Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,218 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal (5526 Views)

First Pictures Of Ozil In Arsenal Colours / Billionaire Nigerian Aliko Dangote Set To Bid For 16% Stake In Arsenal / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (In Arsenal We Trust) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by migareigns(m): 5:08pm On May 24, 2010
Multi-billionaire industrialist, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, is considering buying 16 per cent stake in English Premier League club, Arsenal.

The stake is said to be worth £96 million (about N25 billion) as the battle for the takeover of the elite football club appears set for a grand finale.

Dangote confirmed to THISDAY last night that he was “seriously considering” investing in the club. He has already registered his interest with Blackstone, the American finance house contracted by Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith, Arsenal’s fourth-largest shareholder who wants to sell her stake worth about £96 million.She expects the sale will fetch her around £160 million.

Dangote told THISDAY that his interest had been in the making “for a while”, while his relationship and support for Arsenal dates back “a long time”. “It started in 1980 when I forged a relationship with Mr David Dein, former vice-chairman of the board of Arsenal,” he said, explaining that Dein sold him his first consignment of sugar at the time.

Dangote began watching Arsenal’s matches as Dein’s guest and remained a firm supporter of the club.
“That is when I developed an interest in Arsenal, and when the opportunity presented itself to acquire a stake in the club, I went for it,” he said.

If Dangote’s bid is successful, he could become a major factor in the cold takeover war between American billionaire, Stan Kroenke, and Uzbek oligarch, Alisher Usmanov – the two biggest investors in the company.
Kroenke currently owns 29.9 per cent of the club while Usmanov owns 26 per cent. Under UK rules, any investor who hits the 29.99 per cent threshold will be obliged to launch a formal takeover bid and buy out the other shareholders

http://gistboard.com/content/dangote-moves-buy-16-stake-arsenal
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by blank(f): 5:41pm On May 24, 2010
The guy say na lie o.

Nigerian Aliko Dangote denies interest in Arsenal stake

Dangote is reputed to be Africa's richest man
Nigerian businessman Aliko Dangote has denied planning a move to buy a 15.9% stake in Premier League side Arsenal.
Reports claimed he was interested in Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith's shares, which are available for about £100m.
In a statement, Dangote confirmed he had "been involved in conversations around investment in the past".
But he added: "I can say categorically at this time that I have no intention of investing in the club and will not be acquiring a stake."
Dangote, group president and chief executive officer of the Dangote Group, is reputed to be Africa's richest man, with Forbes magazine in the United States estimating his fortune two years ago at $3.3bn (£2.3bn).
His wealth was built on a business empire that he founded in 1977 and now includes the number one sugar production company in Nigeria, a cement factory and textile products, plus he was made a Commander of the Order of the Niger five years ago.
He recently told Nigerian newspaper ThisDay that he had been an Arsenal supporter for a "long time" and stated: "It started in 1980 when I forged a relationship with Mr David Dein, former vice-chairman of the board of Arsenal."

Last month, Lady Bracewell-Smith instructed UK brokers Blackstone to find a buyer, having previously given up her place on the club's board in 2008.
Stan Kroenke and Alisher Usmanov are Arsenal's two largest shareholders and it was thought that her decision to sell might lead to a bidding war between them.
US billionaire Kroenke owns 29.98% of the club's shares, while Russian tycoon Usmanov holds 26.29%, but if any shareholder's stake reaches 30%, he or she is obliged to make a takeover offer for the club.
Neither Kroenke - who also owns the NBA's Denver Nuggets basketball franchise, Major League Soccer's Colorado Rapids football club and a stake in the NFL's St Louis Rams American football team - nor Usmanov has so far been willing to take that step.
And Blackstone, who have been advising Lady Bracewell-Smith for several months, have been looking for an appropriate alternative buyer.
Dangote has ruled himself out but his statement read: "I wish Arsenal Football Club the best for the future and will continue to follow the team as a fan."
According to the Daily Telegraph, Blackstone has also spoken to consortiums in Eastern Europe and the Far East but the Arsenal Supporters' Trust is urging Lady Bracewell-Smith to lower the asking price for her 9,893 shares.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8701215.stm
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by Iyineda(m): 5:56pm On May 24, 2010
Frick! You beat me to it, blank. tongue
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by migareigns(m): 6:28pm On May 24, 2010
What  the hell is going on Thisday newspaper claim that  Dangote told them he was interested.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=174027

