Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures (1361 Views)

Tax Clearance And VAT Certificate For New Company. / Need clearance and forwarding company / Training on Importation Of Vehicles From The US, Germany And UAE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 6:38pm On May 05, 2018
I saw alot of ignorant comments on the thread about FedEx being the best international courier company.

https://www.nairaland.com/4488001/fedex-named-best-international-courier

I think we need to get intimated on importation and it's procedures.

I will be open to anyone who has any form of questions regarding importation clearance and it's procedures.

I am not and agent and not offering any services so no charges.

just your questions and answers on importation clearance I am also open to other answers where you feel I have deviated.

1 Like

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 1:00am On May 07, 2018
How do I put my address when shipping with FedEx please? I'm new to this.
Can you put me through?
Do FedEx charge you on phones purchased?
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 5:55am On May 07, 2018
bigt2:
How do I put my address when shipping with FedEx please? I'm new to this.
Can you put me through?
Do FedEx charge you on phones purchased?

Are you doing this online or going to a FedEx outlet? Anyways your shipper should provide your address. I mean how will it be delivered to you without your address?

What charges are you talking about shipping or duty? Well it depends on the term of trade agreed between you and the shipper. if you do not have any agreement with the shipper to be responsible for any charge, you will have to pay for shipping and duty also if your shipment is found dutiable.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 9:53am On May 07, 2018
viqSmallz:

Are you doing this online or going to a FedEx outlet? Anyways your shipper should provide your address. I mean how will it be delivered to you without your address?

What charges are you talking about shipping or duty? Well it depends on the term of trade agreed between you and the shipper. if you do not have any agreement with the shipper to be responsible for any charge, you will have to pay for shipping and duty also if your shipment is found dutiable.
Clothes, phones and sneakers are just what I want to ship (iPhones). Are they dutiable?
About the address, what I mean is this, I'm from Oyo town and I dont think FedEx delivers to the town. If I put my address as number 99, nairaland street, seun area, Oyo, how am I going to get my consignment? Moreso, I heard it's also cheaper to ship to a FedEx office for example than home delivery then we also have modes of shipping ẹ.g. Express shipping.
Thanks for your attentiveness, dedication, prompt response and anticipated support.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 7:53pm On May 07, 2018
bigt2:

Clothes, phones and sneakers are just what I want to ship (iPhones). Are they dutiable?
About the address, what I mean is this, I'm from Oyo town and I dont think FedEx delivers to the town. If I put my address as number 99, nairaland street, seun area, Oyo, how am I going to get my consignment? Moreso, I heard it's also cheaper to ship to a FedEx office for example than home delivery then we also have modes of shipping ẹ.g. Express shipping.
Thanks for your attentiveness, dedication, prompt response and anticipated support.

Apologies for the delayed response. work was tight for me today. Now, items are charged according to what they are. your case, clothes and sneakers attracts 20% duty and 5% VAT while the phone attracts 10% duty and VAT also. So from me to you your items are dutiable. Can you let me in on the declared value? Might be able to give you an estimated duty.

Regarding the address, FedEx will be able to deliver to your location if they cant they use third parties. about cutting cost. think about the cost of traveling down to Lagos to pick up your shipment from their warehouse or office. All in all delivery to location in Nigeria in its entirety are within the same price range.
And yes express shipping cost more.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2018
viqSmallz:

Apologies for the delayed response. work was tight for me today. Now, items are charged according to what they are. your case, clothes and sneakers attracts 20% duty and 5% VAT while the phone attracts 10% duty and VAT also. So from me to you your items are dutiable. Can you let me in on the declared value? Might be able to give you an estimated duty.

Regarding the address, FedEx will be able to deliver to your location if they cant they use third parties. about cutting cost. think about the cost of traveling down to Lagos to pick up your shipment from their warehouse or office. All in all delivery to location in Nigeria in its entirety are within the same price range.
And yes express shipping cost more.

I'm asking all these to know more about the process and I really commend your positive gesture and explanations.
The consignment was billed at a whooping 600 USD (express shipping though). However, it is worthy of note that some (not all) of the clothes are being used by my brother over there and the sneaker is new.
The shipping consists of shirts, trousers and a pair of Adidas snickers.
At the point of shipping, he said no box was able to accommodate the whole contents of the plastic box so he was charged that much to ship with the plastic box shocked

Attached is a picture of the box.

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 10:38pm On May 07, 2018
bigt2:

I'm asking all these to know more about the process and I really commend your positive gesture and explanations.
The consignment was billed at a whooping 600 USD (express shipping though). However, it is worthy of note that some (not all) of the clothes are being used by my brother over there and the sneaker is new.
The shipping consists of shirts, trousers and a pair of Adidas snickers.
At the point of shipping, he said no box was able to accommodate the whole contents of the plastic box so he was charged that much to ship with the plastic box shocked

Attached is a picture of the box.

Did you say USD600 for shipping alone? or it includes the price of the item.

