Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game (3872 Views)

"God Of War" Wins Game Of The Year Award. See Full List Of Nominees & Winners / FIFA 19: Six Features That Should Be Added To Make The Game Better / 4 Reasons The God Of War Is Arguably 2018 Best Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by MobileGees: 4:06pm On May 11, 2018
Disclaimer: This is a really long and comprehensive post so grab a popcorn and read on.

After a few hoursrs of playing the game I decided to do a review of the game.

My most enduring memory of the previous God of War games is an uncomfortable experience of having to watch a senseless God of War murder innocent people and unnecessary potrayal of nudity.
I’d been trying to integrate myself into the game since the original part 1 but it just doesn't kick in.
But there was still a constant feeling of being on the outer that I couldn’t quite shake.

God of War 3 might be a great game to many people especially Nigerians, But for me, the great gameplay was wrapped in hostility toward the player. The hypermasculinity threaded throughout, and the hypersexuality of the women depicted therein, was alienating.

I couldn’t connect with the depiction of Kratos as a hero. In one scene he’d be protecting a young girl. The next: Hauling terrified women around and quite
literally using them as objects, discarding them to gruesome fates once they were no longer useful.
Even his protection of others seemed borne less out of genuine affection than because they were “his things”.

Women relentlessly threw themselves at him, yet he was completely unappealing. Whenever a nameless, bare-breasted woman squealed and pleaded with Kratos to either bed her or leave her unharmed, I felt pushed further away. The zeitgeist of games at the time was, perhaps unintentionally but no less effectively, inhospitable to those outside the stereotypical gamer paradigm.

I liked the game. It just didn’t like me

It was as if Santa Monica knew of my complains about the game they totally changed everything and tuned it to my taste, the new God of changed everything, Kratos’ evolution has turned him into a more powerful and compelling character than he has ever been. He still has his Spartan rage, but he has added sense to it and is able to control and direct it, rather than give himself over to it.

it now explores an evolved, more mature form. One that is constructive rather than destructive, slow to harm, and is actually capable of recognising when not to resort to violence. This healthy masculinity fosters inner contentment rather than turmoil. It’s no longer about how many heads you can rip off with your bare hands, but how to care for your son.

God Of War Has Finally Grown Up

The new God of War released eight years after God of War 3. When I first heard Kratos would be returning, I wondered how his particular brand of boobs and bloodshed would fit into today’s more socially-conscious world. After all, weren’t these defining characteristics of the character and franchise?

However, Kratos has returned a changed man. Violence still defines him, but he is self-aware enough to know what he has done and what it has done to him, and is doing his utmost to instead change himself into the man he wants to be: A man of self-restraint and consideration, one capable of guiding a young boy’s growth to adulthood.

“None of us as human beings can forget our past in order to move forward,” said Aaron Kauffman, Senior Community Manager and Marketing Producer at Santa Monica said in an interview last month.
“We have to deal with the tragedies and sacrifices, all the different moments that come into our life, and Kratos is dealing with that.”

Kratos is thus portrayed not as the pinnacle of virile, masculine perfection, but as a deeply flawed figure trying to learn from his past actions and ensure he never repeats them. And, just like the girl who doesn’t know she’s beautiful in One Direction’s 2011 hit song “What Makes You Beautiful”, him thinking he isn’t an aspirational figure transforms him into one.

Games such as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn are broadening the roles of women in games. But, perhaps more subtly, the roles for we men are evolving as well. There is growing room for men to have complex emotions, to fight for things other than glory, vengeance and self-interest.

“Games have matured,” Kauffman said. “Without getting into comparison, there's a lot of games in the action/adventure space that are creating characters who are more relatable, storylines that are far more interesting​ than just a god on a path of vengeance.”
Historically, masculinity in games has been characterised by ripped, aggressive men killing everything in their path. Women may swoon or try to seduce them. They are powerful, commanding, and know exactly what they are doing at all times.
In contrast, Kratos, while still muscle-bound and capable of cutting a swath through his enemies, is plagued with uncertainty and fear. Rather than battling corrupt authorities or rescuing kidnapped loved ones, his biggest concern is raising his son and keeping him safe.

Like most fathers, he is trying to mould Atreus into someone better than himself and has little idea of how to go about it.

There is growing room for men to have complex emotions

Meanwhile, Atreus himself is an example of the next generation of men. Within the game’s first few minutes, he displays a reverence for life that is unlike Kratos and indeed atypical of most video games.

While this could easily be attributed to the fact that he is a child, he's also consciously learning what it is to be a man, looking for guidance from his father. Whether this is a aspect of his personality that will be nurtured or discarded is up to Kratos.

Kratos and Atreus are emblematic of societal growth and sophistication in understanding masculinity. Though Atreus is compassionate and Kratos is afraid, their ability to feel these things does not impede their masculinity. Instead, it drives both to think about their actions, to understand their weight, to make better decisions and to become better people.

