Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,182 members, 7,849,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:23 AM

Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu (1040 Views)

Mikel & Oduamadi Picked For FIFA Doping Test / Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike / Amusa Shittu Is Dead (Former Nigerian International, aka 'The Bulldozer') (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by supereagle(m): 1:24pm On May 18, 2010
Out-of-favour Bolton defender, Danny Shittu is one of the surprise names in Eagles Technical Adviser, Lars Lagerback’s 30-man provisional squad for next month’s World Cup.

But the Swede has defended the choice of the match rusty defender, saying he is the best available for him now.

Sources said that video footage showed the Swede coach convinced him that the big defender stood out in the Eagles back four.

"Lagerback said Shittu was one of Nigeria’s most outstanding defenders at the Nations Cup in Angola. He said Shittu is rugged and very experienced," a top source said.

"He admitted that Shittu has seen very little action in England this season and so he plans to really work on him during the training camp in England."

Sparta Rotterdam defender Ayodele Adeleye, whose full international career got off to a flying start last year before his blunder against Tunisia in Abuja almost gifted the North Africans the World Cup ticket, has also been recalled to the Eagles because Lagerback rates him even though he said the Olympic team star still needs to acquire more experience at this level.

"The coach said Adeleye is a young and good defender, but he does not have a great deal of experience at senior international level," said another official.

Everton striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni was chosen ahead of Michael Eneramo of Tunisian champions Esperance because, Lagerback rates the England-based ace a more sophisticated ‘power striker.’

"Lagerback said both Yakubu and Eneramo are power strikers, but that he only needed one such striker and Yakubu is more experienced and more sophisticated."

Lagerback also argued that Sani Kaita is a more technical and more tactically disciplined defensive midfielder than Oluwafemi Ajilore, who was not picked.

The coach further said he is taking a chance on Lobi Stars right fullback Terna Suswan after the glowing reports he received on the player’s showing at the sub-regional WAFU Nations Cup in Abeokuta.

"He was told that Suswan displayed great pace and ability to attack during the WAFU Cup and the fact that he did not get to see much of Olubayo Adefemi, while Chidi Odiah has been in regular action for CSKA Moscow made him to settle for Odiah and Suswan," another source said.
[url=http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=31985
]http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=31985
[/url]

The man is still relying on Amodu's boys, we dismissed Amodu as not being good when the man said that he would use the same sets of players he took to Angola to SA 2010. The oyinbo coach is using them now we are not shouting. NFF and Nigerians are unfair to Amodu. May god of soccer forgive us.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by honeric01(m): 2:07pm On May 18, 2010
Shittu is a good defender and i also want to see him at the world cup.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by semid4lyfe(m): 2:10pm On May 18, 2010
Do you expect him to discard all the players selected by Amodu?
AND
Besides Shittu was the most impressive of all our defenders at the Nations Cup.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by hollandis(f): 2:13pm On May 18, 2010
supereagle:

"He was told that Suswan displayed great pace and ability to attack during the WAFU Cup and the fact that he did not get to see much of Olubayo Adefemi, while Chidi Odiah has been in regular action for CSKA Moscow made him to settle for Odiah and Suswan," another source said.
[url=http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=31985
]http://www.champion.com.ng/index.php?news=31985
[/url]

The man is a fool .He didnt see Olubayo but he saw osaze,Nsofor ,suswan Taiye, Bloody stupid liar.If you nor bri g the cup back walahi we go lynch you angry
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by honeric01(m): 2:22pm On May 18, 2010
hollandis:

The man is a fool .He didnt see Olubayo but he saw osaze,Nsofor ,suswan Taiye, Bloody silly liar.If you nor bri g the cup back walahi we go lynch you angry

stop stressing your fingers and nerves bro, who's the maga and the mugu now? Nigeria or Largerback? ah ah aha, $1.3m for 5 months, ahhhh, MAGA DON PAY grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,

cup ko, calabash ni, lets see if you can get him after he must have given you guys what you deserve (shambolic performance) grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by montelik(m): 2:29pm On May 18, 2010
supereagle:

The man is still relying on Amodu's boys, we dismissed Amodu as not being good when the man said that he would use the same sets of players he took to Angola to SA 2010. The oyinbo coach is using them now we are not shouting. NFF and Nigerians are unfair to Amodu.  May god of soccer forgive us.

