Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,468 members, 7,770,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:01 AM

Going To Nigeria For The First Time? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Going To Nigeria For The First Time? (6193 Views)

Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates / What Is Happening In Nigeria? (For Nigerians At Home Only) / Thinking of Going Back to Nigeria For a Job Offer (after 10 years) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by lisa999: 6:49pm On May 20, 2010
help please,am going back to Nigeria for the first time in 8yrs,am happy but very afraid,l have promise my family several times to visit ,but l am very afraid to go to Nigeria for no just reason,l cant trust anybody and not even my family because the only thing that is important to them is money,my family and friends lives in Benin to them l represent EURO,l need advice please,l we be really happy if someone give me some tips.what are the dos and donts.THANKS
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Newest: 6:54pm On May 20, 2010
Since u said u dont trust them, u probably knows them than we do, so i'll rather advice you dont go staright home, find a friend that resides at Lagos or if u could afford the hotel bills till u plan to go back to wherever u come from, just pay them a normal visit after you'v settled down at Lag, dont flash alot, dont give them exact date of anyfin, like when u'll be coming, like where u staying try and be smart yourself

Life is hard oo
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by oyewolejos(m): 7:50pm On May 20, 2010
lisa999:

help please,am going back to Nigeria for the first time in 8yrs,am happy but very afraid,l have promise my family several times to visit ,[b]but l am very afraid to go to Nigeria for no just reason,l cant trust anybody and not even my family [/b]because the only thing that is important to them is money,my family and friends lives in Benin to them l represent EURO,l need advice please,l we be really happy if someone give me some tips.what are the dos and donts.THANKS

Since u don't feel save going home after 8 years why come then?Just stay back and relax till u feel save to visit,U don't have to please anybody cos your security is paramount to u. Tell your family that u will visit next time. Benin is not even a good place to visit at this time of the year. From bad roads to Kidnapping to Armed robbery.

1 Like

Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by omega25red(m): 7:51pm On May 20, 2010
Newest:

Since u said u dont trust them, u probably knows them than we do, so i'll rather advice you dont go staright home, find a friend that resides at Lagos or if u could afford the hotel bills till u plan to go back to wherever u come from, just pay them a normal visit after you'v settled down at Lag, dont flash alot, dont give them exact date of anyfin, like when u'll be coming, like where u staying try and be smart yourself

Life is hard oo
I dont quite agree with this reply but do what you have to do to be safe as in no flashing too much just like ^^ said but these are your family you have to open up to them or else you will be looked upon in a different light. Anyway go home have fun flash if you want to party if you want to yes some people can't stand seeing others happy but that is their palva and what ever happens happens. Just make sure your travel documents are in a safe place like a saftey deposit box in the towns biggest bank which you could rent for the duration of your stay and dont share exact dates. Let me tell you one more thing my mother lives here in the u.s and she is all about how much money you can give her which means people home and people abroad are no different so go home and enjoy yourself.

p.s take lots of pics to show us wink
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Newest: 8:37pm On May 20, 2010
omega25red:

I dont quite agree with this reply but do what you have to do to be safe as in no flashing too much just like ^^ said but these are your family you have to open up to them or else you will be looked upon in a different light. Anyway go home have fun flash if you want to party if you want to yes some people can't stand seeing others happy but that is their palva and what ever happens happens. Just make sure your travel documents are in a safe place like a saftey deposit box in the towns biggest bank which you could rent for the duration of your stay and dont share exact dates. Let me tell you one more thing my mother lives here in the u.s and she is all about how much money you can give her which means people home and people abroad are no different so go home and enjoy yourself.

p.s take lots of pics to show us wink

You dont agree wif me, but we both a same point, apart from the aspect of Lagos stay that i said
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by martinosi: 1:13pm On May 21, 2010
lisa999:

help please,am going back to Nigeria for the first time in 8yrs,am happy but very afraid,l have promise my family several times to visit ,but l am very afraid to go to Nigeria for no just reason,l cant trust anybody and not even my family because the only thing that is important to them is money,my family and friends lives in Benin to them l represent EURO,l need advice please,l we be really happy if someone give me some tips.what are the dos and donts.THANKS

U head no correct!!! what about us that
was not born in nigeria that visit the country often?

I cant stand all these Nigerians that start this kind of Post!!!

You think you are different now becuase you have lived abroad for 8 years

NAwaooo!! i tire for posters like this,

When i travelled to Nigeria early last year 2009, there was a Naija
girl coming from Norway with her boy-friend acting all fake, talking like as if she has never been in Nigeria before, fretting about her safety and
how she should conduct herself around family and friends with her
boy-friend (Norwegian guy) . The nigerian mums who live in the USA
on the plan were trying to calm her down, but she kept on making a fuss
and throwing tuntrums!!! and i was sitting next to her on the
flight from Amsterdam to Lagos!!! she was a pain in der as***.

