Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,195 members, 7,811,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? (14388 Views)

My Girl Friend Is About Going For NYSC Service / What's Your Take On 2-Year NYSC Service? / The NYSC 2019 Batch A Mobilization Time Table Is Finally Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by blazesam(m): 6:18am On Apr 02, 2018
No . I do not personally think so . The military service , I think , is quite a different thing from the type of programme that you have for the National Youth Service Corps .
Military service entails full military training and to give someone that kind of training , the person must pass through basic training in a military depot. In the case of the Nigerian Army, that kind of basic training lasts for nine months .
So , if you are going to convert the NYSC scheme into military service , it means the whole service year will almost be spent on military training alone . After nine months of this kind of training , a corps member will have only three months left to engage in active NYSC service year . What are you
going to do within the three months left ?
NYSC is a kind of civilian service with a bit of quasi military training at the outset to give the corps members proper orientation towards national service . It was not designed for full military service .
It should remain the way it is . If the government wants to beef up the training , fine ; it can do that . But with the economic situation , as it is now , I do not know whether Nigeria is even going to consider doing so . All of us are aware of what is happening in terms of the economic challenges.
I do not know if there is money around to do a number of things that the Federal Government wants to do. At least , they tell us that the money is not available and we have no reason to doubt them .
We shouldn ’ t talk of embarking on a new thing that will involve a lot of financial commitments .
What I believe that operators of the scheme can do is to keep updating the scheme , reviewing its objectives and commitment to the service such that it will continually be in keeping with the ever changing situation in the country. If you do that , you update it and you find that every year , it has something new to offer the country.
That is what I think we should do. It should restrict itself to what it was designed to do from the very beginning. I will however suggest that it should be constantly updated to address modern challenges in order to remain relevant. • Col . Peter Obasa ( A former Director -General , National Youth Service Corps )
If we convert the NYSC service year to military service , is the government going to arm them ? Are you going to train them in the handling of weapons ? To me, the talk about converting service year to military year is not reasonable .
The suggestion is not reasonable. The intention of the NYSC when it was created was to promote unity and national integration in the country and I think the scheme is still serving that purpose .
But there is no rationale behind converting the service year to a year of military training. This is because you are not going to arm them and secondly, this will negate the aim and objective of setting up the scheme .
Now , looking at the safety of corps members , you will recall that the NYSC authorities too have taken a decision not to post corps members to volatile areas. They now post them to areas nearest to their communities. In the interim and until the country stabilises , I think the NYSC should maintain the policy of posting corps members to non - volatile communities.
The NYSC must continue to consider the welfare of the corps members
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by emmie14: 6:22am On Apr 02, 2018
Military service is better like Israel

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by mysteriousman(m): 6:41am On Apr 02, 2018
Hmm this idea is a good one but in the light of our domestic security challenges its a no for me

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by sonofthunder: 6:44am On Apr 02, 2018
It could be optional.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Sctests: 6:47am On Apr 02, 2018
So that you can ship southern christian graduates to your boko-infested region and get them killed?

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by SarkinYarki: 6:54am On Apr 02, 2018
Sctests:
so that you can ship southern christian graduates to your boko-infested region and get them killed.

Unfortunately that's how it will end up

39 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Engraced2020: 6:56am On Apr 02, 2018
Just as it is done in several foreign countries. What we should be talking about should be Nigeria Govt increasing the wage of Corpers from the meagrely 19.8k to something reasonable.

Please check my signature if you are a blogger, freelancer, student, and online marketer

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Felixalex(m): 6:56am On Apr 02, 2018
No, it should rather be scrapped. People have always clamoured for its scrapping, but the need for that is even more evident in our present condition..

Reasons:

I heard someone saying orientation would not hold in Taraba, Benue, Adamawa, these states are now joining those North East States that do not hold orientation for corpers (all because of security challenges) very soon only 10 States go de conducive for NYSC with the growing rate of insecurity...

Secondly, the meager #19,800 cannot sustain an average Nigerian youth, especially ones who finds themselves in an environment where they have to fend for themselves entirely, no family, no relatives. And most of the organizations n companies that serve as PPAs do not pay corpers, when they do, they pay #5,000 at most.

