Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,332 members, 7,836,400 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos (17972 Views)

4,000 Traders, Others Displaced As Anambra Demolishes 2,000 Shops / Customers Stranded As Bdcs In Abuja, Kano, Lagos Shutdown Over Dollar Spike / Sallah 2021: The Prices Of Rams At A Market In Ile-Ife Osun State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by kmaster007: 7:13am On Apr 28, 2018
am short of words
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by gbadexy(m): 7:15am On Apr 28, 2018
TOPCRUISE:
But the government ought to be updating or reminding them a month or 2 months earlier about the exercise
exactly! its pure wickedness. They would have naturally thought the demolition plan had been placed on hold and would have relaxed. 18 months is a long time to suddenly come and start demolition claiming they gave them sufficient time.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Churchillbanks(m): 7:31am On Apr 28, 2018
Pavore9:

Government does not see it as its responsibility to resettle them.
Does that apply to the demolished oke odo market also...indeed the poor would become poorer and the rich become richer
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:45am On Apr 28, 2018
maximunimpact:

But the Managing Director, Total Value Integrated Limited, Chris Onyekachi said the traders were giving 18 months’ notice to vacate the market for redevelopment,
Wow An ibo man was given such a daunting responsibility! EKO O NI BAJE O
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Bobby4090: 7:49am On Apr 28, 2018
That Market is one of the mega causes of go slow on that road and it's better demolished. How can you have a big market that sprawls to a busy highway. The millions of people that use Lagos Abeokuta road everyday know the suffering, time and fuel wastage am talking about.
Next stop should be Meiran market. All markets situated along busy highways in Lagos ought to be demolished or at least pushed back well out of the road. Oshodi used to be like that and unpassable. Now see how nice the road was cleared.

1 Like

Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Horus(m): 7:54am On Apr 28, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBUApemoXy0

Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Dootty(m): 8:09am On Apr 28, 2018
This is height of sickness and beginning of the downfall of Ambode. This case is still in court but government still went ahead with the demolition all because the developer has bribed them with 100m. The market was built by another developer with the approval of the council and state government some years so it's not just a makeshift market. What's going to be the compensation to original owners who bought from the earlier developer. Besides what modern market do you want to build for a foodstuff market, is it where they have considered where to store yams in barns or is will the yam be stored in air-conditioning shops. Why don't they go and build a modern market in mile 12 after all they sell same products there.
The fact is another couple of years, it will still be demolished by another developer cause that how the new council will make money.
So let's forget this trash about modern market and remember what is happening to Tejuoso market after the modernization.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Temple1288(m): 8:10am On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:
So because of poor people the government should allow the state to look like a village.
The government must step on toes in other to make a state prosper.
They should migrate to their villages.Simple

You've never been poor before. There re so many things the Government can do rather than continue to disturb & cause pains to people. They should do the much needed ones!!
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by obi58: 8:12am On Apr 28, 2018
[quote author=Auladimeji post=67092935]So because of poor people the government should allow the state to look like a village.
They should migrate to their villages.Simple[/quote

I'm sure you're not a business owner and obviously have no idea of what government should be that's why you're talking this crap.

It's not just about giving notice: A responsible government would have done one of 2 things in this scenario:

1. Conduct a verification of legitimate shop owners in the market, Notify these people AND pay them compensation to relocate well in advance of any proposed demolition. These people are also law abiding citizens of the state who pay tax and who paid for their business premises( not street hawkers) and should have been accorded that respect.

OR.

2. Conduct the construction of the new market at an alternative location and then ask these people to relocate to the provided alternative.

Government is supposed to be for the people and not the other way around.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by JackOfAllTrades: 8:13am On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:
So because of poor people the government should allow the state to look like a village.
Are you aware that lagos is actually their village for the majority of this traders ? They were born here in lagos and that is the only place they know. Do you also think about the extra duty charges the local government in that area have extorted from this traders? Is the government supposed to serve and build for only a selective few?
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Odmic2839(m): 8:21am On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:
would you say that if any of your parent is a victim. Left to me, I hope when they finish reconstructing d whole place. It's been given out to this same set of people and get the payment installmentally.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Odmic2839(m): 8:24am On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:
Majorities of building in lagos are illegal so government must destroy it in other for a state to prosper
I understand you my broda, one thing I will just like the government to put in to help this people is that any house or shop or land be used or taken by the government should at least give 30% of the worth of that land. Irespective of Certificate of Occupants or not. Once you are able to present a geniue document of the land that it belong to you.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 28, 2018
kristonium:
Mega market that will be out of reach of the poor market women!
Can't understand why this government keeps pursuing anti poor people agenda!
Who told you they are poor...oga most of those market women are millionaires
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by tubolancer(m): 8:49am On Apr 28, 2018
bellville:
you mean iso oko. Brings back memories. I knew every inch of that market while growing up.
you live in Oke odo I guess. I have been buying stuffs in that market since 1985. Though I don't stay in that area again, occasionally I still go there to buy fruits and other things, but my wife get things there every two weeks. Her office is very close to Ile Epo. Sometimes the old has to give way to the new, that is what happened to Ile Epo market.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by bellville: 9:05am On Apr 28, 2018
tubolancer:
you live in Oke odo I guess. I have been buying stuffs in that market since 1985. Though I don't stay in that area again, occasionally I still go there to buy fruits and other things, but my wife get things there every two weeks. Her office is very close to Ile Epo. Sometimes the old has to give way to the new, that is what happened to Ile Epo market.
I lived in Oke-odo from 1987 to 1994. I was a kid then. Our house was a 10 minute walk from the market. My mum never bought things in the neighbourhood even common place items like salt. You will hear " Wa sare ba mi lo soja. Isin lo ma de yi" (Quickly go the market. You will be back in no time).

