Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,820 members, 7,820,885 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 (5792 Views)

Acura ZDX, Honda Crosstour And The BMW X5 / Best Engine Oil For Honda Accord EOD 4 Cylinder / 2019 BMW X5 Unveiled (Photos And Details) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 11:25pm On May 27, 2018
radautoworks:

We have your oil and FYI, we tend not to use Castrol for BMW in the USA. It's the economy brand.

^^^
Not quite sure I understand here.

Do you mean you use other oil brands (apart from Castrol) for BMW lube service in the US? If this is what you mean, could you give me names of these other brands?
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by AutoElectNG: 11:59pm On May 27, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^
Not quite sure I understand here.

Do you mean you use other oil brands (apart from Castrol) for BMW lube service in the US? If this is what you mean, could you give me names of these other brands?

Mobil 1
Shell Rotella
Valvoline

will most likely be on the list

I have used Mobil1 and Valvoline but I am yet to use Shell Rotella.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 12:24am On May 28, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

It doesn't have to be made in Nigeria. My uncle drives a BMW and he uses German adler and the car has been fine for 10 years now.

^^^
Interesting.

I did a google search on German Adler lubricants a while back but it doesn't seem to have a web presence. There is a company website with product range details etc. but zero mentions of the oil on BMW and Benz user forums undecided. Or have I been looking in the wrong places?
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by VolvoS60(m): 12:33am On May 28, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Mobil 1
Shell Rotella
Valvoline

will most likely be on the list

I have used Mobil1 and Valvoline but I am yet to use Shell Rotella.

^^^
Well known names there...

So far I have used Mobil for my vehicles - also used Castrol a couple of times. About to try out several other brands to see how they fare in my engines - very unscientific experiment but the results should be interesting.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by AutoElectNG: 12:40am On May 28, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^

So far I have used Mobil for my vehicles - also used Castrol a couple of times. About to try out several other brands to see how they fare in my engines - very unscientific experiment but the results should be interesting.

The brands I never got to try but really want to are Havoline and Royal Purple.

I just couldn't justify the importation cost when the exchange rate skyrocketed

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 12:42am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

This is issue with Nigerians we tend not to follow directions.. If the manufacture advice that castrol oil is recommended, why use something else bro .. In the states if you go against the manufacture advice, and the engine develop faults , the warranty will not cover it.. Are u telling me u know better than the car manufacturers? Smh ...

This is patently false information.

You might want to read up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

2 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 12:50am On May 28, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

The brand name does not matter. Castrol could be recommended because of a partnership between BMW and castrol. The recommended viscosity is more important than the brand. A premium brand with the recommended viscosity will do its job.

This.

I will not use Castrol in my lawnmower. It’s a 3rd grade product. From my testing it looses oil pressure quicker. No time for trash.

I will use local oil but in the right formula and weight.

The most important thing is a prudent interval.

I will carry USA oil, Mobil 1 and AMSOil but used as special request on high echelon vehicles. The go to oil will be a local one.
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 1:20am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This is patently false information.

You might want to read up on the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

The bottom line is to follow the manufacture advice to avoid complicated issues plain and simple.. Why do u want to make things difficult, when u can easily follow directions.. The statement I made also has to do with the Nigerian culture.. Bottom line we Nigerians don't follow directions, when it comes to maintance .. Look at out at the aviation industry

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 1:26am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

This.

I will not use Castrol in my lawnmower. It’s a 3rd grade product. From my testing it looses oil pressure quicker. No time for trash.

I will use local oil but in the right formula and weight.

The most important thing is a prudent interval.

I will carry USA oil, Mobil 1 and AMSOil but used as special request on high echelon vehicles. The go to oil will be a local one.

Google is your friend.. USA spec Castrol oil is one of the best in terms of value for money.. It can equally compete with mobil 1 . And much better than the trash that is imported into Nigeria. The bottom line is anything produce in the USA is quality assurance compare to African countries..
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 1:30am On May 28, 2018
AutoElectNG:

The brands I never got to try but really want to are Havoline and Royal Purple.

I just couldn't justify the importation cost when the exchange rate skyrocketed

Am sure if you look very well , u can get the import ones for an ok price.. Look at me for example I have a USA spec castrol oil 5quarts for 13500k ..now compare that price with the sub standard oil been sold in Nigeria.. My point is you just have to look for good deals for the imported products.. It will not drop on your lap..
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 1:34am On May 28, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^

USA spec Castrol is very good.. You get the best value for your money.. It is what I will be using for my fleet..
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 2:03am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

Google is your friend.. USA spec Castrol oil is one of the best in terms of value for money.. It can equally compete with mobil 1 . And much better than the trash that is imported into Nigeria. The bottom line is anything produce in the USA is quality assurance compare to African countries..

