Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

The Africa Of My Dreams - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Africa Of My Dreams (285 Views)

DREAMS / The Man Of My Dreams- A Short Story / The Girl Of My Dreams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Africa Of My Dreams by Sinafatai(m): 11:40am On May 08, 2018
ENOCH ACHEM
AFRICA OF MY DREAMS SMART CITIES & URBANIZATION
Africa!! My own Africa!!! Blessed with human capacity and resources, so much smile on our faces and hospitality in our hearts. Over 1,500 different languages spoken, we pride in our rich love and diversity.
A lot has changed since 2025, the Boom Era, it was a moment of unexpected surprise. Africa boldly
stood to the challenges that confronted Her Industrialization, conquering leaps and bounds making much
success breaking records in the process.
Dar es Salaam, one of Africa’s fastest growing cities, catalyzed by huge investments in transportation,
education and security. With the average population of fifteen (15) million people, Dar es Salaam may just
be Africa’s next big thing with Her Smart City project. The project began with a pilot phase four years back,
and after completion of the pilot phase, the full-scale implementation of the project began in April by KaiNet
(a mobile tech giant in South Africa). As part of the first stage, high-tech CCTV cameras would be installed
at various positions in the city in order to get real-time security information. Secondly, a signed contract to
install 53,100 LED street lights, 8,300 LED traffic signals and a wireless automated system for management
of the infrastructure. It would also ensure that sensors around the city collects data ranging from temperature,
congestion, to air pollution and meteorological data so that smart decisions can be made quickly. In some
cases, surveillance drones could be used to get security data from violence prone areas. Going by the speed
of the implementation and deadlines, the project could be completed by October.
At the same time Lagos, Nigeria and Africa’s most populous city have since been trying to handle
congestion with over 13 million people expected to find their way around on daily basis. In the first place,
BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) was introduced, working fine until demand shot up. QRT (Quick Response Transit)
buses took over providing smart transport solutions with help from RFID and NFC tags aiding communication between QRT buses and potential customers via a long range wireless network. This connected bus shelter featured digital communication where information such as the present location of the
bus, the customer’s preferred location, and congestion updates can be exchanged. It worked! Though there are upgrades on it. However, sufficient land is a big hindrance to the full scale implementation of the project
in Lagos. Sizeable amounts of land if available could be used as large smart car parks to reduce congestion
caused by vehicles parked by sidewalks. These Smart parks would by using various sensors and information
read from a database help the driver navigate his way to any free parking spot. Not to mention, Nairobi
launched her first Smart Park “Nyanor” three years ago with Abuja following shortly after, commissioning
Amina Smart Park to commemorate Nigeria’s independence. Challenges have been few and investments in
Smart Cities and Urbanization has increased sporadically.
In fact, an indigenous Nigerian designer label Xchafe based in Kaduna displayed the first smart
suit/dress Sosa Polo, during an exhibition held at Kaduna. Large scale production and full-scale
commercialization might begin this year. Sosa suits have built-in sensors that measure ambient temperature
and selects the best matching time that it should be worn.
Likewise, Kenya and Nigeria have taken major roles amongst the Renewable Energies key players.
In fact, a record 20GWp Hybrid Concentrated-PV/Solar power plant was commissioned at Mombasa by a
Chinese-Kenyan partnership just two years ago. Along with an already operational hydroelectric power
station at the time, the new power station boasted integration of multiple power generation sources and a
power purchase agreement to sell electricity for as low as 5 cents ($0.05) per KWh. However according to
recent survey, Kenyans install an average of 30GWp annually, thus raising grid concerns and delaying the
progress of the project. Kenya Lead Power Authority (KLPA) recently announced that Jiwimren, proffered
a Smart Grid Solution to address the problem. Going by the solution, the proposed smart grid would integrate
all energy sources without troubles. The major highlight is the incorporation of a smart payment solution that
easily pays prosumers (power producers at their residences) for their excess energy sent to the grid. The
solution would work efficiently when all components required (which includes a smart meter) are in good condition.
Nigeria, on another hand hasn’t backed off ever since 2020 when investors raided the country’s PV
market. Three (3) PV manufacturing plants, Clemkin, Erics and Dantata solar have established their feet on
Nigerian soil thus driving the market wild. Recent statistics (TigerRP33) suggests that over 50% of the
Nigerian populace have a PV generation system installed in their residences. Nigeria may consider something
similar to the Kenya smart grid solution if they wish to efficiently utilize the investment in the PV Sector. A
similar case down south, where Cape Town incorporated a hybrid wind and solar plant into a single grid
network. All of these, creates the right opportunity for smart grids to take center stage.
Presently Gabon, the most educated African country (with literacy levels over 90%) introduced a
smart school learning system comprising of various cyber learning support programs. The smart school
system was built on a rigid connectivity structure, low price of data, high injection of smart devices, IT
intelligence and steady power from her smart grid. The school would offer smart responses, forums, smart
notes, suites and smart Labs. The new educational system plans to run on a 6-4 structure comprising six (6)
years of secondary education and four (4) years of tertiary education. Tell me, who said smart schools won’t
expunge traditional schools?
By and large, Africans has shown the strength in their uniqueness and are gradually becoming a global
brand. Today (07-10-2040), marks my forty-seventh birthday. While I swirl my chair back and forth
reminiscing the Africa of old and the days of little beginning, I remember a story my father once told of how
the cockroach ate the hen, eventually we’ve brought our dreams through.
Wake up to the Africa of my dreams!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Targeted Website Traffic Urgently Needed / The Memorial / Despondency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.