Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,494 members, 7,770,228 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:47 AM

Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. (19328 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 8:32pm On May 16, 2010
Ile Omugwo in Igbo culture is the period during which the mother-in-law takes care of daughter and the new baby-her grand child (Ndulue.C 1995).
Nairalanders, what do you know about Ile Omugwo?.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 8:41pm On May 16, 2010
The birth of a baby In Igboland and other eastern Nigerian ethnic groups means that the nursing mother and child has to be ministered unto by a very close and experienced female relation. In most cases, the person who takes care of her, is her mother. If the mother is not alive or around, her step-mother performs the functions.

1 Like

Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by Abagworo(m): 9:22pm On May 16, 2010
both the word omugwo or omugbo and the culture is not perculiar to igbo and the origin is yet to be determined.ijaws and some other ethnic groups use same word.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 10:40pm On May 16, 2010
Abagworo:

both the word omugwo or omugbo and the culture is not perculiar to igbo and the origin is yet to be determined.ijaws and some other ethnic groups use same word.
You are right. It is widely practised by Ndigbo and her neighbours.
Think about the joy of a mother on receiving the news of a safe delivery of a baby by her daughter.
Check out how the over joyous grand-mother would buy different types of delicacacies meant specifically for a woman newly delivered of a baby and also some suitable presents for the child.
Then, she would set out for the son-in-law's place where she would take care of her daughter and the new born baby. Easterners, is that not interesting?.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by 0hsisi: 11:28pm On May 20, 2010
I enjoy omugwo
you will eat yam peppersoup with okporoko like crazy

1 Like

Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by Ikomi(m): 9:37am On May 21, 2010
0hsisi:

I enjoy omugwo
you will eat yam peppersoup with okporoko like crazy

Nwa Afghan ahu n'luru amuo'na nwa Osiiiiiii, nne ya na ele ya omugwo, kama muwa enwegi onye na ele mu omugwo, this things should not be one sided.

Iggaaaa abia ele muwa omugwo, I need it. undecided
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by connkg(m): 10:14am On May 21, 2010
Please what kind of Child Care and Handling education is passed? Is it traditional or general, hospital-like knowledge? Is there some specific, peculiar practice?

@Ohsisi
You enjoy AN ASPECT of Omugwo men enjoy as well. What other aspect do you enjoy?
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by ifyalways(f): 4:32pm On May 21, 2010
conn-kg:

Please what kind of Child Care and Handling education is passed? Is it traditional or general, hospital-like knowledge? Is there some specific, peculiar practice?

I daresay its mostly traditional though some conforms with modern-day medicine.
Peculiar ones are ;
How to bathe the baby.
How to feed the baby,when to know the baby has had enough food,how to breastfeed,when and how to make him belch.
sleeping positions for mother and child.
how to take care of your body,get back into shape,trim your tummy(nursing mother)
when to start sexual relations with your hubby and how to go abt it.etc
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by abadaba(m): 11:57pm On May 23, 2010
Should fathers participate in Omugwo?. I think there should be gender equality.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by henry101(m): 2:52am On May 24, 2010
abadaba:

Yes U can grin
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by indie22(f): 3:35pm On Jun 02, 2010
Is it true that when the mother-in-law is going back home after the omugwo, the husband has to give her somethings as parting gifts?

I'm only asking because it caused a huge row between my friend and her hubby, after her hubby did not buy anything for her mum when she was leaving them to go back.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 2:43am On Jun 03, 2010
indie22:

Is it true that when the mother-in-law is going back home after the omugwo, the husband has to give her somethings as parting gifts?

I'm only asking because it caused a huge row between my friend and her hubby, after her hubby did not buy anything for her mum when she was leaving them to go back.

Strange indeed. Not sure if it is an Igbo family.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by o9999: 11:47am On Jun 04, 2010
during omugwo, the person that comes to do the omugwo takes over MOST of the house hold chores and responsibilities.
cooking (for both husband and wife), cleaning, carrying the baby while the new mum rests, from my side, at night, the new mum actually sleeps while her mum or whoever is there for omugwo stays awake with the baby,

Pls there is a lot to it, every new mother looks forward to someone close to her to come for her omugwo.

@indie22, if someone comes to spend a month with u for holiday, its only a nigerian tradition that u buy that person something to go back home with not to talk of someone that came to labour for u for omugwo. i dont think its right to let the person go empty handed + women NEVER go for omugwo empty handed,
They go with all sorts of food stuffs.

BUT,
am not of the school of thot that u shld spend ur 1 month salary on her gift, but at least show appreciation with a gift. its the tot behind that mtters not the gift itself
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 11:11am On Jun 05, 2010
o9999:

during omugwo, the person that comes to do the omugwo takes over MOST of the house hold chores and responsibilities.
cooking (for both husband and wife), cleaning, carrying the baby while the new mum rests, from my side, at night, the new mum actually sleeps while her mum or whoever is there for omugwo stays awake with the baby,

Pls there is a lot to it, every new mother looks forward to someone close to her to come for her omugwo.

@indie22, if someone comes to spend a month with u for holiday, its only a nigerian tradition that u buy that person something to go back home with not to talk of someone that came to labour for u for omugwo. i dont think its right to let the person go empty handed + women NEVER go for omugwo empty handed,
They go with all sorts of food stuffs.

BUT,
am not of the school of thot that u shld spend your 1 month salary on her gift, but at least show appreciation with a gift. its the tot behind that mtters not the gift itself

Good job.

1 Like

Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by ezeagu(m): 1:12pm On Jun 06, 2010
abadaba:

It's funny you should say that, really funny:

[center][flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6AjltABFk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"[/flash][/center]
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 6:11pm On Jun 06, 2010
ezeagu:

[center][flash=480,385]
It not funny, this is greed. Too bad.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 11:05pm On Oct 06, 2010
There have been some sort of expanded roles for mothers coming for Omugwo. Some mothers have used their Omugwo period to make some extra cash by baby-sitting for other mothers. This is mostly practised in The U.K.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by AndreUweh(m): 9:51pm On Dec 04, 2011
Eastern Nigerian ladies, let's share your experiences about Omugwo.
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by emma2002(m): 4:17pm On May 26, 2013
Please responses are expected on what gift items are ideal and is cash involved? Please share personal experience so yours sincerely will know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by dayold: 10:41pm On Jul 12, 2017
where does the husband sleep during omugwor
Re: Omugwo: An Igbo Aspect Of Life. by isalegan2: 7:43pm On May 12, 2018
ezeagu:

[center][flash=480,385]

AndreUweh:

It not funny, this is greed. Too bad.

It's hilarious! It was hard to find the other parts. I'm on part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRm-PN9RCwc

Man: Ifeomah, who wore my trousers? I said, who tampered with my trousers?
Daughter: Papa, you have come again. . . !
Man: If you ever raise your voice to me again, ehn! I said a woman's buttocks has invaded my trousers!
Daughter: I have never worn trousers before, except for that time when we did school interhouse sports... Ah! My mother is back! (from the omugwo with elder daughter)
Wife: Husband, here's your gift from our daughter and her husband.
Man: This cannot be all of it. Let me see whatever you're hiding in those suitcases! Are you telling me everything else is yours but all they gave me is one bottle of schnapps so I can go and drink myself into a stupor silly and die off!

grin grin grin grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! / An Emirati Singing Yoruba Praise And Worship In His Shop In Dubai. / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.