Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,865 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver - Satellite TV Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver (8712 Views)

Get Qsat Q23g Satellite Receiver And Enjoy Free 200 Channels For 1yr / Connecting Up To 4 Dishes On One Decoder Using A Diseqc (pauxis) 4x1 switch. / Entering Dcw Keys On Strong Receiver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by geman(m): 8:42pm On Feb 02, 2011
Hi Friends,
I know you have discussed a lot on the crossing of RS-232 Cables but I have a query still.

My laptop port has a provision for a Cable of 15pins which means that I cannot connect my Technosat T-888 plus to it since the Receiver has only 9 pins. Is it possible to get a cable that can match those 2 differences?

If not, please advise.

Many thanks.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by Lov4sat(m): 12:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
@geman,
You can buy a RS232 to USB cable at any computer shop around you. this will enable you connect your box to your laptop
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by geman(m): 1:47pm On Feb 03, 2011
Lov4sat:

@geman,
You can buy a RS232 to USB cable at any computer shop around you. this will enable you connect your box to your laptop

Hi Lov4sat,
I appreciate your response. However, like I said earlier, the Laptop has a provision for a Video cable which uses 15pins meaning that the port on my laptop has 15 holes/ slots while my receiver has a port with 9 pins. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205.

Please advise.

Many thanks.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by linksman(m): 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Geman,
to start with, your laptop does not have a serial port!!!
the 15 hole slot on your laptop is the external VGA port. It's used for connecting your laptop display to an external monitor or screen.
as Lov4sat suggested, you need a USB 2 Serial adapter that will allow you use any usb port on your laptop to connect to the serial interface of your receiver.
just go to any computer accessory shop and ask for it. if possible ask for the brand "BAFO".
hope this helps.
cheers grin
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by owokasib: 2:48pm On Feb 03, 2011
@geman,

Please be informed that the 15pin port on your laptop is VGA output port i.e 'monitor out'. You can use it to send video signal to a projector, TV and so on.

The 9 pin is your serial port usually used for sending communication signal to and from the PC. You can use it with a table phone, sat receiver and so on. Recent laptops are no longer equipped with the serial port but with usb ports that serve multiple communication purposes as long as you can get the required cable configuration.

Save yourself the trouble of playing with joining wires, listen to Lov4sat and go straight to any computer market to buy a serial to usb cable. It is the same cable that was being used in those days of dial up internet for connecting Intercelular, Multilinks, Starcomms, and other table (box ) phones to PCs. They come in several shapes and sizes.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by Lov4sat(m): 3:03pm On Feb 03, 2011
@Geman,

Your laptop also have ports for USB devices such as flash drives etc which you can connect your RS232 cross cable to and not the 15pins slot.

trust this would help?
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by geman(m): 3:42pm On Feb 03, 2011
Hey Buddie,
Now that is interesting. Are you meaning that there is another way of connecting the cable to a USB port?

Please educate me on this and if possible show me some pics of the same.

Will be very grateful.

Many thanks.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by Lov4sat(m): 10:55am On Feb 04, 2011
@geman,

I think I have one at home which I can upload for you to see tomorrow when I get home
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by geman(m): 12:54pm On Feb 04, 2011
Hey Lov4sat,
Thanks for that reply.

I am still waiting for the pics.

Many thanks.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by Lov4sat(m): 11:23am On Feb 05, 2011
@geman

see below pictures of RS232 cable and RS232 to USB cable as promised

Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by freshp(m): 11:51pm On Feb 05, 2011
@love4sat,
Impressive.please keep it up.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by hisoccer(m): 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2011
Nice one
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by geman(m): 10:34am On Feb 09, 2011
Lov4sat,
Many thanks for the pics Buddie.
I'll get on the hunt for the same.

Thanks again and be blessed.
Re: Laptop Port For Connecting Receiver by GeorgeD1(m): 10:34am On Feb 10, 2011
lov4sat,
those pics are quite interesting.

(1) (Reply)

Startimes Wrestles Key Football Rights From Dstv / I Need Help On How To Install Dstv / Starsat Sr200hd 4k Resolution Sr90000 H265 Extreme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.