Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,946 members, 7,814,206 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? (1335 Views)

Taking A Bold Step To Know If I Have Kidney Disease Or Something Else / 10 Signs You May Have Kidney Disease. / 20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by MAKABBEY(m): 10:33am On Apr 22, 2018
Hello once again, i believe you must have asked your doctors or wondering in your mind that Why me? why kidney stones?. Well you should not be too worry or sad because Kidney stones often have no definite, single cause, although several factors may increase your risk.

here are the factors that may caused or increase your risk

Family or Personal history: If someone in your family has kidney stones, you're more likely to develop stones, too. And if you've already had one or more kidney stones, you're at increased risk of developing another.
Dehydration: Not drinking enough water each day can increase your risk of kidney stones. People who live in warm climates and those who sweat a lot may be at higher risk than others.
Certain diets: Eating a diet that's high in protein, sodium (salt) and sugar may increase your risk of some types of kidney stones. This is especially true with a high-sodium diet. Too much salt in your diet increases the amount of calcium your kidneys must filter and significantly increases your risk of kidney stones.
Being obese: High body mass index (BMI), large waist size and weight gain have been linked to an increased risk of kidney stones.
Digestive diseases and surgery. Gastric bypass surgery, inflammatory bowel disease or chronic diarrhea can cause changes in the digestive process that affect your absorption of calcium and water, increasing the levels of stone-forming substances in your urine.
Other medical conditions: Diseases and conditions that may increase your risk of kidney stones include renal tubular acidosis, cystinuria, hyperparathyroidism, certain medications and some urinary tract infections.

I know believe that i have answer that questions in your mind.. Feel free to relate and ask me any questions

Bes Regards!

Makinde
Health Educator & Researcher,
+2348064529966

Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by nkwuocha1: 7:06pm On May 29, 2018
MAKABBEY:
Hello once again, i believe you must have asked your doctors or wondering in your mind that Why me? why kidney stones?. Well you should not be too worry or sad because Kidney stones often have no definite, single cause, although several factors may increase your risk.

here are the factors that may caused or increase your risk

Family or Personal history: If someone in your family has kidney stones, you're more likely to develop stones, too. And if you've already had one or more kidney stones, you're at increased risk of developing another.
Dehydration: Not drinking enough water each day can increase your risk of kidney stones. People who live in warm climates and those who sweat a lot may be at higher risk than others.
Certain diets: Eating a diet that's high in protein, sodium (salt) and sugar may increase your risk of some types of kidney stones. This is especially true with a high-sodium diet. Too much salt in your diet increases the amount of calcium your kidneys must filter and significantly increases your risk of kidney stones.
Being obese: High body mass index (BMI), large waist size and weight gain have been linked to an increased risk of kidney stones.
Digestive diseases and surgery. Gastric bypass surgery, inflammatory bowel disease or chronic diarrhea can cause changes in the digestive process that affect your absorption of calcium and water, increasing the levels of stone-forming substances in your urine.
Other medical conditions: Diseases and conditions that may increase your risk of kidney stones include renal tubular acidosis, cystinuria, hyperparathyroidism, certain medications and some urinary tract infections.

I know believe that i have answer that questions in your mind.. Feel free to relate and ask me any questions

Bes Regards!

Makinde
Health Educator & Researcher,
+2348064529966

Please I have a family member without kidney stones,cretinine level normal no protein in the urine yet still urinates at night and complain of smelly urine and pains around the rib/chest region.Scan shows no heart issues.Scan on kidney shows a kidney bigger than the other.
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by MAKABBEY(m): 6:29am On Jun 01, 2018
nkwuocha1:

Please I have a family member without kidney stones,cretinine level normal no protein in the urine yet still urinates at night and complain of smelly urine and pains around the rib/chest region.Scan shows no heart issues.Scan on kidney shows a kidney bigger than the other.

its kidney infections
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by MAKABBEY(m): 6:34am On Jun 01, 2018
What symptoms Are You having?

I believe you are doing Fine? I want to remind you that kidney stone forms when too much of certain minerals in your body accumulate in your urine. When you aren’t well hydrated, your urine becomes more concentrated with higher levels of certain minerals. When mineral levels are higher, it’s more likely that a kidney stone will form.

About 1 out of every 11 people in the Nigeria will get a kidney stone. Stones are more common in men, people who are obese, and those who have diabetes.Here are signs and symptoms that you may have kidney stones.

Pain in the back, belly, or side

Kidney stone pain — also known as renal colic — is one of the most severe types of pain imaginable. Some people who’ve experienced kidney stones compare the pain to childbirth or getting stabbed with a knife.

The pain is intense enough to account for more than 1 million visits to emergency rooms each year.

Usually the pain starts when a stone moves into the narrow ureter. This causes a blockage, which makes pressure build up in the kidney.

The pressure activates nerve fibers that transmit pain signals to the brain.

Kidney stone pain often starts suddenly. As the stone moves, the pain changes location and intensity.