Google is not my friend, maybe it's yours.

Some of us create what Google captures in their database.

Castrol is simply low-grade oil. Someone else already said something similar.

Castrol with any of the other oil will work if it has the correct composition that meets the manufacturer's specifications and is of the correct weight. My issue is carrying it as if it's a premium oil. It's not.
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 2:06am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

The bottom line is to follow the manufacture advice to avoid complicated issues plain and simple.. Why do u want to make things difficult, when u can easily follow directions.. The statement I made also has to do with the Nigerian culture.. Bottom line we Nigerians don't follow directions, when it comes to maintance .. Look at out at the aviation industry

Of course, I follow manufacturers specification, not your convoluted specifications, and I have never had any failure related to oil in the past 35 years.

You only think I'm someone that you can teach about oil, vehicle maintenance and, manufacturers specifications. You're wasting your time.

No manufacturer will ever require that you use a specific brand in the USA. They can list their spec and weight, that is it.

You're also wrong about warranties. Even if you use the wrong oil and you have an oil related failure, you do not lose your warranty on the other components, only the oil-related ones.

One of the things that is also wrong with the Nigerian culture is people not taking time to do proper research.

2 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 2:09am On May 28, 2018
For anyone that is serious about learning about oil please go to https://www.bobistheoilguy.com, not Google.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 3:17am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Of course, I follow manufacturers specification, not your convoluted specifications, and I have never had any failure related to oil in the past 35 years.

You only think I'm someone that you can teach about oil, vehicle maintenance and, manufacturers specifications. You're wasting your time.

No manufacturer will ever require that you use a specific brand in the USA. They can list their spec and weight, that is it.

You're also wrong about warranties. Even if you use the wrong oil and you have an oil related failure, you do not lose your warranty on the other components, only the oil-related ones.

One of the things that is also wrong with the Nigerian culture is people not taking time to do proper research.

Well in that case , if you decide to buy $150k car .. And the manufacture suggest to use mobil or castrol edge.. And u go against the manufacture advice coz u know better.. That is on u than ..me I will follow what the manufacture advice.. They know better than me and you.. Same thing with transmission fluid I will follow their advice.. And also the review in castrol is also what I go by.. Castrol oil had very good review.. Who better to ask than people that have used the product itself.. Out of 300 review ,a proud gets almost 4 out of 5 stars wouldn't you take those reviews into account? Been in the states for long, Americans don't joke with their products at all.. If it is bad you will definitely hear about it.. Before deciding on castrol oil I did my research and read the reviews.. And for value for money I will go for castrol oil anytime and any day ..

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 3:22am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
For anyone that is serious about learning about oil please go to https://www.bobistheoilguy.com, not Google.

Smh .. So u telling me Google does not have the same information...
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 3:28am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

Well in that case , if you decide to buy $150k car .. And the manufacture suggest to use mobil or castrol edge.. And u go against the manufacture advice coz u know better.. That is on u than ..me I will follow what the manufacture advice.. They know better than me and you.. Same thing with transmission fluid I will follow their advice.. That is my bottom line

I haven't bought a $150K car, yet. But when I do I will use any branded oil as long as it meets their composition specification.

There are consumer laws that protect consumers from this sham. Only non-astute consumers still believe and peddle the scare tactics that went out decades ago.

The manufacturers may know more than you, not sure of your education or your profession, but they don't know more than me or the average Autoist.

We have engineers from Ford, Nissan, Tesla, Chevrolet in my automotive and motorcycle clubs and on tech days they amongst other engineers from Dunlop, Metzeler, etc that sometimes give us lectures.

I will trust them before I trust a generic forum in some 3rd world country that their base meal are salvaged and flooded vehicles.

I also routinely do business with top engine builders in Southern California. These are guys that run vehicles with over 1,000 horsepower and they do know a thing or two about proper oil.

That is my bottom line.

PS: I am also an AMSOil dealer in Southern California by the way, where I have been since July 1986 and continuously.

2 Likes

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 3:30am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

Smh .. So u telling me Google does not have the same information...

