Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,063 members, 7,814,659 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Truth About Tithing Before The Law - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Truth About Tithing Before The Law (487 Views)

The Truth About Tithing - Pastor Murphy Akpovi / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 1:53pm On May 08, 2018
Tithe... Well i have taught about tithe ,but some people think i am running out of grace... Even some very close to me. Well, if you want to pay tithe go ahead, If you will only open your mind to the mystery God is trying to unfold through tithing you will be surprised. If tithing is what i need to give to be prosperous i think i would be very smart...
The summary of it all is that a generous giver is a new testament tither. If i have given 50% of my salary to church and people in need, am i still called a tither? We give morethan 10% of our incomes Monthly If you can sum it up - the offering, tithing, sowing of seed, thanksgiving offering, project offering, donations, first fruits, fulfilment of vow giving to those in need ps etc. If you really think the new Testament law is easy, like the grace thing then you are joking

What is tithing? It means the paying of the one tenth of your income to God as commanded by him

The first Church believes in the principle of giving all, they believe in shearing.
Acts 4:32-37says
32: All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.
33: With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all.
34:that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
35:and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.
36:Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),
37:sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.

Notice from above the above Scripture, the Apostles didn't say all the money collected is their own but rather the money is for all is main to take care of their needs all together.
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 7:44am On May 10, 2018
I will take this teaching stage by stage,
tithing before the law
Two cases we have before the law was Abraham and Jacob.. We will deal with that first, lets start with Abraham.
Gen 14:20 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
We will trace what happened... In this verse, was it God that commanded Abraham or was it by volition... Was the tithe from his income..Questions to answer (plz am not against tithing).

Gen 14:1-2 At this time Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Kedorlaomer king of Elam and Tidal king of Goiim, went to war against Bera king of Sodom, Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar).
Sodom was were Abraham's nephew was lot... That city wanted to be attacked by kings of other cities
Gen 14:11 The four kings seized all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah and all their food; then they went away.
They actually captured Sodom and Gomorrah
What happened next? We will see.
Gen 14:12-13 They also carried off Abram's nephew Lot and his possessions, since he was living in Sodom.
One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. Now Abram was living near the great trees of Mamre the Amorite, a brother of Eshcol and Aner, all of whom were allied with Abram.
Pls follow the verses if you are studying with me
Gen 14:14 When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan.
Imagine Abraham, one man against four kings... What a prospered fellow..
Am going somewhere...
Gen 14:15-16 During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus. Recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot and his possessions, together with the women and the other people.
He recovered the stolen goods.. Plz note
Gen 14:17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
What happened next?
Gen 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,
This was where he saw Melchizedek
Gen 14:19 and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.
Gen 14:20 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
I stop here...
You can see that we never had an idea of tithe until Abraham gave it to Melchizedek. Now, is not about the money. The question is.
1.was it commanded by God?
2.where is the source of the tithe? Was it from his own income or spoils.
From the Bible it was not stated that God commanded Abraham to pay the one-tenth. It was d first time dat the Bible mention someone giving one-tenth or tithe of his earnings to a priest b4 it was later commanded by God to Abraham children (the Israelites), I think Abraham recognize that it was by the help of God dat he got d victory over the four kings and He deserve to be appreciated and he was led to drop the one-tenth of the spoil recovered back to the priest that was recognized then which is Melchizedek as the Priest of the Most High God.
Now to the second question. It was from the spoil he recovered from the battle and not his personal income.
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 7:44am On May 10, 2018
Now i will go on to another instance of tithing before the law which is the story of Jacob..
Pls let quickly study him from the scriptures..
Gen 28:20-22 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God, and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."
From this scriptural reference, we all know the story of how Jacob tricked his brother Easu of his blessings and how he ran for his safety knowing his brother will definitely go after him Now, Jacob made a *VOW*.
why? The answer is in the above three verses
Now the like we know what preachers use to say "brethren ,you don't give tithe, we pay tithe"
Well, the idea is that they got that notion from the law of Moses, we will treat that place am just moving dispensationally ..
Now, tithe is ten percent, payed to God by instruction, because it belong to God.. If we don't give it, we have robbed God, says Malachi.. Now the issue i have with Jacob is that he *vowed*.. Meaning that if he was not in distress to find safety, he wouldn't have vowed. We wouldn't have heard the story that Jacob payed tithe before the law
The matter here is tithe shouldn't be a *Vow*,it should be paid, since it belongs to God..
You only give what belongs to you and not a *vow*..
Is someone thinking here?
In summary for both Abraham and Jacob as a reference of tithe paying as we do traditionally in church is invalid..
I have 4 reasons
1. Abraham was not instructed by God
2. Abraham didn't give from his income, he gave from spoils from the battles (people's properties).
3. Jacob was not commanded by God to pay tithe
4. Tithe is not a vow, it is paying: In our next study, we will move to the law of Moses, the Old Testament, part of the New Testament too.. And discuss this tithe issue

1 Like

Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by paxonel(m): 9:20am On May 10, 2018
Op, anything above or below 10% is not tithing.
It is generous giving.

