Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92829 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by mykohayz(m): 10:16pm On Jul 26, 2019
Ugosample:

apparently she is caught up with the vicissitudes of life

Lol...I'm thinking probably she's married now, hence, the time constraints to come on here for regular updates is substituted for tending to family matters smiley
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by NNEWIsuper: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2019
theamerican:
@Kalu61

I'll let it go. You failed to answer simple questions: where can 4m buy you a land in Lagos and/or what business can you do with it? Also, I simply explained how people go abroad for quality of life. Apparently, we see quality of life differently so I'll let that go.

You missed the whole point I was passing across so I'll leave you to keep reading and maybe someday, you finally get it. Your "most of the people over there, most of you guys over there" claims show how out of touch you are with reality.

I don't argue with people who can't make counter-arguments without using insults, missing the point, or attacking the other person. You want to defend your country, all well and good.

Have a great day. grin grin grin

PS. This thread isn't an attack on any Nigerian's decision to remain in Nigeria. It's a platform to rub minds on the attractions abroad and if they're worth migrating for. Do you even have that 4m Naira? Lol... do you know how long it would take to have 4m Naira cash in your account?

Nigerian banks will give loans worth hundreds of millions of Naira to corrupt politicians but wouldn't give promising minds ordinary 50k. Go and apply for that 4m Naira loan to set up that awesome business of yours, come back and explain your finding(s).

I rest my case with you. God bless you.
how do I migrate to the USA, I'm a medical doctor...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by KingT001: 12:43pm On Jul 28, 2019
Thanks for all the support and kind words you all have contributed in making people achieve their goals in life.
I'm a newbie in Germany study Visa, I'm planning to apply for master degree program in Germany summer intake 2020 which most schools should start application November I've series of questions and please I'll need your help as not to make mistakes
1)can I get Admission into master program with a third class honors in pure and industrial chemistry from Nigeria ?
2) Is it possible to switch to Management or business related courses for masters with my degree in pure and industrial chemistry ?

3) is there any recommendaed University from anyone ?

Thanks
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by effluxpump(m): 7:32pm On Jul 28, 2019
Berliner1:
I always tell people, come here legally and u will regret staying in Nigeria.

I will rather say God bless Germany than mentioning Nigeria.

Going on europe tour as if you are going to Ikeja.

Access to free education, plenty student job( averagely €1500=650k per month after tax), many easy way to become a german citizen,free semester ticket( you can travel a whole state 247 without paying kobo.

From nursery school to PhD education in Germany is 100% free for everyone.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand.

Please where can one get this in Nigeria?

Who ever tell you to stay back in Nigeria is your village member holding u back.

Theres no comparism between heaven and hell fire.

God bless Germany.

Going on world tour in December, any europe based dude interest in co ride can holla.

Greetings from the Capital of Europe(Berlin)

Hello brother, for a person that want to move over to Germany for his Msc but with little fund to open a block account and other requirements, any help on ways I can still achieve this my dream?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Predstan: 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2019
effluxpump:

Hello brother, for a person that want to move over to Germany for his Msc but with little fund to open a block account and other requirements, any help on ways I can still achieve this my dream?

Sponsor letter or Scholarship. If you have none of these three, then you may want to consider another country or get a Masters here in Nigeria and apply for PhD in Germany which can come with mouth watering stipend to cater for your living expenses

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by kalu61(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2019
Predstan:

Sponsor letter or Scholarship. If you have none of these three, then you may want to consider another country or get a Masters here in Nigeria and apply for PhD in Germany which can come with mouth watering stipend to cater for your living expenses
Good idea. I'm considering apply for my PhD is Germany by this time next year.Think, l will need update
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 11, 2019
Berliner1:

Access to free education, plenty student job( averagely €1500=650k per month after tax), many easy way to become a german citizen,free semester ticket( you can travel a whole state 247 without paying kobo.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand

Loans /credit card without collateral for NonEU students What’s the catch ?
And also what kinda of job in Germany pays 1500 /month for a student ?
That must be internship or werkstudent job or else I don’t think the average is 1500
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Duchesskenny: 10:18pm On Nov 03, 2019
Good evening everyone, pls I need advice urgently. I have been waiting for appointment date from the embassy since July and no response till now, again the course I filled was different from the course the school gave me. How do I go about it. Is there something I am not doing right pls?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by OluOla2019: 3:33am On Jan 05, 2020
Hi bro
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by OluOla2019: 3:34am On Jan 05, 2020
Hi bro

Berliner1:
I always tell people, come here legally and u will regret staying in Nigeria.

