Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies (8595 Views)

With The Nokia G11 And Nokia G21 You Won’t Ever Bother About Battery Life / How To Clear Cache And Cookies In Chrome / How To Clear Cache, Cookies Or Browsing History On Mac Safari? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by AfricAryan: 5:37am On May 04, 2018
Everyone who uses the internet for anything must, at one point, have come across the word ‘cookie.’  Some websites would alert us that they work better by saving cookies on our system. Other times, the savvier users, when clearing their browsing history, may see a ‘clear cookies’ option of their web browsers, but what exactly is this cookie? No, cookies, in tech are not made in the kitchen.

What Do Cookies Really Do?

Internet or web cookies are messages a web server sends to users’ internet browsers, and cookies are primarily used for recognizing users and saving some of their browsing data in order to customize their web browsing experience.

When you visit a site that makes use of cookies, the website may require that you complete a form; on this form, you provide some information, such as your email address, name, address, and so on, depending on what the website or platform needs in order to enhance your browsing experience on your subsequent visits. Note that sites have no memory; this information is stored in the message sent to your web browser.

The next time you visit that website, they retrieve this information from your browser, and so the site recalls who you are and your browsing preferences on navigating their site. So, you get customized web pages like a page with your name on it.

Types of Internet Cookies

Websites store two major types of cookies on users’ PCs. Internet cookies could either be session cookies or persistent cookies. The simple difference between these two types of cookies is that the session cookies (AKA transient cookies) are deleted when the user closes his internet browser, but the persistent cookies (AKA stored cookies) are not.

Session cookies are stored temporarily on your computer, where the website can retrieve them at will until you close your browser. These cookies do not collect any data from your computer but will save information as a session indication that does not identify the user personally.

Persistent cookies, on the other hand, have expiration dates and remain on your hard disk till they expire, or till the user removes them. These cookies are used to collect user data, identifying his or her internet browsing preferences and browsing behavior for a particular website. They are not necessarily bad, but the considerably improve your browsing experience.

Why You Should Be Aware of Cookies

In this day and age, data is a big deal; you cannot say you do not care because you should. Internet cookies usually contain a string of texts with information about your browser and information that you must have provided at some point. Now, this information should be encrypted to prevent third parties from getting their hands on them.

Cookies do not usually compromise internet security. However, there are malicious cookies that the bad guys use in tracking and collecting your internet activity; these cookies are known as tracking cookies or simply malicious cookies. These cookies are the reason you should beware of cookies while on the net. These guys remain in your browser to spy on you. Malicious cookies are configured to monitor you, collect your information, and basically create a profile of your internet behavior. We call cookies developed for these kinds of activities adware or spyware. For example, a new trojan, named Stresspaint, discovered hidden inside a free Windows software called "Relieve Stress Paint," spread through аоӏ.net —a site that utilizes Unicode characters, which spell out ‘xn--80a2a18a.net,’ in Punycode.

Why You Should Be Afraid of Malicious Cookies Even If You Have Nothing to Hide

I mentioned that these malicious cookies build a profile about you; these profiles are often extremely valuable; enough for the proprietors to sell to advertising companies, who then use your profile information to target you with tailored advertisements.

Tailored advertisements can kill you because it is not just ads. Let’s say, for instance; you have two health products; the product A is of very high quality, but product B is made by quacks and only out to get your money. Now, the owners of product B (who happen to be crooked businessmen) lay their hands on user’s browsing behavior and do some incredibly targeted advertising. The user then gets on the web and starts Googling about the products; the user will be shown adverts of the products he or she is searching for; with the adverts even containing similar keywords the user had searched with previously. The unsuspecting user will end up opting for the wrong products due to such intense targeted advertising. As they say, the possibilities are endless. Still not bothered?

Some malware not only track your browsing behavior, but also your keystrokes. They monitor exactly everything you type including your passwords, bank account details, answers to security questions, and so on. Many antivirus programs detect malicious cookies on your computer when scanning for viruses. While most of these trusted antivirus programs will surely reduce your chances of getting spied on, you cannot completely rely on them for many reasons. I know big, reputable antivirus companies that develop and distribute viruses, while also marketing the antivirus programs that protect users from these viruses; funding both sides of the war.

Reason Core Security anti-malware is an anti-malware software I use and highly recommend.

Also, outdated versions or databases of antivirus programs make you more vulnerable to attacks, and some viruses are so well crafted that antiviruses can just not find them.

Even if you had 100% protection from viruses and spyware (which is not possible, by the way), harm could be done before your next scan. So, prevention is definitely better than cure. In my next post, I will show you how to identify internet cookies, view them, and how to remove these internet cookies from your system.

Source: www.ilesecure.com/why-you-should-bother-about-internet-cookies

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Redoil: 5:45am On May 04, 2018
Cookies in the jar
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by chukxie(m): 6:08am On May 04, 2018
Scary Shi.t the internet has become. The internet has shrunk the earth into a tiny ball where messages, videos, video and voice calls can be sent and responses received almost in realtime. Books, research materials, declassified and sometimes even classified materials can be read online. Thanks to the internet dating, shopping, banking, tickets and hotel reservations have all become relatively easy. In fact life has become much better because the internet has connected us all together. They say there are two sides to every invention, to everything. The internet is no exception to this fact of life. In this age of super information highway, hackers can steal a person's data and use it for evil. Smart televisions can be hacked to eavesdrop, and record every conversation uttered. Also, T.Vs and laptops with inbuilt webcams can be manipulated to record and transmit videos without the inkling of the owners of such gadgets. Smart cars can be manipulated to veer off course and crash. The list goes on. Scary Shi.t! Sometimes, I miss the good old days of writing letters, and dropping them off at the post office. Those beautiful days of landline telephones. Those were beautiful days, right?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by femi4: 6:37am On May 04, 2018
Cookies dey chop data