God of War demonstrates that men do not need to give up their power fantasies. They can still be the strong, muscle-bound figures of their dreams, fight gruelling battles, and conquer swarming enemies.
But to be truly strong, one needs to understand why they act, and know when and how to use their strength.

In some ways, it’s jarring to hear Kratos speak of Atreus’ deceased mother with reverence and respect. Historically, the value he placed upon the lives of others appeared limited to how they served him - his narrative, his goals, his desires. Even his previous wife and daughter were “his”, idealised figures rather than independent characters.

Kratos’ relationship with women in the new God of War is perhaps the clearest indicator of his newfound maturity. He treats them with respect, acknowledges their strength, and never discounts them.

They are portrayed as powerful characters in their own right, with concerns unrelated to sexual pursuits.

Playing through this year’s God of War, I have yet to see a single exposed female breast. Ironically, the removal of this mature content has contributed to a more mature game. It is akin to clearing out the box of Playboy magazines from beneath a teenager’s bed, or scrubbing the graffitied Instruments off a desk.

God of War is more secure in its masculinity, and is no longer afraid of emotional complexity.
Kratos’ evolution has turned him into a more powerful and compelling character than he has ever been. He still has his Spartan rage, but he has harnessed it and is able to control and direct it, rather than give himself over to it.

Instead of the selfish, wild aggression of the past, God of War concludes that men’s true strength can be found in nurturing and protecting others, and in knowing and controlling themselves.
Kratos has fought many fearsome enemies throughout his storied history - gods and monsters and men. But by far his mightiest display of strength and power is his hard-fought command over himself and his own rage.

After all, what more formidable opponent could Kratos ever face than Kratos himself?

God of War demonstrates that men do not need to give up their power fantasies. They can still be the strong, muscle-bound figures of their dreams, fight gruelling battles, and conquering swarming enemies. But to be truly strong, one needs to understand why they act, and know when and how to use their strength.

Damn, just nailing it. cheesy

What I'm loving about Dad of War is that (at least to a certain extent) the game is focused on Kratos' control of that highly exaggerated rage, rather than celebrating its raw and directionless expression the way earlier games did. The game acknowledges that emotional maturity isn't just some intellectual decision you can make without internal push-back, but is instead a worthy (and difficult) challenge to face, over and over. It lauds the victory over self as hard-won, and has the honesty to show that victory isn't easy, natural, or without mistakes. It introduces through Atreus the concept of compassion as both a goal, and a tool to aid in that control.

This is the kind of game we should've been playing as young teens. Kratos is far from an ideal role model, but this game shows his journey to becoming one.

Note: I haven't totally liked the series but this is a huge step towards me liking it.
cc: Lalasticlala Seun Cao Mynd

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Nobody: 11:05am On May 12, 2018
Nerd ...leave the breast for us .

Just kidding .
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Thegamingorca(m): 12:09pm On May 12, 2018
tobianthony:
Nerd ...leave the breast for us .

Just kidding .

You had energy to read through? shocked

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by crafteck(m): 12:49pm On May 12, 2018
Your review is longer than the game

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 12, 2018
Yeah I read it ...very good review .

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Oluwaroyeshina: 1:24am On May 14, 2018
[quote author=tobianthony post=67493698]Nerd ...leave the breast for us .

Just kidding . [I think it's not a bad game though]
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Oluwaroyeshina: 1:32am On May 14, 2018
[quote author=Thegamingorca post=67495280]

You had energy to read through? shocked[like seriously]
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by cao(f): 4:39am On May 14, 2018
Oluwaroyeshina, it's not that hard to use quotes...

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by cao(f): 4:40am On May 14, 2018
crafteck:
Your review is longer than the game
Your joke - swing and miss.
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by ArcFresky(m): 11:25pm On May 15, 2018
All the grammar in the beginning made me quicklu lose interest

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Nobody: 6:59am On May 16, 2018
Wordy grammar is even more appealing to me .

Most won't even read it .

Maybe it's just me ...I read the famished road several times at the age of 7 or so. That book is as big as two Bible's or more self .

That's why I always say when writing an OP ed ...always summarise your post in one sentence like they do on Reddit .

But it's a good post . Less R rated scenes means more kids can play it I guess .

1 Like

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by kongolo(m): 12:38am On Jun 16, 2018
God of war games used to be great and fun but the game became too self-serious with the new release this year.
I ain't gat no time to play a game with a once unapologitically masculine character now turned feminine while being masqueraded under the guise "matured" angry

2 Likes

Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by cao(f): 11:06am On Jun 18, 2018
kongolo:
God of war games used to be great and fun but the game became too self-serious with the new release this year.
I ain't gat no time to play a game with a once unapologitically masculine character now turned feminine while being masqueraded under the guise "matured" angry
Your misogyny is showing...
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Dami4life: 9:19am On Aug 27, 2020
MobileGees:
Disclaimer: This is a really long and comprehensive post so grab a popcorn and read on.

