Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,945 members, 7,810,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment (9269 Views)

Pictures Of Federal University Of Technology, Akure / Eniola Olaniyan Bags PhD From FUTA - Federal University of Technology, Akure / Federal University Of Technology, Akure Renamed As Shagari University Of Tech. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Lautechgossip(m): 6:00am On May 29, 2018
​STUDENTS of the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA, in Ondo State, yesterday, decried incessant harassment and breach of their fundamental human rights by officers of the Nigeria Police Force in the state.

The students, under the aegis of Concern for Human Rights, CHR, accused the security agents of harassing their colleagues at FUTA North and South gates.

The CHR President, David Belele speaking on behalf of the students told newsmen in Akure “that it is imperative for the student populace to be sensitized.

Belele said: “The security agencies in FUTA hemisphere, the South Gate, and the North Gate, are terrorizing young Nigerian youths. There is a need for us to come together as people who believe that the right of the people should not be tampered with.

“Several times they asked the students to bring out their phones for search. The last time I checked the Police Act, Part 4, Section 28, it does not give a right for the police to search Nigerian citizens.

While narrating his experience, Balele said “on my way going to the School of Health three days ago, I met some security agencies on the road and they asked me to bring out my phones. I told them they don’t have any right to ask for my phone.”

Continuing, he said: “They threatened to shoot me. But as far as I am concerned, we have to stop the illegal harassment and intimidation in FUTA environment and beyond.”

We’re investigating allegations—Police

Reacting, spokesperson of the Ondo Police Command, Mr. Femi Joseph confirmed that a complaint had been lodged and that “the Commissioner of Police had taken strict measures to investigate the allegations.

Any police officer indicted in the allegations would be properly dealt with after the thorough investigation.”

http://kikiotolu.com/futa-students-decry-police-harassment/

1 Like

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:01am On May 29, 2018
Matters arising....
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Oche211(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2018
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Obijulius: 7:28am On May 29, 2018
Pictures of the harassment or you know how far.

Wetin police dey do for school sef? This country na real mumu Country!
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by nony43(m): 7:28am On May 29, 2018
N
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by seanwilliam(m): 7:28am On May 29, 2018
if u have been harassed illegally by sars/police before click like

53 Likes

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by FitArmy: 7:29am On May 29, 2018
hmmm
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by ViaFast: 7:29am On May 29, 2018
grin grin

See The Full Pictures From The "Police Harassment"

Click From Official Facebook Page : https://web.facebook.com/futacommunity/?ref=search
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Ace16(m): 7:30am On May 29, 2018
This menace of police and SARS harassment has made this country difficult for youths to live in. They don't want to see youths driving, u r assumed to b a fraudster. On Sunday police threatened to deal with us if we don't open our phones for dem. What kind of country are we in?
Plz is thr anywhere we can register our complaints on social media? This issue is getting out of hand. Only if we had a sincere govt who can come to our aids.

8 Likes

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by frowland(m): 7:31am On May 29, 2018
seanwilliam:
if u have been harassed illegally by sars/police before click like
Why should we click like? Will like bring justice to us?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by kolawoleibukun2: 7:32am On May 29, 2018
Truth be told, many of our intuitions are like old brothels. the policemen might be acting on a command. they are fighting the policemen disregarding that the order came from the oga at the top. it may be the VC who asked for this.

but in all, it is wrong and I applaud the students for speaking out and standing for their rights. only if they come together and get video recording of these acts so that people can actually see. Aluta contunua.

1 Like

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by kprez(m): 7:32am On May 29, 2018
great futarian

3 Likes

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by dotcomnamename: 7:34am On May 29, 2018
sanni605:
TRAVEL AND WORK LIVE IN USA, CANADA, UK, AUSTRALIA AND SCHENGEN
COUNTRIES, HERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU. WITH 100% GUARANTEE
=WE GIVE DIRECT EMPLOYMENT PACKAGE
call Line: +2348127637333
WhatsApp Only: +234812763733

Yeh, you father is the owner of embassies of the above countries and that's why you give visas and direct emplyments. Mumu undecided

9 Likes

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by joncom(m): 7:35am On May 29, 2018
Military regime...so sad where Nigeria is heading to

1 Like

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by gidzbobby: 7:35am On May 29, 2018
Its so bad these days that you can't even walk freely with your android or Iphones. As for me, i just move about with my nokia torch. Comman search it ofisa!!!

2 Likes

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by princeade86(m): 7:35am On May 29, 2018
police officers Shud go to Benue and flex their muscles

1 Like

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by seunlayi(m): 7:45am On May 29, 2018
It is time we wake up and fight for our right. Why will a police be asking for my phone, who knows what he himself have in his phone? Why checking the phone of someone that is not under your interrogation? One was asking a boy why is into betting, I intervened and asked if he don't know bet9ja office, he should go their and close it angry mumu ish

As for me, I no send, dem go watch pastor W. F Kumuyi messages and audio tire on my phone since my hands are clean

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Abudu2000(m): 7:45am On May 29, 2018
G
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Taywon: 7:48am On May 29, 2018
if u know , u know

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by adebayo3449(m): 7:54am On May 29, 2018
Lautechgossip:
​STUDENTS of the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA, in Ondo State, yesterday, decried incessant harassment and breach of their fundamental human rights by officers of the Nigeria Police Force in the state.

