Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,494 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids (1500 Views)

Jealousy: See How These Kids Welcome Their Newborn Siblings To The Family(Pics) / Different Kinds Of Nigerian/African Fathers And Their Characters (Meme) / Different Types Of Nigerian Fathers And Their Characteristics - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by ariesbull: 4:15am On Apr 20, 2018
You guys don't get it.
This generation of parents are "over-loving" our kids.

It's a psychology reaction called "Compensation", or negative compensation or coping mechanism.

We are calculating all the love we didn't get from our parents, multiply them by a thousand and transferring them to our kids.

We are used to, "my kids won't suffer what I suffered".

A generation ago, communal living and polygamy would have produced slaps that will cure the madness but we now live in flats, duplexes and semi-detachables. No one cares anymore.

And so the madness produces psychopaths who will one day break their parents hearts and eventually kill them.

Jude Idada wrote;
And we raise psychopaths.

These parents who blame the government for their woes and yet can't raise their own children to be sane, civil, courteous, law-abiding and functional individuals.

My friend came to see me with her son this morning.

A 7 year old.

At the door I exchanged pleasantries with my friend and said hello to her son.

He didn't respond and walked past me, got to the living room, sat on the glass coffee table, picked up the remote control and changed the channel.

His mother didn't say anything.

I told him the glass table will break and he should sit on the couch.

He ignored me.

She said to him.

'Uncle says the table will break, stand up and sit on the couch."

He ignored her.

She continued.

"If you don't stand up, I won't take you to Cold Stone."

He stood up and eyes still fixed on the disney channel he backpedelled to the couch and sat on it.

As they sat in the living room.

I served them drinks and snacks.

He drank his orange juice in one continous flow and then descended on his mother's.

He dranks hers.

And then belched loudly.

Instead of an "excuse me" or an "I'm sorry," he laughed loudly.

His mother's only response was an 'Thats so gross" in addition to her laughter.

I watched on.

Sadly.

As I chatted with my friend, I noticed he was no longer watching the TV but was focused on the remote control.

He had removed the batteries and was fidgetting with it.

I asked him.

"Isn't it working?"

No response.

Then in a couple of minutes he had discarded the remote control on the floor and walked away.

I stood up and picked it up.

Lo and behold he had broken the latch.

I said to her.

"He has broken it."

She said to me.

Helplessly.

"This boy will kill me one day."

Then she called to him.

Over and over again.

No response.

All we heard was the clinking and clanking in the kitchen.

I walked there.

He was rummaging.

"What are you kookinc for."

"A knife and some butter for my crackers."

His tone was cold and dismissive.

I opened the drawer, brought out the knife, opened the refrigerator brought out the tub of butter and handed it to him.

He collected and walked away.

Not a "Thank you."

He gets to the living room, sits down and gets to work.

His mother was typing on her phone.

Not a follow up on the remote.

I sit down and she looks up at me.

"Where were we?"

We continued chatting.

She moaned about the useless country and the geriatric President who is a demon from hell.

She complained about her husband who was all over the place working.

She slyly boasted about the surplus money she was bored of spending.

Then was pretentious in her saying that she needed to get something worthwhile to do.

My eyes strayed between her and her son.

He was making a mess of the butter and the crackers.

Then he spat a mouth full of chewed food on the table in disgust.

I looked at his mom for a reaction.

She just rolled her eyes and shook her head before she said.

"No cold stone for you."

"Why?"

"Because you are being rude and disgusting. Why will you do that?"

"Cos it tastes like shit."

"And you will spit it out on the table?"

"Yes."

"Now clean it up."

"No."

"I'll tell your dad."

"Tell him."

"Uncle will be mad at you."

"I don't care. His butter and crackers suck balls."

I was surprised he could use those words - suck balls.

I looked at her.

She could see my shock.

She said wearily.

"I tell you o. Seven year old with gutter mouth."

Then a question popped into my head.

I asked it.

"How come he is not in school."

She sighed.

"They suspended him."

