Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,620 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? (654 Views)

How Do You Like To Be Comforted When You're Sad Or Upset? / Fights Break Out In Myanmar In Resistance Of Military Upset / Why Do People Wait Till January Of Every Year To Make Resolutions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 01, 2018
I'm fairly new to the forum and Ive noticed that people get upset when quoted. Can someone tell me why? I thought that you quote someone when you want to directly respond to what he/she has said. Am I wrong?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by NeeKlaus: 5:31pm On May 01, 2018
hiawathia1981:
I'm fairly new to the forum and Ive noticed that people get upset when quoted. Can someone tell me why? I thought that you quote someone when you want to directly respond to what he/she has said. Am I wrong?
What exactly are you saying? Explain yourself in clear terms, let's know how to help you.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 01, 2018
When reading a couple of threads, I've noticed that one Nairlander will reply to the topic. And then someone else will quote them and make a follow up response. But then the first person will get upset and say things like"Dont quote me again" or "stop quoting me." Some will say worse things than that. I was just confused why the person is upset by someone quoting them. I just thought the quote function is to directly respond to what that person has said.

I didnt quote you bc Im the first person to respond but it is harder when several people have responded in between yourself and the original commenter.
Maybe im overanalyzing.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by iSpread(m): 5:43pm On May 01, 2018
The upset comes when you're quoting a long write up and that causes other readers to have to keep scrolling down before they finally read your comments which at times was "foolish". The upset also comes when your quoting articles that need not quoting, just make your replies, everyone will see it fine including the owner of the article.
You don't need to quote to respond directly, like i said just reply.
Many reasons people get upset on quoting on Nairaland but these are the core ones.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 01, 2018
Ohh..I see.

Hmm but that doesnt explain if commenter 3 said something you want to address but there are 6 comments after that. So u are now commenter 9. I just quote commenter 3 so that said person knows I was responding to his/her comment.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by iSpread(m): 6:03pm On May 01, 2018
If the post is short,you may constructively and intelligently make your comments.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Favor99(m): 3:28am On May 14, 2018
hiawathia1981:
They aren’t mad because the person quoted them. They’re mad because of what the quoter said. It’s what the person said that made the them mad. No one will get mad at a person simply for quoting them

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Nobody: 2:19am On May 15, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Favor99(m): 5:26am On May 15, 2018
hiawathia1981:
Thank you for taking the time to reply
Your welcome
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by carbonado(m): 4:07pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:
Hi, most people that get upset when they are quoted is due to the fact that they are being trolled or stalked by that person quoting them, or they have had an e- fight on another thread, hence on getting to another thread, the cycle continues, you see there a lot of young people in here hence a lot of such attitude.
Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 07, 2018
carbonado:

Hi, most people that get upset when they are quoted is due to the fact that they are being trolled or stalked by that person quoting them, or they have had an e- fight on another thread, hence on getting to another thread, the cycle continues, you see there a lot of young people in here hence a lot of such attitude.

Thanks for your response.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Upset About The Quote Function? by Stallion93(m): 11:36pm On Jun 08, 2018
Actually there's no logic in it, We do a lotta shiit here without reason so don't try to crack your head in understanding. U just signed up so welcome To NL and hope u enjoy your stay

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Boys Has Just Called Me Bruv... Somebody Kill Me Please!' / Study&traveling To BULGARIA Make Easy / My Pact With Olorunda Constituents, Hon Mufutau Adediran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.