Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,607 members, 7,809,219 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (40429 Views)

FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Not only on Thursdays. Mine was a Saturday.

many tanks for d reply. how much is d registration?
hope d certificate bears Federal Republic of Nigeria not the Local govt council ?
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by aribisala0(m): 8:42pm On May 17, 2018
Eaa247:

hope d certificate bears Federal Republic of Nigeria not the Local govt council ?
In future those who want such will have to go to Abuja.

Ikoyi is no loner FCT but just another LGA
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 17, 2018
Eaa247:

I didn't care if it had the stamp of Ojukwu on it as long as it would be acceptable by the US Embassy and they (US Embassy) said it would and it was.

It has been accepted also by various US government agencies here and also by USCIS as she is now a naturalized citizen. I forgot hwo much it cost but it was negligible.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I didn't care if it had the stamp of Ojukwu on it as long as it would be acceptable by the US Embassy and they (US Embassy) said it would and it was.

It has been accepted also by various US government agencies here and also by USCIS as she is now a naturalized citizen. I forgot hwo much it cost but it was negligible.

once again thanks alot for d info

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by solayemi(m): 9:01pm On May 17, 2018
aribisala0:

The background to this is known to true Lagosians

Many people wrongly assume that Lagos State was the former Federal Capital . NOT SO

Lagos City was the capital of Nigeria. Not Lagos State .

SO what is Lagos City?

First remember we have Ondo town,Sokoto,Enugu,Kano,Kaduna,Bauchi,Oyo all named after their states.

Lagos City existed before Lagos State was created and is essentially Lagos Island Victoria Island Ikoyi and Lagos Mainland up to Idi Oro . The rest of the state was in the Western Region while Lagos City was the FCT and had Ministers just like today one of whom was the father of President Yar'adua.
So when Lagos State was created in 1967 Lagos city remained as Federal Capital and eventually Ikeja was settled as State Capital
Ikeja ,Ikorodu Badagry and Epe were not part of the FCT they were in the Western Region under Awolowo who capitalized on the closeness to the port to develop Ikeja as an industrial hub. They were removed from the Western Region in 1967 and added to Lagos City to form Lagos State

It was normal for the FG to have marriage registries within the FCT i.e Lagos City not the entire state.

Now Lagos City is no longer the capital this is not neeeded.

That should expplain why this case is peculiar to Lagos state alone

This is Lagos kicking the government out of town.

The FG does not conduct mariages anyywhere else apart from Abuja
Thank you.
I have always explained this to my friends, but a whole lot of Nigerians are just too lazy to study and research, hence they pay unfairly for their ignorance.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 17, 2018
Thank God I don do mine since January 12 best day ever. Love u sweetheart.

3 Likes

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by solayemi(m): 9:07pm On May 17, 2018
Gabriel411:

Local government issue certificates only, which is even illegal and unconstitutional before now
When you don't know and you are been taught, be patient enough to learn.
What do you know about the constitution?
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Adayoung(f): 9:19pm On May 17, 2018
After Church wedding is it possible for one to get the court certificate. If it's possible how do we go about it.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by SirBunky85(m): 9:20pm On May 17, 2018
DanielOc:

The Bolded got me sha.....

Meanwhile, nice one from the state gov't ...
nonsense.dont we also bear christain as a name?rabble rouser
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:33pm On May 17, 2018
Eaa247:

is it only on Thursdays dat d LGAs register marriages pls?
want my cousin to register his
The ones I have observed they were held on Thursday. He/she must have come for enquiries before then, so they would pick a date for him/her.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by beloase: 9:34pm On May 17, 2018
DanielOc:

How about Christian, will it still get you?
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by DanielOc: 9:37pm On May 17, 2018
SirBunky85:
nonsense.dont we also bear christain as a name?rabble rouser
Oga!

Its a play na grin grin
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by solajacobs(m): 9:37pm On May 17, 2018
Can any lawyer in this forum interprete what effect this judgement has on all past wedding conducted at the ikoyi registry?

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by SirBunky85(m): 9:43pm On May 17, 2018
DanielOc:

Oga!

