Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: (8634 Views)

AIT,BBC,NTA,VOA,NHK,RT,France 24, Aljazeera,Nollwood Tv, $ More Now FTA / FTA Satellites With Footprint And Fringe Signals In Africa / Ait's New Frequency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by GeorgeD1(m): 3:16pm On May 19, 2010
Guys,
I came across this write-up in sahara reporters on why ait signals have been on and off recently. very interesting indeed:

http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5477-indebtedness-to-satellite-providers-ait-goes-off-air.html

Indebtedness to satellite providers: AIT goes off air PDF  | Print |  E-mail
Thursday, 11 March 2010 16:32

AIT
The operations of DAAR Communications Plc, Nigeria’s mega private television network, ground to a halt today as its international and national network signals were taken off air. AIT may still be able to produce local programs on UHF.  AIT Television is the major service of DAAR Communications Plc. a company that was listed on the Nigeria Stock Exchange. Saharareporters had reported in July last year that the company was on the verge of crumbling due to major financial troubles and mismanagement, but its owner, Raymond Dokpesi, shot back in a rejoinder, claiming that the company was in good health.

One of the key problems was that despite the company going public in 2008, Mr. Dokpesi had continued to run it not only as a private enterprise, but as a one-man operation.  An investor famously described it as "a corporate wreck-in-progress." that owes backlogs of staff salaries.

Similarly, in an article in Saharareporters last August, a former member of staff lamented Dokpesi's recklessness and mismanagement.  "It is obvious that if DAAR is to be saved, the SEC and NSE should embark on the rescue job before it's too late," he wrote.

Sources said the company, which received sole rights to air the recent Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria, now looks forward to the Federal government of Nigeria to pay the debt it owed it for transmitting the FIFA event.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by microgiant: 4:26pm On May 19, 2010
Most Nigerian businesses are programmed to fail from the planning stage. It's more of hype than reality.

I was never interested in the shares of AIT and Transcorp. In the case of Transcorp my colleagues bought so many shares and advised me to do same, but i declined because they had nothing to offer, other than government backing involvement of those in power. And from experience most of the businesses that depend on government in power to survive close shop once that particular government is out of seat.

heard a rumour long time ago that it was because Daar Comm couldn't pay for their transponders that was why the transmission was stopped by the Satellite owners.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by kenny1st(m): 5:55pm On May 19, 2010
, have always said this , it's not possible to walk withouth crawling. AIT has a very big dream, great but the truth is that they have to start from a very little begining . Why i'm saying this is because of what i foresaw when this station newly kicked-off sometimes in 1998, if i'm not wrong. If anyone noticed, they never organised in some of their programming, the flutuctuating audio system had ever been the same since i know this station far back couple with some other avoidable/usual technical itches.

CNN and those other big TV stations start-up from somewhere except for those that have big and financially buoyant personalities committed to form a co-operate body in order to achieve the big dream . In a nut shell, what i'm driving at is that Dokpesi should have been more concerned on enhancement/improvement of Local transmission before thinking of spreading the tentackle to other part of the world like europe, america , etc that project is a very huge one that demand alot .

Honestly, i dont pray AIT should close-up and i'm very optimistic about their success, however, i think there are lessons there to be learnt. GOOD LUCK.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by GeorgeD1(m): 6:43pm On May 19, 2010
kenny,
i think you're right. ait wanted to run before they could crawl. just look at how daarsat crumbled. what a big lesson!
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by justmoore: 3:42pm On May 21, 2010
waiting for more story please, its educative.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by freshp(m): 3:50pm On May 21, 2010
Whats this doing here for God's Sake.
moderator, wey you dey. grin grin
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by Spyker: 4:44pm On May 21, 2010
AIT is owing their staff six months salary, only allowances have been paid. Don't ask me for source, a Staff told me so.
The problem with AIT is greed. The Management rushed into Daarsat with share holders money and now is running into debt because shares crumbled.
I just pray they get back on their fit otherwise there will be more jobless Nigerians to add to add to the over choked labour market. Same for Aero Contractors.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by informatix: 4:46pm On May 21, 2010
la lie AIT r too big to be stopped by indebtedness to satelite providers i was there neighbour in abuja and kano they have enough money to pay for the diesel not to talk of bandwidth. 1M/1M dedicated c-band is ot up to 4k$ they have survived when it was 10K$ not to talk of now. pls. comfirm before u write. what is SCPC bandwidth?.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by informatix: 4:47pm On May 21, 2010
la lie AIT r too big to be stopped by indebtedness to satelite providers i was there neighbour in abuja and kano they have enough money to pay for the diesel not to talk of bandwidth. 1M/1M dedicated c-band is ot up to 4k$ they have survived when it was 10K$ not to talk of now. pls. confirm before u write. what is SCPC bandwidth?.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by harpo(m): 5:03pm On May 21, 2010
@Informatix, nobody is saying AIT does not have money we all know they have but we are saying there is mismanagement going on and if u have money why not pay your staff regualy.

