Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,428 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question (29493 Views)

Collins Oscar Shares His Wedding Photos, Responds To Critics / Chimamanda Adichie Upset About Hillary Clinton's "Wife" Bio On Twitter / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 8:54am On Apr 25, 2018
Damn! I'm impressed. She does have a salient point. Feminism should be encouraged. Btw, why should a woman change her name because of marriage? Is she a property?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by ssuccess(m): 8:54am On Apr 25, 2018
eezeribe:
Chimamanda can dissect Hillary Clinton as much as she likes;but one thing remains certain,the likes of Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama will forever remain more highly rated than Ngozi Adichie...
Hillary Clinton is a proud WIFE of former US president and one of the most influential men in the world,Bill Clinton;while Chimamanda remains the wife of a nobody,a man who is so weak that his wife can't even bear his surname.
I have nothing against TRUE FEMINISM,but there is a thin line between COMMON SENSE and NONSENSE.

Jesus Christ!
The 203 likes that you garnered shows how sexist Nigeria is, but don't worry, we'll work on that, and soon.
She said nothing wrong. Do you even know how much harm 'Wife' did to Hillary?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by CSTR1003: 8:55am On Apr 25, 2018
Reggie2:
You remind me of honourable Gudaji- I guess that's his name- who is perplexed that voting more women into the Nigeria house of assembly would be the end of the world.

I quoted you to correct the notion that dowry paid for marriage makes a woman 'less' human! Social anthropology in this regard speak differently. Please get your facts right before making jokes.

Chimamanda crosses the African red line in her pursuit of feminist theology, that doesn't mean we should denigrate womanhood.

African red line?

Africa has no business giving anybody red line.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by ssuccess(m): 8:57am On Apr 25, 2018
kaorama:

Thank you, my dear. Have always known her from UNN. Always seeking for attention, even when she has the stage.
They've started oooo!
Known her from UNN kor undecided
what year?
What did she study?
Who the f are you today? Non-attention seeking nonentity?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by koning: 9:05am On Apr 25, 2018
One of your staunchest supporter here is very disappointed. There is nothing wrong in a woman addressing herself as WIFE. Absolutely nothing.

Heed the advice of the people. You cannot be right all the time.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Himmler: 9:06am On Apr 25, 2018
oyb:

i feel you son.

i can call you son right? that is what you are first and foremost, not so?

that is your most important and relevant achievement not so? being born. whatever else you have done takes secondary precedence.

i am son, therefore i am .

keep it up, son.

it just shows you don't stand for anything. if you consider someone to be a satanic idiot, he should not be your reference in this kind of argument. son
First you can't call me son because I'm not your son. Secondly this is not someone else calling Hilary Clinton a wife and mother. She described herself that way in her own bio!! What's so difficult for you to understand that she has a right to do so. Thirdly, enough of the personal attacks, I do know the things I stand for and they inform my opinions daily, if I took exception to Obama's sodomy as described in the thread I commented on, does that then mean he must be a bad human being in every aspect of his life? I've seen a lot of humans to know that nobody is completely bad or good so I've learnt to judge matters as they've been presented in the case at hand. I've had cause to praise chimamanda on other matters just as I totally condemn what she did in this matter, yeah, I condemned Obama's sodomy but I had reason to support him against Hilary in the dems2008 primary and against McCain and Romney in the general elections and the same Clinton I'm defending now, I've also had cause to condemn over many other issues. I don't pre judge people before hearing their case because of pre conceived notions I have about them, something you clearly have a problem doing. I repeat, Enough of the personal attacks, i don't want to roll that way this morning

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by soliddust2020: 9:06am On Apr 25, 2018
nkemdi89:

What makes the question inappropriate? Adiche asked an honest question from her opinion, I see reason with her, because many of us attached miss Clinton success to her husband and same with her mistake, it also contributed in ruining her chances in the last election, even here in Nigeria most of us were not in support of her because she was once a first lady and we felt going to the white house as President was not proper. Just that the word feminism choke most men. Adiche I know will never change her opinion on any issues she has raised voice about, that doesn't make her right neither does it make her wrong, but people are quick to condemn.

