Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,682 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Service Year Boulevard---from Camp Love To "Yes, I Do" - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Service Year Boulevard---from Camp Love To "Yes, I Do" (508 Views)

Guys How Can Take An Exit From Camp Without Medical Report / NYSC Ogun State: 96 Pregnant Women, Nursing Mother Excused From Camp / Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Service Year Boulevard---from Camp Love To "Yes, I Do" by ugofwesh: 7:19pm On May 22, 2018
This might just be NYSC and meeting point story rolled into 1 so it will be a long read. I apologise

Anyway to my NYSC story I hope I don’t bore you. It was 2010 and I was posted to kebbi state. Me, fresh lagos babe! I died and woke up!

I still go to my Facebook post of that period to laugh, as I announced to my friends how God was trying to punish me for something I had done wrong. Little did I know.
Anyway time to resume,I had to fly to sokoto and then do a 1 and half hour road trip to kebbi (no airport in kebbi state). Luckily for me I made 2 wonderful connections on that flight, another corper who was posted to kebbi and went on to become my closest buddy and flatmate for the NYSC year and a PPA hook up ( the Director- General of an NGO who struck up a conversation with my new friend and I) the conversation flowed effortlessly as she was a biochemistry graduate and I, a microbiologist and the NGO had to do with healthcare in communities. That was just God showing up for us really.
The man was elderly and wasn’t like he was interested in tapping ass or anything, was just genuinely interested in gisting with intelligent and good looking ladies.
Okay, so we arrived NYSC camp, oh Lord kebbi temperature was hot like mad! After all the rigors of registration and all what not my friend and I finally settled with a mattress and our new otondo kit in a dilapidated classroom around 1am, that was to be our hostel room with several other ladies for 3 weeks.

Chai falling hand tinz.
Me that used to form creme babe, omo I had to adjust sharp sharp. Bathing in the morning with freezing cold water, OUTSIDE! (it was February batch A and there was still harmattan , God forbid me use those bathrooms that looked like lizard shrines) and yet sunshine like burning fire from 10am. A truly confusing situation.
First day on parade ground I couldn’t cope. Soldiers wanted to use me to catch trips, asked me to frog jump cos I wasn’t matching well. Omo na him I start to form asthma oh. Start to dey hyperventilate. People were looking and pitying me, i even heard someone say eeya see ajebo (for my mind i laff, no be only ajebo, i dont just have the energy nor stamina for such stress)
Soldier just shout red cross come carry this girl oh. E be like she wan die.
Red cross came and wheeled me off parade ground, gave me glucose and cold something to drink, can’t even remember what it is. I used that opportunity to chill under the wonderful shade of a big tree.
That is how my guardian angel came in form of the red cross Leader and told me to join red cross since I don’t have stamina to be doing parade with them.
Hmmmm sharp sharp, I signed up with red cross and became vip!
No parade ground, no matching, once the soldiers come to wake us up at that ungodly hour of the morning, I wear my white otondo uniform grab my friend and off to the red cross room to continue our sweet sleep.
Oh how wonderful camp turned out for me. I had a good time, many guys were on my case, as a fine girl that I is na! I didnt send them cos i had one boyfriend in lagos that was shacking me then (yeye somebody) Lol.
I still hooked up with my platoon people and made a lot of good friends there,guys and ladies I am still in contact with till date. I ate only mami food. I ate camp food once,only once! And I got food poisoning, purged and vomited my life out!( my system is sensitive like that). Was on drip for several hours cause I had lost so much fluid. It wasn’t funny.
Variety nite (end of camp) my platoon forced me to contest for miss camp, I won! They gave me fridge. Lol . It was useful during my NYSC year. Plus thats how my hubby found me (he saw me in a picture with a friend of mine who also contested from another platoon and told her he liked me)

I was determined to relocate after camp but my friend convinced me to stay
(apparently she was a daddy’s girl all through uni and was looking forward to NYSC year as her year of freedom) I don’t know the kind of juju she used to talk me but I stayed plus we had kept in contact with that D-G of the NGO and God so good he worked our posting to his NGO which was a blessing cos not only did they pay well, we got a very wonderful working experience from there which I still refer to till date. We were posted to the same PPA in birnin-kebbi the capital. Go to this link for the full gist
http://nyscsocial.com/2018/05/20/from-nysc-meeting-point-to-yes-i-do

(1) (Reply)

80 NYSC Members Rescued / Join Other Corpers Traveling From Your State To Idthe State You Were Posted To / International Prospective Corp Members Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.