Pain often comes and goes in waves, which is made worse by the ureters contracting as they try to push the stone out. Each wave may last for a few minutes, disappear, and then come back again.

You’ll feel the pain along your side and back, below your ribs. It may radiate to your belly and groin area as the stone moves down through your urinary tract.

Large stones can be more painful than small ones, but the severity of pain doesn’t necessarily relate to the size of the stone. Even a little stone can be painful as it moves or causes a blockage.

Pain or burning during urination

Once the stone reaches the junction between the ureter and bladder, you’ll start to feel pain when you urinate. Your doctor might call this dysuria.

The pain can feel sharp or burning. If you don’t know you have a kidney stone, you might mistake it for a urinary tract infection. Sometimes you can have an infection along with the stone.

Urgent need to go

Needing to go to the bathroom more urgently or frequently than usual is another sign that the stone has moved into the lower part of your urinary tract. You may find yourself running to the bathroom, or needing to go constantly throughout the day and night.

Blood in the urine

Blood in the urine is a common symptom in people with urinary tract stones. This symptom is also called hematuria.

The blood can be red, pink, or brown. Sometimes the blood cells are too small to see without a microscope (called microscopic hematuria),

Cloudy or smelly urine

Healthy urine is clear and doesn’t have a strong odor. Cloudy or foul-smelling urine could be a sign of an infection in your kidneys or another part of your urinary tract.

One study found that about 8 percent of people with acute kidney stones had a urinary tract infection. Cloudiness is a sign of pus in the urine, or pyuria. The smell can come from the bacteria that cause urinary tract infections. An odor may also come from urine that’s more concentrated than normal.
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by RemedyLab: 6:52am On Jun 01, 2018
On point... following
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by nkwuocha1: 8:04am On Jun 01, 2018
MAKABBEY:

its kidney infections

How bad can this be?Is it something to get agitated about?like surgery.Results shows"kidney appears to be normal"
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by ibori1(m): 8:52am On Jun 01, 2018
hmmmnm

Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by MAKABBEY(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2018
nkwuocha1:

How bad can this be?Is it something to get agitated about?like surgery.Results shows"kidney appears to be normal"

Kidney infection is caused due to bacteria, and should be taken serious because if left untreated, it can cause kidney disease. It does not need Surgery, just treat the bacteria and all is well.
Re: Why Did I Have Kidney Stones? by MAKABBEY(m): 12:42pm On Jun 09, 2018
Be Water Wise

Keep your kidneys healthy by being “water wise.” This means drinking the right amount of water for you. A common misconception is that everyone should drink eight glasses of water per day, but since everyone is different, daily water needs will vary by person. How much water you need is based on differences in age, climate, exercise intensity, as well as states of pregnancy, breastfeeding, and illness.

About 60-70% of your body weight is made up of water, and every part of your body needs it to function properly. Water helps the kidneys remove wastes from your blood in the form of urine. Water also helps keep your blood vessels open so that blood can travel freely to your kidneys, and deliver essential nutrients to them.

But if you become dehydrated, then it is more difficult for this delivery system to work. Mild dehydration can make you feel tired, and can impair normal bodily functions. Severe dehydration can lead to kidney damage, so it is important to drink enough when you work or exercise very hard, and especially in warm and humid weather.
Tips to help you water wise[center][/center]

Eight is great, but not set in stone. The Institute of Medicine has estimated that men need approximately 13 cups (3 liters) of fluid daily, and that women need approximately 9 cups (2.2 liters) of fluid daily.

Less is more if you have kidney failure (a.k.a. end stage kidney disease). When the kidneys fail, people don’t excrete enough water, if any at all. For those who are receiving dialysis treatment, water must actually be greatly restricted.

It’s possible to drink too much water. Though it is not very common for this to happen in the average person, endurance athletes like marathoners may drink large amounts of water and thereby dilute the sodium level in their blood, resulting in a dangerous condition called hyponatremia.

Your urine can reveal a lot. For the average person, “water wise” means drinking enough water or other healthy fluids, such as unsweetened juice or low fat milk to quench thirst and to keep your urine light yellow or colorless. When your urine is dark yellow, this indicates that you are dehydrated. You should be making about 1.5 liters of urine daily (about 6 cups).

H2O helps prevent kidney stones and UTIs. Kidney stones and urinary tract infections (UTIs) are two common medical conditions that can hurt the kidneys, and for which good hydration is essential. Kidney stones form less easily when there is sufficient water available to prevent stone-forming crystals from sticking together. Water helps dissolve the antibiotics used to treat urinary tract infections, making them more effective. Drinking enough water also helps produce more urine, which helps to flush out infection-causing bacteria.

Remember….when “water wise,” healthy kidneys are the prize

Have a nice weeked

(1) (Reply)

Solution To diabetes,tuberculosis,hermoroid. / Nigerian Man Raises Alarm Over Fake Bama (mayonnaise) / Please Guys Ulcer Is Killing Me Slowly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.