Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features (8207 Views)

Threads Consolidates, Hits 37m Users, Introduces More Features / MTN Increases Data Transfer Limit From 1GB To 2GB, Adds More Menu Options / Google Removes UC Browser From Play Store (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:18am On May 10, 2018
I've used from Android 2.2 to Android 8.1 and I'll say that navigation on all of the versions was pretty basic. Android users essentially had 3 navigation buttons and in some apps four. Now Google is looking to change all of that. It's definitely going to take some getting used to but don't worry you'll get used to it.

On Android P, the home, back and multitasking button (God bless their souls ) will be replaced with a single pill-shaped button which is located at the bottom of the screen. The back button now appears contextually inside the apps and not as a fixed key that used to appear on every screen

Google unveiled some of the new features that are about to debut with the next version of Android. The search giant actually unveiled a slew of new features in Android P at Google I/O 2018.

The new navigation gestures to switch between apps allows users to use gesture to navigate and switch between apps just like the iPhone X

If you swipe up from the newly added button, you will get a new multitasking panel which shows most recent apps. If you swipe up once more, you will get the app drawer. Users just need to tap on the button to go back to the home screen.

However, the swipe feature to switch between apps is replicated exactly like on the iPhone X. As soon as you release your finger, you will jump to the selected app.

So, Google clearly ripped off the feature from the iPhone X where you can scroll between your open apps by sliding the new home button

Apart from that there are a couple of other changes as well.

Adaptive battery - Battery life improved considerably with the launch of Android Marshmallow and Google is looking to take it even further by integrating AI into the battery management app

Quick Screenshot Editing. You can now take a screenshot and edit it immediately before saving or sharing. It has actually been a part of the customized Android ecosystem but it was not a stock android native feature until Android P.

Lockdown: This is one of my best new features. Google added a feature that allows users to temporarily disable fingerprint security which means when lockdown is activated, only the password can be used to unlock the phone. So if I'm sleeping with my Android 9.0 phone, it's best you leave my fingers the hell alone.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm still waiting for when Google will integrate something that actually helps when an Android phone is stolen. The default find my phone hardly works in countries like Nigeria where we tend to turn off our data when it's not in use.

https://www.naijatechguy.com/2018/05/google-ditches-old-navigation-buttons.html

4 Likes

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by NaijaTechGuy(m): 4:19am On May 10, 2018
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by maxjax(m): 4:30am On May 10, 2018
make 'em let us enjoy Android 7 finish naaaaas
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Nobody: 4:49am On May 10, 2018
maxjax:
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Cyb3rhack3r: 6:38am On May 10, 2018
Oreo is still struggling to get a Market Share.
Google should do something about this.
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:09am On May 10, 2018
Cyb3rhack3r:

Yeah that's true

1 Like

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:31am On May 10, 2018
maxjax:

Lol � �
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Nobody: 7:45am On May 10, 2018
Google is wow

Android is the best thing to happen to the world of phone tech.

If you like buy your iPhone for 1billion, it's incomparable to Android

6 Likes

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by MALACHY247: 7:45am On May 10, 2018
shocked
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by BedLam: 7:47am On May 10, 2018
Cyb3rhack3r:
This is not Google's fault. Pure Android get faster updates.
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by MARX77(m): 7:50am On May 10, 2018
The lock down feature is sweet, how can one be sleeping and someone else is unlocking his phone with the original owners' fingerprints without their permission. Chai!!
GOOGLE did well.

3 Likes

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Offpoint: 7:53am On May 10, 2018
team 2.2 I'm not updating till Jesus comesgrin
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Dam5reey(m): 7:57am On May 10, 2018
I used few version....

Android for Life.. grin
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Centrallock: 7:57am On May 10, 2018
Bad move google. Bad move.

2 Likes

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by bibe(m): 8:03am On May 10, 2018
The gesture navigation debuted with blackberry 10, Apple ripped it off and now Android has done same.
Dunno why Americans like twisting everything to suit them, just like calling iPhone the first smartphone whereas Nokia symbian series 60 was the first smartphone. The first iPhone couldn't even multitask and had no copy and paste function until iPhone 3S.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by edo3(m): 8:09am On May 10, 2018
Abeg house,,I can't book bet9ja game on my phone any longer using d old mobile,,,pls any solutions?
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Kalex01(m): 8:11am On May 10, 2018
This is the best OS ever.

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by SEYILIGHT(m): 8:23am On May 10, 2018
This OS reminds me the one released in 1963, it was also a grenade.
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Clemz4u4u: 8:23am On May 10, 2018
Finger print lockdown will be very fine
Imagine u sleeping and someone use your finger to open ur phone. It can be a disaster
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Whizpeter(m): 8:24am On May 10, 2018
It's like I will skip Oreo and just go for the android 9.0 when it debuts.

My best Android Os is still KitKat while Nougat is my second best.
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by andymofia(m): 8:32am On May 10, 2018
copy copy.

iPhone navigation style
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by hoover420: 8:42am On May 10, 2018
Android should slow down on these things na... Am still on 7.0. Where are we rushing to?! shocked shocked
Meanwhile why are they trying desperately to copy ios na!

1 Like

Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by dogstyle007(m): 8:42am On May 10, 2018
nice one
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by jaxxy(m): 9:07am On May 10, 2018
Looks cool bt why Copying iPhone boring multitasking menu
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by spoilerx: 9:26am On May 10, 2018
Cyb3rhack3r:

not really google's fault, OEM's want you to buy a new phone to get updates
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 4:04pm On May 10, 2018
jaxxy:
Looks cool bt why Copying iPhone boring multitasking menu
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by Chimarto: 9:13pm On May 10, 2018
the only diff i notice btw 2.2 to 8.1 is just the changes in walpaper. this 9.0 make sense but i hate gesture right from blackberry (may her soul rest in...)
Re: Google Removes The Default Navigation Buttons On Android P & Adds More Features by ollah2: 11:24pm On May 10, 2018
bibe:
The gesture navigation debuted with blackberry 10, Apple ripped it off and now Android has done same.
Dunno why Americans like twisting everything to suit them, just like calling iPhone the first smartphone whereas Nokia symbian series 60 was the first smartphone. The first iPhone couldn't even multitask and had no copy and paste function until iPhone 3S.

It actually debutted with webOS. It was so ahead of its time

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Must-have App For A New Android User / Are You Interested In Moderating This Section? / The Truth Behind The New Airtel Operamini Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.