I turned to him.

He had my watch which I had left on the side table in one hand and the knife in the other.

And he had cut through the strap.

I stood up walked to him and collected both knife and watch from him.

His mother visibly angry asked him.

"Why did you do that?"

He shouted at her.

"Cos you said you are not taking me to Cold stone!"

She looked up at me.

"Jude please come and sit down. Ignore him. He is looking for attention."

There was no sorry from him or her.

I sat down.

He stood up.

And announced.

"I want to go home."

She ignored him and continued speaking to me.

He walked to the door and began screaming while stamping his feet on the floor.

"I want to go home! I want to go home! I want to go home!"

Visibly exhausted and fuming while staying calm.

My friend stood up and said.

"Jude let me take him home. I'll call you."

She walked past him in annoyance, opened the door and stepped out.

He eyeballed her and then me, kissed his teeth and walked out after her.

Then he reached in and slammed the door.

Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by eyinjuege: 5:08am On Apr 20, 2018
So this is a true story?
Your freind is raising a demon.
Meanwhile, why have you excluded the father's responsibility in raisng this child and put all the blame on the mother? Is the father late?
If the father is alive, do you think he suddenly becomes an angel around his father?
I doubt that. Why then have you absolved the father of all responsibility and just assumed its all just the mother's fault that he's a brat?
Meanwhile, govt has no business in the matter anyway, so why bring them in at all? Its not their responsibilty to instill disciplinr in the children you chose to bear

4 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by 4lorunsho(m): 5:52am On Apr 20, 2018
listen to inspiration fm 92.3 today and thank me later

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by gabinogem(m): 6:25am On Apr 20, 2018
Spare the rod, you spoil the child.

4 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Nobody: 6:30am On Apr 20, 2018
That's some overly spoiled seven year old.

It's obvious the mom is doing a poor job.

God help us to raise good kids.

OP, please try and reach out to her and point out her faults. It's not too late to veer to the right track.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by thorpido(m): 6:43am On Apr 20, 2018
That's a spoilt brat.The parents are letting him rot.
Where's the father anyway?

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by blank(f): 7:20am On Apr 20, 2018
If the mother is too soft, the father should be the one to sort him out. I would be ashamed to go out with that boy as my kid. Can't deal.

Modified.

Just seen that the father is always travelling. He has abdicated his responsibility. There is a place for mother's and then there's a place for fathers.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by bukatyne(f): 9:33am On Apr 20, 2018
blank:
If the mother is too soft, the father should be the one to sort him out. I would be ashamed to go out with that boy as my kid. Can't deal.

Modified.

Just seen that the father is always travelling. He has abdicated his responsibility. There is a place for mother's and then there's a place for fathers.

1 Like

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by bukatyne(f): 9:41am On Apr 20, 2018
@ OP:

We need to learn patience from you.

Endure all that bullshit from the boy?

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by lilmax(m): 11:28am On Apr 20, 2018
lol

nigerian setting no be America setting, let's get that into our heads

civilization doesn't mean stupidity
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Atimeset: 11:44am On Apr 20, 2018
OP you try ooo. I will start hinting discipline to him and his mother. 7 years faa! They are ruining that child. Imagine what the society will look like with such adults in years to come. OP, here's another way of helping this child, how about showing the mother your post and people's reaction. That's if she doesn't feel offended? She's your friend afterall.
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 20, 2018
I am yet to meet this set of people.
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 20, 2018
ariesbull:
You guys don't get it.
This generation of parents are "over-loving" our kids.

It's a psychology reaction called "Compensation", or negative compensation or coping mechanism.

We are calculating all the love we didn't get from our parents, multiply them by a thousand and transferring them to our kids.

We are used to, "my kids won't suffer what I suffered".

A generation ago, communal living and polygamy would have produced slaps that will cure the madness but we now live in flats, duplexes and semi-detachables. No one cares anymore.

And so the madness produces psychopaths who will one day break their parents hearts and eventually kill them.

