Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,989 members, 7,810,756 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th (24331 Views)

Killings: It’s Fire For Fire’, Adeboye Asks Followers To Defend Themselves / TB Joshua: The Nigerian Outsider Who Became A Global Televangelist Star - BBC / How Popular Nigerian Televangelist TB Joshua Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by afroniger: 6:46am On May 31, 2018
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2018/05/29/a-televangelist-wants-his-followers-to-pay-for-a-54-million-private-jet-its-his-fourth-plane/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.555708b3cefd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYw_dYAdXWs

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr., May 29

If Jesus were to descend from heaven and physically set foot on 21st-century Earth, prosperity gospel televangelist Jesse Duplantis told his followers, the Redeemer would probably take a pass on riding on the back of a donkey: “He’d be on an airplane preaching the gospel all over the world.”

And Duplantis thinks the Light of the World wouldn’t exactly settle for 30 inches of legroom or getting patted down by TSA.

Why would He choose anything less than the Falcon 7X, a private jet that nears the sound barrier but also has noise-limiting acoustic technology, a Bluetooth-enabled entertainment center and an optional in-flight shower?

Duplantis, saying he needs about $54 million to help him efficiently spread the gospel to as many people as possible, has asked the Lord — and hundreds of thousands of hopefully deep-pocketed followers across the world — for just such a plane.

He is the latest aircraft-seeking preacher to draw raised eyebrows and outright condemnation from critics who say asking for a multimillion-dollar luxury jet is not exactly what Jesus meant when he said “store up for yourself treasures in heaven.”

But this is not the first time Duplantis has been enmeshed in the preacher private plane debate. The Falcon 7X would be his ministry’s fourth jet — all paid for with cash drummed up from followers.

And before anyone asks, he already has an answer for nonbelievers and critics who want to know why, exactly, his ministry requires a luxury jet that would make his fleet the same size as Donald Trump’s.

“We believe in God for a brand new Falcon 7X so we can go anywhere in the world, one stop,” he told people on “This Week With Jesse,” a regular video broadcast on his website. The video on May 21 carefully mixed the gospel with a few insights into the economics of international aviation.

“Now people say … can’t you go with this one?” he said, pointing to a picture of the plane he uses. “Yes, but I can’t go it one stop. And if I can do it one stop, I can fly it for a lot cheaper, because I have my own fuel farm. And that’s what’s been a blessing of the Lord.”

Duplantis didn’t immediately return calls from The Washington Post seeking comment.

In the video, Duplantis didn’t specify which ministry-furthering missions the plane would be used for, although he has indicated in the past that he has an extensive travel schedule.

Duplantis is the founder of Jesse Duplantis Ministries, which includes a weekly television program that reaches 106 million U.S. households, according to his Amazon author biography. In 1997, he and his wife founded Covenant Church in Destrehan, La., just outside New Orleans.

“It is his mission to reach every soul of the 7 billion people that now inhabit the earth, making sure that each one has an opportunity to know the real Jesus — approachable, personable, compassionate, and full of joy-the way that he knows Jesus,” the biography says.

He preaches the prosperity gospel, which says God shows favor by rewarding the faithful with earthly riches. Giving money to pastors and their ministries, leaders say, is a sort of investment.

And prosperity gospel preachers have encouraged their flocks to invest heavily in aviation.

[Pastor Creflo Dollar might get his $65 million private jet after all]

In 2015, televangelist Creflo Dollar was widely mocked for starting “Project G650,” a means of getting a state-of-the-art Gulfstream G650 plane of his own, financed by his 200,000 followers. According to The Post’s Abby Ohlheiser, Dollar said he “needs one of the most luxurious private jets made today in order to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.”

The campaign was widely ridiculed online, and Dollar never made it to the waiting list, which consisted mostly of billionaires.

Kenneth Copeland, another prosperity gospel adherent who has appeared on-screen with Duplantis, announced his ministry had purchased a Gulfstream V jet that probably cost millions. The announcement on Copeland’s website showed him wearing a bomber jacket in front of a gleaming white plane.

“Glory to God! It’s Ours!” the website said. “The Gulfstream V is in our hands!”

But the ministry needed more, it told followers. The plane was “an exceptional value” but needed another $2.5 million in upgrades. The ministry also needed to build a new hangar, buy special maintenance equipment and lengthen its runway to accommodate the new plane.

After making the ask, Copeland prayed on camera for God to bless contributors.

He and Duplantis defended their use of private jets in a widely shared — and mocked — YouTube video.

