Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! (6297 Views)

Couple Arrive Their Wedding Venue On Bicycle / Nigerian Groom Cries On His Bride's Shoulder At Their Wedding (photo) / Couple Enter Their Wedding Reception In A Tractor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 1forall: 4:44pm On Mar 15, 2007
An old friend would be getting married in a few months. While we spoke some days ago he said they would be accepting no gifts? I asked and he admitted it was his idea, "Cash only", he said.

He appeared reluctant to explain his reason(s) and I didnt pry further.
It really sounded strange to me and I wonder, why should that be?
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Ndipe(m): 10:03pm On Mar 15, 2007
Not tasteful.

1 Like

Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by sisimose(f): 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2007
nothinng crass about this, infact its the more modern way to do things gone are the days when married people end up with duplicate gifts, pots go full house, abeg.

some ppl use wedding lists service , which i did at mine, i asked ppl to go to Debenhams for the gifts that i had picked out already,they could either select gifts on line to get delivered to us as well. great thing is once one list has been bought it gets taken off the list so no duplication. Any way as for ppl asking for cash that is ok, some ppl give the couple vouchers from their selected stores(this method is too much hassle)
The gift list service is better, quick, gets delivered to you,saves your guests running around shops for ur gift,great for those who are busy they can browse on line and order from your chosen store.

so it is not CRASS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 1forall: 9:51am On Mar 16, 2007
I said strictly no gifts sisi, he mentioned he was going to have it printed on the wedding invitation, I dont think thats modern in any way.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by sisimose(f): 7:55pm On Mar 16, 2007
your opinion lol that is not what a wedding planner will tell you wink
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by BigSis(f): 7:27pm On Mar 20, 2007
There is no way I would participate. If I decided to give cash on my own, that is one thing. But to demand cash, that is so out of order. I would decline the wedding invitation, and send a nice card.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by sisimose(f): 9:52pm On Mar 20, 2007
@bigsis
lol grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 1forall: 11:02am On Mar 23, 2007
Ndipe:

Not tasteful.
Methinks youre so right.

Sisimose preventing gift duplication is not the same as 'absolutely no gifts'

Yea bigsis I felt the same way.
So if someone was thinking to give them a car? and he reads on the wedding invitation "No gifts please, cash only. Thank you", do you think he'll give them the car's value in cash?

I have a feeling his fiance isnt totally in with the idea and I'm still curious about his reason for his decision though I hope to find out somehow.

Anyone come across a similar case?
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Seun(m): 7:23pm On Mar 23, 2007
I think it may only be a matter of time before more couples adopt this policy. I really love it! cheesy
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by OmoEko1(f): 7:28pm On Mar 23, 2007
BigSis:

There is no way I would participate. If I decided to give cash on my own, that is one thing. But to demand cash, that is so out of order. I would decline the wedding invitation, and send a nice card.
I second that cheesy cheesy
Some people are just plain greedy grin grin grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by BlackMamba(m): 7:42pm On Mar 23, 2007
Personally, no gifts in whatever shape or form. We have to stop indirectly levying people during marriage, birthday, naming ceremony, funeral etc. If you're not up to it, don't do it.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Coleslove: 7:51pm On Mar 23, 2007
1forall:

I said strictly no gifts sisi, he mentioned he was going to have it printed on the wedding invitation, I don't think thats modern in any way.

Hahahaha grin grin grin Why didn't he come out of his shells, instead of pretending to have a wedding. The guy and his wifey actually want to run a fund raising ceremony and you know in this way he'll be able to pay for their Rings, borrowed Wedding gown & Suit, rented hall, chairs and you name it. I think i like that, why form committee of friends and secure bank loans for wedding then pay through your nose to have it paid back when you actually can tax the pple you invite to come and eat the whole sacrifice you've got?

This is cool. I Love Nigerians, especially the smart ones. They sure know their way out. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by kiwibabe(f): 8:10pm On Mar 23, 2007
I think it is a good idea, he should put with the invitations a blank envelope for donotations then people can donate whatever they like. If you have all the worldly material possessions there's no point in accepting what they don't want.

;DYou can never have enough money grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Radiant(f): 8:15pm On Mar 23, 2007
Nothing wrong with the idea. It's a matter of preference cool
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by naijafresh: 8:25pm On Mar 23, 2007
To prevent duplication of gifts a polite note saying that cash would be preferred to gifts is seen as a more modern way of doing things
You donut have to give if you don't want to

Thats why in the UK we have wedding lists online, though the requests can be outrageous
They are usually a list of home essentials that the newly wed couple think they need
saves having to deal with 3 irons 5 toasters and an ugly flower vase that you will be throwing away as soon as you get home

wink
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 9ja4eva: 8:37pm On Mar 23, 2007
Saves dem d stress of loading cars with gifts.E be like say dem too like money.Abi dem dey weed because of money?LOL grin grin grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Radiant(f): 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2007
9ja4eva:

Saves them d stress of loading cars with gifts.E be like say them too like money.Abi them dey weed because of money?LOL grin grin grin

No be money dem use plan and organize the wedding? Abi na mouth?
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by omoge(f): 8:51pm On Mar 23, 2007
well, maybe they got everything they needed in their homes. requesting money is interesting, but then you send the equivalent of what you plan buying as present, if $8 worth of gift, send that $8. if $3 worth card, send that 3 dollars.