I will rather say God bless Germany than mentioning Nigeria.

From nursery school to PhD education in Germany is 100% free for everyone.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand.

Please where can one get this in Nigeria?

Who ever tell you to stay back in Nigeria is your village member holding u back.

Theres no comparism between heaven and hell fire.

God bless Germany.

Going on world tour in December, any europe based dude interest in co ride can holla.

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by RuggedSniper: 9:22pm On Nov 16, 2020
EMMAACHILE (PG18) Life for average Nigerians in America by Ella Sesay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNg5LOW5V0
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by RuggedSniper: 9:44pm On Nov 16, 2020
theamerican:

This is exactly the reason I created this thread. Many people don't tell the whole story. many cannot get professional Job's after school is often taken out of context. I'll try to explain some things.

These countries have strict immigration laws. There is a system, and I promise you, those systems work. Visa for visitors, students, workers, etc. are such labeled because that's all they are supposed to be. There are restrictions for visitors, students, non-residents in general, etc. People start encountering problems when they try to do something contrary to how the society was designed to work.

Before leaving Nigeria, many people are aware of the restrictions of their visa. When you hear that visitors aren't allowed to work, or students shouldn't work more than 10/20 hours weekly or that foreigners are taxed at a higher percentage than residents/citizens, you know what you're signing up for before traveling. It's stupid for anyone to get there and complain.

If you understand the system and make plans for how to blend with it, you will avoid most problems. If they give visa to visit or simply study, do just that. If you decide to violate the terms of the visa, you lose the right to complain. Whatever you face afterwards is your own doing. I promise you, it's still a lot better than what you'll face in Nigeria.

Like people have said on here, majority of those who complain are people who are abroad without proper documentation, qualification, yet, they expect too much from the host country. There are success stories everywhere, just like there are stories of failures. In the end, everyone's gonna be ok.

WORD!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by fidocarso: 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2020
@kalu61 @EMMAACHILE @ Nig4Greatness.
Do any of you still hold the same stance regarding Nigeria as you did when this thread was active? I am calling you 3 because you held the strongest voice.

Someone here, I think travelland or one of pidgin2's numerous other moniker also talked about not encountering SARS because they mind their business and don't move with with the wrong crowd, do you still feel that way?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 2:35pm On Nov 19, 2020
fidocarso:
@kalu61 @EMMAACHILE @ Nig4Greatness.
Do any of you still hold the same stance regarding Nigeria as you did when this thread was active? I am calling you 3 because you held the strongest voice.

Someone here, I think travelland or one of pidgin2's numerous other moniker also talked about not encountering SARS because they mind their business and don't move with with the wrong crowd, do you still feel that way?

What stance are you referring to really??.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by EmmanuelAndrews: 11:05am On Mar 27, 2021
Haven gone through everyone's comments and thoughts I'll say kudos to individuals who kept the thread alive up till 2020. Now this is 2021 I am begging to ask the question. Those of you with the make Nigeria great again mentality do you still have such dream that Nigeria would be great again ? and would love to remain here?I just want to know. Because I myself is planning on relocating to Canada hopefully the pandemic is over soon and everything is back to normal. PS , and I don't want to hear from the group who will advise me to stay here stay here and do what exactly?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 27, 2021
justwise:
[/b]

You make it sound so easy as if they can walk into a bank or any office in Nigeria and get €8700 or sponsorship letter.

To get a German student visa and travel to Germany one need at least €900 and you are here sugar coating it.

You talked about loan in Germany..can you explain the conditions involved in getting a loan as a foreign student?