“The world is in such a shape, we can’t get there without this,” Copeland said of private aircraft. “We’ve got to have this. The mess that the airlines are in today I would have to stop, I’m being very conservative, at least 75 to 80, more like 90 percent of what we’re doing because you can’t get there from here.”

“That’s why we’re on that airplane,” he said. “We can talk to God.”

Copeland said he used to travel with faith-healing prosperity preacher Oral Roberts, who flew commercial, and it “got to the place where it was agitating his spirit. People coming up to him. He had become famous. And they wanting him to pray for them and all that.

“You can’t manage that today. This dope-filled world. And get in a long tube with a bunch of demons. And it’s deadly.”

During his request for a new plane, Duplantis said he realized some people would remain skeptical.

He said there was no obligation, and there was only one surefire way to determine what exactly God wanted them to do: pray.

“So pray about becoming a partner toward it, if you like to and if you don’t, you don’t have to, but I wish you would,” he said. “Because let me tell you something about it, it’s going to touch people. It’s going to reach people. It’s going to save lives one soul at a time …

“If you pray about it, I believe God will speak to you.”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by soberdrunk(m): 6:49am On May 31, 2018
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin The human mind is very advanced yet very weak, anyone can take advantage of it with the 'right words' and with continuous 'indoctrination' you can control it, once it has been compromised it is very hard to reset, there is nothing you will tell these folks that will make them stop funding the lavish lifestyle of their leader unless they come to 'self realization'

Ps-----Some people fit riot if on 'judgement day" God just open heaven's gate and be like "Angels let all of them in!! They are all my kids, I ain't roasting none of them"......... grin grin

86 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:51am On May 31, 2018
grin
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by StarUp: 6:56am On May 31, 2018
When he was "trekking" for the work of the Lord, nobody accused him of evangelising on foot o...now he has and still wants a better private jet and people are talking.

When you are sleeping on a mat, nobody will talk but by the time God upgrades your life to sleeping on a $1m water bed, haters will appear from nowhere grin

Abeggi make una allow am...God punish poverty!!!! grin

20 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Paperwhite(m): 6:56am On May 31, 2018
This is a serious issue wherein Christainity have grossly lost it-the advent of "prosperity gospel".What shall it profit a man if he shall acquire all the "private jets" & loss his soul"

12 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by malificent(f): 6:57am On May 31, 2018
shocked
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:00am On May 31, 2018
I love their Christ but hate their christians, because their Christians do not behave like their Christ.............

Mahatma Ghandi (The Indian Buddhist)

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by CarGuideNG: 7:01am On May 31, 2018
Before you purchase your vehicles, tokunbo or used, run a VIN check to detect hidden history.

You would be amazed at how effective a VIN report is at revealing devastating and extensive damage.

For free Flood checks and a free AutoCheck Report summary

https://www.nairaland.com/4496727/free-flood-title-damage-history

For Comprehensive and Premium VIN reports with pictures of the vehicle in the country of origin

https://www.nairaland.com/4482263/2000-ngn-comprehensive-autocheck-vin

Don't hesitate. A stitch in time.

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 7:01am On May 31, 2018
Don't be surprised, that money will be contributed in no time.

They must never disobey.

The bible has condemned the disobedient ones

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Abjay97(m): 7:01am On May 31, 2018
I always keep wondering why christians still support pastors with private jets...

Jesus taught humility, simplicity and contentment... Owning a private jet is not a sin, but it doesnt portray the lifestyle of Jesus whom christians look up to..

Support Missions, Charity, and Scholarship schemes with those millions of dollars and affect millions of lives..

Private Jets will end here on earth, but souls are perishing.. Save those souls with the little God has given you.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by NwaAmaikpe: 7:02am On May 31, 2018
shocked

Nice one,
This is biblical, afterall Jesus asked his disciples to go fetch him a Colt for his triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

It is the job of the followers to provide anything that will help the master in propagating the gospel.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by AnonymousIP: 7:02am On May 31, 2018
angry

HIS 2018 NET WORTH WILL Shock You !!!!

Check Here : https://networth.com/Jesse-Duplantis-2018

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by recievesense: 7:02am On May 31, 2018
The thunder wey go .................

1 Like

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by princeadams11: 7:03am On May 31, 2018
Paperwhite:
This is a serious issue wherein Christainity have grossly lost it-the advent of "prosperity gospel".What shall it profit a man if he shall acquire all the "private jets" & loss his soul"
Have you forgotten that it is a materialistic religion. The religion is all about material things, nothing is real about it. Let him acquire all the worldly things because that is what the religion is all about.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by izzou(m): 7:03am On May 31, 2018
grin

Watch how some Christians will criticise him, forgetting that their daddies here have two or three too.