I had to tell her to calm down that you aiight the only one coming
back to nigeria after so many years!

My advise to the poster is be yourself, dont fake an accent and you will be
fine, Just be yourself,

Most of my friends who i meet in Nigeria dont even know that i now live abroad. Make people to feel comfortable around you by being yourself,

You will be fine, after a couple of minutes at Lagos or Abuja International Airpot
the Naija Sense will kick in Lol!!!

1 Like

Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by bigfather(m): 1:43pm On May 21, 2010
I don't see anything to be afraid of. If you are complaining of being afraid,then i wonder what kinda story you must have told your foreign friends And besides you are just coming home after jst 8yrs, my cousin came home from the STATES after 20yrs and i was mavelled at the way this guy could still recognise families and friends around. And was even srolling around the streets unaccompanied,jst that we were more cautious of the fact that he is a JJC. But in your own case,i think it has to do with family issues.
Best of luck.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by omega25red(m): 2:58pm On May 21, 2010
Newest:

You dont agree wif me, but we both a same point, apart from the aspect of Lagos stay that i said
i guess i wasn't clear. What i didn't agree with was staying at a hotel or with a friend when you went home to visit your family. That would be considered a serious insult. That is what i didn't agree with. smiley
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Newest: 7:10pm On May 21, 2010
If i might ask you, do you know the extent the poster meant by he doesn't trust them? (His Family), do u know maybe its even with his dear life?,maybe not even wif resources only
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by OmoAlata(f): 10:55pm On May 31, 2010
I think everyone is 'afraid' to some degree the first time. Once you get this journey out of the way, you'll be wondering what held you back and you'll start visiting frequently.

My sister didn't go back until after 15 years. She now goes yearly smiley
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Nobody: 3:20am On Jun 01, 2010
When i travelled to Nigeria early last year 2009, there was a Naija
girl coming from Norway with her boy-friend acting all fake, talking like as if she has never been in Nigeria before, fretting about her safety and
how she should conduct herself around family and friends with her
boy-friend (Norwegian guy) . The nigerian mums who live in the USA
on the plan were trying to calm her down, but she kept on making a fuss
and throwing tuntrums!!! and i was sitting next to her on the
flight from Amsterdam to Lagos!!! she was a pain in der as***.

maybe she's a nler.

or she was nervous because of her boyfriend- probably wondering if he'd be kidnapped or something.

or maybe she was worried her family and friends would act so bush and razz around the guy grin Like country bumpkins cheesy Offer him chewing stick and the like. Feed him hot spicy peppery sauce and watch the poor dude hop around gasping for water.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by OmoAlata(f): 7:33am On Jun 01, 2010
LOL but what's an nler
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 01, 2010
nler= nairalander
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by OmoAlata(f): 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2010
grin LOL Thanks.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by martinosi: 11:26am On Jun 02, 2010
tpia.:

maybe she's a nler.

or she was nervous because of her boyfriend- probably wondering if he'd be kidnapped or something.

or maybe she was worried her family and friends would act so bush and razz around the guy grin Like country bumpkins cheesy Offer him chewing stick and the like. Feed him hot spicy peppery sauce and watch the poor dude hop around gasping for water.

whatever she was she was a pain in the behind,
she was constantly fussing and then arguing with the guy
(So called Boyfriend) then crying saying that the guy did not
love her, then getting petting from the Elderly nigerian women
on the plane. I could not believe that someone could throw such
a tantrum!!! and i had to endure this for 5 and half hours!!!
from 10.am in the morning to 5pm in the evening on that plane.
It got soo bad around 3pm on the flight that the flight attendants
had to come and clam her down!, i can never forget that flight.

It has be ingrained into my memory. It comes second to the flight
i made to Lagos in 2000 when the Scottish oil expatrate was soo
drunk next to me that he poured his drink all over my new timberlands!!!
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by pendusky(m): 11:27am On Jun 02, 2010
A true Nigerian can never be afraid of his homeland,  embarassed If you're  nice to your people at home then there is nothing to be afraid of because you'll be protected, then if you're afraid of them because of money or kidnapping issue then they'll consider you to be a stingy person if at all you're the bread winner of your house. I will advice you not to worry about anything, send them money and gift and expect a nice welcome ceremony,  WELCOME TO NIGERIA/NL,  grin
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by martinosi: 11:44am On Jun 02, 2010
bk/babe97:

Lol. hahahahaha. Or maybe she was just scared her cousins (Eziachi, MENTAL Gong (TOCHI), Andre uweh, Mekusxxshitty, and Wily+Wily) would show up, start dropping "Big Ibo English", and start feeding the poor white dude Biafran propaganda!lol