Jude Idada wrote;
And we raise psychopaths.

These parents who blame the government for their woes and yet can't raise their own children to be sane, civil, courteous, law-abiding and functional individuals.

My friend came to see me with her son this morning.

A 7 year old.

At the door I exchanged pleasantries with my friend and said hello to her son.

He didn't respond and walked past me, got to the living room, sat on the glass coffee table, picked up the remote control and changed the channel.

His mother didn't say anything.

I told him the glass table will break and he should sit on the couch.

He ignored me.

She said to him.

'Uncle says the table will break, stand up and sit on the couch."

He ignored her.

She continued.

"If you don't stand up, I won't take you to Cold Stone."

He stood up and eyes still fixed on the disney channel he backpedelled to the couch and sat on it.

As they sat in the living room.

I served them drinks and snacks.

He drank his orange juice in one continous flow and then descended on his mother's.

He dranks hers.

And then belched loudly.

Instead of an "excuse me" or an "I'm sorry," he laughed loudly.

His mother's only response was an 'Thats so gross" in addition to her laughter.

I watched on.

Sadly.

As I chatted with my friend, I noticed he was no longer watching the TV but was focused on the remote control.

He had removed the batteries and was fidgetting with it.

I asked him.

"Isn't it working?"

No response.

Then in a couple of minutes he had discarded the remote control on the floor and walked away.

I stood up and picked it up.

Lo and behold he had broken the latch.

I said to her.

"He has broken it."

She said to me.

Helplessly.

"This boy will kill me one day."

Then she called to him.

Over and over again.

No response.

All we heard was the clinking and clanking in the kitchen.

I walked there.

He was rummaging.

"What are you kookinc for."

"A knife and some butter for my crackers."

His tone was cold and dismissive.

I opened the drawer, brought out the knife, opened the refrigerator brought out the tub of butter and handed it to him.

He collected and walked away.

Not a "Thank you."

He gets to the living room, sits down and gets to work.

His mother was typing on her phone.

Not a follow up on the remote.

I sit down and she looks up at me.

"Where were we?"

We continued chatting.

She moaned about the useless country and the geriatric President who is a demon from hell.

She complained about her husband who was all over the place working.

She slyly boasted about the surplus money she was bored of spending.

Then was pretentious in her saying that she needed to get something worthwhile to do.

My eyes strayed between her and her son.

He was making a mess of the butter and the crackers.

Then he spat a mouth full of chewed food on the table in disgust.

I looked at his mom for a reaction.

She just rolled her eyes and shook her head before she said.

"No cold stone for you."

"Why?"

"Because you are being rude and disgusting. Why will you do that?"

"Cos it tastes like shit."

"And you will spit it out on the table?"

"Yes."

"Now clean it up."

"No."

"I'll tell your dad."

"Tell him."

"Uncle will be mad at you."

"I don't care. His butter and crackers suck balls."

I was surprised he could use those words - suck balls.

I looked at her.

She could see my shock.

She said wearily.

"I tell you o. Seven year old with gutter mouth."

Then a question popped into my head.

I asked it.

"How come he is not in school."

She sighed.

"They suspended him."

I turned to him.

He had my watch which I had left on the side table in one hand and the knife in the other.

And he had cut through the strap.

I stood up walked to him and collected both knife and watch from him.

His mother visibly angry asked him.

"Why did you do that?"

He shouted at her.

"Cos you said you are not taking me to Cold stone!"

She looked up at me.

"Jude please come and sit down. Ignore him. He is looking for attention."

There was no sorry from him or her.

I sat down.

He stood up.

And announced.

"I want to go home."

She ignored him and continued speaking to me.

He walked to the door and began screaming while stamping his feet on the floor.

"I want to go home! I want to go home! I want to go home!"

Visibly exhausted and fuming while staying calm.

My friend stood up and said.

"Jude let me take him home. I'll call you."

She walked past him in annoyance, opened the door and stepped out.

He eyeballed her and then me, kissed his teeth and walked out after her.

