Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? (1641 Views)

How Can I Pursue A Career In Public Health / How To Join Nigerian Institute Of Public Relations, NIPR / Meet Onayemi Temitope Timothy, Hunter With Bsc. And Msc. In Criminology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? by LoveThemChubby(m): 2:25pm On Apr 27, 2018
Please i need sound advice on choosing between MSc. Physiotherapy and MPH. Your counsel with reasons will be highly appreciated. Thank you
Re: Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? by ezimo777(m): 1:55pm On Apr 28, 2018
Do you want to go into academics or you want to be in other organisations rather than the four corners of school.
The above question will go along way into answering your question. For example, you don't need an MSc to get a job in the hospital as a physiotherapist but on the other way round, an MSc in public health would give you an upper edge when your target is working with humanitarian organisations (NGOs). While for lecturing, with your MSc in physio, you are good to go.
Further more, MPH is a professional master degree and can't be used for a PhD while MSc is an academic degree and can be used to pursue a PhD.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? by jnrremedy(m): 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2018
ezimo777:
Do you want to go into academics or you want to be in other organisations rather than the four corners of school.
The above question will go along way into answering your question. For example, you don't need an MSc to get a job in the hospital as a physiotherapist but on the other way round, an MSc in public health would give you an upper edge when your target is working with humanitarian organisations (NGOs). While for lecturing, with your MSc in physio, you are good to go.
Further more, MPH is a professional master degree and can't be used for a PhD while MSc is an academic degree and can be used to pursue a PhD.

I hope this helps
wrong
MPH can proceed to do PhD in Nigeria only that it will be specific to a department in Public health eg PhD in Environmental Health Science, PhD in Epidemiology, PhD in Health policy and Education etc
There is also Doctor of Public Health degree though not sure any school in Nigeria currently offer such except maybe few private universities that offer public health as an undergraduate course
Re: Msc Physiotherapy Or Master Of Public Health (MPH) Which Is Better? by LoveThemChubby(m): 9:15pm On Apr 29, 2018
Thank you all for your replies. I am not the directly the one gunning for this but my girl friend. She is hanging unto the physiotherapy but i feel that MPH will better position her because physiotherapists may have limited opportunities especially here in Nigeria as compared to those who study public health. Also, she doesn't want to go into academics.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Mistakenly Forgot All My Credentials In A Cab In Osogbo / 2022 COMPRO Exams (whatsapp Grp) / Sterling Bank Sultan Of Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.