Don't bother yourself. Most Super Eagles fans just didn't like Amodu period. Fact is some people didn't like Amodu that is why he was wounded out of the job without thinking further down the road. There is no miracle Lagerback can perform and "manufacture" a brand new team and whether we like it or not the players Amodu took to Angola are some of the best we can rely on for now. You can not build a new team in weeks or even months, its take years to do things like that, several years.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by hollandis(f): 3:18pm On May 18, 2010
honeric01:

stop stressing your fingers and nerves bro, who's the maga and the mugu now? Nigeria or Largerback? ah ah aha, $1.3m for 5 months, ahhhh, MAGA DON PAY grin grin grin grin grin grin grin,

cup ko, calabash ni, lets see if you can't get him after he must have given you guys what you deserve (shambolic performance) grin grin grin grin

him go know how far.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by 12large: 3:26pm On May 18, 2010
hollandis do you research before you talk. olubayo played one game on febuary 11 then after that the next game he played was in may, please tell me how he is suppose to take him. after doing my research on lars 30 i would say that other than martins,kanu and shittu the rest of the players he called were playing games and he cannot drop shittu after seeing his performance in nations cup, without martins nigeria would not even be going to world cup, while kanu is just living off the past. we all wanted rabiu ibrahim to go to world cup, but how many coaches would take a player playing in real massamama a 3 division in portugese league to world cup, or stanley okoro in youth teams. now is too late to be complaining whether you like lagerback or not wish him good luck even me i don't like yakubu but if he makes the team i would wish him well 100%. remember after this world cup another golden generation of nigeria football would be back imagine this
 creative midfilders
  ekpo
  ibrahim
  lukman  

wingers
ahmed musa
 okoro stanley
 obinna nsofor
  king osanga

strikers
 sani emmanuel
 chinedu obasi
  gbolahan salami
 macaley chrisantus

after world cup this players would form nigeria team and if they can play as a team from now till 2014 nigeria would be among favorites for 2014 world cup. remember no more stupid critisms of lagerback, everything should be constructive i know that we can do well in this world cup in south africa
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by BloodShed1: 4:20pm On May 18, 2010
supereagle:

"He admitted that Shittu has seen very little action in England this season and so he plans to really work on him during the training camp in England."

Why didn't he just take Rabiu Ibrahim on board with this approach? Or any of the other attacking midfielders who have actually played this season?

What a joke!
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by olisat: 1:04am On May 19, 2010
Blood_Shed:

Why didn't he just take Rabiu Ibrahim on board with this approach? Or any of the other attacking midfielders who have actually played this season?

What a joke!
Because he plays for fucking b team of sporting de libson, which isn't even the one r9 went to. He can't even make it into their fucking first team bench. ignorant. rtard. i apologize for my swearing.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by Tattooboy: 1:07am On May 19, 2010
Anyhow, i just hope the team dont dissappoint.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by BloodShed1: 2:29am On May 19, 2010
olisat:

Because he plays for bleeping b team of sporting de libson, which isn't even the one r9 went to. He can't even make it into their bleeping first team bench. ignorant. rtard. i apologize for my swearing.

Why is he going to take that risk with a defender though?

Its clear that our problem is in the midfield. And Rabiu is still getting action in the B team so its not like he's sleeping, unlike Danny Shittu. And like I said, we have other creative midfielders (i.e. Emmanuel Ekpo, Bartholomew Ibenegbu, Ahmed Musa etc) who have regularly played for their clubs. Why haven't any of these guys been picked? He could have picked at least one of these guys to work on.

Get the sand out of your uterus.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by Olaolufred(m): 3:37pm On May 19, 2010
Shittu to me deserves to be in the World Cup. If he proofs his fitness in Camp, why not?
Is he not far better than the non-motivating captain called Yobo at Nation's Cup?
Since he always play his heart for Nigeria, he is okay to represent us.
Why did Lukman Haruna fell out of favour with many Nigerian in Rwanda.
Though he is talented, but felt tooooo big than Nigeria.
Forced himself to playing penalty at all cost and messed up our journey to the Final.
After Osaze, Shittu is the second person that plays his heart when in Nigerian Colour.
Look forward to seeing him in S/A.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by Kgdavid(m): 8:35pm On May 19, 2010
Blood_Shed:

Why is he going to take that risk with a defender though?

Its clear that our problem is in the midfield. And Rabiu is still getting action in the B team so its not like he's sleeping, unlike Danny Shittu. And like I said, we have other creative midfielders (i.e. Emmanuel Ekpo, Bartholomew Ibenegbu, Ahmed Musa etc) who have regularly played for their clubs. Why haven't any of these guys been picked? He could have picked at least one of these guys to work on.

Get the sand out of your uterus.

the answer was clearly stated when he said shittu is the best available option in defense , are any of those guys of the level
to be called our best available option?? shittu has already proven himself for nigeria and it is one thing to work on the fitness of a good experienced player and quite another thing to try to work on the mentality and skill of a young player. these are two vastly different things. it is impossible to turn ibrahim into world cup material in a mere 2-3 week camp.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by BloodShed1: 4:20pm On May 20, 2010
Kgdavid:

the answer was clearly stated when he said shittu is the best available option in defense , are any of those guys of the level
to be called our best available option?? shittu has already proven himself for nigeria and it is one thing to work on the fitness of a good experienced player and quite another thing to try to work on the mentality and skill of a young player. these are two vastly different things. it is impossible to turn ibrahim into world cup material in a mere 2-3 week camp.