10% collection or tithing in churches is fraud. It was of Judaism and not christianity.

Even Jews of this modern day don't pay or collect 10% anymore in their synagues

2 Likes

Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by fardes(m): 11:05am On May 10, 2018
ysyowel:
Now i will go on to another instance of tithing before the law which is the story of Jacob..
Pls let quickly study him from the scriptures..
Gen 28:20-22 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God, and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."
From this scriptural reference, we all know the story of how Jacob tricked his brother Easu of his blessings and how he ran for his safety knowing his brother will definitely go after him Now, Jacob made a *VOW*.
why? The answer is in the above three verses
Now the like we know what preachers use to say "brethren ,you don't give tithe, we pay tithe"
Well, the idea is that they got that notion from the law of Moses, we will treat that place am just moving dispensationally ..
Now, tithe is ten percent, payed to God by instruction, because it belong to God.. If we don't give it, we have robbed God, says Malachi.. Now the issue i have with Jacob is that he *vowed*.. Meaning that if he was not in distress to find safety, he wouldn't have vowed. We wouldn't have heard the story that Jacob payed tithe before the law
The matter here is tithe shouldn't be a *Vow*,it should be paid, since it belongs to God..
You only give what belongs to you and not a *vow*..
Is someone thinking here?
In summary for both Abraham and Jacob as a reference of tithe paying as we do traditionally in church is invalid..
I have 4 reasons
1. Abraham was not instructed by God
2. Abraham didn't give from his income, he gave from spoils from the battles (people is properties).
3. Jacob was not commanded by God to pay tithe
4. Tithe is not a vow, it is paying: In our next study, we will move to the law of Moses, the Old Testament, part of the New Testament too.. And discuss this tithe issue
spoiled belong the warrior its out of Abraham's property he paid tithe sir. Thanks
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by fardes(m): 11:42am On May 10, 2018
ysyowel:
I will take this teaching stage by stage,
tithing before the law
Two cases we have before the law was Abraham and Jacob.. We will deal with that first, lets start with Abraham.
We will trace what happened... In this verse, was it God that commanded Abraham or was it by volition... Was the tithe from his income..Questions to answer (plz am not against tithing).

Gen 14:1-2 At this time Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Kedorlaomer king of Elam and Tidal king of Goiim, went to war against Bera king of Sodom, Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar).
Sodom was were Abraham's nephew was lot... That city wanted to be attacked by kings of other cities
Gen 14:11 The four kings seized all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah and all their food; then they went away.
They actually captured Sodom and Gomorrah
What happened next? We will see.
Gen 14:12-13 They also carried off Abram's nephew Lot and his possessions, since he was living in Sodom.
One who had escaped came and reported this to Abram the Hebrew. Now Abram was living near the great trees of Mamre the Amorite, a brother of Eshcol and Aner, all of whom were allied with Abram.
Pls follow the verses if you are studying with me
Gen 14:14 When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan.
Imagine Abraham, one man against four kings... What a prospered fellow..
Am going somewhere...
Gen 14:15-16 During the night Abram divided his men to attack them and he routed them, pursuing them as far as Hobah, north of Damascus. Recovered all the goods and brought back his relative Lot and his possessions, together with the women and the other people.
He recovered the stolen goods.. Plz note
Gen 14:17 After Abram returned from defeating Kedorlaomer and the kings allied with him, the king of Sodom came out to meet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
What happened next?
Gen 14:18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine. He was priest of God Most High,
This was where he saw Melchizedek
Gen 14:19 and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth.
I stop here...
You can see that we never had an idea of tithe until Abraham gave it to Melchizedek. Now, is not about the money. The question is.
1.was it commanded by God?
2.where is the source of the tithe? Was it from his own income or spoils.
From the Bible it was not stated that God commanded Abraham to pay the one-tenth. It was d first time dat the Bible mention someone giving one-tenth or tithe of his earnings to a priest b4 it was later commanded by God to Abraham children (the Israelites), I think Abraham recognize that it was by the help of God dat he got d victory over the four kings and He deserve to be appreciated and he was led to drop the one-tenth of the spoil recovered back to the priest that was recognized then which is Melchizedek as the Priest of the Most High God.
Now to the second question. It was from the spoil he recovered from the battle and not his personal income.
whatsoever a warrior brought from war is what they called spoil, since that day all those thing become their belongings. In somewhere their, Abraham refused to take those things for himself, for them not to be saying, I make Abraham become rich by invited him to war, those things belong to him be it woman, children goods, he has the right of taken them for himself, but he wanted the human rase to know how faithful is God of Israel, capable of making someone became rich.