Hmmm seems like you been hurt by a Nigerian ROLMAO!!!
Take it easy girl, and move on with your life, Offense and bitterness
will only drown you in more sorrow!!!,

By the way which Ibo, Yuroba or other Nigerian guy Dumped/Duped or used you
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by axeman85(m): 11:46am On Jun 02, 2010
@poster

absolute nonsense, because you have ben out of the country for 8yrs you are afradi . of what ? mosquiot abi lack of pwer or traffic or your family members ? simple dont tell anyone exact time or date you are coming , dont stay with them, and dont flash too much. i was out of naija for 5yrs and went back rest assured and very happy, nothing to worry or be afraid about. afterall i was born and grew up there.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by martinosi: 11:51am On Jun 02, 2010
axeman85:

@poster

absolute nonsense, because you have ben out of the country for 8yrs you are afradi . of what ? mosquiot abi lack of pwer or traffic or your family members ?  simple dont tell anyone exact time or date you are coming , dont stay with them, and dont flash too much. i was out of naija for 5yrs and went back rest assured and very happy, nothing to worry or be afraid about. afterall i was born and grew up there.

Absolutley right, Abi they write "I am coming from abroad" on somebodies forhead!!!

You will be fine,
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by sizzlers(m): 11:56am On Jun 02, 2010
@ POSTER, at least u ve been there so is not a big deal, i can assure you the moment u land all those memories will come back u begin to feel the naija as though is just yesterday that u left. enjoy ur stay in 9ja like u always do b4 u traveled.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by shadrach77: 12:34pm On Jun 02, 2010
[size=15pt]@ poster - i can understand how you feel - i felt the same way myself when i went home - insecurity of lives, robberies, killings etc - just fast and pray and keep to yourself most times and you'll be fine - goodluck![/size]
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by unclebros: 1:18pm On Jun 02, 2010
I get so angry each time someone living outside Naija is complaining about fears of coming home. If you are afraid of coming to see your family and friends then one must be afraid of you too! I hate it when people think as if everyone in naija is a thief. Listen to yourself poster 'afraid of coming to see your own people. are the oyinbos you live with your people?"

My reason is because you were once like them before you traveled out. So we must suspect you too

For God sakes, I have two siblings living in Europe for more than 10yrs now and they come home frequently, my elder brother is building houses for the two of them while i manage their shares portfolio and other investments including mine as well.

We all grew up together and properly brought up (our parents were not rich but we thank God for where we are today)

if your family are not developing themselves and you do not trust them, then its your family wahala , pls stop boring us with stories like this!

shiooooor, (a long hiss)
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by suggyspic: 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2010
maybe u have to be careful not to miss your way. The cocanut tree you use in recognising your house may have been removed. na today people like u dey come back. quess what u may be surprise your people fit no get time for you. afraid ke afraid ni.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by styles2009: 2:21pm On Jun 02, 2010
@ Poster

If you are going to show off that you are from Europe,then you would serve as an emergency ATM for friends and Family

Before i traveled out of Nigeria, i had an uncle in Germany,who worked in UPS as a delivery guy and they wear this brown knickers in Summer, my uncle had like 3,every time he goes to Naija and he wears it alot to blend with us.

You can imagine, he travels to Nigeria and from the airport he want to take the wheels and drive himself,  grin As for custom officers are the airport he has Naira bills from Germany to give them,so they always avoid him cos they no , nothing would make him drop, lol

He never get any problem around him cos he's not ready to solve any emergency cash problem as he would say "What if i was not around??"  that's a right approach cos many want to use that opportunity to just extort money.

Lastly, Lisa just be yourself and don't be flashy, you would be surprised,how people won't even notice you in Lagos and as for Benin, i hear even many family members would want you to show,you are from Europe,that's where all problem start and its pure illiteracy.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by aikuda(m): 2:28pm On Jun 02, 2010
I agree with all those who understands the posters predicament and provide useful advice. For all others who think the fear of going home after 8yrs is not justified, you are either in denial or you are completely ignorant of the propaganda of fear about Nigeria that is going on abroad. Almost everyone is afraid of Nigerians starting from Benin republic, ghana, to USA. You hear of kidnapping everyday or people being killed when they come home.

This is what I will tell the poster. Nigeria is your home, you can never run away forever. What if you don't have a choice, wont you go home? Yes there are bad things happening in Nigeria, but that is the case everywhere. Nigeria, and partucularly Benin is a very hospitable place. I don't know your relationship with your family, so I cant comment on that. As somene has said be sensible and be yourself.

I went home from canada from the first time after 6yrs last year, I was going everywhere by myself. When I discovered that people could tell the difference in accent, I satrted communicating in pidgin english even when I go to banks. I was fine and planning to go again this year.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by franko2: 3:51pm On Jun 02, 2010
I was in the same situation with you not long ago.