1 Like

Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by malware: 9:12am On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:
Majorities of building in lagos are illegal so government must destroy it in other for a state to prosper

Okay Prof.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Babacele: 9:16am On Apr 28, 2018
chai, this is where I get some of my best sandals ,even better than Yaba. Abeg government let the new shops be affordable o.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by tubolancer(m): 9:44am On Apr 28, 2018
bellville:
I lived in Oke-odo from 1987 to 1994. I was a kid then. Our house was a 10 minute walk from the market. My mum never bought things in the neighbourhood even common place items like salt. You will hear " Wa sare ba mi lo soja. Isin lo ma de yi" (Quickly go the market. You will be back in no time).
You must be familiar, back then we all know ourself, from ifelodun, kareem street, Akano down to Ogunjobi, Church st and as far as Aboru, Labasco, oke odo high school we are just one happy family.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by tubolancer(m): 9:44am On Apr 28, 2018
bellville:
You must be familiar, back then we all know ourself, from ifelodun, kareem street, Akano down to Ogunjobi, Church st and as far as Aboru, Labasco, oke odo high school we are just one happy family. I salute.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by bellville: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2018
tubolancer:
You must be familiar, back then we all know ourself, from ifelodun, kareem street, Akano down to Ogunjobi, Church st and as far as Aboru, Labasco, oke odo high school we are just one happy family. I salute.
I lived very close to Pleasure bus stop but my school was on Olukosi street by Aliratu Badejo. Much respect!
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Timoleon(m): 10:39am On Apr 28, 2018
gbadexy:

exactly! its pure wickedness. They would have naturally thought the demolition plan had been placed on hold and would have relaxed. 18 months is a long time to suddenly come and start demolition claiming they gave them sufficient time.

I don't know how you can think the government won't try to limit the fallout from this action. about a month ago, the government came to remind them, they threw tomatoes and chased the official away. last week, thee traders had a protest, blocked the roads holding placards. To say they didn't know is a fallacy. Its impossible that government will carryout any demolition without adequate notice...it does not happen. I live at ile epo so i am not telling u a 'dem say story' neither am I justifying whether it is right or not.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by CaptainFM1: 10:52am On Apr 28, 2018
chieyine:
cry
After they will say we are lazy
While they go about destroying our sources of livelihood

They are not destroying your sources of livelihood, rather they are going to make your business thrive better by creating a conducive environment for your business.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by sunemi(m): 12:04pm On Apr 28, 2018
Check my signature if you need money.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2018
Auladimeji:

Government also approved those illegal structures.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by HomeOfMe(f): 2:10pm On Apr 28, 2018
maximunimpact:
Traders has been left stranded as the popular Ile-Epo Foodstuff Market in Agbado/ Oke-Odo Local Council Development Area, Abule Egba area of Lagos was demolished yesterday to pave way for a modern market befitting a mega city.

FINANCIAL WATCH gathered armed personnel of the Lagos State Task Force on Environmental Sanitation supervised the demolition exercise in order to contain resistance from the traders.

Bulldozers were seen pulling down structures in the market at around 8.00am, while others used sledge hammers in demolishing the market.

Thousands of traders were seen frantically trying to evacuate their ware as the police gave them ample time to do so. Traders were seen running helter and skelter trying to salvage their goods.

Many packed their ware on the median and roads, causing traffic gridlock

The demolition was carried out by the Agbado Oke-Odo LCDA, in conjunction with the developer, Total Value Integrated Limited.

A trader, who simply identified himself as Zakariya lamented that he did not know where to go after his shop had been demolished, but admitted that the traders were given notices to vacate the market.

Mrs.Augustina Egbuonu, 68, who claimed to be the Financial Secretary of the Ile-Epo Market Association, said she had been in the market for 20 years and that invested N18 million in the market, but lamented that her investment had with the demolition.

But the Managing Director, Total Value Integrated Limited, Chris Onyekachi said the traders were giving 18 months’ notice to vacate the market for redevelopment, but that while some had left the market, others refused to do so.

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2018/04/28/traders-stranded-as-council-demolishes-ile-epo-market-in-lagos/

Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Seun
Where do you guys want them to start from now? And that's one of the places I do my bulk purchases.
Re: Traders Stranded As Council Demolishes Ile-epo Market In Lagos by Emanodimo(m): 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2018
Mobsync:
This is a welcome development.

That market is too rough, dirty and rowdy. Those sellers have even spilled into the street causing serious holdup in that axis.

The day I tried entering inside the market, I hated myself and swore to never attempt such "risky" adventure again.

The floor was filled with this blackened and terrible smelling kpoto kpoto water. I had to climb small stones to navigate through.

You have said it all... Can LASG do more by confining most markets to their respective space, it annoys me seeing them blocking most pedestrian way, a part of the roadside & or the entire road.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Global Scam Called Omegapro / Naira Drops Slightly To ₦763.17/$ On Investors & Exporters' FX Window / 3 Business To Focus On In 2021 That Guaranteed Over 300k Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.