(Sitting here in disbelief) I'm not telling us anything, I'm telling you.
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 3:40am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I haven't bought a $150K car, yet. But when I do I will use any branded oil as long as it meets their composition specification.

There are consumer laws that protect consumers from this sham. Only non-astute consumers still believe and peddle the scare tactics that went out decades ago.

The manufacturers may know more than you, not sure of your education or your profession, but they don't know more than me or the average Autoist.

We have engineers from Ford, Nissan, Tesla, Chevrolet in my automotive and motorcycle clubs and on tech days they amongst other engineers from Dunlop, Metzeler, etc that sometimes give us lectures.

I will trust them before I trust a generic forum in some 3rd world country that their base meal are salvaged and flooded vehicles.

I also routinely do business with top engine builders in Southern California. These are guys that run vehicles with over 1,000 horsepower and they do know a thing or two about proper oil.

That is my bottom line.

Well sorry bro .. I am Base in the USA, and not to bust your bubbles at all ..I will take my chances with America automobile expert over Nigerians any time... the Americans auto tech are way more advice than the Nigerians any given day.. Now to show how way behind the Nigerians auto tech are ..how many Nigerian hybrid auto tech do we have .. How many Nigerian auto tech can fix electric cars? By the time the world is fully into electric cars ,what happens to the Nigerians auto tech.. The last time I was in Lagos, I saw rolls royce G-wagon expensive cars that I can't even afford.. The first thing that came to mind was do they have the right mechanic to fix these cars if they are broken down ...if yes ,do they enough mechanic.. Bottom line is that American auto tech are highly educated and they have to go to an auto tech school ..they earn a certificate for that.. But for the Nigerian part, is a different story.. Even if they earn a certificate for it in Nigerian ..how many of it is actually legit certificate.. That is my view bro , I can barely trust American mechanic at times, talk less of the Nigerian ones
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 3:42am On May 28, 2018
"Which Brand Should You Buy?

In short: It doesn't really matter. Pick between organic or synthetic, get the right weight, and then buy whatever's on sale at your local auto parts store.

All the brands you're likely to run into in the U.S. meet or exceed performance standards set by the American Petroleum Institute, or API. Therefore, any oil you buy will at least meet the standards required by your manufacturer."

https://www.dealnews.com/features/A-Guide-to-Selecting-the-Best-Motor-Oil-for-Your-Car/568237.html

There you go. Straight from the trusted and all-knowing Google undecided

I have a friend, an old automotive guy that's been building race engines since the 60's. Well, he swears by Coastal Oil. Coastal Oil for those not in the US are those oil that you find at the bottom of the shelve, cheap as shit. Like the article says, if it's available in the USA then it's sufficient. If it's available in Nigeria, if it's from Total, Mobil then it's good enough for me.
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 3:46am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

Well sorry bro .. I am Base in the USA, and not to bust your bubbles at all ..I will take my chances with America automobile expert over Nigerians any time... the Americans auto tech are way more advice than the Nigerians any given day.. Now to show how way behind the Nigerians auto tech are ..how many Nigerian hybrid auto tech do we have .. How many Nigerian auto tech can fix electric cars? By the time the world is fully into electric cars ,what happens to the Nigerians auto tech.. The last time I was in Lagos, I saw rolls royce G-wagon expensive cars that I can't even afford.. The first thing that came to mind was do they have the right mechanic to fix these cars if they are broken down ...if yes ,do they enough mechanic.. Bottom line is that American auto tech are highly educated and they have to go to an auto tech school ..they earn a certificate for that.. But for the Nigerian part, is a different story.. Even if they earn a certificate for it in Nigerian ..how many of it is actually legit certificate.. That is my view bro , I can barely trust American mechanic at times, talk less of the Nigerian ones

You are based in the US? Okay good. I live in California for the past 32 years.

There are very good dealerships in Nigeria that can attend to those who have the money to effect proper repairs. There are lots of returnees that have opened automotive repairs shops in Lagos and Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 3:58am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

There are very good dealerships in Nigeria that can attend to those who have the money to effect proper repairs. There are lots of returnees that have opened automotive repairs shops in Lagos and Abuja.

Well good for them .. For now I don't have confidence in anything high end auto related in Nigerian , u can have 1m returnees doing auto repairs in Nigeria.. What are the checks and balance that over see them.. Until there is proper structure put in place I won't trust any mechanic with any high end cars in Nigeria. People that do it , I wish them best of luck
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:04am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:
"Which Brand Should You Buy?

