Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? (1645 Views)

Pls What's The Name Of This Vehicle? / Guys pls what's the best car for uber asides corolla and big daddy for 800k / Guide To Buying A Nigerian Used Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by barikay: 4:53pm On May 18, 2018
I am planning of buying a used Camry 1999 -2003. I am a novice about car. What should I look out for? I need help because I don't want a car that will give me problems (going to mechanic everyday) I know Someone will advice me to go with a mechanic, that's sound good but you can go with a mechanic and still end up buying the wrong car. I was told buying a tokunbo car will not guaranteed buying a good car because some Nigerian car is even better. What actually are sign I look for?
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by olexjay(m): 5:46pm On May 18, 2018
The fact is that most used cars are put on sale after the current owner notice some issue with the car, most seller will tell you they're putting the car on sale cuz they need money and won't tell you if its having some issue but later after you take it home and after some month you will still noticing fault.

If u take a mechanic down for inspection this mechanic will only tell you it's good and have a sign with the seller whereby he would go back to have some shares.

I would say buying tokunbo is kinda ok and then asking the dealer to give you some duration guarantee and most importantly you make a purchase from a trusted dealer, request for the VIN and then you give someone to look it up for you, I know Cosplay is good in doing that (nairaland user)

Once you check the Vin and know the car formal condition, if it's accidental car and the accident is minor and don't affect the engine you can go for it.

I'm not saying all used cars are bad some are good and perfect than tokunbo just depending in the ex user how it's been used and maintained.

Wish you all the best bro

2 Likes

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by barikay: 7:11pm On May 18, 2018
olexjay:
The fact is that most used cars are put on sale after the current owner notice some issue with the car, most seller will tell you they're putting the car on sale cuz they need money and won't tell you if its having some issue but later after you take it home and after some month you will still noticing fault.

If u take a mechanic down for inspection this mechanic will only tell you it's good and have a sign with the seller whereby he would go back to have some shares.

I would say buying tokunbo is kinda ok and then asking the dealer to give you some duration guarantee and most importantly you make a purchase from a trusted dealer, request for the VIN and then you give someone to look it up for you, I know Cosplay is good in doing that (nairaland user)

Once you check the Vin and know the car formal condition, if it's accidental car and the accident is minor and don't affect the engine you can go for it.

I'm not saying all used cars are bad some are good and perfect than tokunbo just depending in the ex user how it's been used and maintained.

Wish you all the best bro
Thank u. You make sense there
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by fuckwell2080: 11:47pm On May 18, 2018
you have to be very careful.Going with a mechanic does not give you full guarantee that you will buy a good car.I once buy a car for 480k orobo Camry the mechanic did not do proper check on the car.engine and gearbox was in top condition but after buying the car the next day problem started with battery it refuse to start.I took to electrician he told me the battery is gone no need to charge again. I bought new one for 30k,the inner part of three tyres are gone not the outermost part.you can't even see the inner part of tyres when you want access the car except you loose the tyres.I bought three new tyres for 75k, then alternator 25k,then radiator after 8days it started problem I bought that.I spent close to 200k to put the car in good order.so just keep some money aside like 200k in case problem arise for ur Nigeria use car.That is the real truth so follow this advice it will help you.

2 Likes

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by olexjay(m): 9:15am On May 19, 2018
barikay:
Thank u. You make sense there
you're welcome bro
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Cosplay: 9:40am On May 19, 2018
fuckwell2080:
you have to be very careful.Going with a mechanic does not give you full guarantee that you will buy a good car.I once buy a car for 480k orobo Camry the mechanic did not do proper check on the car.engine and gearbox was in top condition but after buying the car the next day problem started with battery it refuse to start.I took to electrician he told me the battery is gone no need to charge again. I bought new one for 30k,the inner part of three tyres are gone not the outermost part.you can't even see the inner part of tyres when you want access the car except you loose the tyres.I bought three new tyres for 75k, then alternator 25k,then radiator after 8days it started problem I bought that.I spent close to 200k to put the car in good order.so just keep some money aside like 200k in case problem arise for ur Nigeria use car.That is the real truth so follow this advice it will help you.

Alternate perspective

Perhaps the mechanic deliberately misled you to get a repeat client?