Its Mrs Clinton not miss Clinton. Her success is not tied to her husband, she started politics before her husband bill and she was already successful before he became president. What ruined her chances was her roles in Libya, private server scandal, donations from Saudia Arabia and of course when she said she will issue no fly zone in Syria which meant an all out war with Russian. She didn't lost because she was a woman or because of her husband was a former POTUS but because she had a lot of skeletons in closet. Clinton has achieved what so many men can't in this life, if a former FLOTUS, senator and secretary of state decides to identify as wife first its her business. Chiammanda asked a very stupid question and deserves the bashing.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by loganx: 9:08am On Apr 25, 2018
Adichie has started pushing this line of feminism bull-sh*t. Looks like all is not too well with her home.
In today's western world, where divorce date is speculated on the wedding day, i still give props to the likes of Hilary who stood with her man despite all the Monica sex scandal.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by ay4shizzy(m): 9:08am On Apr 25, 2018
[quote author=nkemdi89 post=67008948]
What makes the question inappropriate? Adiche asked an honest question from her opinion, I see reason with her, because many of us attached miss Clinton success to her husband and same with her mistake, it also contributed in ruining her chances in the last election, even here in Nigeria most of us were not in support of her because she was once a first lady and we felt going to the white house as President was not proper. Just that the word feminism choke most men. Adiche I know will never change her opinion on any issues she has raised voice about, that doesn't make her right neither does it make her wrong, but people are quick to condemn.[talk about the tribalism part, and stop beating around the bush..you're obviously a tribal bigot. ]
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by 9inches(m): 9:14am On Apr 25, 2018
All these third wave feminists sef

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 25, 2018
Himmler:

First you can't call me son because I'm not your son. Secondly this is not someone else calling Hilary Clinton a wife and mother. She described herself that way in her own bio!! What's so difficult for you to understand that she has a right to do so. Thirdly, enough of the personal attacks, I do know the things I stand for and they inform my opinions daily, if I took exception to Obama's sodomy as described in the thread I commented on, does that then mean he must be a bad human being in every aspect of his life? I've seen a lot of humans to know that nobody is completely bad or good so I've learnt to judge matters as they've been presented in the case at hand. I've had cause to praise chimamanda on other matters just as I totally condemn what she did in this matter, yeah, I condemned Obama's sodomy but I had reason to support him against Hilary in the dems2008 primary and against McCain and Romney in the general elections and the same Clinton I'm defending now, I've also had cause to condemn over many other issues. I don't pre judge people before hearing their case because of pre conceived notions I have about them, something you clearly have a problem doing. I repeat, Enough of the personal attacks, i don't want to roll that way this morning

why not? meet please meet himmler son , male chauvinist, neoconservative.

yep, that sounds about right

especially in nigeria where we are title obsessed. are you a chief, a doctor, a lawyer?

well, whatever, you are a son, then later husband first.

so it makes perfect sense that i address you as son
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by prechbills1(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2018
whoknowstoday:

I really pray you or your generation do not become any future president as you have pronounced yourself before you jail all our maidens and women, also remember that not all ladies walk freely into their hubby's house, there are many hardworking and independent ladies out there who do not give a hoot about guys money.

you lack sense
goat didn't you see my reason for saying that..
don't ever quote me if you've comprehension problems..
unliberated coward.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Himmler: 9:24am On Apr 25, 2018
oyb:

why not? meet please meet himmler son , male chauvinist, neoconservative.

yep, that sounds about right

especially in nigeria where we are title obsessed. are you a chief, a doctor, a lawyer?

well, whatever, you are a son, then later husband first.

so it makes perfect sense that i address you as son
Since you've shown yourself to be nothing but a dunderheaded ignoramus who inspite of all entreaties to desist from personal attacks continues to plow on like the buffoon you are, I think its high time I started addressing you back in those terms. Look dude, it also makes perfect sense to me right now to address you as a moronic airhead who is not capable of articulating any rational argument without resort to personal attacks. Yeah, that's what you are, a discombobulated nincompoop!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 9:24am On Apr 25, 2018
bamite:

That dada doesn't suit you atall undecided

Try and look neater.. my advice

Your advice has been seen and discarded undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by ReinaFarine: 9:29am On Apr 25, 2018
eezeribe:
Chimamanda can dissect Hillary Clinton as much as she likes;but one thing remains certain,the likes of Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama will forever remain more highly rated than Ngozi Adichie...
Hillary Clinton is a proud WIFE of former US president and one of the most influential men in the world,Bill Clinton;while Chimamanda remains the wife of a nobody,a man who is so weak that his wife can't even bear his surname.
I have nothing against TRUE FEMINISM,but there is a thin line between COMMON SENSE and NONSENSE.

Hillary didn't use to bear her husband's name, she didn't use to act like the typical, traditional 'wife' in the way some people think of the word. Didn't make her any less of a wife. But if she had to identify as a wife during her campaign for POTUS, then, it is a question that Ngozi Adichie asked.

