Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. (1838 Views)

Oriwu Model College Ikorodu Emerges Best Public School In Nigeria / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by JohnAbruzzi: 3:08pm On May 06, 2018
This thread highlights some of the best Public Universities in Nigeria to enroll for a masters degree program. The Conclusions from this thread are largely a product of experiences and testimonies of students who have passed through these universities.Therefore it is safe to say that this rankings are not backed by any empirical evidence, However, it serves as an insightful guide to help would be applicants in making an informed choice of a public university to enroll for a masters degree program in Nigeria.

The following parameters where taken into utmost consideration

1. PG Calendar stability
2. Availability of Supervisors
3. Mean Speed of Completion of Thesis/Dissertation
4. Official Duration of Masters program
5. Percentage of Students graduating within the official stipulated period of study

1.University of Lagos(Unilag): The Prestigious Unilag is arguably the best public University in Nigeria to pursue a Masters degree in terms of Speed, with an official duration of 18months, Unilag provides speed, a stable and a strict academic calendar(unless altered by an ASUU strike) and a Plethora of erudite and distinguished Academicians across all its faculties and departments such that there are no shortages of professors and Doctors to supervise students. An average of 8 out of 10 students(80%) will complete their studies within the official stipulated duration barring any unforeseen circumstances.

2.University of Ilorin(Unilorin) Closely following Unilag, is the University of Ilorin. With no burden of ASUU Strikes, Unilorin towers far an above 99.9% of other public universities as the destination of choice for most masters applicants. Getting a Masters admission into Unilorin will require you to write a very competitive entrance exams, for a first timer, you would be forgiven if you mistake the crowd being witnessed on such days as Jambites who have come to sit for POST UTME examination.Unilorin also boasts of an unperturbed Academic calender that is resistant to the almighty ASUU strike. Also with an official duaration of between 18-24 months Unilorin offers speed and stability. Barring any unforeseen circumstances you will graduate at your eighteenth month from the "better by far University".

3.University of Ibadan(U.I)
: Their Slogan "the first and still the best". Nigeria's Premier University makes the no. 3 spot on our list. U.I is unarguably the best and most prestigious university in Nigeria. The only university from Nigeria ranked in the 2018 Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings of the top 1000 universities in the world. Churning out more world class researches than any other university in the Land, U.I. has more legions of academic veterans than any university in Nigeria, a University of many firsts. If you are looking for a reliable and prestigious public University to complete your masters program within the best time possible U.I. should be top on your scale of preference. In terms of quality and quantity of research work carried out in Nigerian public Universities, No University comes close to U.I. If you work hard enough, you are guaranteed to finish your masters program between 18 to 24months. The admission process could however be a tedious one as applicants would be required to take two entrance tests, the first is a general Use of English test and the other a departmental based exams.

4.University of Jos (U.J): The Tin city university popularly known as U.J is another viable option for a speedy completion of a masters program .With an average completion period of between 18-24months, U.J offers speed across many of the disciplines on offer. The little dent on UJ's reputation however is the possibility of the school to be shut down whenever there is an uprising giving that Jos itself is a volatile town susceptible to religious riots. Notwithstanding U.J still offers one of the best run masters program in Northern. Nigeria.

5.Nigerian Defense Academy(N.D.A): Nigeria's Military university is well known for training and development of military officers both physically and intellectually however very few folks are even aware that the NDA has on offer an opportunity for civilians to run Masters degree programs in a wide range of disciplines. NDA has a stable calendar which is Immune to strikes. Barring any drastic circumstance, a student will complete his Masters in NDA in 24months.