In short: It doesn't really matter. Pick between organic or synthetic, get the right weight, and then buy whatever's on sale at your local auto parts store.

All the brands you're likely to run into in the U.S. meet or exceed performance standards set by the American Petroleum Institute, or API. Therefore, any oil you buy will at least meet the standards required by your manufacturer."

https://www.dealnews.com/features/A-Guide-to-Selecting-the-Best-Motor-Oil-for-Your-Car/568237.html

There you go. Straight from the trusted and all-knowing Google undecided

I have a friend, an old automotive guy that's been building race engines since the 60's. Well, he swears by Coastal Oil. Coastal Oil for those not in the US are those oil that you find at the bottom of the shelve, cheap as shit. Like the article says, if it's available in the USA then it's sufficient. If it's available in Nigeria, if it's from Total, Mobil then it's good enough for me.
Which one is coastal oil ? I know castrol oil o ...but coastal oil I have no clue . The same link u posted, Google too has the same information.. I don't see ur point bro
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:16am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

That is my bottom line.

PS: I am also an AMSOil dealer in Southern California by the way, where I have been since July 1986 and continuously.

So you are Amsoil dealer in California ? I don't get it ..on you post u were asking how to install a propane tank in your house.. And you snap a picture of it on ur post.. That environment does not look like California to me ... I am not understanding o
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:23am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

By the way since you know of good dealership in Nigeria, pass me their information so that I can test it out
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 4:24am On May 28, 2018
dru23:
[/b]
So you are Amsoil dealer in California ? I don't get it ..on you post u were asking how to install a propane tank in your house.. And you snap a picture of it on ur post.. That environment does not look like California to me ... I am not understanding o

That is not a picture of my house in Nigeria or USA. I just used it to demonstrate what I needed to do.

This is a picture of my activities today.

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 4:31am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

Which one is coastal oil ? I know castrol oil o ...but coastal oil I have no clue . The same link u posted, Google too has the same information.. I don't see ur point bro

It's okay, others, maybe webmasters like me, may get my point about Google.

You can find Coastal oil at AutoZone for sure and maybe at Pep Boys. But for sure at AutoZone. I used it on my ride on mowers in a pinch.

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:32am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

That is not a picture of my house in Nigeria or USA. I just used it to demonstrate what I needed to do.

This is a picture of my activities today.

No problem my brother.. If the manufacture advice to use mobil or castrol, that is what I will use o. I don't have the time or patient to start looking for similar weigh level etc that the manufacture reccomdated . When I can easily stop at gas station, autozone or even Walmart to get the manufacture choice... I don't like stress.. Funny enough u can even order them on line self, cheaper and faster....
Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 4:33am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

By the way since you know of good dealership in Nigeria, pass me their information so that I can test it out

Gazzuzz and the other demeanors can provide the info on Lagos.

I am opening a boutique auto dealership in Ibadan and the info that I have is rather confidential market research.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:35am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It's okay, others, maybe webmasters like me, may get my point about Google.

You can find Coastal oil at AutoZone for sure and maybe at Pep Boys. But for sure at AutoZone. I used it on my ride on mowers in a pinch.

My brother this is not castrol oil .. Have been saying castrol oil all along o .. Coastal oil u posted I will never use it , coz I never heard about it ...

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by Nobody: 4:37am On May 28, 2018
dru23:

My brother this is not castrol oil .. Have been saying castrol oil all along o .. Coastal oil u posted I will never use it , coz I never heard about it ...

Are you pulling my leg here?

There's Castrol oil and there is Coastal oil. They are different. They are both just slightly better than junk to me. I use Mobil 1 exclusively in my garage.

1 Like

Re: Best Engine Oil For BMW X5 2004 by dru23(m): 4:41am On May 28, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Gazzuzz and the other demeanors can provide the info on Lagos.

I am opening a boutique auto dealership in Ibadan and the info that I have is rather confidential market research.

Wish you the best.. Till than I will stick to my Castrol oil and mobil 1 oil for now .. Both in terms of price and value for money is a no brainer for me .. Am not saying others brands are bad o. Upon my reviews castrol is very ok. And range rover, audi, Vw , reccomend them for their cars.. So on that note I will take my chances with them... good luck in your endeavours both present and future ones ..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Switching From Mineral Oil To Synthetic Caused Smoking From Exhaust / Mercedes Benz C200/c220 Or Just Stick With Good Old Toyota Brands ? / If You Like Spoilers, You'll Love These! Urrrrrgh!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.