Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi (5832 Views)

Photos From Joseph Yobo's Big Centenary / Joseph Yobo Poses With His Two Sons / Joseph Yobo Chases Mother-in-law From Home - National Enquirer Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by honeric01(m): 12:02am On May 19, 2010
Yobo: Only teamwork can stop Messi

Posted: 2010-05-18 15:02

Joseph Yobo has warned that the Super Eagles will have to play as a team in order to get a result against Lionel Messi and his Argentina team.

Nigeria open their campaign on June 12 against Argentina and Yobo is wary of the devastating effect the current FIFA World Player of the Year has had all season.

"Messi is unbelievable and just seems to get better and better," Yobo told CNN. "Every time he's on the ball you know something is going to happen. He deserves to be the world's best.

"Its going to be very, very difficult, I think we have to do things as a team rather than as individuals. The way he plays he finds his freedom on the pitch which makes him exceptional but if we defend as a team and keep our position and keep our concentration for 90 minutes, hopefully we can do it."

The Everton defender has been involved in the Nigeria international set up since for a decade, and says the pressure is something his Premier League colleagues do not understand.

"They don't understand what we go through in Nigeria - you have an ultimatum of what is expected. For the last African Nations Cup they said if we don't get to the final or semi-final then we are no good.

"There is always expectation because of what players in the past have done and we just have to try to better that or match it and it is very, very difficult. It's not every player that can stand up to that.

"Playing for Nigeria, a nation of over 150 million, football is like a culture so when you do well you're a big hero but when you don't do well it's like you don't want to go back home. We've just got to throw in everything we have got to make sure we make Nigeria proud, and not just Nigeria, Africa as a whole."

Not too many are giving the six African representatives a chance to win the World Cup, with Yobo's teammate Steven Pienaar saying an African country will not win the World Cup, but the big Nigerian insists that it is a unique opportunity for Africa to rule the world.

"The World Cup is coming to Africa and it is very special. In South Africa we have loads of Nigerians staying there - it's like our second home.

"It's very special in Africa because it is bringing out Africa as a continent - especially South Africa the host country - and we're playing close to home and are very excited about that.

"Its a great opportunity and we want to make sure this time - we don't know when an African country is next going to be host -- we prove a point and we show how good African teams are, especially Nigeria.

"Now we are playing close to our fans, close to our home and family and everyone is looking forward to it. There is great expectation and we believe this is the right time if we want to show this area can do something."

“We want to make sure this time we show how good African teams are - especially Nigeria."

Yobo is already in Abuja ahead of a Send Forth Dinner with Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan.

http://kickoffnigeria.com/news/15473/yobo-only-teamwork-can-stop-messi.php
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Tattooboy: 12:53am On May 19, 2010
U can stop Messi? Fine. But what bout Aguero, Milito, Tevez. . . Una no fit stop Henric Larsson let alone Leo.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by honeric01(m): 9:21am On May 19, 2010
Well, let's give him the benefit of doubt, who knows, we might end up winning that match.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by semid4lyfe(m): 10:06am On May 19, 2010
My biggest fear in that group is not Argentina but South Korea.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Nobody: 12:42pm On May 19, 2010
@Semid, i agree wiv u. dunno y people are so afraid of the Argentines.They were pathetic during the south american qualifier.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by skfa1: 12:46pm On May 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Those guys are very fast, we need to study them very well.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by naso2(m): 1:58pm On May 19, 2010
semid4lyfe:

So you fear the koreans more than argentines? how funny. Yes they have team work and are better prepared than the nigerian team, but with teams like that we do not even need an exceptional performance to win.

The korean team can be tamed and defeated. simply by retaining posession and slowing the game down. make their stamina count for less. Our boys are at least intelligent enough to know how to do that.
I also do no think they have a defence line strong enough to stop the likes of Obafemi and Ik UCHE.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by hollandis(f): 2:38pm On May 19, 2010
All the empty vessels are making the most noise.Empty vessels like Kanu and yobo.They have been talkng on the pages of newspapers
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Olaolufred(m): 3:22pm On May 19, 2010
These Talks from Kanu and Yobo may be okay to them. But I hope they proove it in S/A.

