Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:30 PM

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (31933 Views)

Igala Language In Anambra State. / Alj Harem Studies On The Olukumis (old Yoruba Language) In Delta Ugbodu / Be Proud To Speak Hausa Language Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by jayzeeguy: 6:34pm On May 26, 2010
Hi,

Am clueless to why there is Special (International) Hausa Radio channel in England (BBC World Service), Germany (Dutch Welle), China (Hausa Radio) and now France (Hausa RFI) ? not mentioning Libya, Iran and some other countries, why not the other Nigerian tribes e.g. Yoruba, Igbo etc.

Anybody with the clue ?
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 26, 2010
why is it worrying you?

will having it in other languages put more milk in your tea?
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by jayzeeguy: 9:02pm On May 26, 2010
@ tpia,

winkKai soko, in baka sani ba kai shiru lipsrsealed, I still looking for answers,

Point I want to make here is, this people really realized something with that language, its culture of something else, wanted to see if anybody know that, am not jealosing it, I like it, but why not the rest.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by jayzeeguy: 9:03pm On May 26, 2010
tpia.:

why is it worrying you?

Nothing is worrying bro.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by AndreUweh(m): 9:27pm On May 26, 2010
jayzee_guy:

Hi,

Am clueless to why there is Special (International) Hausa Radio channel in England (BBC World Service), Germany (Dutch Welle), China (Hausa Radio) and now France (Hausa RFI) ? not mentioning Libya, Iran and some other countries, why not the other Nigerian tribes e.g. Yoruba, Igbo etc.

Anybody with the clue ?
Reasons, The Hausa-Fulani are normadic. While in their grazing fields, their only source of information is the BBC or foreign services. 2nd, To be updated on times of the day as some of them do not wear wrist watches nor are they literate enough to interprete the times in the watches.This foreign stations provide services to normads who do not understand english language.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by SLIGHT(m): 10:06am On May 28, 2010
Thanks u said radio broadcast not tv channel, if u dnt knw hausas use radio more than any other tribe

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Abuloma80(f): 10:57pm On Jun 04, 2010
Quote from: tpia.

Its a long time observation, needing a sound and logical answer, having it in other languages will certainly not put more milk in our tea, but knowing why its being done in Hausa, will add cultural and significant value to the language.

Quote from: Andre Uweh.
Reasons, The Hausa-Fulani are nomadic. While in their grazing fields, their only source of information is the BBC or foreign services. 2nd, To be updated on times of the day as some of them do not wear wrist watches nor are they literate enough to interpret the times in the watches.This foreign stations provide services to nomads who do not understand English language.

There are many other Tribes that do not wear wrist watches nor understand English language, yet these Foreign stations don't transmit in those languages, so why in Hausa? That was the simple question jayzee_guy asked angry
This is quite a good honest Question, over 5 Foreign stations transmitting in Hausa for decays. Why? for you Andre Uweh to give your above stated is unbecoming from any sound person.

Lets have more of the banters from "the literate ignorants". How on earth could someone give above as answers to the observation or question? This is one of the big and long time problem, from this part of the World, BIAS AND/OR DELIBERATE LIES TO INSOLTE.

jayzee_guy, Sha kurimin ka kazuna, ita wanna doluwar kuma ma bata amsar da ya gamsu da dolancin ta. Allah saka maka da alkhairi da wannan tambayan da kuma fadakarwa. Zan tuntube ka da jawabi mai gamsar wa bayan binci ken da zan yi insha Allah. Bissalam.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by AndreUweh(m): 11:02pm On Jun 04, 2010
@Abuloma. You have made no point as you have not answered the poster. Sorry.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Tatase(f): 12:30pm On Jun 05, 2010
@ topic,

It's because Hausa is really widely spoken across West Africa even up to Sudan (I think it's spoken in something like 7 or 8 countries total). There's a large Hausa population in Nigeria, and I think in Niger like more than half the population is Hausa, for example. The Hausa services are not just for Nigeria, they broadcast across Africa.

And, although I don't think there are as many Hausa people in the other countries, because it's spoken in several countries, it makes sense for an international broadcaster to have a service in Hausa which appeals to people in more than one country.