This is an old thread, yes, but I needed to tell you something. You’re highly pessimistic!

Way over the top pessimistic. Granted, it’s very good to ask questions. But your questions come from already set negative assumptions. I noticed your not-so-subtle attacks on a gentle senior citizen with a similar thread.

And it’s sad people have to read your comments because you’re a Mod. Better still, if you must comment, be unassuming or counter arguments about travel with valid facts.

By the way, what country are you currently based in?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by justwise(m): 12:35pm On Mar 27, 2021
iamadonis2:

This is an old thread, yes, but I needed to tell you something. You’re highly pessimistic!

Way over the top pessimistic. Granted, it’s very good to ask questions. But your questions come from already set negative assumptions. I noticed your not-so-subtle attacks on a gentle senior citizen with a similar thread.

And it’s sad people have to read your comments because you’re a Mod. Better still, if you must comment, be unassuming or counter arguments about travel with valid facts.

So you happened to be one of the sad ones to read my post of 3yrs? You did not dispute anything i said on the post you quoted but you only worried about how i said it?

Dispute my post with facts and not poor attempt to insult me.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by ednut1(m): 3:15pm On Mar 27, 2021
iamadonis2:

people including you don't usually want to hear the truth.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2021
iamadonis2:

Berra be careful you na go chop ban now na justwise you dey follow drag I piry you grin
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2021
justwise:

So you happened to be one of the sad ones to read my post of 3yrs? You did not dispute anything i said on the post you quoted but you only worried about how i said it?

Dispute my post with facts and not poor attempt to insult me.

Easy Bro.

If I’ve got under your skin, picture how that retiree on the other thread must have felt when you went all out for him.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Mar 27, 2021
ednut1:
people including you don't usually want to hear the truth.

Truth is relative. And In fairness to justwise, he hasn’t said any that I’ve seen

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by justwise(m): 10:11pm On Mar 27, 2021
iamadonis2:

Easy Bro.

If I’ve got under your skin, picture how that retiree on the other thread must have felt when you went all out for him.

You can’t.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ndipe(m): 6:48pm On Aug 04, 2023
Abroad, like any other place, has its good and its bad sides.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by IbeOkehie: 9:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
kalu61:
From your write up mehn it seems the shithole country is frustrating you. Anyways, people are carving niches for themselves. €8k is about 4m +. l guess if you get the money, you will not know what to do with it. Opportunity comes to those who are prepared for it.

What's the 4 million naira worth today? 🤔

theamerican:
Dear @Kalu61

I understand how patriotic you are and how you believe staying in Nigeria and setting up your own business with money, becoming a landlord, etc. is better than being abroad, that is fine. It's clear where your priorities lie and what you see as a fulfilled life. To each his own.

Without being condescending, it seems you have absolutely NO idea why people seek greener pastures to developed countries. You converted 8k euros to 4m Naira and because it's in millions, you think it's a fortune? Not everyone wants to be a landlord in Ikorodu, Epe or Sango (No disrespect to people who live there).

Nigeria is a failed state. Do you know how many death-traps they import into Nigeria as salvaged cars that people drive on the roads? Do you know how many illegal drugs are on the market because the "owners" bribed their way through the agencies supposed to control these? God forbid your daughter goes to a rich man's son's house, gets raped and you want justice.

Which land can 4m Naira buy? Lol. How many Old people are suffering because there is no system in place for them for life after retirement? That's even if they lived a worthy life before retirement. The state of unhealthy foods in Nigerian restaurants with no regulations in place? The smoke you inhale every day from horrible buses and cars that should never be on the roads!

My God, if we start talking about reasons to leave Nigeria, I'll be 95 before I stop. What business if I may ask can you set up in Nigeria with 4m Naira? (Please don't talk about open a sports betting shop/importing goods from dubai, selling oil, rice, garri and those 16th century business ideas). Do you know how many people have invested and failed, with customers owing them all over? You can't even track a customer down, sue to court to get your money back, etc.

You shouldn't compare a working system to a non-existent system. I'd choose life here in the U.S with NO savings but a roof over my head in a rented apartment, my kids in school, food on my table, etc., over living in even Lekki as a landlord and being at the mercy of a failed country and leaders.