I would have respected more anything that comes out of Osaze's mouth.

This parading Captain have not scored up to 5/10 in their past five matches in Nigeria Colour.

However, Largerback's ability to raise a formidable team will be known in the next few days.

Goodluck Nigeria.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Olaolufred(m): 3:24pm On May 19, 2010
If Goodluck send them forth,

They will surely have good luck.

lol
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Nobody: 7:32am On May 20, 2010
We will never beat South Korea [size=18pt]Never![/size] In fact, we stand a better chance beating Agentina than beating either South Korea or Greece.
If not for the likes of Osaze Odemwingie and Daniel Shittu that give their all for Nigeria I'll say we'll crash out without even drawing a game! We need an overhaul in the NFF.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by rasputinn(m): 7:38am On May 20, 2010
OMG,Yobo
Yobo prescribing how to stop Messi is like a carpenter writing prescriptions for trypanosomiasis

For crying out loud Yobo,the only way you can stop Messi from scoring is if you decide to be kicking the ball into your own net,that way Messi wont need to score anymore,after all you're the master of own goal
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by GBOYEGA255(m): 7:59am On May 20, 2010
well u people u have said it all but i want to assure u dat with God nothing shall be immpossible. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by sevo(m): 8:11am On May 20, 2010
u wan stop messi. wat of tevers, aguero, hugain, milito? make dem dey do d scoring? messi no even need him mates help if him wan score goal. him fit do 1 2 with yobo sef score as him score d first goal against arsenal for champions league.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by SLIGHT(m): 8:52am On May 20, 2010
With za kind of players in our team. . . Nigeria can't win za world cup any body wit high bp shud beta keep from watching 9ja during the w.Cup dont say i didn't warn u lols. Lagerback is taking us backwards with all za old players. Yobo knows for sure he's running his mouth. The only tym the nigerian players work as a team is when they start passing the ball backwards till it reaches the goal keeperpost.Lagerback shld try to change it. It's humiliating
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Catchfire1: 8:55am On May 20, 2010
Olaolufred:

lol

Yes its true. I think that after GOODLUCK sends them forth, miraculous things will happen.

The Greek team bus will have three flat tyres on its way to the game against Nigeria which means a walk-over and 3 points for us, thereby taking us to 3rd Place in the group.

The South Korean team will em , I think we'll get a fair win here.

As for Argentina, I doubt if Jonathan can do anything about this one.

All the same, Goodluck 9ja! wink
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by heyma: 9:08am On May 20, 2010
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by category(m): 9:19am On May 20, 2010
Miracles stil happen u knw!
And with GudLuck @ d helms of naija affairs, i smell Victory for d bouyz.
For instance, Messi may catch a little flu to gether wit Gonzialo
While Tevez will have a running stomach. Aguero may play wit slight fever
while Milito 'ill sustain a slight knock few mins into d match.
Other wise diz naija bouyz will get d trashin of their carreers!
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by eldee(m): 9:44am On May 20, 2010
Yobo wants to stop Messi . . . let him stop Aliadiere first grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by boomii(f): 10:03am On May 20, 2010
GBOYEGA255:

well u people u have said it all but i want to assure u dat with God nothing shall be immpossible. grin grin grin grin grin
really funny,I expect them to be trashed by both Argentina and South korea.The Nigerian team is all mouth no action, mschewwww!
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by bisiaet: 10:06am On May 20, 2010
Lets wait and see what will happen the game is already at the door step.

I dont particularly that much worries about Argentina because it may ends up in surprise though I am not saying Nigeria will win them but if Argentina eventually win it may not be as much as everybody thought.