5 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Hadone(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2010
SLIGHT:

Thanks u said radio broadcast not tv channel, if u dnt knw hausas use radio more than any other tribe

Please, add in the world and i will still agree with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by SLIGHT(m): 8:08pm On Jun 12, 2010
ok u got it - in the world.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by engine007: 1:53am On Jan 16, 2011
The Hausa language is an international language spoken by not only most Northern Nigerians, it is spoken in countries like Niger, Chad, Senegal, Cameroon just to mention a few. That been said I think you would now have an idea why so many radio station broadcast the language, its generally because of the very many listeners.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by JamiluMaga(m): 3:17pm On Aug 16, 2011
The British Broadcasting Corporation(BBC) gave reasons for broadcasting in Hausa Language and other West African languages.
Deputy Editor of BBC Focus Africa, Bilkisu Labaran said the corporation chose to broadcast in Hausa language because it is widely spoken and an effective means of getting across to the people in Nigeria and West Africa. "The BBC broadcast in Hausa language because it is widely spoken in West Africa just like Swahili is widely spoke in East Africa. And because of the nature of our programme, it is impossible to run our programme in every Nigerian language. It is not about Nigeria’s ethnic complexities, it is basically about reaching people of West Africa and across, It is about reaching the largest number of people with our limited resources,’’ she said.

Culled: Daily trust
http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23098:why-we-broadcast-in-hausa-language-bbc&catid=1:news&Itemid=2

3 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by NegroNtns(m): 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2011
Good question.

Its the market, the language has grown and spread politically for several reasons but it should serve as a model and a moral lesson for those who continue to shun their mother tongue in preference for European languages.

Hausas don't gratify English or any European language. Even the ones that are literate and educated hardly speak Eanglish amongst themselves. This has earned them respect.

The only way you will earn whiteman respect is to first respect and be proud in your own identity.

Good for Hausa language! If they continue they could win a political argument to make Hausa the national language for Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by pleep(m): 12:05am On Aug 17, 2011
They use the Hausa language in these programs because Hausa is perhaps the most effective language in breaking the Anglophone and Francophone African language barrier. The language can be understood by people all over west Africa, regardless of weather they are in an English speaking or French speaking country.

This broadens their listeners.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Emmyk(m): 12:04am On Aug 18, 2011
pleep:

They use the Hausa language in these programs because Hausa is perhaps the most effective language in breaking the Anglophone and Francophone African language barrier. The language can be understood by people all over west Africa, regardless of weather they are in an English speaking or French speaking country.

you speak it?
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by pleep(m): 12:38am On Aug 18, 2011
^no, i only speak english  lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Emmyk(m): 12:56am On Aug 18, 2011
pleep:

. My bad. I dont speak it.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by pleep(m): 1:41am On Aug 18, 2011
When i said that i don't mean everyone in west Africa can speak it. i just mean you can find speakers in Nigeria, ghana, niger, berkina faso, sudan, chad etc.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by dagboss(m): 9:18am On Aug 24, 2011
The reason is simple and i think two or three people have said it in their posts: these radio stations use Hausa Language because of its wide pread speakers all over West Africa and let nobody put up any airs of superiority of the Language or other reasons like that some tribes have abandoned their languages for English. BBC and other international Radio Stations have other Language services Like Russian, Chinese, Swahili etc etc. The important underlining factor is that these stations want to reach the widest audience as possible around the world.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by owobokiri(m): 8:31am On Aug 29, 2011
They also use it to knock our big heads together. For instance during the Miss world peagant in Abuja, them BBC ran some inflamatory reports about the event and within hours, our Aboki brethrens were up in arm with curved Yemeni daggers and rugged cudgels to match. The event was cancelled and tossed around British owned businesses in SA till it ended in London. the BBC also used their Hausa service to define the coups of 1966 and Nigeria has never been same ever since as progroms followed. I guess fulanis are spread more across west Africa than Hausas, though a fulani can speak hausa but a huasa may not speak fulani in northern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 22, 2012
This thread should be immortalised
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by assalis2020: 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Reasons, The Hausa-Fulani are normadic. While in their grazing fields, their only source of information is the BBC or foreign services. 2nd, To be updated on times of the day as some of them do not wear wrist watches nor are they literate enough to interprete the times in the watches.This foreign stations provide services to normads who do not understand english language.

This is bullshit, absolute nonesense. Tell me a local language in the whole Africa apart from Swahili that have people speaking it widely as Hausa? For your information, thousands and millions of non-hausas such as yoruba, igbos, tiv, efik e.t.c are understanding the language. Can you tell me how many people understand your language outside your tribesmen and women? So, these international radio stations want to reach people to as many as possible.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Belloladan(m): 2:11pm On Feb 20, 2013
I am proud to be a Hausa man "We should not botherd to throw stone to trees that has no seeds" Sincerly, i dont think this is the right thing to be wasted time on, this decision was made by international media for choisen hausa language to disminate thier imformation within the African continient and lastely they knew better the reason why? they did so!
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by gide: 9:17am On Feb 21, 2013
owobokiri: They also use it to knock our big heads together. For instance during the Miss world peagant in Abuja, them BBC ran some inflamatory reports about the event and within hours, our Aboki brethrens were up in arm with curved Yemeni daggers and rugged cudgels to match. The event was cancelled and tossed around British owned businesses in SA till it ended in London. the BBC also used their Hausa service to define the coups of 1966 and Nigeria has never been same ever since as progroms followed. I guess fulanis are spread more across west Africa than Hausas, though a fulani can speak hausa but a huasa may not speak fulani in northern Nigeria.