II. Being married to an 'influential' is not the definition of success of woman. You marry who you love not who is more successful. Is Donald Trump a little less successful because Melania is not as influential as Michelle?

III. Is the strength of a man truly measured in making his wife 'bear' his last name? And youre making 'carrying' a surname an honour and a burden at the same time. Which is it? Am I lucky to be deemed worthy to bear the name of an 'Influential' man, or a man is to weak to force me to 'carry' hi surname?

IV. It was an innocent discussion
Similar to one I'll have with a male acquaintance that would have never been caught dead listening to Hip-Hop that suddenly pays billions to attend to Kanye West show in Dubai suddenly because he is to running for senator in a predominantly African American district. Is it your choice or are you doing this to be more relatable to your voters?

Chimamanda is one of the loudest mouth in the topic of Nigerian Feminism and most nigerians see a swipe at her as a slap against the face of all feminist in Nigeria else I don't understand the reason for the whole vibration and mountain out of the little mole hill.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kalu61(m): 9:30am On Apr 25, 2018
LegendaryArnold:
if she sees this comment, she can send assassins to you grin
Hahahaha. She is one of my models in African writing but I believe she is getting it wrong if feminism is like this o.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by tiwiex(m): 9:34am On Apr 25, 2018
kalu61:
something is telling me feminism is a form of mental disorder. How can you question one decision to use wife of her profile. Clinton's has accomplished what most men will never do but her decision to use wife: sign of submission or call it accomplishment as well is no Chimamanda's headache.

Lol @ mental disorder. Maybe yo have a point because it really was not an issue worth raising unless you are going crazy looking out for anti-feminist signs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kalu61(m): 9:36am On Apr 25, 2018
[quote author=ay4shizzy post=67010820][/quote]I disagree with some expect of you write up. Clinton using wife gave her more chance than other wise. Do you think America would have voted for someone who can't manage a home. She knew adopting that "title" will give her a better chance.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Omotaday(m): 9:38am On Apr 25, 2018
kingthreat:
This is how I see it. When it comes to Feminism, Hilary Clinton is one of the world's champions. That's why thousands of them protested when Trump became president.
Now this Nigerian feminist who managed to escape being a home-wrecker in Anambra by being a successful writer, saw some flaws in her champion. To her, her champion should be Hilary Rodham not Hilary Clinton. It's just like an upcoming terrorist, telling Abu Shekau that he is not wicked enough, they should kill more. This is the reason why Hilary didn't react insulted with that question. Her mentees were simply scolding her for not being a total radical.
As for Chimamnda, I keep saying it her views are embedded in selfishness and idiotic feminism. Well feminism, homosexuality, atheism are part of the rave now and this woman is banking on it.
You just summarized the whole drama.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by EarthXmetahuman: 9:38am On Apr 25, 2018
dinachi:

I pity the unfortunate man
don't be surprised if reverse is the case. She is probably submissive and act sheepishly for her husband.

People like adichie hardly practice what they preach. They are just hypocrites trying to create names and few bucks from moronic zombie followers Who eat every crap they dish out.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by tiwiex(m): 9:39am On Apr 25, 2018
She really sounds annoying and too opinionated in this epistle. Did you guys notice she used the words "Lazy" and "Intellectually Lazy" in her write up? That speaks volume of her mindset. She obviously is in sync with Nigerian news and just threw a shade concurring with Adeshina and co. I really have stopped liking her from now on. Lol. Like say she sabi me.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kalu61(m): 9:40am On Apr 25, 2018
tiwiex:

Lol @ mental disorder. Maybe yo have a point because it really was not an issue worth raising unless you are going crazy looking out for anti-feminist signs.
lol, honest. I believe that wife of a thing really border her before meeting Clinton. She must have thought about it a million times. Some jokes a not jokes o but fact presented in humours form
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by happney65: 9:40am On Apr 25, 2018
Sunnycliff:
Is she no longer Mrs. Clinton? Why the use of Ms. Clinton? Are they divorced or is this still a subtle way of preaching her feminism?

Chimamanda! Answer me o

She is an idiot niii..A big one..even the Media addresses Hilary as Mrs and not miss..A journalist addressed chimamanda as Mrs the other day she abused the living day light out of him

If you don't like marriage why don't you stay away idiot..shey na by force..

Some of these women just like taking their luck too far sha..We divorce,we share my properties and take a chunk for what?For exactly what?

I like Men that sign prenup..They are the real Men..