Then he reached in and slammed the door.

Lagos.

all i see in your story is a boy who is aping his fathers disregard for his mother. of course, like a typical nigerian, you still blame the mother for this. is it the mother he picked those habits from?

all of those are from direct observation

3 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by livingseed: 9:40pm On Apr 20, 2018
A combined clear-cut example of sick parenting and child abuse. Horrific. Parents should be parents and not friends with thier kids.
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Cromagnon: 3:52am On Apr 21, 2018
Atimeset:
OP you try ooo. I will start hinting discipline to him and his mother. 7 years faa! They are ruining that child. Imagine what the society will look like with such adults in years to come. OP, here's another way of helping this child, how about showing the mother your post and people's reaction. That's if she doesn't feel offended? She's your friend afterall.
never fear
shebi dem no gree learn for house
we go teach dem outside

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Cromagnon: 3:53am On Apr 21, 2018
oyb:

all i see in your story is a boy who is aping his fathers disregard for his mother. of course, like a typical nigerian, you still blame the mother for this. is it the mother he picked those habits from?

all of those are from direct observation
na so your mama raise you
till today dem no born me to look my mama eyes
de dia de form yankee you hia no train your pikin

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 21, 2018
Cromagnon:
na so your mama raise you
till today dem no born me to look my mama eyes
de dia de form yankee you hia no train your pikin

You are the sort of dunce Buhari was talking about. Let me break this down to you in a language your slow witted brain will understand. If you grow up in a house where your dad is constantly spitting every where, you will do the same.
If you grow up in a house where your dad eats anywhere and anyhow, you will do the same.

That boys behavior was learnt from someone. And that someone is the father figure in the house.

Do you ever read news? You see that metuh fellow, who brought security agents to deal with a teacher who disciplined his child? That man is an all out thug. Will you also blame the mother for the behavior of the man's sons?

Do you get it now? An even simpler example is you grew up in a house hold of barely literate, unreflecting, manner less parents, which is why you have grown up to be an uncouth bum who insults people without thinking.

Classic example of the issue referred to.

If the woman was more aggressive, she might be able to counter the dads influence, but it seems she is a doormat in this marriage, unfortunately.

6 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by memories1(f): 9:59pm On Apr 21, 2018
I can't have a spoilt child in my hands, by God's grace. I'll lovingly smack that bullsh*t out of the child before it accumulates to the point of talking back at me, giving me attitude or disregarding my instructions.
Whether dad is there or not, discipline and communication are major keys to raising a well-adjusted child.
My opinion.
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by ImaIma1(f): 11:05am On Apr 23, 2018
memories1:
I can't have a spoilt child in my hands, by God's grace. I'll [b]lovingly smack [/b]that bullsh*t out of the child before it accumulates to the point of talking back at me, giving me attitude or disregarding my instructions.
Whether dad is there or not, discipline and communication are major keys to raising a well-adjusted child.
My opinion.

Seriously, i will brush the child with love. It is for the child's good. I am allergic to spoilt kids. The writer tried. I would have shouted at him and put him straight so much that he will always behave around me.
Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by KevinDein: 9:36pm On Apr 23, 2018
oyb:

You are the sort of dunce Buhari was talking about. Let me break this down to you in a language your slow witted brain will understand. If you grow up in a house where your dad is constantly spitting every where, you will do the same.
If you grow up in a house where your dad eats anywhere and anyhow, you will do the same.

That boys behavior was learnt from someone. And that someone is the father figure in the house.

Do you ever read news? You see that metuh fellow, who brought security agents to deal with a teacher who disciplined his child? That man is an all out thug. Will you also blame the mother for the behavior of the man's sons?

Do you get it now? An even simpler example is you grew up in a house hold of barely literate, unreflecting, manner less parents, which is why you have grown up to be an uncouth bum who insults people without thinking.