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Damoxy(m): 7:08am On May 04, 2018
If only these cookies could be Eaten

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by nony43(m): 7:08am On May 04, 2018
G
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by lat1tudeo3: 7:09am On May 04, 2018
meanwhile 2.months old Camon CM for sale
Location Abeokuta
Asking price 38k
Very clean and working perfectly

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by telim: 7:13am On May 04, 2018
just surf the web in private mode and use click and clean pluggin to clean up your browser.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by armadeo(m): 7:13am On May 04, 2018
I always knew there was something wrong with those cookies.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by cutedela: 7:32am On May 04, 2018
Wow,this is certainly the most educating, informative and interesting piece of write up I've come across since I joined this forum. True me I just learned a lot about spywares...... Good work I must confess,God bless you real good

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Nobody: 7:36am On May 04, 2018
Good morning to you all
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by slapacha: 7:47am On May 04, 2018
cutedela:
Wow,this is certainly the most educating, informative and interesting piece of write up I've come across since I joined this forum. True me I just learned a lot about spywares...... Good work I must confess,God bless you real good

You're probably a neophyte on here or you're lazy to read if this is the most educating, informative and interesting piece of write up you've come across.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Emmy3(m): 7:51am On May 04, 2018
I know 80% of us didn't read everything

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Nobody: 8:17am On May 04, 2018
Informative.
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Slimcase: 8:29am On May 04, 2018
Emmy3:
I know 80% of us didn't read everything

Who get time undecided

Cookie kò Gingerbread ní

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by chiogoezubem(f): 8:44am On May 04, 2018
Ok
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by kmaster007: 8:59am On May 04, 2018
who get tym to read all dis stuff, dey Suld hv jst brief it... go straight to d point. dat wat we need here

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by MarkWayne89: 9:29am On May 04, 2018
Thanks bro!

Unfortunately, not many know how they are tracked and monitored through cookies installed (or dropped) on their browser.
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by diamond88: 9:55am On May 04, 2018
lalasticlala kindly move this to front page
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by diamond88: 9:56am On May 04, 2018
kmaster007:
who get tym to read all dis stuff, dey Suld hv jst brief it... go straight to d point. dat wat we need here

thats the best way to present it
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by deeway200(m): 10:30am On May 04, 2018
na only cookies biscuit I sabi
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by Kentrasso(f): 11:32am On May 04, 2018
Thanks for this educative post! I always wondered what cookies meant.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by boolet: 12:24pm On May 04, 2018
Thanks op

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by DaVinciii(m): 12:43pm On May 04, 2018
slapacha:

You're probably a neophyte on here or you're lazy to read if this is the most educating, informative and interesting piece of write up you've come across.
Oga calm down
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by KratosCorp: 1:14pm On May 04, 2018
@AfricAryan, You cannot have efficient internet without cookies, just as you cannot run an efficient life without vehicles. So just like we are all not demonizing the vehicles because they are used by armed robbers or reckless drivers, we should also not try to demonize cookies because of a VERY few bad elements.

Again, there is nothing wrong in using cookies for targeted advertising. It is the job of internet user to learn how to use the internet for effective product research. Besides, if you care about your health so much, you should probably be getting your health products from your doctors and pharmacists, not the internet.

Finally, that your endorsement link to anti-virus software is a Maxbounty affiliate link which uses cookies and earns you a commission per lead. Of course that's not a problem. The problem is that you did not disclose the fact that your fear mongering article (plus its anti-virus pitch) is not only biased but also actually contains a cookied tracking link.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by samfibby(m): 3:59pm On May 04, 2018
A well-maintained web server has nothing to worry about regarding the adverse use or hijack of session cookies. Cookies have integerity check mechanisms in place to prevent attacks like JavaScript or XSS based attacks.
Asides this, the end user who visits a site has the option of stopping these scripts from running on its browser. This is why site owners have a duty to inform users as at login of the presence of cookies processes.
Nairaland, Facebook, Twitte all use cookies extensively but it behoves on its management to effectively protect users from falling prey to cookie theft.
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by HOLYDICK(m): 4:29pm On May 04, 2018
Use thor browser problem solved
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by AfricAryan: 10:35pm On May 04, 2018
KratosCorp:
@AfricAryan, You cannot have efficient internet without cookies, just as you cannot run an efficient life without vehicles. So just like we are all not demonizing the vehicles because they are used by armed robbers or reckless drivers, we should also not try to demonize cookies because of a VERY few bad elements.

Again, there is nothing wrong in using cookies for targeted advertising. It is the job of internet user to learn how to use the internet for effective product research. Besides, if you care about your health so much, you should probably be getting your health products from your doctors and pharmacists, not the internet.

Finally, that your endorsement link to anti-virus software is a Maxbounty affiliate link which uses cookies and earns you a commission per lead. Of course that's not a problem. The problem is that you did not disclose the fact that your fear mongering article (plus its anti-virus pitch) is not only biased but also actually contains a cookied tracking link.

Cookies are great because they enhance your browsing experience. This was stated is the article.
Re: Why You Should Bother About Internet Cookies by christabel12(f): 3:41am On May 06, 2018
Very informative

(1) (Reply)

Playstation 1 Emulator For Symbian / Best Audio Media Player For Android / Nokia C7, E7 And N7 Which One Is The Best.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.