Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

Neuroplasticity: The Big Disease In Africa - Aroms Aigbehi - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Neuroplasticity: The Big Disease In Africa - Aroms Aigbehi (350 Views)

Onyenachi Obasi Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In The UK / Abdullahi Lawal Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In Kano / Jonathan Adewunmi Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Neuroplasticity: The Big Disease In Africa - Aroms Aigbehi by Adieza(m): 11:35am On May 27, 2018
Neuroplasticity: Big Oyinbo word. That is why my words are sometimes very painful to many people.

Neuroplasticity is the brain's ability to reorganize itself by forming new neural connections throughout life. Neuroplasticity allows the neurons (nerve cells) in the brain to adjust their activities in response to new situations or to changes in their environment. But it can be a painful process.

That is why when you have been in Nigeria all your life you seems not to understand some of your relatives that went overseas for 30 years. Their brain have been rewired. Neuroplasticity. It wasn't witchcraft.

Sometimes, I think although, many Africans don't understand Neuroplasticity, they can feel the effect so they resist it. There is strong resistance to learning in Africa. This is not African bashing. It is based on experience. Luckily, many of us still want to learn.

People will say, that is not how our forefathers did it. As if their forefathers didn't have to learn it. By the way, if our forefathers were so wise how come we are so backward? I always wonder, why get a mobile phone, our forefathers communicated with smoke signals and drums.

Anyway, many intelligent Nigerians who have travelled to Oyinbo land and stayed for years often think different and start to wonder why those back home cannot change in 24 hours. Well that is Neuroplastic. Your brain has changed structurally, and that of your relative is still the same. So now you cannot understand each other.

Before someone can change their brain, they must make the adjustment and that requires time. Lots of time. This type of change is not just that people think different. It is like changing the record album on the record player. You cannot play the old songs again. This is when the relative starts to blame the wife. She did it. Let's go to the native doctor to do something. Well that is futile because it is Neuroplasticity.

You can imagine that the brain of a 10 years old has more Neuroplasticity than that of a 40 years old. The adults can learn fast only from pain and suffering. So sometimes, the only way to show people the way is to confront them with the hard truth. They call it the school of hard knocks. That is what I do. It is not hate speech.

I am sure 10 years from now, many Africans will be thinking very differently. 10 years from now I will be their hero for telling them what I am telling them now. I just have to do it for another 9 years then it will be fine because I understand Neuroplasticity.

Have a happy sunday.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=379498332556281&id=158338594672257

(1) (Reply)

Beard Growing Oil. (help Needed) / Health Need / How To Get Pregnant Fast: Find Out Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.