You didn't mention anything about the phone.. Is the price also inclusive in the600usd
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by Redman44(m): 1:43am On May 08, 2018
@bigt2, please tell your brother to use another shipper like DHL. Fedex is too expensive for that plastic container I am looking at in the picture. DHL should be cheaper. $600 is too much for express shipping to Nigeria. I know what I am talking about. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 5:45am On May 08, 2018
Yes.. it is quite expensive so I am wondering. from sight that should not be more than 15kg

1 Like

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 10:37am On May 08, 2018
Redman44:
@bigt2, please tell your brother to use another shipper like DHL. Fedex is too expensive for that plastic container I am looking at in the picture. DHL should be cheaper. $600 is too much for express shipping to Nigeria. I know what I am talking about. Cheers.
Thanks. I will tell him to visit a DHL office. Maybe we'll know what's up from there cool
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by Redman44(m): 1:49pm On May 08, 2018
@bigt2, okay cool cool cool. I ship stuff to Nigeria from England and I ship via DHL and it takes 3 days to get to Nigeria. That is Express delivery. Please tell your brother to declare that the items you are sending are personal effects and not commercial products. You will get a lower price by saying you are sending personal effects. I ship up to 27 kg to Nigeria from the UK for about £150 ( DHL Express Delivery ). I ship heavier stuff than clothes for the price I have told you. Please, use DHL. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 2:22pm On May 08, 2018
viqSmallz:

Did you say USD600 for shipping alone? or it includes the price of the item.

You didn't mention anything about the phone.. Is the price also inclusive in the600usd
The phone isn't there at all.
The price of the items isn't there also.
The reason for shipping with the plastic box is because there's reportedly no FedEx box to accommodate all at once.
I laughed when I heard 600 also. grin grin
The phone isn't bought yet grin
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 2:26pm On May 08, 2018
Redman44:
@bigt2, okay cool cool cool. I ship stuff to Nigeria from England and I ship via DHL and it takes 3 days to get to Nigeria. That is Express delivery. Please tell your brother to declare that the items you are sending are personal effects and not commercial products. You will get a lower price by saying you are sending personal effects. I ship up to 27 kg to Nigeria from the UK for about £150 ( DHL Express Delivery ). I ship heavier stuff than clothes for the price I have told you. Please, use DHL. Cheers.
Thanks for the guidelines. I appreciate it.
Do I need to specify any postal address? E. G. Post office address?
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by Redman44(m): 2:42pm On May 08, 2018
@bigt2, you don't need to use a Post Office address for DHL shipments to you. The Post office will charge you money for a service you have already paid for. Use your home address and DHL will bring the Box to you. DHL or DHL Agents in your brother's area in the USA will place the Plastic box in a big Cardboard box and ship to Nigeria asap. Or your brother can empty the contents of the plastic container directly into the Cardboard Box at the DHL Agents office. There are many DHL Agents in cities in America or Europe. Use your home address and you will get your package directly. Tell your brother to declare an amount below $50 on the invoice or form that will be stuck on the box. And let him tell the DHL Agent that the content are Personal Effects to you or a Family Member. Cheers smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley.

1 Like

Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 2:50pm On May 08, 2018
bigt2:

The reason for shipping with the plastic box is because there's reportedly no FedEx box to accommodate all at once.

Try out DHL they will even give you a box to place your things..
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 2:54pm On May 08, 2018
Redman44:
@bigt2, you don't need to use a Post Office address for DHL shipments to you. The Post office will charge you money for a service you have already paid for. Use your home address and DHL will bring the Box to you. DHL or DHL Agents in your brother's area in the USA will place the Plastic box in a big Cardboard box and ship to Nigeria asap. Or your brother can empty the contents of the plastic container directly into the Cardboard Box at the DHL Agents office. There are many DHL Agents in cities in America or Europe. Use your home address and you will get your package directly. Tell your brother to declare an amount below $50 on the invoice or form that will be stuck on the box. And let him tell the DHL Agent that the content are Personal Effects to you or a Family Member. Cheers smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley.

�.. Your advise of DHL is a nice one. howver stating he should declare a low value has two implications. One u might evade duties. Two your shipment can be intercepted and revalued to a higher amount. Also Incase of theft refunds will be based on the invoice value.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by Redman44(m): 3:02pm On May 08, 2018
@vicSmallz, that is why I am saying the content of the package should be declared as Personal Effects smiley smiley smiley smiley

DHL hardly loses packages to theft. The shipment is tracked all the way from the USA to Nigeria. The sender can track the package from America to Nigeria on the DHL website. From what I saw in the plastic box, the value of the package should be declared below $50. No one should be giving free money to already Made and Rich Organizations nowadays. I value your point though. Cheers.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 7:17pm On May 08, 2018
Redman44:
@vicSmallz, that is why I am saying the content of the package should be declared as Personal Effects smiley smiley smiley smiley

DHL hardly loses packages to theft. The shipment is tracked all the way from the USA to Nigeria. The sender can track the package from America to Nigeria on the DHL website. From what I saw in the plastic box, the value of the package should be declared below $50. No one should be giving free money to already Made and Rich Organizations nowadays. I value your point though. Cheers.

Yea DHL does not lose properties. however to avoid customs claims of invoice value been undervalued.
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by viqSmallz(m): 8:31pm On May 15, 2018
bigt2:

did you still ship?
Re: Questions On Importation, Clearance And It's Procedures by bigt2(m): 10:07pm On May 15, 2018
viqSmallz:

did you still ship?
Not yet

(1) (Reply)

WINDOWS RDP VPS 4GB RAM 2CPU 256GB SSD 60days / Ebay Checkout Plus Shipping (optional) / Revealed - Hidden Secrets Of How Top Companies Make Huge Profits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.