Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL (40431 Views)

FG Debunks Reports That Marriages Conducted At Ikoyi Registry Are False / All Marriages Conducted at Ikoyi Registry Are Illegal - High Court / Court Did Not Order Closure Of Ikoyi Registry, Federal Govt Tells Lagos Govt. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by aribisala0(m): 12:01pm On May 18, 2018
judgedredd22:

marriages in ikoyi registry are still valid, as well as LG registries now declared valid... get it?

the issue has been that ikoyi federal registry had autonomy for valid marriage certificates, now the LG's are valid too.
No that is wrong

Ikoyi registry has to close unless they appeal
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Koolking(m): 12:11pm On May 18, 2018
judgedredd22:

don't mind the mongers of false news, the declaration is that LG registry weddings are now to be valid just like the ikoyi registry.
ikoyi registry is still valid not nullified. It used to be autonomous, now the LGs are valid as well to conduct marriages.

read the article for yourself and do not give in to false interpretation of news.

You don't seem to understand the narrative and the legal implication of the Federal High court decision. The court declared 'unconstitutional' the act of the Ikoyi registry, and therefore (to my understanding of legal decisions) means marriages conducted at the registry are unconstitutional (was never legally sanctioned and therefore never existed). I stand to be corrected though.

It's now left for the registry to go to supreme court to challenge the decision and seek further interpretation. I am watching in 3D

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by aribisala0(m): 12:21pm On May 18, 2018
Koolking:

You don't seem to understand the narrative and the legal implication of the Federal High court decision. The court declared 'unconstitutional' the act of the Ikoyi registry, and therefore (to my understanding of legal decisions) means marriages conducted at the registry are unconstitutional (was never legally sanctioned and therefore never existed). I stand to be corrected though.

It's now left for the registry to go to supreme court to challenge the decision and seek further interpretation. I am watching in 3D

I think you are taking it too far in saying marriages conducted there before now are uncnstitutional.

That only applies from the timeof the judgment.There is nothing in the judgment invalidating marriages already conducted.

Ikoyi registry existed because Ikoyi was part of the FCT and thaat ended in 1991 but the new constitution came into effect in 1999 and has been under dispute until now.
So anyone wanting a FederalRegistrymarriage has to go to Abuja

2 Likes

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by nadel12: 1:08pm On May 18, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nice one,
I hope this also nullifies all the marriages consummated there?

Especially Akpororo's wedding and that of Mama Kamarudeen's first daughter.
consummate kwa!!!. . conducted not consummated pls

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Koolking(m): 1:57pm On May 18, 2018
aribisala0:

I think you are taking it too far in saying marriages conducted there before now are uncnstitutional.

That only applies from the timeof the judgment.There is nothing in the judgment invalidating marriages already conducted.

Ikoyi registry existed because Ikoyi was part of the FCT and thaat ended in 1991 but the new constitution came into effect in 1999 and has been under dispute until now.
So anyone wanting a FederalRegistrymarriage has to go to Abuja

Marriage registration falls within the jurisdiction of local government as a residual list provided by the constitution. Federal government has no business registering marriages. I have not heard in any other states of federal marriage registry. Federal government usurped that power in Lagos state. It is illegality in all ramification.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 3:09pm On May 18, 2018
Interesting and Sarcastically developments always springing up in the Nigerian space grin
Check our signature in blue here below and you will be better enlightened.... You can contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 3:34pm On May 18, 2018
Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by fpeter(f): 5:24pm On May 18, 2018
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 18, 2018
lakefist:

ofcourse, as a matter of fact the certificates they issue come from Abuja. I didn't go to registry cos my church is registered and have the power to issue certificates. I only go to local Gov secretariat to file notice of marriage for 3 weeks.

are u saying that registered churches like Catholic or Anglican's marriage certificate are valid and replace the certificates being issued by d LGAs?
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by Gbengageorge: 10:40pm On May 18, 2018
Waoh, I love this forum. Its the most educative forum in Nigeria, as I speak, sorry type grin.

That registry is a PLC, and conduct almost 200 weddings per day usually Thursday and Friday, somebody mentioned being given a number as high as 170 something. I think that's why Lagos state is eyeing that possibility of income coming to Lagos coffers instead of FG.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by solidmyk(m): 10:45pm On May 18, 2018
Somatic:
See problem O! This judge wan cast all them marriage for visa and by pregnancy ni. This government dey use vex attacki all the subsidiaries of Yahoo Yahoo from all angles ni.
Same thought here, the court don cast esp for those bros wey dey carry oyinbo go wed for the place.
Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by lakefist(m): 12:42pm On May 21, 2018
Eaa247:

are u saying that registered churches like Catholic or Anglican's marriage certificate are valid and replace the certificates being issued by d LGAs?

They issue the same LGA certificates if they are registered.

1 Like

Re: Court Declares The Power Of Ikoyi Registry To Conduct Marriages In Lagos NULL by NigeriaIsDoomed: 2:18am On Jun 24, 2018
santricedupas:
abeg make they never close ikoyi registry ooo, all my friends don get married for there and na only me remain ooo. I wan carry my babe there when money don rest make me sef pose for there, I no go like to dey see Iyana ipaja, abule egba registry for my back ground pictures
Funny dude! We are on the same page bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Would You Do If Your House-Girl Did This To Your Child? (Photo) / Oyibo Man Pounds Yam For His African Wife / Man Knocks Off His Wife's Teeth After She Refused To Abort Their Baby (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.