Notable Mentions
*MAUTECH (formerly known as Federal University of Tech Yola)
*University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
*National Open university of Nigeria (NOUN)
*Federal university of Technology Minna (FUTMINNA)

Source: http://sayntsplace.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1548&p=2553#p2553

1 Like

Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by VoltageDivida(m): 3:11pm On May 06, 2018
Nice i
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:16am On May 07, 2018
U didn't add noise makers? OAU people will soon call for ur head grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by JohnAbruzzi: 9:09am On May 07, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
U didn't add noise makers? OAU people will soon call for ur head grin grin
The testimonies from the likes of OAU and ABU are shocking. They both have no business being on this list
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:56am On May 07, 2018
grin cheesy
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Thermodynamics(m): 11:55am On May 07, 2018
Stop that nonsense, there are no universities in Nigeria, what we call university here is nothing but a big joke.
Travel abroad if you really want to go to school, but if you don't have the funds, then start a business. Don't spend 5years of your life in one dirty place with old and outdated syllabus and tons of hungry old fools called lecturers threatening and forcefully demanding money or sex from you.

OAU, UNILAG, UNIBEN, IMSU, FUTO, FUTA, DELSU.

See their name self, NONSENSE.
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by promisedeco(m): 2:17pm On May 07, 2018
Thermodynamics:
Stop that nonsense, there are no universities in Nigeria, what we call university here is nothing but a big joke.
Travel abroad if you really want to go to school, but if you don't have the funds, then start a business. Don't spend 5years of your life in one dirty place with old and outdated syllabus and tons of hungry old fools called lecturers threatening and forcefully demanding money or sex from you.

either your Jamb score was too low to get admitted or you are a frustrated drop out. pick one
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by JohnAbruzzi: 2:33pm On May 07, 2018
Thermodynamics:

If you don't find the thread useful please kindly ignore, If I had read a thread like this before my Masters, I probably wouldn't have done it in a Certain first General university that almost wrecked me.
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Thermodynamics(m): 2:38pm On May 07, 2018
promisedeco:

either your Jamb score was too low to get admitted or you are a frustrated drop out. pick one

I'm in my final year bro.
Suck it.
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by JohnAbruzzi: 2:50pm On May 07, 2018
Thermodynamics:

I'm in my final year bro.
Suck it.
No need for all these bickering man. Wish you all the best in your Final year
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by damtan(m): 3:16pm On May 07, 2018
Thermodynamics:

How many people can be sponsor abroad. Y'all will just come here and rant nonsense

1 Like

Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Thermodynamics(m): 3:31pm On May 07, 2018
damtan:
How many people can be sponsor abroad. Y'all will just come here and rant nonsense

Read my post properly before you open your mouth.
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by JohnAbruzzi: 8:12am On May 09, 2018
Thermodynamics:

Read my post properly before you open your mouth.
He misunderstood your perspective.. it's ok man

1 Like

Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Dface2: 9:33am On May 09, 2018
Download Research Project Topics & Materials Here
@
www.projectreserve.com

Preparing to write your Final Year Project/Thesis and in need of the best project topics and materials at various levels (i.e Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Ph.D)?
Get it done with NO stress today.
Goto: www.projectreserve.com for downloads!
-----------------------------------------------

Are you also working on a FRESH Project Topic approved to you by your supervisor?
Or are you working on a project topic which is not listed or related to the topics we have on our site?
If "YES", then you have nothing to worry about as we are capable of developing write-up on a "NEW" research topic in various field of study.
Kindly click here: www.projectreserve.com/p/hire-writer.html and follow the procedure to get started right away.

Contact our help desk today: 08074521866, 08066484965.
Our Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/projectreserve

NOTE: All research projects, Research Term Papers and Essays on our site are well researched, supervised and approved by lecturers who are intellectuals in their various fields of study.
Re: The Best Public Universities To Pursue A Masters Degree In Nigeria. by Thermodynamics(m): 10:59am On May 09, 2018
JohnAbruzzi:
No need for all these bickering man. Wish you all the best in your Final year

Tnks prison break man. wink

(1) (Reply)

Political Participation :benefits Of Political Participation / List Of Free Project Topics, Ideas, Final Year Research Project Topics / WAEC Extends 2019 GCE Registration 2019 (first Series)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.