Its a play na grin grin
dont play with what might bring religious bashing here
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:44pm On May 17, 2018
sisisioge:
So I can do my own in Shomolu LGA ba? Bobo please take note grin
Yes now. Make we kon chop your rice on Thursday for Durosimi, Shomolu Local govt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 17, 2018
Please take a moment to pray for the safe return of Leah Sharibu.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Lordsview(m): 9:52pm On May 17, 2018
Gabriel411:
I hope the FG appeals, Ikoyi registry has done well in registering marriages, you don't want the process abused. Imagine if local government offices starts registering marriages, that's absurd.
Absurd you say,local govt.has always been in the business of registering marriages for so long

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by dataking: 9:53pm On May 17, 2018
DanielOc:

Got you, were you expecting Christian folami. Funny people.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by lakefist(m): 10:11pm On May 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It has no limitations to me, NONE.

It is a valid government-issued document and is accepted by international organizations. My Wife is here with me here in the US based on that document.

Don't mind them. It is lack of knowledge or call it ignorance. The least local Govt here in Ibadan register marriages and its valid anywhere in the world.

The mentality of Ikoyi registry has corrupted people's mind they forgot no limit apply to other registries.

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by lakefist(m): 10:17pm On May 17, 2018
Eaa247:

ofcourse, as a matter of fact the certificates they issue come from Abuja. I didn't go to registry cos my church is registered and have the power to issue certificates. I only go to local Gov secretariat to file notice of marriage for 3 weeks.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by lakefist(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2018
Adayoung:
After Church wedding is it possible for one to get the court certificate. If it's possible how do we go about it.

If your church is registered you will get the same certificate from Local Govt. But not all Churches are registered with Govt to conduct marriages hence you will need to go to registry.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by lakefist(m): 10:20pm On May 17, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Its the same certificate i have too but different local govt.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by eyinjuege: 10:34pm On May 17, 2018
Gabriel411:
I hope the FG appeals, Ikoyi registry has done well in registering marriages, you don't want the process abused. Imagine if local government offices starts registering marriages, that's absurd.

Many local government offices register marriages in Lagos, and the unions are valid by law. Or you think the thousands of weddings that occur monthly in Lagos is conducted by Ikoyi registry? Infact, only a small fraction is conducted there.
Most people that use Ikoyi do it for visa purposes as some believe the only recognised registry by the US consulate is Ikoyi but na lie .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by santricedupas(m): 11:40pm On May 17, 2018
abeg make they never close ikoyi registry ooo, all my friends don get married for there and na only me remain ooo. I wan carry my babe there when money don rest make me sef pose for there, I no go like to dey see Iyana ipaja, abule egba registry for my back ground pictures

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Apina(m): 11:50pm On May 17, 2018
The judgment passed became binding as of the moment it was given, it cannot be backdated. Marriages registered there remains valid by law since it was recognized by it until now.

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by DanielOc: 12:17am On May 18, 2018
SirBunky85:
dont play with what might bring religious bashing here

My bad
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Jemerson: 12:30am On May 18, 2018
Adayoung:

Nothing is impossible in nigeria
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Funjosh(m): 5:21am On May 18, 2018
Apina:
The judgment passed became binding as of the moment it was given, it cannot be backdated. Marriages registered there remains valid by law since it was recognized by it until now.

This is what I have been trying to see since.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by samsam2019: 10:15am On May 18, 2018
That's where I got married oo...... does that mean I'm single grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by judgedredd22(m): 10:40am On May 18, 2018
Koolking:
Does it mean all the marriages conducted in Ikoyi registry are null and void? If this is tenable, we will have a lot of common law couples

don't mind the mongers of false news, the declaration is that LG registry weddings are now to be valid just like the ikoyi registry.
ikoyi registry is still valid not nullified. It used to be autonomous, now the LGs are valid as well to conduct marriages.

read the article for yourself and do not give in to false interpretation of news.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by judgedredd22(m): 10:42am On May 18, 2018
Apina:

marriages in ikoyi registry are still valid, as well as LG registries now declared valid... get it?

the issue has been that ikoyi federal registry had autonomy for valid marriage certificates, now the LG's are valid too.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Apina(m): 11:53am On May 18, 2018
judgedredd22:

marriages in ikoyi registry are still valid, as well as LG registries now declared valid... get it?

the issue has been that ikoyi federal registry had autonomy for valid marriage certificates, now the LG's are valid too.
Thanks for adding that part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Save A Sister's Life.... Story Verified / What Would You Do If Your House-Girl Did This To Your Child? (Photo) / Oyibo Man Pounds Yam For His African Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.