But why cant he work on a creative midfielder as well? That's where our problem lies. And look at our 1994 World Cup squad, most if not all of them weren't playing for big clubs and one can argue that they weren't capable of making any impact since it was their first World Cup. And that squad turned out to be our best ever.
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by medjai(m): 8:58pm On May 20, 2010
Shittu doesnt deserve to be on the team to SA. I have always been a critic of Shittu; no single technique, no passing skill, no creativity, just baloons the ball. Yes, he plays his heart out but against quality opposition he will be exposed. Why do you think he doesnt start at Bolton? Its not every ball a defender is supposed to clear. Infact, defenders only clear the ball when there is pressure. Defenders are expected to start the attack. I have never seen Shittu make an attacking pass in all the matches he has played in.
I would have loved Yussuf Mohammed to be in that team. IMO, he was our best defender in Angola. He knows when and how to overlap. He single handedly saved us against Zambia.
Apam, Echiejile and maybe Taiwo are the only people in our backline. The others are just apologies
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by Kgdavid(m): 11:25pm On May 20, 2010
shittu is tough no nonsense defender and while he might lack some level of control, he is still a great player. defenders can be expected to start the attack with a pass only in certain situations when the other players (teammates and opponents alike) are further up field or The midfielders are not available. a typical situation where your defenders could be expected to take the lead is from a goal kick or offside, as all the other players push back up field in anticipation of a long kick, the defenders open up into space. the goal keeper then has the option of kicking it long or passing it wide to one of the defenders. now if you watch nigeria very closely, whenever we have a dead ball situation deep in our own half enyeama will just hump the ball upfield. the fact is the most basic rule of defending is safety first and if you use nemanja vidic for example you will observe that he concedes a lot of throw ins. he doesnt necessarily lump the ball upfield but he passes it out or just generally plays first for safety. the only reason why shittu appears to lump the ball every other second is because nigeria are always under pressure! the porous play from our midfield means that people like shittu have to step in and do what they can. shittu also clears the ball with exceptional force which might be part of the reason people think thats all he does. in any case a defensive partnershipmust haveone rough guy like shittu/apam and one calm guy like yobo/adeleye. vidc-ferdinand, terry-carvalho, pique-puyol, samuels-lucio etc
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by Kgdavid(m): 10:15am On May 21, 2010
this is the danny shittu song we should sing at the world cup, smiley

who is the beast on that green pitch?
its daanny shittu
a nigerian beast who is going to eat u
then go into the bush and shiitttt u
daaannny shittu!
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by denitro(m): 12:02pm On May 21, 2010
supereagle:

The man is still relying on Amodu's boys, we dismissed Amodu as not being good when the man said that he would use the same sets of players he took to Angola to SA 2010. The oyinbo coach is using them now we are not shouting. NFF and Nigerians are unfair to Amodu. May god of soccer forgive us.

Look at your BIG HEAD.
Chelsea sacked Scolari
Hired Ancelotti,
Ancelloti used the same team, scolari was given.
Scolari was a disaster, When Chelsea unfair, If you are not good, you are not good, SIMPLE

Quote: Any tool is useful if you know how to use it,
Amodu didn't know how to use it and was sacked,
Why do you want to take Nigeria backward, WHY.WHY.WHY
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by medjai(m): 1:13pm On May 21, 2010
Kgdavid:

shittu is tough no nonsense defender and while he might lack some level of control, he is still a great player. defenders can be expected to start the attack with a pass only in certain situations when the other players (teammates and opponents alike) are further up field or The midfielders are not available. a typical situation where your defenders could be expected to take the lead is from a goal kick or offside, as all the other players push back up field in anticipation of a long kick, the defenders open up into space. the goal keeper then has the option of kicking it long or passing it wide to one of the defenders. now if you watch nigeria very closely, whenever we have a dead ball situation deep in our own half enyeama will just hump the ball upfield. the fact is the most basic rule of defending is safety first and if you use nemanja vidic for example you will observe that he concedes a lot of throw ins. he doesnt necessarily lump the ball upfield but he passes it out or just generally plays first for safety. the only reason why shittu appears to lump the ball every other second is because nigeria are always under pressure! the porous play from our midfield means that people like shittu have to step in and do what they can. shittu also clears the ball with exceptional force which might be part of the reason people think thats all he does. in any case a defensive partnershipmust haveone rough guy like shittu/apam and one calm guy like yobo/adeleye. vidc-ferdinand, terry-carvalho, pique-puyol, samuels-lucio etc
LMAO
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by snakova(m): 6:56pm On May 22, 2010
super eagle its only you the god of soccer would not forgive. yeye
Re: Lagerback:why I Picked Shittu by SeanLewis(m): 2:02pm On May 24, 2010
If shittu wants to silent his critics, then he must prove his worth in this world cup. U guys are all wasting ur time bragging and debating, stay put and wait until after World Cup

(1) (Reply)

Siasia Reveals Plans For Eagles / Acn 2012 Qualifier: Guinea Exposed (by Mumuni Alao) / Who Would Win A Super Eagles Vs Nigerian U-20 Match?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.