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by openmine(m): 9:41am On Apr 25, 2018
nkemdi89:

I mentioned three things, which were hatred, jealousy and tribalism, and most of the people bashing her fell into those categories, she became popular not only because of her books, but she is vocal too, and left for me as an adult, I have the liberty to accept what I want to, her opinions are not laws , that means its not binding on anyone. And miss Clinton herself never saw it from that direction of the question being rude, its just that our African mentality makes us see it that way. An average black has a significant percentage of pull him down syndrome in him, that's why the condemnation was coming from people who tagged themselves " family " .
point of correction....its MRS HILLARY CLINTON and not a "miss"

....and she is over proud of being labelled or tagged that way no matter what others say about it!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by eevich: 9:41am On Apr 25, 2018
Himmler:

Did Hillary Clinton go into any public meeting or social gathering describing herself as wife? Chimamanda went to her personal twitter bio to pick offence at the way she described herself. Hello!!!! It's her personal space, she's free to describe herself the way she wants to Ok. Have you seen Obama's bio? He describes himself as dad and husband first before anything else. Is Obama also a victim of misogyny? Gosh!! What gives you the impression that you have the right to invade people's personal spaces and dictate to them how they should describe themselves and even have the nerve to tell them you are "upset" with them because their description of themselves does not tally with your own convoluted view on things? This is beyond ridiculous, it's outright stupidity!!!
100likes
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by eevich: 9:43am On Apr 25, 2018
Sterope:
Clinton is ambitious. No qualms about that. But she is dishonest, bitter calculative, rude and condescending. Clinton would call a goat her brother for political favours. If she had chosen to use wife and mother on her Twitter bio to change political opinions, she laid her bed so shall she lie on it. Perhaps if she had tried to be a good person, she would not have had to convince anyone. She is a politician. Most politicians try to change public opinion od themselves while contesting. America has had male politicians that tried to show that they uphold family values to please their electorate. I do not see you screaming sexism.

I agree that powerful and ambitious women face gender bias. I call out those gender biases. But these gender biases do not apply to Clinton. She is who she is. If pretence was what she needed, I am glad she got in line. She is like every politician. Let her be one!

interesting take!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by sweetrace(f): 9:49am On Apr 25, 2018
eezeribe:

Wow� Do you Know Chimandas future. I'm sure that if you had met Obama before he became president you won't have reckoned with him. You would have called him a nobody. You would have said he will never become a president of the US. Today you insult Chimandas husband because he is man enough to allow his wife shine like the diamond she is. Chimanda is a proud wife who has reached a height that we dream of. We pray to get there and maybe surpass that. But here you are playing petty. A typical myopic Nigerian who is always ready to trample on the success of other Nigerians. I am so ashamed of you right now. Forget all the likes you got. It just shows that your thinking is totally mediocre.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by kernel507: 9:49am On Apr 25, 2018
kaorama:

Sorry, you are ashamed of your own space. Keep living in someone else's shadows. I am fulfilling my own destiny. It mustn't be announced on CNN for you to know.

'I am not trying to heave you with insult, but then... you're too awfully small to be so hugely irritating.
Virulence smells in your language, a person filled with vindictiveness. Close that tiny hole before your face, because silent is golden.

Working in a tiny Oshodi factory truly can be a career, and a dream come through for a character like you, while she's representing Africa.

Don't reply me, or... I will make you question the institution that graduated you.

#BitterSoul.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by wingmanII: 9:51am On Apr 25, 2018
Chimamanda. I hail your parents for producing one of the brightest and most respected African females.
Adadioranma. May your star never dim.
Please ignore the dimwits who lack the intellect and sophistry to understand what you are about.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Kinggnicole(f): 9:53am On Apr 25, 2018
eezeribe:

It's not a battle OK?
Chimamanda has done well for herself and she has made so much impact with her works.
Let me ask you, what impact has your opinion about her made? none
If I want to be petty,I can equally say that you are a nobody as far as Chimamanda is concerned. But I won't.
Like I stated before, it's not a battle and everyone can say their opinions if they want.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by openmine(m): 9:55am On Apr 25, 2018
kaorama:

Sorry, you are ashamed of your own space. Keep living in someone else's shadows. I am fulfilling my own destiny. It mustn't be announced on CNN for you to know.
True words

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Responds To Critics On Hillary Clinton’s Twitter Bio Question by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 25, 2018
she's finally lost it

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cancer ................... (a True Life Story) / The Kevlar's Emergency Fiancee (chritsmas Edition) / Chimamanda Adichie: Bride Price Should Be Abolished, I'm Not A Fan Of It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.