Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,166 members, 7,838,990 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making (45986 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by ZaIykeJude(m): 9:14am On May 02, 2018
veekid:
This one go put food on my table abi?

Yes it 'go' put food for ur table tongue

Recieve sense!

4 Likes

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by bigdot1759(m): 9:20am On May 02, 2018
op I beg can dis grammar add more money to my account or carry me go heaven
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by bigdot1759(m): 9:24am On May 02, 2018
ZaIykeJude:

Yes it 'go' put food for ur table tongue

Recieve sense!
mogbe go tell obasanjo set e no Sabi correct grammar abi na grammar Dem dey use promote to Police IG Post, go tell IG sey he no Sabi grammar
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by qreem231(m): 9:27am On May 02, 2018
Coldfeets:

Good one.

Me, I have declared a personal war a long time ago on all the "Am" idiots on nairaland.
Even celebrities are not left out, Anita Joseph, Efe bbn, the list goes on.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Ralphlauren(m): 9:28am On May 02, 2018
sunky97

how can you forget to add 'lose' vs 'loose'

a lot of people do not know the difference between both words and how to use them correctly in the right context in a sentence

3 Likes

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by calcal: 9:28am On May 02, 2018
of what use? go study your own language. shameless neggas

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Augiiee(m): 9:36am On May 02, 2018
OP, God bless you for making this post, i for one is very fond of making the third mistake (its vs it's) my whole life i have used both in any context.

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Inioluwa01(m): 9:39am On May 02, 2018
aribisala0:

Thank you but

Number 5 .
I do not think this is a matter of grammar but style and in some instances it is just not right
e.g we would not write

Have you heard from Zenith Bank?
It has not reponded

Rather

they have not responded

Nuumber 14

Whom did we hire to join the podcast team is just wrong

Rather who is used to indicate a KNOWN person or entity and not an UNKNOWN person .

If we don't know who we are talking about we do not use WHOM as in

Whom did we hire but

Who did we hire.?

When we know who we are talking about then we say whom e.g

This is Jane is the one whom I spoke to you about last week.
Jane s the one whom we have hired

So it is wrong to ask identity starting with WHOM, use WHO instead

There are other rules rrelating to use of whom or who which I won't go into here

My take: if you are not an expert leave people alone with their grammar we are not English
Beautiful! I almost spelled out the same observations you made. Weldone!

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by encrypt(m): 10:00am On May 02, 2018
Why is Sale vs Sell Never addressed?!

It's the worst of them all...you'd see people typing how much do you want to sale it..like tf!!
If in doubt search the word 'sale' on NL, I can wager a good sum that half the results will show the word used in place of sell.
Very very annoying !

3 Likes

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by greenprince(m): 10:04am On May 02, 2018
ominilongest:
who English epp undecided

Me.... cheesy

It may be the reason you don't hit that big contract or get that opportunity. It won't kill you, just open up to it and improve.

4 Likes

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Isomerizm(m): 10:26am On May 02, 2018
Sunky97 Nice article.

Please I need to know the rules guiding the use of 'less'and 'lesser'. Thanks you.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Afokeoghen: 10:40am On May 02, 2018
[quote author=aribisala0 post=67205601

My take: if you are not an expert leave people alone with their grammar we are not English[/quote]

While your observations are on point and noted.. your 'take' is not in line.
You don't leave people alone with their wrong grammar. A lot of people are grateful for that post. Your contribution added to the common good.

We may not be English but English is our lingua Franca. You know.

I don't think we have to wait till we become experts before set out to make some corrections.

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Originalsly: 10:52am On May 02, 2018
8. Me and I

When you get done with that report, can you send it to Bill and I?

Simply extend the sentence

When you get done with the report, send it to Bill and send it to me.

Emeka was kicked out of the local football club before me/I.
Emeka was kicked out of the football club before I (was kicked out of the football club.)

Chioma is taller than (me/I) but she is not older than (me/I.)
Chioma is taller than I[/b]am tall but she is not older than [b]I am old.

My brother can sing better than me/I, but he can't dance better than me/I.

When between is used.... follow with me.

Between you and me/I, who English epp?

Educative thread.....how did this slip through to FP??

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by aribisala0(m): 10:54am On May 02, 2018
[quote author=Afokeoghen post=67208022][/quote] You must have problems with comprehension

The blind cannot lead the blind.

One does not sell or give what one does not possess

Nemo Quod dat non habet

It is foolish to posture as an expert and pontificate on a subject which one has no knowledge of thereby misleading those equally ignorant.

If people are interested in learning grammar this thread is not the place to attend

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by ogbiwa: 10:55am On May 02, 2018
Just like someone keeps using the hashtag #AmSorryAmWinningEP to promote his new song. Everytime. Like no one around him has seen it all these while?
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by sonsomegrigbo: 10:57am On May 02, 2018
To keep up with their changing audience, Southwest Airlines rebranded in 2014.

Apart from the fact that the Igbos are not as educated as the Yoruba and Hausa.

They are not even legitimately rich as Yorubas!

Imagine the example :
To keep up with their changing audience, Southwest Airlines rebranded in 2014.

IGBOS the only way out is for you to start enrolling yourselves and children in schools....

Shiorrrrrr

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by ImaIma1(f): 11:06am On May 02, 2018
Op the one that gets to me is this expression..."it doesn't worth it"

Please tell them that it is "it is not worth it"

Another one i saw recently is "i so much like that thing.."

It is better to say "i like that thing so much"
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Originalsly: 11:08am On May 02, 2018
aribisala0:
You must have problems with comprehension

The blind cannot lead the blind.

