Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,479 members, 7,830,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

"I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist (1380 Views)

My Brothers Wife Is Cheating, Do I Tell Him Or Mind My Business / Twin Sisters Impregnated By Their Mother's Fiancé In Nasarawa, Welcome Babies / How A Pant Taught Me How To Always Mind My Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by CastedAyo: 3:17pm On May 07, 2018
A Nigerian man has said he wouldn't mind his kids bearing their mother's surname and choosing her place of origin as theirs.

Chukwuebuka Nnaemeka Chukwuemeka, who identifies as feminist, said this decision isn't about feminism, even though many people may think it is. He explained that he has always preferred to identify as an indigene of his mother's hometown, for reasons which he stated in his post. He also added that as a banker, he mentioned his mother's hometown and not his father's and it worked well for him.

He said his wife will be free to retain her surname after marriage, and also to give their children her name and even make her hometown theirs. He went on to reveal that he is bearing his grandfather's name, not his father's and he doesn't mind whose surname his children bear or which town they choose to identify with.

Chukwuebuka, an Indigene of Anambra state, is an author and a language editor at Oxford University Press. He lives in Hamburg, Germany.

He wrote on Facebook;
"When I told a friend that I wouldn’t mind my kids bearing their mother’s surname and nativity, he thought it was one of my numerous jokes. But I was serious.

As I tried to give him my reasons for having such inclination, he thought it was one of my feminist sermons. But it wasn’t about feminism.

Most of my ideas about fairness and freedom stem from my personal idiosyncracies. I am easily given to the advancement of free-thinking and liberty, one that does not infringe on another man’s rights and peace. Perhaps this is the reason I easily speak up for feminism, homosexuals and irreligious folks.

Yes, my wife would be free to bear her surname, register my kids’ names with her surname and even make her native town that of my kids’. This is not about feminism. (If feminism preaches such cause, then it is by accident that our thoughts align.) Rather, this is about me, who I am, the way I see life—a NO Big deal.

For instance, I have always preferred to identify ?k?z? (corrupted as Awkuzu), my mum’s town, as my native town to whoever that asks. This was not to push a feminist cause, but to avoid unnecessary cynical questions I get from some people when I tell them I am from ?m?eri (popularly corrupted as ?m?leri) because of the town’s history of war and violence with some of her neighbours, especially Ag?leri and ?m??ba Anam.

As a banker, I mentioned ?k?z? instead of ?m?eri as my home town. And it worked for me, until Dad challenged me to rise to the task of clearing to the world the hidden virtues of his townsmen and be the voice to correct those narratives I do not want to be associated with. I agreed with him. And I am happy he was able to understand that I could decide to change my nativity to that of my maternal home based on my personal circumstances.

Culturalists may argue for order. But in an advanced world, these things work perfectly with digitalized administrative documentations. When my kids become adults, they should be able to denounce ?m?eri and identify Ak?kwa or Ihiala or Mbaise or wherever their mother hails from as their native town. The district commissioners will file their registration. And that’s it. In fact, as long as one is an Igbo and could prove it through their birth certificate, this shouldn’t be a big deal in an ideal Igbo nation.

I do not think it is by having my kids bear my name that will make my name live forever. In fact, I don’t intend to change my surname from Chukwuemeka (my grandfather) to Nnaemeka (my father). Yet, who knows Chukwuemeka!

If my kids decide to bear Chukwuebuka as their surname, that’s their business, I won’t stop them. I only hope that by the time they start reading and writing, my book would have been ready, so that they’d read about their father’s ideas, and realise that their individual choice is more important than whatever culture or religion prescribes."

Culled from; https://www.torimill.com/2018/05/i-wouldnt-mind-my-kids-bearing-their-mothers-surname-and-nativity-male-feminist-says.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Dominique
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by iamJ(m): 3:20pm On May 07, 2018
ode, so that is feminism? smh, we too mumu, just respect ur woman, listen to her and take her advice when she is correct, that is feminism not all these foolishness biko

i go soon die leave una self, useless people
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Pierohandsome: 3:26pm On May 07, 2018
Who is this mumu that wants to trend at all cost.

U mean people are stil taking codein and tramadol in uk?

bros, u wel so

Jst finish quick and come out, me and my guys have something to tell u

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Evablizin(f): 3:30pm On May 07, 2018
Stupidity get levels sha.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by IamD18: 3:35pm On May 07, 2018
The owner of that facebook account is a lady and one of these Nland feminist wanna-be who decided to support feminism disguising as a man.

SHE thinks we won't find out.

Just watch, she'll soon come here to support this statement.

Formation 4-4-2, position and wait as she comes to this thread to comment and support his idea.

3 Likes

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Abjay97(m): 3:35pm On May 07, 2018
An Igbo man? I am shocked..
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Amarabae(f): 3:43pm On May 07, 2018
Anybody can bear any surname they like .
There are people that are not bearing their fathers surname.
But all the same, I don't think that this is what feminism is all about
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:43pm On May 07, 2018
This is a good husband material.
What is his zodiac sign?
Men like these are obviously not chauvinistic and possessive or egoistic.
The man doesn't like patriarchy,Queen Elizabeth's children answer the royal family name (Windsor).Even prince Philip took his mother's surname(mountbatten,from his maternal grand parents)

1 Like

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by MichaelBukamzy(m): 3:45pm On May 07, 2018
F
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by makydebbie(f): 3:46pm On May 07, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
What is his zodiac sign?
Lol, because of a statement he's already a good husband material. That's a myopic statement.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by makydebbie(f): 3:47pm On May 07, 2018
iamJ:
ode, so that is feminism? smh, we too mumu, just respect ur woman, listen to her and take her advice when she is correct, that is feminism not all these foolishness biko

Why you wan die?
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:52pm On May 07, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, because of a statement he's already a good husband material.
wetin I go do?I admire men who are unconventional in their views.

