Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42094 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 6:34am On May 04, 2020
Since growing up I have always been accustomed to the idea of double up my degree.
Not like it's a bad thing but what purpose does it serve to run a Masters or PhD program in the long run.

My Dad is always telling me to do one program here and there. It gets tiring honestly as I don't consider myself an academic per se and I would only put in effort when I see something is absolutely necessary.

A cousin of mine once went to the UK for her masters, previously working at a brewery. She told me that going for this program would guarantee her an upgrade in department level

Has anyone here gotten any similar experiences, share your story or those you know of. Were you ever selected for a job based on that or a promotion?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Goke101(m): 6:37am On May 04, 2020
Yes but In Nigeria you will have to wait for almost three years to see a job

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by FreshBoss007: 6:49am On May 04, 2020
Nope

You are better off having a B.Sc in a professional course than a PhD in a useless course like botany

Atleast with a professional course you can still practice what you learnt prior to a dream job

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by kalufelix(m): 7:51am On May 04, 2020
Desperation can make you to take a 40k salary job and remain underemployed.. However if your village people already set up a house committee on your affairs you can still become a pilot... Danfo/keke remember!... Not Boeing..

122 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2020
kalufelix:
Desperation can make you to take a 40k salary job and remain underemployed.. However if your village people already set up a house committee on your affairs you can still become a pilot... Danfo/keke remember!... Not Boeing..

Lol...

God dey sha...Can't wait to hear a time when all of this will be worked out...when what you work for you reap.

7 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:41pm On May 04, 2020
Goke101:
Yes but In Nigeria you will have to wait for almost three years to see a job

Wow...An Unfair System ...it's where we find ourselve in

5 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:42pm On May 04, 2020
FreshBoss007:
Nope
very disappointing...
the hustle is real...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 1:55pm On May 04, 2020
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.

164 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 12:19am On May 05, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.

Unfair System...

Was PhD of any benefit? ...

27 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 12:32am On May 05, 2020
Chuky7:

Unfair System...

Was PhD of any benefit? ...
I'm still on it. I'm seriously searching for a job at the moment

78 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:25pm On May 05, 2020
ijaw1stson:
I'm still on it. I'm seriously searching for a job at the moment

Okay...wish you luck

147 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 2:01pm On May 05, 2020
Please go for your M.SC (not professional masters) if you have the means. Most multinationals and banks recently (I know of Ecobank) now includes M.SC. as requirements for even Trainee positions.
It equally prepares you for opportunities in Academia and international NGOs.
Most importantly, don't go for Masters degree for the purpose of getting a job only but do it with the best of your abilities and learn new skills and ideas in your field.
If you can come up with a ground-breaking research in your field, that alone can take you places.
Yes, in Nigeria you can succeed without connections if you know what you are doing.

260 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Saintinoo(m): 2:08pm On May 05, 2020
ijaw1stson:
You mean you have 1 bsc 2 msc and a Phd in view?
You try oooo.

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 6:07pm On May 05, 2020
Chuky7:

Okay...wish you luck
thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 6:08pm On May 05, 2020
Saintinoo:

You mean you have 1 bsc 2 msc and a Phd in view?
You try oooo.
baba na God o. E no easy

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 10:50pm On May 05, 2020
Polchiz:
Please go for your M.SC (not professional masters) if you have the means. [b]Most multinationals and banks recently (I know of Ecobank) now includes M.SC. as requirements for even Trainee positions.
[\b]
It equally prepares you for opportunities in Academia and international NGOs.
Most importantly, don't go for Masters degree for the purpose of getting a job only but do it with the best of your abilities and learn new skills and ideas in your field.
If you can come up with a ground-breaking research in your field, that alone can take you places.
Yes, in Nigeria you can succeed without connections if you know what you are doing.

okay...I do see it written a lot as requirement. guess there's a use after all

Thank you...I will try to learn something along the way

7 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by loadedvibes: 10:59am On May 06, 2020
For you to they ask this question there is no hope o

3 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Slawormir: 10:59am On May 06, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Hell no

12 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by newday039: 10:59am On May 06, 2020
kalufelix:
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by uchman46(m): 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Nope
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by saponda249: 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Good day Fellow Nairalanders,

During the Lockdown, I earned a total of N19,000 in the month on April.

Yes, It's not much but its something during this trying times of Covid 19 Pandemic.

I was offered 10% daily on my investment and a whooping 20% on referrals.

want to know more about ??

After you register, Join the Telegram for better info

Check my signature Below for Link

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Dee60: 11:00am On May 06, 2020
NO.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DanHaske: 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Success is never guaranteed.
However, if you have a job already, a Masters degree can help elevate you.

17 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ManOfSteel2(m): 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Maybe you should ask some masters holders working 7am-4pm earning 20k in private schools.....

ManOfSteel learnt in the hard way that formal education alone does not guarantee financial freedom....

Now he has over 5 hummer buses on hire purchase serving as his side hustle asides other businesses.....

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by PussyKing(m): 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Y
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by GeneralPula: 11:00am On May 06, 2020
sad

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Yes. If someone like mi must go for masters, then I will sponsor myself ooo Cox parents can't... But mehn, I need to make money first n foremost.

Any way to make money, guys?

Bored.. Anyone will Python programming video tutorial within lagos..

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by gbebodye(f): 11:00am On May 06, 2020
lol
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by nastyesco(m): 11:00am On May 06, 2020
Front page again...clears throat... I am yet to have a Masters degree so I can’t say, what I can say is never give up striving, learn skills which will distinct you. Also, that skill you are frowning at might be what will distinct you during the recruitment process

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ayebaeapretai(f): 11:01am On May 06, 2020
Well i have two masters and these days i dont understand why i went for them.

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by HiFreda(f): 11:01am On May 06, 2020
No.
You can have masters degrees, but job experience trumps many certificates.
What's your area of specialization?
Work small jobs that are related to your field. 6 months, 10 months, 18 months work experience and do the masters degree on the side.
By the time you are done with the masters, you should have like 2 years combined experience.

66 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

ICAN Exam Docket: How Can I Print It? / JAMB: Between The Conservative North & The Chest-Beating South - Reno Omokri / Oauife Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.