If the woman was more aggressive, she might be able to counter the dads influence, but it seems she is a doormat in this marriage, unfortunately.
Hahahahahha grin

This comment got the most likes because it placed the blame on the father, lol. Classic family section. grin

So you concluded the kid learnt the bad habits from someone and you seem damn sure it's from the dad even though the op didn't say anything to indicate that. And then you had the nerve to call someone else dunce.

Totally amusing stuff here grin

1 Like

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by ell77(f): 10:46pm On Apr 23, 2018
Wow! I don;t know whether to cry or be disgusted.

OP, you did show restraint indeed as I can imagine how you felt especially as the child spat on your table and disfigured your watch.

However, just to turn this argument on its head, have you considered there may be a learning disorder with this child?

I have heard of spoilt kids in Nigeria now becoming a reality but this is excessive. Although I believe manners and discipline are necessary for every child, perhaps this child has autism or Asperger's. Very rare, overdiagnosed and difficult to differentiate from things like ADHD or sleeping issues for instance. [Possibility 1]

Another possibility, are you sure this child was not acting up because he did not want his mother to visit you? As a male, perhaps he has been trained to protect his mother or otherwise is naturally protective of his parents marriage to the point he misbehaves in your presence so that his mother is forced to leave. Although this does not explain why the child was excluded from school.[Possibility 2]

Child abuse. Often the first sign of any form of child abuse is acting out (which can include neglect - after all why was he hungry and why did he enter the kitchen to get a snack for himself when two adults were there). [Possibility 3]

Of course I don't know this family and from what you described, personally I AGREE WITH YOU. But as this child is seven years old, it begs the question how and why he became so out of control. As a mother myself, I would look into this closely. If this is a simple case of spoiling the child, they are ruining his life, being excluded from school is a BIG red flag.

The good news is, if it is only a case of the parent's being a soft touch (unlike the other 3 possibilities), with proper support for the child this is easily remedied at this age. By support, I mean a combination of the carrot and the stick. The carrot being rewards for good behaviour (simple praise and spending time with the child are the best rewards, not monetary or materials items) and the stick being punishment or discipline as the parents see fit. The discipline has to work though, no point using a technique the child doesn't respond to (like the cold stone threat)!

What do you think? Are any of the other possibilities I mentioned a possible option?

1 Like

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 23, 2018
KevinDein:

Hahahahahha grin

This comment got the most likes because it placed the blame on the father, lol. Classic family section. grin

So you concluded the kid learnt the bad habits from someone and you seem damn sure it's from the dad even though the op didn't say anything to indicate that. And then you had the nerve to call someone else dunce.

Totally amusing stuff here grin

I am a father, and I see my son pick my habits all the time, even my bad ones. It's almost funny sometimes. I am constantly policing the guy, and one day I was in school at an event with him, and he was policing his classmates.

We have had no maid or help for the last two years, so I do house chores. The boy has happily taken to washing dishes because he sees his dad do it.

My dads voice used to rise when he was angry, and now mine does, and that is bad. I am hoping my son does not pick it.

Whether you like it or not, your kids will imitate you.

2 Likes

Re: Mothers Not Fathers And Government Spoiling These Kids by Cromagnon: 11:56pm On Apr 25, 2018
oyb:

You are the sort of dunce Buhari was talking about.
No.you are

Let me break this down to you in a language your slow witted brain will understand. If you grow up in a house where your dad is constantly spitting every where, you will do the same.
So mothers don't eat anyhow and anywhere
Who is usually with the child.how many fathers are at home with kids.you see your imbecility

Yeah the father that leaves bfor child wakes and returns after he's slept
I can see ur intelligence level

There are more stories with mothers taking thugs to beat teachers.so he's I blame them

Anyone can see I only responded to ur lack kaf motherly trainings

if the mother were more aggressive that child would be dead from learning the hard way that that is not the way to behave i

(1) (Reply)

*RAW UNREFINED PALM KERNEL OIL AVAILABLE IN LAGOS, NIGERIA* / 5 Reasons Never To Give Your Kids Religious Name. / Issues Arising After My Father Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.