Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,116 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Stories Behind Great Hymns.......... Wherever He Leads, I'll Go - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories Behind Great Hymns.......... Wherever He Leads, I'll Go (214 Views)

Stories Behind Great Hymns... What A Friend We Have In Jesus / Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / Stories Behind Great Hymns ....are You Washed In The Blood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.......... Wherever He Leads, I'll Go by Sam4ky(m): 9:06am On May 27, 2018
“Take up thy cross and follow me,”
I heard my Master say;
“I gave me life to ransom thee,
Surrender your all today.”

CHORUS:
Wherever He leads I’ll go,
Wherever He leads I’ll go,
I’ll follow my Christ who loves me so,
Wherever He leads I’ll go.

He drew me closer to His side,
I sought His will to know,
And in that will I now abide,
Wherever He leads I’ll go.

It may be through the shadows dim,
Or o’er the stormy sea,
I take my cross and follow Him,
Wherever He leadeth me.

Story:

In January of 1936, the Southern Baptist songwriter B. B. McKinney was leading the music at the Alabama Sunday School Convention which was held that year in the town of Clanton.
The featured speaker was the Reverend R. S. Jones, McKinney’s friend of many years, who because of ill health had recently returned from missionary service in Brazil.

The two men were visiting over dinner one evening when Mr. Jones revealed to Dr. McKinney that his physicians would not allow him to return to South America.
When asked about his future plans the missionary said, “I don’t know, but wherever He leads I’ll go.”

The words stuck in Dr. McKinney’s mind, and before the convention’s evening session began, he had written both the words and music of this song.
At the close of Mr. Jones’ message, Dr. McKinney related this story and sang “Wherever He Leads I’ll Go” to the congregation.

Bible Verses

Mark 8:34 - If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns.......... Wherever He Leads, I'll Go by Lordjiggs09(m): 9:40am On May 27, 2018
Very thoughtful and deep.

(1) (Reply)

What You Need Is Prayer / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 22/06/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.