2 Likes

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Sultty(m): 9:55am On May 19, 2018
Take a mechanic along. They are not all bad as portrayed cos I'm a testament of what they do and with just 2k commission I got a good ride, except u have what it takes go buy urself at ur risk
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Nobody: 6:04pm On May 19, 2018
if this is your first car, my advice will be to keep it simple:

go with a trusted mechanic friend to check car.

dont buy vehicles sampled at mechanic workshops.

check vehicle documentation, walk away from vehicles without particulars and custom papers.

a vehicle shud have at least 2 keys, don't deal if there's one key.

dont buy a vehicle without spare tyre or jack.

if it has ac the unit should cool even if it is low on gas, don't fall for the ac needs gas trick commonly seen on this forum

a leaking ac system is very expensive to repair you will drop the dash board.

finally trust ur gut.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by barikay: 10:03am On May 23, 2018
Appreciate all
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by millomaniac: 10:10am On May 23, 2018
quentin06:
if this is your first car, my advice will be to keep it simple:

go with a trusted mechanic friend to check car.

dont buy vehicles sampled at mechanic workshops.

check vehicle documentation, walk away from vehicles without particulars and custom papers.

if it has ac the unit should cool even if it is low on gas, don't fall for the ac needs gas trick commonly seen on this forum

a leaking ac system is very expensive to repair you will drop the dash board.

finally trust ur gut.

Lolz, some people sef
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 3:46pm On May 23, 2018
Cosplay:

Alternate perspective
Perhaps the mechanic deliberately misled you to get a repeat client?
Lol, that one sef dey. grin
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 3:57pm On May 23, 2018
barikay:
I am planning of buying a used Camry 1999 -2003. I am a novice about car. What should I look out for? I need help because I don't want a car that will give me problems (going to mechanic everyday) I know Someone will advice me to go with a mechanic, that's sound good but you can go with a mechanic and still end up buying the wrong car. I was told buying a tokunbo car will not guaranteed buying a good car because some Nigerian car is even better. What actually are sign I look for?
OP, my only tips to you are-
Avoid a Nigerian used Nissan at all costs (and probably Benz too).
Stick to Toyota and Honda to reduce chances of having problems.

2. If at all possible, buy from someone you know the car and its history, at least you'll have an idea of how the car has been performing and been maintained over time.

3. Generally avoid buying the cheapest car in the price range for the model you are buying. Buy cars that the minimum the owner will accept is the average price range for that model, or even slightly higher than average.
Cheap cars usually have major issues, irrespective of whatever the dealer may tell you about owner needing money urgently to travel or whatever.
The issues may not manifest at that exact point in time so may not be detected by the mechanic, (eg a recurrent problem that was just fixed a few days ago before selling, or error codes that were just cleared), but will show up sooner than later.

4. Pray and hope for the best. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 4:04pm On May 23, 2018
quentin06:

Why do you say this?
Just curious.
Agree with all your other points.
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Nobody: 8:48am On May 24, 2018
DonX001:

Why do you say this?
Just curious.

helps to know if the person selling is the original owner, how can you buy a car with only 1 key?
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 9:20am On May 24, 2018
quentin06:

helps to know if the person selling is the original owner, how can you buy a car with only 1 key?
The owner could have misplaced the other key nau. Is that not the reason car keys come in twos, so that if one is misplaced, you could still have a spare?
And depending on the owner's inclination, he may choose not to replace it if one key gets missing.

Although the other possible fear may be that the owner may just be hiding the spare key, and can just surface one day with his spare key and drive the car away from wherever you parked, maybe while you're inside the mall shopping with your family. shocked shocked grin grin

But that seems a bit farfetched in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Nobody: 10:23am On May 24, 2018
DonX001:

The owner could have misplaced the other key nau. Is that not the reason car keys come in twos, so that if one is misplaced, you could still have a spare?
And depending on the owner's inclination, he may choose not to replace it if one key gets missing.

Although the other possible fear may be that the owner may just be hiding the spare key, and can just surface one day with his spare key and drive the car away from wherever you parked, maybe while you're inside the mall shopping with your family. shocked shocked grin grin

But that seems a bit farfetched in my opinion.

but its possible.
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by barikay: 12:15pm On May 24, 2018
Contributions are helping me to decide. Thanks for contributing
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 3:21pm On May 24, 2018
quentin06:

but its possible.
Yea it is.
In this Naija wey we dey, anything is absolutely possible.
But whether the degree of possibility is enough to prevent you from buying a car you like, that's another ballgame entirely.