And for heaven sake what is all this cable network and AIT all over the place, why not get yourself grounded first with one then move gradually, I am sorry to say oh all those that bought AIT shares have goofed you guys better make sure at AGM's you speak out to AIT management that you want credible management, corporate governance and top of all Return on investment. I am sure if this was a well run country AIT for no fit sell shares now how a company that was begging for donations at one time not so far gone. please they should get thier signals proper to.

Pleeeeaaaaseee
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 21, 2010
I didn't notice that thou

but the sharpness and tech is kinda still same ,

I can only give it to DBN and SUPERSCREEN recently

NTA is worst. Same old shit tech
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by saemoenl(f): 6:07pm On May 21, 2010
That was an old news you copied from Sharareporters. (3-4 months news) Dont bring us back
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by Skidoc(m): 6:37pm On May 21, 2010
Does anyone in UK remember AIT Movistar Channel 333 or 330 that was calling for subscription sometime ago? Just out of curiosity, what happened to all the subscribers' money when the channel went off air?
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by GeorgeD1(m): 6:45pm On May 21, 2010
saemoenl,
it may be 'old' news to you but for most of us on fta it is still very recent in our memory because we know what we suffered during that period. all that tracking and finetuning of dishes just to get a signal that was not available was not easy at all!  sad
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by nazzyon(m): 8:53pm On May 21, 2010
I sympathise with their subscriber & shareholders.

Glad not have bought in their shares.
____

Can't just imagine what I would be saying now.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by rockkchick: 9:47pm On May 21, 2010
So sorry for posting this here cuz i couldnt figure out how to create a new post, not user friendly , this naiaraland site, lol, anyway, i digress,

Pls follow link http://betawards.bet.com/nominees/category/best-international-act and vote MI or P-Square as BET Best International Act. Thnx pple. One love, Lets support our artistes and get them recognised on the world stage,
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by master2(m): 2:25am On May 22, 2010
Chei!!! grin grin grin U mean say my money wen i invest don go like that. I no go gree!!!!! angry angry angry angry angry sad
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by Princek12(m): 3:06am On May 22, 2010
Mazi, why our boiz dey phuck up now?
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by adeibi: 3:36am On May 22, 2010
rockkchick:

So sorry for posting this here cuz i couldnt figure out how to create a new post, not user friendly , this naiaraland site, lol, anyway, i digress,

Pls follow link http://betawards.bet.com/nominees/category/best-international-act and vote MI or P-Square as BET Best International Act. Thnx pple. One love, Lets support our artistes and get them recognised on the world stage,
can i vote 4 more dn one artiste no nid to ask cos i jst did
bt honestly if i were to choose one artiste on dt list, my vote will def go 2 K'NAAN dt guy is soooooooo gud. av u listened 2 wavin flag?
in order to show my patriotism 2 our blovd country i also voted 4 p-square nd my MR INCREDIBLE

sorry 4 d digression house
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by IRAPADA(m): 6:46am On May 22, 2010
I thk FG shd do something abt al this company like daarsat who come to d market to reap ppl of their money and after few month they fold up.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by TEEZERO(m): 7:34am On May 22, 2010
There must be avenues to report such. I think SEC is the one to help out anyone who had been conned to part with his or her money.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by aieromon(m): 8:43am On May 22, 2010
I'm very disappointed that Daar Comm. has been unable to pay salary to its staff.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by otokx(m): 11:08am On May 22, 2010
This is no news; Daar communications has always been in trouble.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by izby(m): 12:50pm On May 22, 2010
why is the tread post here? to help the situation or to condemn
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by topkin(m): 11:08pm On May 22, 2010
They've had this problem since early last year, It has to do with paying their Cable fees and staff salary, Dokpesi has just been patching since then. Mismanagement of funds is the major problem!
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by cvibe: 7:32am On May 23, 2010
Really?
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by sulad82i(m): 5:12pm On May 23, 2010
Bad management is no more news in Nigeria. I wonder if any business can really survive in the long run in the Nigerian corrupt economy.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by shotster50(m): 1:31am On May 24, 2010
Nigerian companies always want to achieve too much too quickly, get a business plan and stick to it. Dokpesi thinks he can be CNN overnight well there you go, it is fast becoming a failed project like Minaj leaving in its trail, unemployed ex staff and a massive indebtedness.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by adconline(m): 9:47am On May 24, 2010
How could a company that had asked for a bailout 1990's when 'bailout' had not been made a popular lexicon in English Dictionary not be in trouble today where bailout is more popular than father christmas? They started on a faulty foundation -from N500 million credit line from banks that wanted to take over their biz because of non-servicing of loans.
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by AMIRACH: 11:59am On May 24, 2010
because they weren't liberal in their programmes its Yoruba dominated
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by GeorgeD1(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2010
raymond and co never even bothered explaining to their teeming subscribers what happened to daarsat.

one day they were singing 'daarsat fever', 'daarsat fever', and the next day, they were gone! no signals, no explanation, no nothing!

what a way to run a broadcast company! sad
Re: Why AIT Signals Have Been Going Of And On Recently: by Nobody: 6:26pm On May 24, 2010
So you guys saying daarsat is gone?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tstv Has Added On Additional New Channels / USB Tv Tuner That Can Catch Satelite/cable Tv Channels / Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.