Abi the other parties don warn am lol.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by 12large: 7:11pm On May 24, 2010
ahh nigerians and 419. it was probably a nigerian 419 guy trying to scam arsenal but it did not work. infact how can a white guy even trust a nigerian
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by D1KeleVra(m): 7:22pm On May 24, 2010
^^ grin
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by dipo2much(m): 7:23pm On May 24, 2010
i am sure dangote wants to invest in arsenal. Come to thin of if,who wouldnt want to? Arsenal is a very profitable institution to invest in
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by D1KeleVra(m): 7:45pm On May 24, 2010
JayZ sef wan invest the n!gga like good thing
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by mykali(m): 8:12pm On May 24, 2010
he's not interested?
what does one believe these days? angry
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by denny4ril: 8:26pm On May 24, 2010
wink i am beginning to wonder if Dangote is really interested in football or may be he is in for business connections. who knows?
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by mrkoma2012: 8:29pm On May 24, 2010
too much money
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by Agbalanze(m): 9:23pm On May 24, 2010
Problem, how to spend it cheesy
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by snowdrops(m): 10:00pm On May 24, 2010
mrkoma2012:

too much money
Thats what happens when billionaires get bored.
Ask Abramovich.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by bumpkin(m): 10:25pm On May 24, 2010
I heard on BBC that he released a statement today denying the rumours. So it's not happening, although he is an Arsenal fan
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by snowdrops(m): 10:29pm On May 24, 2010
Its already been pasted above. Read the second post.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by inme: 10:43pm On May 24, 2010
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by oge4real(f): 11:22pm On May 24, 2010
I really wished he had invested in the Gunners, ta least we would have 2 Nigerian notable men involved in notable football clubs.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by abdulram: 11:26pm On May 24, 2010
Arsenal is not a profitable venture to invest in. Dangote is smart and would not do such a thing. Even roman abramovic is bitting his fingers cus chelsea is oweing him 800 million pounds.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by ewealths(m): 1:36am On May 25, 2010
Arsenal is very profitable to invest in day as far as Arsene Wenger is in charge : buy small, sell BIG but never win a trophy, just keep make money for the shareholders!
If Dangote wants a piece of the cake, abeg give the Oga the cake!
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by Faher(m): 1:38am On May 25, 2010
abdulram:

Arsenal is not a profitable venture to invest in. Dangote is smart and would not do such a thing. Even roman abramovic is bitting his fingers cus chelsea is oweing him 800 million pounds.

Are you jealous or just plain ignorant? Do you know that Arsenal is one of the few big clubs that make big profits every year?
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by beewhyfocs(m): 1:55am On May 25, 2010
I thought it was only birthday that I share with Aliko Dangote but just realised he is also an arsenal fan like myself.

Very soon, i will share the Forbes ranking with him,
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by Faher(m): 2:04am On May 25, 2010
beewhyfocs:

I thought it was only birthday that I share with Aliko Dangote but just realised he is also an arsenal fan like myself.

Very soon, i will share the Forbes ranking with him,

I like your optimism, keep it up grin
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by beewhyfocs(m): 2:08am On May 25, 2010
Faher:

I like your optimism, keep it up grin

Thats the spirit! Its the law of attraction!

You attract in the direction of your dominant thoughts.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by osifred(m): 2:42am On May 25, 2010
whf
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by favouredjb(f): 7:25am On May 25, 2010
beewhyfocs:

Thats the spirit! Its the law of attraction!

You attract in the direction of your dominant thoughts.

true that,and to ur prayer abtsharing the forbes list,i say a big Amen,wrk towards it though, all da best
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by otokx(m): 8:14am On May 25, 2010
Good U - turn.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by babsmii(m): 9:02am On May 25, 2010
whatever!!! he should invest in anything he wants
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by jorem(m): 9:49am On May 25, 2010
I belief we'll soon know the truth!
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by jokingmary(m): 10:21am On May 25, 2010
Agbalanze:

Problem, how to spend it cheesy

plenty dollar cheesy

i think he is just in for business
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by Meldrick(m): 1:33pm On May 25, 2010
blank:

The guy say na lie o.

Nigerian Aliko Dangote denies interest in Arsenal stake

Dangote is reputed to be Africa's richest man
Nigerian businessman Aliko Dangote has denied planning a move to buy a 15.9% stake in Premier League side Arsenal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8701215.stm

Ha Ha!! He is a wise business man. He is not foolish to see a club like Arsenal and invest in. You go see fire still shook hand? Someone is selling her shares and you are aware of the troubles the club is experiencing. A trophylless club. Dangote you be sharp man.
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by ajelerojnr: 1:43pm On May 25, 2010
can this be true, why not he invest in any in a Nigeria league club
Re: Dangote Moves To Buy 16% Stake In Arsenal by wazobiang: 4:31pm On May 25, 2010
more power to dangote

(1) (2) (Reply)

UCL: Arsenal Vs Marseille (0 - 0) On 1st November 2011 / Guinness International Champions Cup Semifinal: Chelsea Vs AC Milan 2-0 RESULT / Cristiano Ronaldo Is Damaging Real Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.