1 Like

Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by M0ron: 11:57am On May 10, 2018
Tithing has been taught for centuries. It was a reference point that nobody was dogmatic about until the birth of Pentecostalism. It has been so much defiled that’s if there ever was any good in it,it is taken out.

But what hurts tithing and giving in Pentecostalism is not even the aggressiveness with which the subject is attended ,but the outright opaqueness that follows it. If churches were more transparent with their offerings and tithes then more would be moved to give. But is it is now,giving is a black hole.

Some clever sucka says we shouldn’t bother with what happens after giving?
Nonsense. In Acts they appointed spirit filled men to administer the gifts. There was murmuring because of perceived unfairness in expending the gifts. A church that is 102% in their income and expenditure I’ll gladly give my tithe
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 7:53am On May 11, 2018
before the law we were taught that Abraham gave tithe and Jacob vowed to give God the tenth of all that he have, but the Bible said nothing about whether they continue in it, that of Abraham was only recorded once and that of Jacob Bible said nothing about that whether he give or not
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 8:06am On May 11, 2018
first fruits and tithes are two different things, first fruits came before the the tithes, first fruits was first seen in Gen 4:3-4

KJV:And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
tithe was first seen in.
Gen 14:20 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into
your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 9:05am On May 11, 2018
fardes:
spoiled belong the warrior its out of Abraham's property he paid tithe sir. Thanks
true
the spoiled belongs to the warrior, it all belong to Abraham,
Abraham gave tithe from it, but there is no any record that he gave from his own original wealth God has given him.
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by ysyowel(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2018
fardes:
whatsoever a warrior brought from war is what they called spoil, since that day all those thing become their belongings. In somewhere their, Abraham refused to take those things for himself, for them not to be saying, I make Abraham become rich by invited him to war, those things belong to him be it woman, children goods, he has the right of taken them for himself, but he wanted the human rase to know how faithful is God of Israel, capable of making someone became rich.
you very right, everything belongs to him and for him to give tithe out of it is not a sin,
my point here is there was no record that Abraham gave tithe from his own personal wealth, remember we are only studying tithe before the law.
Re: Truth About Tithing Before The Law by dealslip(f): 3:02pm On May 15, 2018
We waste too much time on irrelevant things. Tithing refers to a portion of our produce we were to set aside for consumption under the direction of God and not the Leviites/Pastor. I have seen people quote Abraham, Jacob, Malachi as evidence that tithing is/was legal but I barely see Minsters and pastors quote Deuteronomy 14:22-29 which tells people how to apply their tithes.

Tithes in the law of Moses was to be consumed by the giver and also provide food for the Levites because they had no inheritance like land among the twelve tribes of Israel because they had been dedicated to serve in the temple of God and therefore didn't work or farm. The law also reminds us to remember the widows, foreigners and fatherless when we are consuming our tithes. Hampering on tithes out of the almost 2,000 laws of Moses is nothing but fraud. The book of James says if you default in one of the laws, you have defaulted in all. I put it to the pro tithers that if you insist on collecting or paying tithes then you should also start sacrificing lambs as atonement for your sins.

The reason why tithe has become popular and a major trap for greedy Christians is because of the prosperity it promises. For a gullible and greedy society like Nigeria where poverty has reset the mind of the people to 'grab everything for my self mode', tithing is a good panacea to help people satisfy their selfish nature because it promises a doubling of money and resources. Whereas these laws were specifically given to the Children of Israel to guide them before the advent of Christ.

If we insist tithes must be paid then we must obey other laws too like not eating certain animals, stoning fornicators (I bet many tithers will be dead by now), atoning for sins with the blood of animals, reinstating the levitical order and stop bothering Jesus Christ about your sins.

A group of fraudsters also claim Pastors are the new Levites, pray tell us how Pastor Adeboye, Oyakhilome, Oyedepo etal became biological descendants of Aaron. Assuming present day Nigeria was the old Israel and the Yoruba tribe of the tribes in Nigeria, was saddled with the responsibility of serving in the temple of God. How can a Morroccan or European who converted to Judaism/Christianity claim to be a Yoruba man just because he became a convert and insist tithes should be paid to him, especially where the bible says we should share our tithes with the them and not pay it to them. A Judaist had the prerogative of how his tithes would be shared and not the priest.

In all Christians are not Judaist but have a common foundation with the Judaists, they are not bound to Judaism but to Christ through the Holy Spirit.

(1) (Reply)

Trouble In The House Of God: Cash Gift Divides CAN / Prophet And Mrs Joy Samuel Olaluwoye In New Look (pics) / Why Jws Were Forced To Change John1:1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.