who told you all fulani speak hausa? i know fulani that cant speak a word of hausa. even my friends kids that were brought up in phc cant speak hausa, they only speak fulfulde and english.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Belloladan(m): 3:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Weather they understand hausa or not dose'nt matter you can not separate fulani and hausa
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by jibora(m): 5:54am On Jul 10, 2014
Hi,
The reason why Hausa is spoken by many foreign radio station is mainly because of it is the biggest language spoken by most people in Africa.
Unlike Igbo, Yoruba hausa is the universal language in northern Nigeria, it is widely spoken in south east and west.
Also hausa is widely spoken in Niger, chad, cameroun, Liberia and most west African countries.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 3:12pm On Jul 23, 2014
assalis2020:

This is bullshit, absolute nonesense. Tell me a local language in the whole Africa apart from Swahili that have people speaking it widely as Hausa? For your information, thousands and millions of non-hausas such as yoruba, igbos, tiv, efik e.t.c are understanding the language. Can you tell me how many people understand your language outside your tribesmen and women? So, these international radio stations want to reach people to as many as possible.

Pulaar/Fulfulde
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2014
gide:

who told you all fulani speak hausa? i know fulani that cant speak a word of hausa. even my friends kids that were brought up in phc cant speak hausa, they only speak fulfulde and english.

Very true
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2014
Belloladan: Weather they understand hausa or not dose'nt matter you can not separate fulani and hausa

I don't know about that one man, I understand that in Nigeria you may be correct. But in other countries where there are a high presence of Fulani people you may not be so correct.
Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 27, 2014
jibora: Hi,
The reason why Hausa is spoken by many foreign radio station is mainly because of it is the biggest language spoken by most people in Africa.
Unlike Igbo, Yoruba hausa is the universal language in northern Nigeria, it is widely spoken in south east and west.
Also hausa is widely spoken in Niger, chad, cameroun, Liberia and most west African countries.

When the Hausa radio stations like BBC Hausa was created, Hausa wasn't nearly as popular, even in Northern Nigeria as it is today.
so you can't argue that the universality of Hausa in the North is what favoured the creation of international mass media to broadcast in this language. Inffact the fact that BBC and co chose to broadcast in hausa is part of what has facilitated the expansion of the language, and not the other way round (i.e Hausa being chosen for universality)

these foreign media outlets, are among the people contributing the most to the dearth and sublimation of indigenous cultures and languages in Nigeria....... the same way the British were.. and still are promoting Swahili- which has led and continues to lead to the mass extinction of many cultures in Tanzania. .... or like they did in their own backyards to languages like Irish Gaelic (Gaelige) and Celtic........ Thank god Fulanis are too widespread for all that rubbish.
for those smaller tribes with limited geographical depth--- say bye bye to all of them in 50 years time (if not even less sef)

------------
@Fulaman198 thanks for calling me to the other thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? by Fulaman198(m): 4:46pm On Jul 27, 2014
Bororojo:

When the Hausa radio stations like BBC Hausa was created, Hausa wasn't nearly as popular, even in Northern Nigeria as it is today.
so you can't argue that the universality of Hausa in the North is what favoured the creation of international mass media to broadcast in this language. Inffact the fact that BBC and co chose to broadcast in hausa is part of what has facilitated the expansion of the language, and not the other way round (i.e Hausa being chosen for universality)

these foreign media outlets, are among the people contributing the most to the dearth and sublimation of indigenous cultures and languages in Nigeria....... the same way the British were.. and still are promoting Swahili- which has led and continues to lead to the mass extinction of many cultures in Tanzania. .... or like they did in their own backyards to languages like Irish Gaelic (Gaelige) and Celtic........ Thank god Fulanis are too widespread for all that rubbish.
for those smaller tribes with limited geographical depth--- say bye bye to all of them in 50 years time (if not even less sef)

------------
@Fulaman198 thanks for calling me to the other thread.

Very informative and true post Bororojo, a haali gonga modibbo!

It is a very sad thing to think of and I wonder why BBC promotes some languages over others. Why do you think they do so?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / The Olowu Of Owu Kingdom: The Final 7 Contestants In Pictures / Kenyan Mourners Drop Coffin, Fight Over Where To Bury Corpse (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.