After a few hoursrs of playing the game I decided to do a review of the game.

My most enduring memory of the previous God of War games is an uncomfortable experience of having to watch a senseless God of War murder innocent people and unnecessary potrayal of nudity.
I’d been trying to integrate myself into the game since the original part 1 but it just doesn't kick in.
But there was still a constant feeling of being on the outer that I couldn’t quite shake.

God of War 3 might be a great game to many people especially Nigerians, But for me, the great gameplay was wrapped in hostility toward the player. The hypermasculinity threaded throughout, and the hypersexuality of the women depicted therein, was alienating.

I couldn’t connect with the depiction of Kratos as a hero. In one scene he’d be protecting a young girl. The next: Hauling terrified women around and quite
literally using them as objects, discarding them to gruesome fates once they were no longer useful.
Even his protection of others seemed borne less out of genuine affection than because they were “his things”.

Women relentlessly threw themselves at him, yet he was completely unappealing. Whenever a nameless, bare-breasted woman squealed and pleaded with Kratos to either bed her or leave her unharmed, I felt pushed further away. The zeitgeist of games at the time was, perhaps unintentionally but no less effectively, inhospitable to those outside the stereotypical gamer paradigm.

It was as if Santa Monica knew of my complains about the game they totally changed everything and tuned it to my taste, the new God of changed everything, Kratos’ evolution has turned him into a more powerful and compelling character than he has ever been. He still has his Spartan rage, but he has added sense to it and is able to control and direct it, rather than give himself over to it.

it now explores an evolved, more mature form. One that is constructive rather than destructive, slow to harm, and is actually capable of recognising when not to resort to violence. This healthy masculinity fosters inner contentment rather than turmoil. It’s no longer about how many heads you can rip off with your bare hands, but how to care for your son.

God Of War Has Finally Grown Up

The new God of War released eight years after God of War 3. When I first heard Kratos would be returning, I wondered how his particular brand of boobs and bloodshed would fit into today’s more socially-conscious world. After all, weren’t these defining characteristics of the character and franchise?

However, Kratos has returned a changed man. Violence still defines him, but he is self-aware enough to know what he has done and what it has done to him, and is doing his utmost to instead change himself into the man he wants to be: A man of self-restraint and consideration, one capable of guiding a young boy’s growth to adulthood.

“None of us as human beings can forget our past in order to move forward,” said Aaron Kauffman, Senior Community Manager and Marketing Producer at Santa Monica said in an interview last month.
“We have to deal with the tragedies and sacrifices, all the different moments that come into our life, and Kratos is dealing with that.”

Kratos is thus portrayed not as the pinnacle of virile, masculine perfection, but as a deeply flawed figure trying to learn from his past actions and ensure he never repeats them. And, just like the girl who doesn’t know she’s beautiful in One Direction’s 2011 hit song “What Makes You Beautiful”, him thinking he isn’t an aspirational figure transforms him into one.

Games such as Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn are broadening the roles of women in games. But, perhaps more subtly, the roles for we men are evolving as well. There is growing room for men to have complex emotions, to fight for things other than glory, vengeance and self-interest.

“Games have matured,” Kauffman said. “Without getting into comparison, there's a lot of games in the action/adventure space that are creating characters who are more relatable, storylines that are far more interesting​ than just a god on a path of vengeance.”
Historically, masculinity in games has been characterised by ripped, aggressive men killing everything in their path. Women may swoon or try to seduce them. They are powerful, commanding, and know exactly what they are doing at all times.
In contrast, Kratos, while still muscle-bound and capable of cutting a swath through his enemies, is plagued with uncertainty and fear. Rather than battling corrupt authorities or rescuing kidnapped loved ones, his biggest concern is raising his son and keeping him safe.

Like most fathers, he is trying to mould Atreus into someone better than himself and has little idea of how to go about it.

There is growing room for men to have complex emotions

Meanwhile, Atreus himself is an example of the next generation of men. Within the game’s first few minutes, he displays a reverence for life that is unlike Kratos and indeed atypical of most video games.

While this could easily be attributed to the fact that he is a child, he's also consciously learning what it is to be a man, looking for guidance from his father. Whether this is a aspect of his personality that will be nurtured or discarded is up to Kratos.

Kratos and Atreus are emblematic of societal growth and sophistication in understanding masculinity. Though Atreus is compassionate and Kratos is afraid, their ability to feel these things does not impede their masculinity. Instead, it drives both to think about their actions, to understand their weight, to make better decisions and to become better people.