If you Google it, you'll find that buying a used car with 1 key is very commonplace globally, and pretty much standard practice, or at least acceptable practice, even from dealerships.

1 Like

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 24, 2018
DonX001:

Yea it is.
In this Naija wey we dey, anything is absolutely possible.
But whether the degree of possibility is enough to prevent you from buying a car you like, that's another ballgame entirely.

If you Google it, you'll find that buying a used car with 1 key is very commonplace globally, and pretty much standard practice, or at least acceptable practice, even from dealerships.

ok
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Nobody: 4:38pm On May 24, 2018
DonX001:

Why do you say this?
Just curious.

whats wrong with used nissans, all of them cant be bad, got to be specific, altimas and primeras can be trouble some but the highest expenditure may be to replace an engine or transmission.
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by DonX001: 9:04pm On May 24, 2018
quentin06:

whats wrong with used nissans, all of them cant be bad, got to be specific, altimas and primeras can be trouble some but the highest expenditure may be to replace an engine or transmission.

Altimas particularly, and I guess Maximas too.
Once they start getting old, they are prone to electrical issues and issues with all sorts of sensors, and generally don't tolerate any mishandling by Nigerian mechanics and owners well.
Unlike Toyotas and Hondas which are hardy and can still survive and function even with relatively poor treatment.
That is why they are popular in Naija.
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by tojahh(m): 10:04pm On May 24, 2018
Abeg if you have money just buy toks so that you can go back to the dealer and arrest his salesman when you begin see drama. Na so I buy Orobo 1999 380k with abeg, owner say him get another car that's why he's selling, AC only need gas, power Window one for back no dey work that's the only issue. My broda, I buy motor for February I sell am for April 140k to the mechanic.

I cannot die untop Orobo! Na so so wasiu rewire, Monday Electrician, Oshare vulcanizer, Aboy key starter, Ozioma engine, Ganiu AC man na come full my phone.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by computerglobal(m): 3:41am On May 25, 2018
olexjay:

request for the VIN and then you give someone to look it up for you

Run a VIN check and verify critical facts you need to buy a used car with confidence. Check the title status, previous odometer readings and the current market of the vehicle. Do as many checks as possible to ensure you are getting a legitimate offer.

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068 or sms vin and email address to +37257130685

Email : computerglobaltech at gmail dot com
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by computerglobal(m): 3:42am On May 25, 2018
tojahh:
Abeg if you have money just buy toks so that you can go back to the dealer and arrest his salesman we you begin see drama. Na so I buy Orobo 1999 380k with abeg, owner say him get another car that's why he's selling, AC only need gas, power Window one for back no dey work that's the only issue. My broda, I buy motor for February I sell am for April 140k to the mechanic.

I cannot die untop Orobo! Na so so wasiu rewire, Monday Electrician, Oshare vulcanizer, Aboy key starter, Ozioma engine, Ganiu AC man na come full my phone.

grin
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by Shalomc(f): 2:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
tojahh:
Abeg if you have money just buy toks so that you can go back to the dealer and arrest his salesman we you begin see drama. Na so I buy Orobo 1999 380k with abeg, owner say him get another car that's why he's selling, AC only need gas, power Window one for back no dey work that's the only issue. My broda, I buy motor for February I sell am for April 140k to the mechanic.

That your evil orobo.... Parked @ the mecho's place...no engine...on the way to Benin.

1 Like

Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by ogbiwa: 1:09am On Jun 02, 2018
tojahh:

Chai grin grin grin
Re: Pls What Will Be Your Criteria For Buying A Used Car? by tojahh(m): 8:00am On Jun 02, 2018
In fact my sister... That one pass evil, na resident evil. Chai!
Shalomc:

That your evil orobo.... Parked @ the mecho's place...no engine...on the way to Benin.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Toyota Corolla 2005 / 2010 Toyota Venza XLE - Used. Price: 3.6m (Keyless Start, Pano, Nav, DVD, V6) / *SOLD*SOLD**Standard 2007 Toyota Camry Spider - First Body, V4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.