if 50 naira worth of gift, sent that 50 naira.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by puree: 8:58pm On Mar 23, 2007
Kai!!, Nigerians!!!, if something is not yr kind of style or  if something is new and you have phobia for change, stop using ignorance as an excuse to imply that "only cash please , no gift" is a DEMAND for money from the poor.
Check your dictionary, the last time i checked mine, demand does not mean "money by force".
It is only reasonable for a couple going back abroad to save expenses by not having to cargo all the cheap plastics and expensive cars back home. and in a case where the couple reside in naija, it will just save them the hassle of having to live with unnecessary baggage. Another reason is the spiritual implication attached to gifts at weddings so am sure if you ask your friend it might be one of these reasons. Speaking from experience, those who have this on thier I.V are  usually quite comfortable and do not depend on the money to meet the cost of the wedding in any way, infact i am going to do the same plus use the online gift list. it's less stressful and convenient.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Radiant(f): 9:06pm On Mar 23, 2007
puree:

cheap plastics

grin grin grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by spoilt(f): 9:13pm On Mar 23, 2007
dont blame him. newly weds get like 16 picture frames , 10 baby bath sets, 1800 toasters and 400 sets of tumblers! grin grin . i'm just kidding but sometimes the presents are just downright annoying. maybe they might be leaving the country soon and dont want "load'? but then thats me making excuses for them. its a little to poor taste telling people what exactly you want them to give you. they could have been more subtle!
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Seun(m): 9:18pm On Mar 23, 2007
I don't think it's poor taste to tell people exactly what you want: we need to abandon this culture of hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 9ja4eva: 9:25pm On Mar 23, 2007
Radiant:

No be money them use plan and organize the wedding? Abi na mouth?

Mba o beans. grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by akara(m): 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2007
grin

most pressents are just cheap plastic that might not fit the taste of the couple, so better to give them money to buy to their taste. Why fill the house buckets, picture frames and baby things.

Cash should be the in-thing.

grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by swing4real(m): 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2007
I don´t see anything wrong with that.It is also done in some part of Spain.You only give the couples cash and not gift.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by puree: 9:40pm On Mar 23, 2007
I think its been bold and real to say exactly what you want. Most times comfortable and successful people do this with no fear of what people will think or say. For example if i come to your house  and i tell you how i want my plaintain fried, diced , sliced e.tc , it does not cost you extra money, it is still thesame plaintain, so also it's still thesame 250 naira or 10 pounds you intended to use to buy me a set of cups, so putting it in an envelope for the couple won't reduce the worth of what you intended to give in the first place. it is thier day, if you love them enough give them what they want, but if you do not have it am sure they'll appreciate your presence.you don't have to question thier intention. so what would you say to "strictly by invitation" I.Vs. Am sure if we had a thread on that one ,loads of abuses will start to flow in. Things does not have to be the way we've always been used to. there's always a time for a change, and that change does not have to be kool with everyone.This idea has got nothing to do with taste or poverty. the guy is just been real.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Radiant(f): 9:42pm On Mar 23, 2007
akara:

cheap plastic buckets, picture frames and baby things.

grin grin grin gosh! My tummy hurts grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by Tornadoz(m): 9:50pm On Mar 23, 2007
What a clever way to start a business or is it marriage. Do you get a refund if the celebrations don't meet your standards? Someone said that is what is done in Spain, well if its there culture, so be it. When has a marriage ceremony descended to this. Don't attend, let them eat their jollof rice on their own.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by puree: 10:04pm On Mar 23, 2007
@Tornadoz.

If you don't have the money, or if you did not even intend buying a present(let alone give the money equivalence), how does that stop you from participating in your friend's wedding. i am sure there will be no collectors at the door, so you can still attend rather than saying they should eat thier Jollof rice alone. Na fight grin, if you don't have the cash just don your coat, come and enjoy yourself. and for those who are ashamed of how little thier cash gift might be, then don't sign your name on the back of the envelope, just give!!!, its the heart not the amount.Lets be real, enough pretence.
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by sisimose(f): 10:50pm On Mar 23, 2007
geez what is the fuss, abegi
just like when gifts are expected, it is not a must nobody holds a gun to your head to give a gift, same way no one holds a gun to you for money if that is what they want, it is up to you, these days more and more poeple give money as presents. My work colleague got married (scottish people) and they got over 500 in cash , these days people dont bother with gifts. so all this one you people are saying is not what is going on. Maybe in Nigeria i dont know, even the nigerian wedding i go to people give money. So to ask for the money instead of gift is nothing, makes no blind bit of difference.
ABEGI, so much talk wat is the fusssssssssssss grin
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by puree: 10:57pm On Mar 23, 2007
@sisimose

Please tell them!!!!!
Re: They Want No Gifts At Their Wedding! by 9ja4eva: 4:05am On Mar 24, 2007
Money / Gifts go.Hw did d person achieve dis new trend?Did he print it on his wedding card " NO GIFTS PLS CASH ONLY".I wan laf die

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Orijin101 / Drone rental + Pilot(indoor&outdoor), and Training services / Interested In Moderating This Section?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.