Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:06 AM

Christian Courtship - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christian Courtship (338 Views)

Christian Courtship / Hello My Spiritual Brethren. Is 1 Year Too Much For A Christian Courtship? / Faith And David Oyedepo During Their Courtship Days (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Christian Courtship by bummyla(m): 11:36pm On May 31, 2018
Memory Verse:
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge
Hebrews 13:4
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Text:
Genesis 29:11-20
11 Then Jacob kissed Rachel and began to weep aloud.

12 He had told Rachel that he was a relative of her father and a son of Rebekah. So she ran and told her father.

13 As soon as Laban heard the news about Jacob, his sister’s son, he hurried to meet him. He embraced him and kissed him and brought him to his home, and there Jacob told him all these things.

14 Then Laban said to him, “You are my own flesh and blood.”

Jacob Marries Leah and Rachel
After Jacob had stayed with him for a whole month,

15 Laban said to him, “Just because you are a relative of mine, should you work for me for nothing? Tell me what your wages should be.”

16 Now Laban had two daughters; the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.

17 Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel had a lovely figure and was beautiful.

18 Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, “I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel.”

19 Laban said, “It’s better that I give her to you than to some other man. Stay here with me.”

20 So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her.

Introduction:
The Christian courtship is a period that is often set aside for the would-be Christian couple to know themselves better. It must also, be emphasized that within this period, the intending couple must not defile themselves an should adhere strictly to the moral and spiritual standards set by the Church. It is a period within which the families of both parties will get to know themselves, and the couple to be will have the opportunity of knowing whether they are compatible, or share the same visions, hopes and aspiration that they will need to carry them through their lifetime.
Amos 3:3
Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Importance of Christian Courtship.
1. It Allows The Intending Couple To Lay A Solid Biblical Foundation For Their Family
1 Corinthians 3:10-12
By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.

11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,

2. Faith Of Both In The Lord Is Put To Test.
Romans 12:1-2
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

3. It Marks The Beginning Of Adjustments For Both, Through Prayer To Accommodate One Another.

4. The Families Begin To Get Closer To Each Other.

5. The Reality Of The Fact That Marriage Was Ordained By God And The Fact That It Is Death Do Us Part Is Imparted Into The Intending Couple

Genesis 2:18-24
The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.

20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam no suitable helper was found.

21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh.

22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Duration of Christian Courtship.
1. A period of between 6 months-1 year is recommended to avoid temptation

2. If too long, it can lead to immorality
Colossians 2:21.
Touch not; taste not; handle not

3. If too long, it can lead to breaking the proposal particularly when the intending partners are not stable.

Conclusion:
Christian Courtship is highly recommended provided the intending couple will regimentally follow the tenets as laid down by God through the Holy Spirit a good courtship period backed with Church Counselling lessons will help in settling some of the usual frictions occurring during the first few years of marriage

1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Hebrews 13:4
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

2 Timothy 2:22
So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

1 Corinthians 13:8
Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

Malachi 2:15
Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.

Malachi 2:14
But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Exodus 20:12
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

https://bummyla.com/2018/05/31/christian-courtship-2/

(1) (Reply)

A Short Video Of The First Crusade / Once Saved Forever Saved / Happy Eid Mubarak To All Muslim Brethren Across The Globe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.