The students, under the aegis of Concern for Human Rights, CHR, accused the security agents of harassing their colleagues at FUTA North and South gates.

The CHR President, David Belele speaking on behalf of the students told newsmen in Akure “that it is imperative for the student populace to be sensitized.

Belele said: “The security agencies in FUTA hemisphere, the South Gate, and the North Gate, are terrorizing young Nigerian youths. There is a need for us to come together as people who believe that the right of the people should not be tampered with.

“Several times they asked the students to bring out their phones for search. The last time I checked the Police Act, Part 4, Section 28, it does not give a right for the police to search Nigerian citizens.

While narrating his experience, Balele said “on my way going to the School of Health three days ago, I met some security agencies on the road and they asked me to bring out my phones. I told them they don’t have any right to ask for my phone.”

Continuing, he said: “They threatened to shoot me. But as far as I am concerned, we have to stop the illegal harassment and intimidation in FUTA environment and beyond.”

We’re investigating allegations—Police

Reacting, spokesperson of the Ondo Police Command, Mr. Femi Joseph confirmed that a complaint had been lodged and that “the Commissioner of Police had taken strict measures to investigate the allegations.

Any police officer indicted in the allegations would be properly dealt with after the thorough investigation.”

http://kikiotolu.com/futa-students-decry-police-harassment/

As if they are not together
Those guys share the money they collect as bride among themselves.
They will force you to write that u are involve in cyber crime and start asking you for bride.
I fear Nigerian police
If there will be any reason for me to leave this country
It will be Becos of them, you cant ride ur dad car. U are in hell
No thanks to our yahoo boys tho
Those that are meant to protect us.
I was in a cab few months ago at Osogbo, the driver didn't give the police man money and the police man said he will change it for the man one day.
So many other instances.
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Truflexunits(m): 7:56am On May 29, 2018
I can relate to this story because I'm running my MS. C program in futa and I have witnessed this several times so police are not investigating anything because they know about it.
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by adebayo3449(m): 8:00am On May 29, 2018
seunlayi:
It is time we wake up and fight for our right. Why will a police be asking for my phone, who knows what he himself have in his phone? Why checking the phone of someone that is not under your interrogation? One was asking a boy why is into betting, I intervened and asked if he don't know bet9ja office, he should go their and close it angry mumu ish

As for me, I no send, dem go watch pastor W. F Kumuyi messages and audio tire on my phone since my hands are clean

Bro
They will always find something to say.
Take for instance
A friend of mine was coming from fellowship in this same FUTA
He was stopped by these guys.
They searched his phone couldn't find anything
So they said what was he using fiverr to do on his phone that he his a yahoo boy.
That he should pay minimum of 5k
He said if not for the people that were there that day.
So many others
Just open a thread and ask people to talk abt their encounter with these people
Bro
U will cry for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by KangaIye: 8:04am On May 29, 2018
MIB....... Stupid set of people.
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by SirLakes: 8:07am On May 29, 2018
gidzbobby:
Its so bad these days that you can't even walk freely with your android or Iphones. As for me, i just move about with my nokia torch. Comman search it ofisa!!!
grin
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:08am On May 29, 2018
On a serious note d harassment is too much
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by seunlayi(m): 8:10am On May 29, 2018
adebayo3449:

Bro
They will always find something to say.
Take for instance
A friend of mine was coming from fellowship in this same FUTA
He was stopped by these guys.
They searched his phone couldn't find anything
So they said what was he using fiverr to do on his phone that he his a yahoo boy.
That he should pay minimum of 5k
He said if not for the people that were there that day.
So many others
Just open a thread and ask people to talk abt their encounter with these people
Bro
U will cry for Nigeria
my bro, I know that this policemen are just too stu pid. We should rise and fight against harassment
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by adebayo3449(m): 8:14am On May 29, 2018
seunlayi:
my bro, I know that this policemen are just too stu pid. We should rise and fight against harassment
They don't care to shoot.
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by Thebrightest(m): 8:42am On May 29, 2018
useless ppl
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by nairaman66(m): 9:03am On May 29, 2018
Federal government is keeping mum, the Nigerian police are harassing and killing Nigerians everyday!!

Very soon the revolution will be live!!
Re: Federal University Of Technology Akure Students Decry Police Harassment by mayorkyzo: 9:51am On May 29, 2018
Zoogeria

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Cautions Jamb Against Exploiting Nigerians / Gregory University Uturu (GUU) Abia State Begins Admission / How Do You Motivate Yourself To Study?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.