7 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by lockupnop: 7:03am On May 31, 2018
undecided undecided
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by grandstar(m): 7:03am On May 31, 2018
Religious highway men.

Peddlars of the word of God.

Jesus had long prophesied about them (Matthew 24:24)

Those who followed false prophets and hypocrites like these did not fare well. Learn from his admonition in Matthew 23:13,15)

2 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Flamezzz: 7:03am On May 31, 2018
Businessmen in form of preachers.

5 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:04am On May 31, 2018
He cannot come and die

1 Like

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by SoapQueen(f): 7:04am On May 31, 2018
People are dying of hunger.

The so called celebrities and overclass they keep calling "Illuminati" are donating relief materials to the poor and alleviating the burden of malnutrition amongst the less privileged.

10 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by ElsonMorali: 7:04am On May 31, 2018
Duplantis?

I think the root word for that is Dupe.

The man is a dupe.

I just pity the senseless idiots who call themselves "Christians".

7 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by rozayx5(m): 7:04am On May 31, 2018
Paul would shake his head

At this current lot of money chasing pastorpreneurs

6 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by BlackHatNaija: 7:04am On May 31, 2018
Religion and the quest to amass wealth.

Many Apostles that laid down their lives for us to get here will be so disappointed at this present set of so-called Apostles and Church leaders teaching manipulated doctrines.

2 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by godswilld10(m): 7:04am On May 31, 2018
grin na wa o
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Queenext: 7:05am On May 31, 2018
Christianity is real business center

6 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by sauceEEP(m): 7:05am On May 31, 2018
I thought this happens only in Nigeria. lipsrsealed
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Iseoluwani: 7:06am On May 31, 2018
nothing to say

but

rabbits to sell 08143412574

5 Likes

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by Lagbaja01(m): 7:06am On May 31, 2018
FREE MINING TUTORIAL USING YOUR ANDROID DEVICE

If you are regular internet user, you do not have to worry about monthly subcription fee anymore as long as you are willing to work with me on a simple task.

TASK REQUIREMENTS
- Android device (phone or tab)
- Two emails & two phone number
- you must currently have active sub on your phone
- task requires less than 10mb of your data in a month
- less than 3 minutes of your time every day.

NB: 1. YOU ARE NOT INVESTING ANY MONEY HERE AND I AM NOT SELLING ANY EBOOK/PRODUCT TO YOU AS SOME ARE FOND OF DOING, THEREFORE FOLLOW THE REGISTRATION PROCEDURES ACCORDINGLY.

2. ALL THAT IS NEEDED IS SIGN UP AND DOWNLOAD AN APP THAT IS LESS THAN 13MB, LOGIN TO THE APP AND MAKE SURE THE APP IS CONNECTED WHENEVER YOU PUT YOUR DATA ON

3. THIS IS NOT A GET RICH SCHEME BUT SOMETHING THAT CAN FOOT YOUR MONTHLY DATA SUB OF N1000.

4. I WON'T WELCOME ANY IRRELEVANT QUESTION/ DOUBT AS THE TASK DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY MONETRY INVOLVEMENT OR YOUR FINANCIAL DETAILS...

if you have the above requirements, chat me up on my whatsapp number 0.8.1.5.7.3.4.3.6.9.9
Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by ednut1(m): 7:06am On May 31, 2018
Con men

1 Like

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 7:06am On May 31, 2018
Just as expected
seguno2:

That was the God of Israel in the Old Testament.
In the New Testament, everyone is a priest of God.
I dare you to pull up a similar quote to your Deuteronomy from the New Testament if you are not a scammer and charlatan like the gods of men who call themselves pastors.
The usual hypocrisy card that is pulled.

I thought Jesus said that he didn't come to condemn the laws (old testament) rather, he came to fulfill them.

Well, you asked for it, NOW TAKE IT! and judge yourself.

Romans 13 New International Reader's Version (NIRV)

Obey Those in Authority
13 All of you must obey those who rule over you. There are no authorities except the ones God has chosen. Those who now rule have been chosen by God. 2 So whoever opposes the authorities opposes leaders whom God has appointed. Those who do that will be judged.

1 Like

Re: Televangelist Wants Followers To Pay For $54 Million Private Jet, It's His 4th by danduj(m): 7:06am On May 31, 2018
White people are easy to scam so they will definitely pay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Atheism Is A Religion / Pastor E.A Adeboye Plays The Piano (Video, Photo) / Why Wouldn't You Marry A Sister From Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.