Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,563 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians (22119 Views)

Strange Sexual Traditions That Are Still Practised In Africa / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / 7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by alsudaes1(m): 6:05pm On May 23, 2018
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 6:06pm On May 23, 2018
greatjoshy:
That's true.
Add this: every bride must respect her in-laws.... Infact almost worship them.....
Shout UP NEPA whenever light comes

Guy! it has become a tradition to shout up NEPA when there is light oooo.

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by chendstone01(m): 6:06pm On May 23, 2018
On gen by 7pm and off 10pm after network news

some fathers dy on the gen only for their own benefits grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by psucc(m): 6:07pm On May 23, 2018
Na the generator own na bad! Laugh want killing me fa!

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by ayourbamie: 6:07pm On May 23, 2018
Add UP NEPA

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by JONNYSPUTE(m): 6:09pm On May 23, 2018
Meat or fish are usually eating at the end of meal.

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 23, 2018
OP, you didn't add "white wedding" after traditional.

Introduction
traditional marriage
court
White(church) wedding

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by HotMata: 6:15pm On May 23, 2018
The many wedding own is what I really find as crazy and unnecessary. It i even 4 not three....
1. Introduction
2. Court
3. Traditional
4. Church/Mosque

and then Reception again!!!...
choi! Naijawe hail grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Mikeross62: 6:15pm On May 23, 2018
Its now I even know what omugwo is,someone told me in church one time couldn't even understand it,thought she was mocking the person we were talking about.Lol.learning never finishes.

Ebay checkout available

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Mikeross62: 6:15pm On May 23, 2018
Its now I even know what omugwo is,someone told me in church one time couldn't even understand it,thought she was mocking the person we were talking about.Lol.learning never finishes.

Ebay checkout available...

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Abdul3391(m): 6:17pm On May 23, 2018
you didn't add cooking rice on Sundays and Christmas day

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by musicwriter(m): 6:18pm On May 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Colonization didn’t change Nigerians’ tradition that much

It changed a lot!.

What you need to change a culture is not what you listed. What you need to change or even create a new culture are (1). Language (2). Education (3). Religion. These are the core aspects of culture that should never be changed because if someone give them to you, you will use it to teach yourself how to become someone else.

What you see today is just a shadow of ourselves, and it would keep eroding into the future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 23, 2018
Eating pap and yam

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by BOLDIM(f): 6:43pm On May 23, 2018
7 Switch On Generator 7pm at Night

And put it off by 9pm ; grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by payvibes(m): 6:44pm On May 23, 2018
cooking of rice on sundays

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Oritzy: 6:46pm On May 23, 2018
EasterDell:
What of the tradition of asking the obvious?

- you done come?
- you dey eat?
- na your eye be this?

+I dey go undecided
+I dey shit
+No na my nose shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by ready2learn: 6:52pm On May 23, 2018
7 Switch On Generator 7pm at Night

Most people that use generator in Nigeria always on it by 7pm at night. It has become a tradition among most Nigerians and if you go to some neighbourhood, the sound of generators will almost deafen your ear.

grin na true.

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 7:06pm On May 23, 2018
EliteBiz:
Op forgot some Traditions
8. Nigerians will always visit beer parlor even if the Economy is dead
9. Nigerians will never stop Requesting for U.S Visa even if Trump calls dem Scum
10. Nigerians will always fight and abuse each other, but they are Avengers and Justice League on Social media
11. Nigerians will always React to any news, Good o, bad ooo
12. Nigerians will forever blame the Government for everything even their own personal Crimes
13. Nigerians will always start their sentence to a stranger with sorry o, "Abeg no vex o, Shey............
14. Nigerians will always Abuse each other at the ATM Queue

I am proud to be a Nigerian tho, Cos am High

Very correct bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by somegirl1: 7:08pm On May 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:

#2 Omugwo ( Otherwise known as After birth care)

Omugwo is another peculiar tradition among Nigerians. It is the care a mother-in-law gives to a daughter-in-law after birth. Although it is common among the Igbos, but it has cut across all tribes in Nigeria. In fact, there are instances when both couples mother will be around for an Omugwo
Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/05/23/7-traditions-peculiar-nigerians/

This is inaccurate. Omugwo, in Igbo culture is a period in which a mother provides post-partum care to her own daughter, which makes more sense than mother-in-law taking care of daughter-in-law.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 7:11pm On May 23, 2018
somegirl1:

This is inaccurate. Omugwo, in Igbo culture is a period in which a mother provides post-partum care to her own daughter, which makes more sense than mother-in-law taking care of daughter-in-law.

Okay! But most part of the country, mother in laws have taken over ooo
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by somegirl1: 7:36pm On May 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Okay! But most part of the country, mother in laws have taken over ooo

That's not Omugwo. I'm sure other cultures have a name for the practice of mother-in-law taking care of daughter-in-law

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Alejandro2040: 8:18pm On May 23, 2018
Divay22:
Eating rice every Sunday (that one na family ritual)

LMAO, i swr lyk sey na curse.
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Valdavies007: 8:25pm On May 23, 2018
7pm Generator slay me lol
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Divay22(f): 8:29pm On May 23, 2018
Alejandro2040:

LMAO, i swr lyk sey na curse.
It's just default setting..
Before i and my bro would tell my mum no rice this Sunday abeg ,rice is already prepared, if you like no eat. Sometime i have to cry for noodles just to escape rice (but still take it as dinner) grin
It's annoying o
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by charlsecy(m): 8:59pm On May 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:
It is the care a mother-in-law gives to a daughter-in-law after birth
No, it is the care a mother gives her married daughter after delivery.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by EVARISTOMONARCH: 10:25pm On May 23, 2018
DON'T MISS THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY

Bet along while watching the 2018 world cup.

Without a NAIRABET account you are really missing out.

If you don't have a nairabet account and you wish to have inbox me with this email (
evaristomonarch@gmail.com ) for link to register and I will fund you NGN250 immediately for you to start enjoying the best betting experience .

Spread the good news to your family and friends.
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Smarkie: 10:50pm On May 23, 2018
what of being acustomed with bad governance
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by NegusNegaste(m): 11:03pm On May 23, 2018
Yinxies:
3 weddings

The couple will just be spending money endlessly

No wonders we have so many single ladies

Lol.... Yinka u no well.
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by NegusNegaste(m): 11:07pm On May 23, 2018
musicwriter:

It changed a lot!.

What you need to change a culture is not what you listed. What you need to change or even create a new culture are (1). Language (2). Education (3). Religion. These are the core aspects of culture that should never be changed because if someone give them to you, you will use it to teach yourself how to become someone else.

What you see today is just a shadow of ourselves, and it would keep eroding into the future.

Very true... I was wondering where he got the idea that Nigerian culture didn't change much, yet he listed 3 marriage rights instead of 2.

Most Nigerians who are "holy" have totally rejected traditional marriage institutions in favour of the imported ones.

Too bad.
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by JayPeeOham: 6:20am On May 24, 2018
Nigerians will still buy fuel even if it is N2000 per litre
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by desmondokonkwo(m): 6:43am On May 24, 2018
Newyamfestival
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 7:24am On May 24, 2018
JayPeeOham:
Nigerians will still buy fuel even if it is N2000 per litre

I trust Naija for that. Irrespective of the price tag of an item, they will always buy it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From Idoma International Carnival 2017 / Why Palace Is Yet To Officially Announce Ooni Of Ife’s Death / Ex-ghanaian President, John Dramani Mahana Pays Courtesy Visit To Ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.