1 Like

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by makydebbie(f): 3:53pm On May 07, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Lol, but that doesn't make him a husband material. Unless that's the ONLY thing you'll need in a man.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Truckpusher(m): 4:00pm On May 07, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, because of a statement he's already a good husband material. That's a myopic statement.
She's the kind of lady that guys would sweet talk and voila her legs are wide open like third mainland bridge. cheesy grin
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:01pm On May 07, 2018
makydebbie:
Lol, but that doesn't make him a husband material. Unless that's the ONLY thing you'll need in a man.
Of course not,It is just a part of the requirement *shines eyes and laughs*

1 Like

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 4:02pm On May 07, 2018
Truckpusher:
She's the kind of lady that guys would sweet talk and voila her legs are wide open like third mainland bridge. cheesy grin
Obviously it is not Hippolyta you cannot sweet talk an aquarian woman.Actions speak louder.

1 Like

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Truckpusher(m): 4:03pm On May 07, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Obviously it is not Hippolyta you cannot sweet talk an aquarian woman.Actions speak louder.
cheesy cheesy
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by makydebbie(f): 4:11pm On May 07, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Of course not,It is just a part of the requirement *shines eyes and laughs*
Lol, fair enough.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by pocohantas(f): 4:22pm On May 07, 2018
He sounds very confused, tbh.
And it's sad he wants to draw innocent kids into his confusion.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Jfyzee: 4:54pm On May 07, 2018
Think the man got a point if we should give is reasoning a deep thought.. it will set both men and women free in a way.

No more tie down by only one partner ... and as long as the women knows that the kids would bear her name.. then she can openly keep multiple partners.

But then again.. the instistute of marraige will be come meaningless.. and that's against God plan for marriage.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by HeWrites(m): 6:00pm On May 07, 2018
I'm not understanding his reasons. Maybe if you're marrying to the daughters of the Dangote/Otedola ��, I will understand small because I would have know say na your wife pay ur groom prize grin

Anyways, na you get your pikin.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Espada10: 7:28pm On May 07, 2018
Abjay97:
An Igbo man? I am shocked..

Rule no1

Never get shocked by anything done by an igbo person

They can do and undo

There is always something else involved ...an ulterior motive if you look deeper

For example that nincompoop who calls himself a male feminist. ( I won't be surprised if it is an igbo woman behind that account )

Another example is their feminist queen chimamda who has mastered the art of deceiving liberal white people with her feminism. ..

Her end goal is to win a nobel prize...mark my words
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 07, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:

Apply the same for future your grandchild then I will believe your love for unconventional character.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by revolt(m): 6:56pm On May 08, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
What is his zodiac sign?
The man doesn't like patriarchy,Queen Elizabeth's children answer the royal family name (Windsor).Even prince Philip took his mother's surname(mountbatten,from his maternal grand parents)
the Windsor name is state property. The Queen isn't just any woman, she's the symbol of UK's existence and royals don't use surnames. Feminists and upside down analysis .
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:22pm On May 08, 2018
revolt:
the Windsor name is state property. The Queen isn't just any woman, she's the symbol of UK's existence and royals don't use surnames. Feminists and upside down analysis .
Go and sit down did I lie about what I posted prince Charles and his siblings did not take prince Philip's surname but the house of Windsor even if they don't have a surname they are royalty and eligible to the British throne through the Queen(female).Next time try not to tell me what I know.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by revolt(m): 8:25pm On May 08, 2018
Three things ..either this dude does t know his father ie bastard or a woman pretending to. E q man. The face book name is weird. Looks like a fake account.

So may we ask what's stopping him, if he's a truly a man.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by revolt(m): 8:30pm On May 08, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Go and sit down did I lie about what I posted prince Charles and his siblings did not take prince Philip's surname but the house of Windsor even if they don't have a surname they are royalty and eligible to the British throne through the Queen(female).Next time try not to tell me what I know.
the Queen isn't a regular woman. She's the symbol of UK's existence. Don't compare the regular woman to her. She's state property, that's why her not giving birth to a heir could lead the country to civil war. Use ur rationality .
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:38pm On May 08, 2018
revolt:
the Queen isn't a regular woman. She's the symbol of UK's existence. Don't compare the regular woman to her. She's state property, that's why her not giving birth to a heir could lead the country to civil war. Use ur rationality .
Let me hear word,I know all these and try to get the message,If you didn't get the message ignore the post and don't try to school yourself thinking you are schooling me.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 08, 2018
Lol, which one be male feminist again ?

3 Likes

Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by OneLazyGirl: 7:33am On May 09, 2018
iamJ:

People really should learn how to read. The man explicitly said his decision was not made from a feminist standpoint.
Secondly, what you defined up there? it's definitely not feminism.
Re: "I Wouldn’t Mind My Kids Bearing Their Mother’s Surname" - Male Feminist by OneLazyGirl: 7:37am On May 09, 2018
All of you breaking heads over another man's decision, hope all is well?

(1) (Reply)

Surrogate Mother (gestational Carrier) Needed Urgently / Pls Someone Should Help Me Praise God Ooooo. / After 5-10years Of Marriage No Child What Will You Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.