But then again, IF the scheme is scrapped, people will lose their jobs and we the critics of this administration will still lament about how buhari has made things worse for people...

But if all NYSC staff (not contracts beneficiaries) can be infused into ministry of sports and youth development, then it should be scrapped.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by CastedAyo: 6:56am On Apr 02, 2018
If they do this, either

I leave this country

Or become a dropout

16 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Omonoba1: 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
No, NYSC should be scrapped in its entirety.. Such a waste of time!

22 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
So that APC government will sacrifice the lives of young Nigerian youths fighting "their boko haram" like our poor soldiers are being wasted on a regular?

No. Not after Nigerian parents toiled to send their kids to school. Scrap the whole thing already.

5 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Ellabae(f): 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
No for me. It's gonna do more harm than good. Good morning guys.

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Tolzeal(m): 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
Which one is Military Service Again?
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by PigMeat: 6:57am On Apr 02, 2018
Don't ridicule our already ridiculed Nigerian army.

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Adicsonbaba(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2018
I will be thru in 10days so dey can change it to anything that pleases them
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by PHfinest(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2018
Let's ask ifa
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Donald3d(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2018
Are we at war ?

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by hucienda: 6:59am On Apr 02, 2018
It should.
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by jaychubi: 6:59am On Apr 02, 2018
Nonsense thread

You asked senseless question n answered it.
Pls leave nysc d way it is, u can only talk of increasing d allawee for d younger ones

2 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by directonpc(m): 6:59am On Apr 02, 2018
And we will all be ex military!

The good, the bad and the ugly will use their skills and experience to do good, bad and ugly after service.

2 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by adjoviomole(m): 6:59am On Apr 02, 2018
Op take time o. Even the NYSC program is faulty, you wan add military join. Who wan die?

5 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by dhardline(m): 7:01am On Apr 02, 2018
Nope. Instead they should be trained as paramedics which is

one area Nigeria lacks in so much. If we had enough

paramedics it will help reduce the number of deaths in car

accidents and other areas. Cause in most cases when this

accidents occur nobody close by has any idea on what to do in

order to keep an injured man from bleeding out and in stable

condition before the arrival of an ambulance.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by etzmiezbee(f): 7:02am On Apr 02, 2018
adjoviomole:
Op take time o. Even the NYSC program is faulty, you wan add military join. Who wan die?
I 1da ooo
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Olalan(m): 7:02am On Apr 02, 2018
It would be a disaster, a program that is managed poorly already
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by PigMeat: 7:03am On Apr 02, 2018
Don't ridicule our already ridiculed Nigerian army.
U want make army go f4ck female corpers kill? Those handsome male corpers wey no dey gree female corpers rest, army go beat them kill out of jealousy.

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 02, 2018
It's a well conceived idea. 6 months military training in martial arts, ammunition handling and other menus will go a long way in gearing up graduates to real life of self defence against kidnappers, armed robbers, and fulani herdsmen. It could also serve as the selection criteria for those that will be interested in military short-service, Police, and other paramilitary recruitments

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by thundafire: 7:04am On Apr 02, 2018
Does extra large ladies and male will dey cope and no more catching little gals in secondary schools
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by cosmatika(m): 7:05am On Apr 02, 2018
NYSC should be scrapped. It has outlived its usefulness

2 Likes

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Joelsblog(m): 7:05am On Apr 02, 2018
If that's the case Bleep NYSC I am not doing it... I will not come n kill myself
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by missterious(f): 7:05am On Apr 02, 2018
emmie14:
Military service is better like Israel

Israel is at war. We're not
Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Foodforthought: 7:07am On Apr 02, 2018
Nigerian Govt always looking for distractions. Countless graduates are unemployed. They are supposed to concern themselves with creating jobs and empowering youths not forcing people to undergo military training. For those saying it is done in several foreign countries, maybe you should go live in those countries. Nigeria does not measure up in many things abeg

1 Like

Re: Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? by Olukokosir(m): 7:07am On Apr 02, 2018
mk dem kuku say immediately u finish skool, u go fight boko haram small

if dem post u go north, u go carry gun nd face shekau

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Batch B 2013 Corpers Posted To Oyo State, Let's Meet Here / NYSC Defends Online Registration / NYSC: The Most Favorable Place For Medical Doctor To Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.