My main fear is about the remaining two countries we tends not to worry about this countries(Greece & Korea) may be the very team that may shock us this is my fear because nobody tends to be talking about them as if they are just a walkover team it may turn another way surprisingly.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by odiaero3(m): 10:16am On May 20, 2010
i wonder wetin de make yobo fear like this, enough own goal grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by MELAA: 10:20am On May 20, 2010
cry cry cry cry am already crying for nigeria ahead of there games. i will not be perturb if nigeria loss all their matches b/cos am going to see good football from other countries other than nigeria.

fellow nairalanders if you don't want to be angry with what nigeria will be playing at the world cup, just go as a neutral fans and not as a nigeria fans cry cry cry
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by eldee(m): 10:34am On May 20, 2010
My prediction for Nigeria in the Group Stages.

1. We will play at least three matches.
2. We will wear a green shirt in at least one of the matches.
3. We will be one of the best four teams in the group.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by amefi(m): 11:00am On May 20, 2010
THE FEAR OF MESSI IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM,
WHEN YOBO COULD NOT STOP ORDINARY DARREN BENT, AGBONLAHOR, HESKY, EDUADO, ANELKA EVEN KANU IN PREMIERSHIP IT'S MESSI HE WANTS TO STOP, I'M ALREADY WEEPING FOR MY COUNTRY CONCERNING THAT GAME AGAINST AGENTINA,
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by davidif: 11:01am On May 20, 2010
eldee:

My prediction for Nigeria in the Group Stages.

1. We will play at least three matches.
2. We will wear a green shirt in at least one of the matches.
3. We will be one of the best four teams in the group.

he he he he.

eldee:

Yobo wants to stop Messi . . . let him stop Aliadiere first grin grin

ha ha ha  

Olaolufred:

lol

yes ooooo with a leader like goodluck what can possibly go wrong? grin grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by jaybee3(m): 11:05am On May 20, 2010
Why is it yobo's job to stop messi? Thought the job would be reserved for our potential left back taiwo who was part of the team that recently won the french league.
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by babsmii(m): 11:26am On May 20, 2010
we can only if we employ Mourinho's tactics, we should agree we can't win that match and just play 9-1-1 formation to frustrate them and look out for few counter to mount a little pressure on them so they can also defend a bit to reduce the pressure but that only worked for inter cos of discipline, training and team work not a team you just coupled a few weeks to the tournament.
i wonder what kinda wall that'll stop that innocent merciless mercy from exhibiting his hobby and talents, hmmm grin
let's just pray it won't be a calamity like 9-0, history!!!!, lol
one thing that i'm optimistic about is Goodluck's interest, in his time we won the WAFU cup, so why not the world cup grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Emmyk(m): 11:29am On May 20, 2010
Nice words from Yobo!!! We need the team to put it to practice!!! And why do people think we can't win Argentina?! . It a privilege we qualified and we're gowin there to , :-/ [b]WIN
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by Nobody: 11:30am On May 20, 2010
honeric01:

"Its going to be very, very difficult, I think we have to do things as a team rather than as individuals.

As a top defender he shouldnt be saying that. When will footballers learn to talk like boxers?  embarassed
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by davidif: 11:42am On May 20, 2010
babaearly:

As a top defender he shouldnt be saying that. When will footballers learn to talk like boxers? embarassed

Because they are two different sports duh? Also, because football fans can be less forgiving if you sign a check you can't cash. Trash talking is acceptable in boxing in football where you are not the variable in the equation and not the only one in charge of your destiny (there are 10 other players whose destiny is shared with you) its a lot different.

Besides Joseph Yobo na top wetin? grin grin
Re: Joseph Yobo Says Only Teamwork Can Stop Messi by hackney(m): 11:44am On May 20, 2010
My biggest fear in our group is everybody!
Lmao!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023 AFCON: Peseiro To Submit Super Eagles Provisional List December 14 / The Formidable Group F in Germany-(all Salute!) / Fifa U-17 World Cup Draws Out (Nigeria 09 Official Thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.