Good lord, educate yourself! Do you know it's illegal for your kids to not go to school? The average American kid goes to school!!! Can read AND write. You constantly have to prove you're fit to be a parent else you lose custody of your kids. How many kids are in Makoko, suffering and have no idea what the future holds?

Don't get me started. "People are overseas for 20 years but don't have even a room here" . How is this a yardstick to measure a fulfilled life? Some people in Nigeria have never even seen a dishwasher/washer/drier before. Many think using them is "Lazy", haha... basic things that make life easy. I'll just leave you to your mindset.

Again, your reasons for deciding to stay is best known to you. Don't let blind patriotism cloud your good judgment.

Finally, you have absolutely no clue how WORTHLESS the Nigerian passport is. As they always say, a good name is better than gold and silver. Get into a fight with any Foreigner (American/European for example) in that Nigeria of yours and let your police judge the matter. You'll know how useless the country is.

😊

Thanks for telling them all this 5 years ago. I think eyes would have opened by now but with Nigerians...their brains have been so fried with suffering and desperation they can't think straight.....

Good Luck to Nigerians.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Oluseyi001: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2023
Nice one, una don talk am finish
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by stepo707: 12:36pm On Nov 05, 2023
theamerican:
Dear @Kalu61

I understand how patriotic you are and how you believe staying in Nigeria and setting up your own business with money, becoming a landlord, etc. is better than being abroad, that is fine. It's clear where your priorities lie and what you see as a fulfilled life. To each his own.

Without being condescending, it seems you have absolutely NO idea why people seek greener pastures to developed countries. You converted 8k euros to 4m Naira and because it's in millions, you think it's a fortune? Not everyone wants to be a landlord in Ikorodu, Epe or Sango (No disrespect to people who live there).

Nigeria is a failed state. Do you know how many death-traps they import into Nigeria as salvaged cars that people drive on the roads? Do you know how many illegal drugs are on the market because the "owners" bribed their way through the agencies supposed to control these? God forbid your daughter goes to a rich man's son's house, gets raped and you want justice.

Which land can 4m Naira buy? Lol. How many Old people are suffering because there is no system in place for them for life after retirement? That's even if they lived a worthy life before retirement. The state of unhealthy foods in Nigerian restaurants with no regulations in place? The smoke you inhale every day from horrible buses and cars that should never be on the roads!

My God, if we start talking about reasons to leave Nigeria, I'll be 95 before I stop. What business if I may ask can you set up in Nigeria with 4m Naira? (Please don't talk about open a sports betting shop/importing goods from dubai, selling oil, rice, garri and those 16th century business ideas). Do you know how many people have invested and failed, with customers owing them all over? You can't even track a customer down, sue to court to get your money back, etc.

You shouldn't compare a working system to a non-existent system. I'd choose life here in the U.S with NO savings but a roof over my head in a rented apartment, my kids in school, food on my table, etc., over living in even Lekki as a landlord and being at the mercy of a failed country and leaders.

Good lord, educate yourself! Do you know it's illegal for your kids to not go to school? The average American kid goes to school!!! Can read AND write. You constantly have to prove you're fit to be a parent else you lose custody of your kids. How many kids are in Makoko, suffering and have no idea what the future holds?

Don't get me started. "People are overseas for 20 years but don't have even a room here" . How is this a yardstick to measure a fulfilled life? Some people in Nigeria have never even seen a dishwasher/washer/drier before. Many think using them is "Lazy", haha... basic things that make life easy. I'll just leave you to your mindset.

Again, your reasons for deciding to stay is best known to you. Don't let blind patriotism cloud your good judgment.

Finally, you have absolutely no clue how WORTHLESS the Nigerian passport is. As they always say, a good name is better than gold and silver. Get into a fight with any Foreigner (American/European for example) in that Nigeria of yours and let your police judge the matter. You'll know how useless the country is.
I love how you write. So clear and lovely writeup

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (Reply)

Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Dead Bodies From The Helicopter Crash In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.