One does not sell or give what one does not possess

Nemo Quod dat non habet

It is foolish to posture as an expert and pontificate on a subject which one has no knowledge of thereby misleading those equally ignorant.

If people are interested in learning grammar this thread is not the place to attend
Bro.... if OP is misleading readers on something.... let us know about it instead of simply condemning him. Is there anything you can contribute to educate us?... help us correct common mistakes? Criticisms are always welcomed.....constructive criticisms.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Nobody: 11:11am On May 02, 2018
DOUBLEWAHALA:
the main fact is. do u understand what the person is saying .

This one is still a toddler.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by aribisala0(m): 11:20am On May 02, 2018
Originalsly:

Bro.... if OP is misleading readers on something.... let us know about it instead of simply condemning him. Is there anything you can contribute to educate us?... help us correct common mistakes? Criticisms are always welcomed.....constructive criticisms.
I did that in the 1st post so please naff off!!
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by chukxie(m): 11:44am On May 02, 2018
Augiiee:
OP, God bless you for making this post, [b]i for one is very fond [/b]of making the third mistake (its vs it's) my whole life i have used both in any context.

Permit me to ask a question. I hope you wouldn't mind or think I'm trying to slight you. I'm just trying to learn.

Which is of the two expressions below is correct?

A) I for one is very fond of making mistakes.
B) I for one am very fond of making mistakes.

1 Like

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Isomerizm(m): 11:52am On May 02, 2018
chukxie:

Permit me to ask a question. I hope you wouldn't mind or think I'm trying to slight you. I'm just trying to learn.

Which is of the two expressions below is correct?

A) I for one is very fond of making mistakes.
B) I for one am very fond of making mistakes.
the second one.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by chukxie(m): 12:00pm On May 02, 2018
Isomerizm:
the second one.

Good!
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by NigeriaIsDoomed: 12:52pm On May 02, 2018
Nice one!
Please who did we really offend in Nigeria?
I went to a kiosk to get some stuff totaling 470, gave the hausa woman 1000 to bring 530 balance.
She did her costing mentally and faulted mine so I had to use my calculator.
Inspite of this she was still arguing that it was wrong.
It took the intervention of a lady who also came to buy something to convince the woman even after seeing the total amount on the calculator.
Please with these backward and illiterate Northern folks, will Nigeria ever progress?
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Coldfeets: 1:14pm On May 02, 2018
qreem231:

Even celebrities are not left out, Anita Joseph, Efe bbn, the list goes on.

That should tell you something about their education.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Angelfrost(m): 1:25pm On May 02, 2018
Lovely post. How about the common wrong usage of "loose" in the stead of "lose"? This has become taken for granted that most people now think it's correct. For some reason I can't fathom, it makes me think less of a person's intelligence when I spot it. I find it 'unforgivable'.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by tobillionaire(m): 1:34pm On May 02, 2018
someone shld pls tell me d difference between 'will' and 'would'
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Bravo177: 1:52pm On May 02, 2018
KrystosCJ:
Most of the people that type on NL don't read let alone type good English.

Someone asked, "Who English epp?".

At the end of the day,

English is not for everybody.
y that's how we lose British accent because we simply don't care about the language.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by Bravo177: 2:05pm On May 02, 2018
NigeriaIsDoomed:
Nice one!
Please who did we really offend in Nigeria?
I went to a kiosk to get some stuff totaling 470, gave the hausa woman 1000 to bring 530 balance.
She did her costing mentally and faulted mine so I had to use my calculator.
Inspite of this she was still arguing that it was wrong.
It took the intervention of a lady who also came to buy something to convince the woman even after seeing the total amount on the calculator.
Please with these backward and illiterate Northern folks, will Nigeria ever progress?

It's impossible to progress with the alarming number if illiterates snd drop outs. There is no way people are going to make the right decision about voting if they don't know what to lookout for in a leader.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by mascotman(m): 2:40pm On May 02, 2018
aribisala0:

Thank you but

Number 5 .
I do not think this is a matter of grammar but style and in some instances it is just not right
e.g we would not write

Have you heard from Zenith Bank?
It has not responded

Rather

they have not responded

Nuumber 14

Whom did we hire to join the podcast team is just wrong

Rather whom is used to indicate a KNOWN person or entity and not an UNKNOWN person .

If we don't know who we are talking about we do not use WHOM as in

Whom did we hire but

Who did we hire.?

When we know who we are talking about then we say whom e.g

This is Jane is the one whom I spoke to you about last week.
Jane s the one whom we have hired

So it is wrong to ask identity starting with WHOM, use WHO instead

There are other rules rrelating to use of whom or who which I won't go into here

My take: if you are not an expert leave people alone with their grammar we are not English
he did a great job there. you complemented his job in you explanations. I think it is no use advising him to leave people alone with their grammar since we're not English. A lot of people have taken correction from his write up and yours.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by uuzba(m): 2:47pm On May 02, 2018
KrystosCJ:
Most of the people that type on NL don't read let alone type good English.

Someone asked, "Who English epp?".

At the end of the day,

English is not for everybody.
-
Without this English we are speaking, we would not have a country. There would be mass chaos everywhere.
The English we are speaking united us. The English we refused to speak, when we started doing "me and my village"
runs in government work, has led to the detriment you see today.
Re: 20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making by uuzba(m): 2:50pm On May 02, 2018
tobillionaire:
someone shld pls tell me d difference between 'will' and 'would'

See the difference here:
https://writingexplained.org/will-vs-would-difference

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 100 Universities In Subsaharan Africa: 26 Nigerian Universities Make List / Student Was Bullied For Putting Same Clothes, His Classmates Contributed Money / List Of New Words Added To The English Dictionary In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.