I went, i saw, i conquered (my fear)!!!

And yes, they all saw me as that guy that has just returned from where they harvest money from trees on the street.  It took a bit of thick skin, saying NO to ALMOST all of them, and being given a bad name - stingy bast**d, poser, e no get money, bla bla bla. But, now i have been back to Naija three times since that time 18 months ago.  Although, now they still see me as a JJD, but they no longer take me (or think am) a SOFT TOUCH.

I kept on turning them back after the lucky few who penetrated me the first week of arrival. Try as much as i wanted that first week, each story of bad or hard times kept on getting them what they wanted - including money for credit (usually women!),  food for children etc etc.

My bro, just ignore them.  Nowadays, i tell them they should make sure their wives use CONTRACEPTIVES.  It doesnt get me any scores on the popularity stakes but, at least my money dey remain 4 my pocket!!

Good luck!!
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by martinosi: 4:01pm On Jun 02, 2010
bk/babe97:

Sure! You had a "Canadian accent" alright, and all those poor Africans could quickly tell once u opened your mouth cus after six yrs u lost all traces of speaking english with your Nigerian accent!lol. Is this like that "Ibo New York accent" that most of the Ibo men I know got even after living here for 30+ yrs? hahahahaha. Somehow, they the only ones that think they sound like native born Brooklynites!!! They always say the same ish "Ah, I had to stop speaking proper english cus the natives back home couldnt understand me when I spoke"!!! Dude, even we in New York dont understand u when u talk. Stop trying to fake the funk!

O.K so you live in New York and you met a nigerian guy and you
fell for him and then you could not resist he smooth Nna-American accent and his Loving was too good (He was serving that good african loving to your South American Body like no other man can!!!) and then something went wrong,

hmmmm please tell us more, we are here to help you get over
the pain,
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2010
Another aniamlic post, wjo cares if u repsnt Dollars or pounds, or cares if u go to Nig or not, I thought they are ur family why talking about them here good or bad. Go and seat in dumstar.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by wazobiang: 4:13pm On Jun 02, 2010
there's this chic from the uk last december that came for the xmas. they kidnapped her demanding for unreasonable ransom. enjoyed her very well. when she was eventually rescued, she was 3 months pregnant.

if you come back. stay in the house all the time. neighbours shouldn't know you are around. when they see you, tell them you have come to stay. that you want to look for work here. "abeg is zenith bank employing?"

stay briefly and go. guys used to stay in hotels. secured ones. it might not suit you, it can actually be dangerous for u.

don't look flashy. hang out sparingly if at all. in fact do your best to keep low profile else when they kidnap u, you'll be wondering how come, of all the chics in benin, na u dem see.

but u fit come stay long, go, nothing go happen sef. naija na like dat. it depends. on what i don't know. i bid u welcome in advance.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2010
there's this chic from the uk last december that came for the xmas. they kidnapped her demanding for unreasonable ransom. enjoyed her very well. when she was eventually rescued, she was 3 months pregnant

are you serious?

that sounds like a movie script or hadley chase novel.

though it's possible i guess.
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by MsTom(f): 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2010
There is nothing to be scared of. Nigeria is good. After getting out of the airport, you would feel so much at home. My advice. Enjoy yorself. Have fun. Make good use of the time you are spending at home. People at home are ready to be good guest(believe me). Do not be too flamboyant. Do not spend unnecessarily. No need to announce yourself or be flexing euros around anyone ( this way, you dont attract unnecesary attention). Be yourself. Be nice. Forget europe while in nigeria and enjoy nigeria as it is. Do not complain, afterall, you know they have traffic, bad roads and no electricity. Why complain again? With these in mind and in action, you would mos def not be a pain in the a** to anyone.

I went to Nigeria after such a long time sometime last year. Now, I am so looking forward to make it an annual trip
Re: Going To Nigeria For The First Time? by snowdrops(m): 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2010
@ poster

please disregard all the negative comments. know that there are a lot of half brains here that are ready to criticize people for no just reasons.

you said you are from Benin. which area are you intending to travel to? i was in Benin twice last yr and once this yr.

1. only tell close family when exactly you are coming home.
2. chill out in Lagos first before going to Benin
3. let your movement be UNPREDICTABLE. keep changing hotels, and alternate with staying at home. let no one know where you are at any given time
4. don't were fancy jewelry or drive expensive cars. just dress simply to suit the hot weather
5. never take okada to your home address if you have to use one.
6. God forbid you are being followed run to the nearest police station

Nigeria is a jungle. People living there especially in trouble areas have become so comfortable with hard life that they chew you raw with envy and indignation when you raise you concerns. Good luck. with the right precautions there is a 99% chance of staying safe

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

where to / I Want To Change My Nationality / My Regretful Journey To Illorin (kwara)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.