God of War demonstrates that men do not need to give up their power fantasies. They can still be the strong, muscle-bound figures of their dreams, fight gruelling battles, and conquer swarming enemies.
But to be truly strong, one needs to understand why they act, and know when and how to use their strength.

In some ways, it’s jarring to hear Kratos speak of Atreus’ deceased mother with reverence and respect. Historically, the value he placed upon the lives of others appeared limited to how they served him - his narrative, his goals, his desires. Even his previous wife and daughter were “his”, idealised figures rather than independent characters.

Kratos’ relationship with women in the new God of War is perhaps the clearest indicator of his newfound maturity. He treats them with respect, acknowledges their strength, and never discounts them.

They are portrayed as powerful characters in their own right, with concerns unrelated to sexual pursuits.

Playing through this year’s God of War, I have yet to see a single exposed female breast. Ironically, the removal of this mature content has contributed to a more mature game. It is akin to clearing out the box of Playboy magazines from beneath a teenager’s bed, or scrubbing the graffitied Instruments off a desk.

God of War is more secure in its masculinity, and is no longer afraid of emotional complexity.
Kratos’ evolution has turned him into a more powerful and compelling character than he has ever been. He still has his Spartan rage, but he has harnessed it and is able to control and direct it, rather than give himself over to it.

Instead of the selfish, wild aggression of the past, God of War concludes that men’s true strength can be found in nurturing and protecting others, and in knowing and controlling themselves.
Kratos has fought many fearsome enemies throughout his storied history - gods and monsters and men. But by far his mightiest display of strength and power is his hard-fought command over himself and his own rage.

After all, what more formidable opponent could Kratos ever face than Kratos himself?

God of War demonstrates that men do not need to give up their power fantasies. They can still be the strong, muscle-bound figures of their dreams, fight gruelling battles, and conquering swarming enemies. But to be truly strong, one needs to understand why they act, and know when and how to use their strength.

Damn, just nailing it. cheesy

What I'm loving about Dad of War is that (at least to a certain extent) the game is focused on Kratos' control of that highly exaggerated rage, rather than celebrating its raw and directionless expression the way earlier games did. The game acknowledges that emotional maturity isn't just some intellectual decision you can make without internal push-back, but is instead a worthy (and difficult) challenge to face, over and over. It lauds the victory over self as hard-won, and has the honesty to show that victory isn't easy, natural, or without mistakes. It introduces through Atreus the concept of compassion as both a goal, and a tool to aid in that control.

This is the kind of game we should've been playing as young teens. Kratos is far from an ideal role model, but this game shows his journey to becoming one.

Note: I haven't totally liked the series but this is a huge step towards me liking it.
cc: Lalasticlala Seun Cao Mynd
just saw your post and am like where was this thread since? And everything's true
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Michaelcas(m): 9:11am On Aug 29, 2020
millions of people around the world still loves the older game better, because of the rage that consumes him
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by MobileGees: 11:59am On Aug 29, 2020
Michaelcas:
millions of people around the world still loves the older game better, because of the rage that consumes him

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you... Overall the God Of War 2018 had far better ratings than the old one.... That is, more people preferred the new God of war to the old one
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by MobileGees: 11:59am On Aug 29, 2020
Dami4life:
just saw your post and am like where was this thread since? And everything's true

Hehehe thanks bro
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Dami4life: 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2020
MobileGees:

Hehehe thanks bro
sure thing✌
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Michaelcas(m): 5:06pm On Aug 29, 2020
MobileGees:

I'm sorry but I totally disagree with you... Overall the God Of War 2018 had far better ratings than the old one.... That is, more people preferred the new God of war to the old one
that's expected, God of War 4 got better graphics, excellent gameplay (not really hack and slash? and most of all it moved from Greek mythology to Norse with new game rules

If the next GoW moves to Egyptian myth with a good gameplay, i bet it would have a better rating that the other, you feel

Actually half the world preferred the young Kratos, and everyone misses the jumps, the Icarus wings, the sex scenes and mostly the lack of young Kratos' brutality
Re: God Of War Has Finally "Matured" - My Review Of The Game by Dami4life: 8:51pm On Aug 29, 2020
Michaelcas:
that's expected, God of War 4 got better graphics, excellent gameplay (not really hack and slash? and most of all it moved from Greek mythology to Norse with new game rules

If the next GoW moves to Egyptian myth with a good gameplay, i bet it would have a better rating that the other, you feel

Actually half the world preferred the young Kratos, and everyone misses the jumps, the Icarus wings, the sex scenes and mostly the lack of young Kratos' brutality
when you wrote half of the world you mean you right?�

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Your Best Gaming Experience / Download Tons Of PC/PSP Games!(direct Links) / Pls Which Is Best For Playing Gta 5 Is Ps4 Or Pc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.