Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film (20660 Views)

Bbnaija Season 7 Cost ₦4.7 Billion To Produce - Multichoice / Netflix Partners With Kunle Afolayan To Produce Three Films (Video) / David Oyelowo, Oprah Winfrey To Produce Yvonne Orji’s Comedy Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by actiondrilling: 12:30pm On Apr 22, 2018
A Nigerian graduate student at the New York University, Faraday Okoro has won a transformative grant of $1m to produce a film.

Okoro was among five finalists listed for an award being given by AT&T, the Tribeca Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Institute to a promising young filmmaker, with a focus on underrepresented perspectives.

After a game-show-like pitch-off, Okoro won the transformative grant. His thesis project would have a million-dollar budget.

But the money came with pressure: For example, it was to be filmed in Africa.

The film, “Nigerian Prince,” follows a Nigerian-American high schooler whose mother sends him to live with his aunt in Lagos. There he befriends his cousin, a professional scammer who sends phishing emails, among other deceitful business pursuits.

Winning a $1 million grant to make his film was “much different than winning the lottery,” Faraday said, “because I still had to make the movie for it to mean anything. And I could really feel that.”

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/04/nigerian-graduate-student-wins-1m-to.html

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by AnonymousIP: 12:37pm On Apr 22, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by kolawoleibukun: 12:37pm On Apr 22, 2018
With that cash he don pay dem rita dominic finish na. all dem saint obi dem no cost reach 2 million na. even you can ask Omotola to remove her panties for 4 million naira movie.

1million $$ is too much oo. A whole Oscar winning actress Mo'nique was paid $50k for Precious. If you add 3 US actors $150k plus dem groundnut actors dem. Ann Njemanze and dem good actors that will collect 1-2 million in naira. You don act the film finish na. depends on the place. this alone is promo to the movie. so once it is out, the demand will rise.

Mama G or even Liz Benson and Joke Silva dem go take 2-4 million naira for the film. and Dolly Unachukwu omo I miss that woman.

Our male actors na free dem go act am self. You can put use Majek Fashek as houseboy in the film for 100k naira. You can use Phyno to do gateman in the movie and use Cossy orjiakor to carry pot of water barefooted for 70k naira.

go for better solid up and coming who hass been exposed to foreign waka-pass. the film don set. $1m too much sef.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by abbaapple: 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
angry

Maka why?
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by glowithdan(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nice one...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Mckandre(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
igbo amaka,we re everywhere?

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nice on bro

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by StarUp: 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
actiondrilling:
A Nigerian graduate student at the New York University, Faraday Okoro has won a transformative grant of $1m to produce a film.

Okoro was among five finalists listed for an award being given by AT&T, the Tribeca Film Festival and the Tribeca Film Institute to a promising young filmmaker, with a focus on underrepresented perspectives.

After a game-show-like pitch-off, Okoro won the transformative grant. His thesis project would have a million-dollar budget.

But the money came with pressure: For example, it was to be filmed in Africa.

The film, “Nigerian Prince,” follows a Nigerian-American high schooler whose mother sends him to live with his aunt in Lagos. There he befriends his cousin, a professional scammer who sends phishing emails, among other deceitful business pursuits.

Winning a $1 million grant to make his film was “much different than winning the lottery,” Faraday said, “because I still had to make the movie for it to mean anything. And I could really feel that.”

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/04/nigerian-graduate-student-wins-1m-to.html

Biko tell that Okoro's son that am available for a role in the movie... if I can't enjoy oil money like Yusuf(the President's son) let me at least enjoy part of the $1m grant money grin

BTW I've noticed that Americans are always eager to sponsor what will put Africa (especially Nigeria) in a bad picture: My guy took advantage of that knowledge and won himself $1m grant: Igbo people too get business sense aswear.

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by RonJeremy: 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Another Lazy Nigerian Youth doing us proud........ Get your PVC, we are sending Buhari and his son Yusufu to Daura permanently come 2019

46 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by englishmart(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
I am a proud lazy youth.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by kuanvevo(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
.better use money buy land keep

You wan use $1mill produce film for naija. Ok

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Psyrus(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
G man don show
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
igbo amaka

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by zicoraads: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
This guy wan cast homeboys grin cheesy

Congratulations to him. He's a hardworking yoot grin

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by amnwa(m): 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
winkW
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
well at least he got the money
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by abbaapple: 12:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
kolawoleibukun:
hh

Your mumu don do na! angry
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by BruncleZuma: 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
grin grin grin grin

Niccur stole my ideas - Blackface

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by lilfreezy: 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nigeria youth doing us proud while our president is fvcking the whole country up

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by BlackPantherxXx: 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
a $1million grant to ridicule your own country.

He shouldn't forget the sequels

"The Biafuroan Drug Lord"

"The Potopotorian BabySeller & Ritualist"

"The Aba Jewish Wh0res"

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by sapeleboi(m): 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2018
undecided they have started again *world people*
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by veacea: 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
Pls somebody should inform baba of this development
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by pampamafolabi8: 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
Good one
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Adonis86(m): 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
I came just to check name, wasn't disappointed anyway... Afonjas won't like this news. Proudly Igboid.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Uso1: 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
And some one said we are lazy. Please prepare your pvc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by veacea: 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2018
kuanvevo:
I

kolawoleibukun:
hh

StarUp:
G

I don get buyer for these una plot of land ooooooo. How much is the last price?
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2018
So they give you $1m to perpetuate the demonizing and stereotyping of the ordinarily hardworking Nigerian youth?

I'd be offended if it was me.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Obinkita(m): 12:43pm On Apr 22, 2018
That's surely a lazy Nigerian youth
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 22, 2018
akelicious and copy and paste sha. by now u shud know u wont make any money doing this. ode
Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by innobets(m): 12:44pm On Apr 22, 2018
Buhari have been blaming everything on Nigerian from day one..

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Graduate Student Wins $1m To Produce Film by Johnrake69: 12:46pm On Apr 22, 2018
Not surprised. $1 million dollars to ridicule Nigerians. Nigerian scammers are still learning from Russian fraudsters buh they dare not throw such an offer to Russians. Tell me again that imperialism is just a conspiracy.

Most Africans in diaspora are a big part of the African problem.

Imagine a guy I knew so well while growing. He struggled to gain admission for a diploma program in Osu which of course he could not finish as a result of hardship. And some how he found his way to London, today he is a British citizen rationalising Buhari's derogatory statement about Nigerian youths

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija All Stars Cost Us N5.5bn – Organisers / Man Folds Self Inside Travelling-Bag (Pic) / Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: The Return Of WWTBAM - Mixture Of Joy & Nostalgia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.