Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Must Read: The Faith Healers- James Randi - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Read: The Faith Healers- James Randi (431 Views)

'Kumuyi: Defender of the Faith' - Adeboye, Authors Extol Kumuyi In New Book / An Honest Liar: The Amazing Randi - Expose Of Frauds / Why Do Thousands Of Churches Differ In Doctrine Yet They Read The Bible - Freeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Must Read: The Faith Healers- James Randi by M0ron: 9:51am On May 11, 2018
My entrance into the investigation of faith-healing began long ago. For more than four decades I have been looking into claims made by psychics, water dowsers, astrolo- gers, and every sort of flim-flam artist ima- ginable. In fact, I established an offer in 1964 which applies to all such claims. The rules are simple, and the document that I send to all potential claimants can be found in Ap- pendix I of this book.

While investigating paranormal claims, I had put all religious claims on a back burner to await my possible attention at a much later date. The recent intense interest infaith-healing, largely brought about by the announced possible candidacy of faith-healer Pat Robertson for the presidency of the Un- ited States, captured my interest. Upon be- ginning my investigation, I quickly became aware of the very sordid, sad, and frighten- ing nature of the entire business, and real- ized that my knowledge of conjuring tech- niques could be put to good use in the quest, since faith-healers were using quite recogniz- able magicians’ methods— both technical and psychological— to accomplish their per- formances. This book can cover only the first stages of what will surely be a difficult and never-ending endeavor. Regardless of the book’s effect on the trade, faith-healers will always be with us. The small but irreducible fraction of humanity that will believe any- thing, no matter how ridiculous, will contin- ue to support the fakery and the fakers well
into future generations.

It is impossible to give any sort of an es- timate of how much money is extracted yearly from the victims of faith-healers. In these pages, I will try to outline the financial excesses of several of the leading figures in the field, who bring in fortunes that can only begin to suggest the vast sums generated by the entire industry. The political influence, the attempt to control public morality, and the human suffering that are part of the faith-healing business are factors that are even more difficult to assess.

Until I began receiving the cooperation of some of the workers who were either still in- side the operations or had recently left them, I had little notion of just how large the faith- healing business was and how much misery it produced. The data I have gathered in the form of computer printouts, photocopies of letters and documents— and some origin- als— along with the more than 200 video- tapes directly relating to this investigation,now occupy eleven file drawers in my office, and only representative samples have been
included in this book.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HWbqTFGwZHEGr2-VBMV0FLgQulDRk632

Re: Must Read: The Faith Healers- James Randi by M0ron: 10:06am On May 11, 2018

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Internal Guidance System / The Difference Between Man And Beast / God is good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.