Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,801 members, 7,817,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? (20864 Views)

Poll: Which practise is more important?

Tithing (God 'commands' it): 33% (22 votes)
Giving to the needy (more helpful): 66% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Man Asks Church To Return His Tithes Or Face Court Action / Should Students Be Paying Tithes. / Benefits Of Paying Tithes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 12:29am On Mar 24, 2007
let the tithers carry on with it.
It is not a Christian command and I'm at peace with that decision.
tayod every church needs money,that I choose to call my contributions free will offerings does not make it unusable.
The Pastor has never returned my offerings to me till date.
God does not curse anyone,let's not be deceived by this.

Any pastor that tells anyone to forget paying their rent and household bills and give 10 percent of their salary to the Church is very unfair.
Some people simply cannot even survive from month to month on all their salary.
Christians have common sense and ought to use it.
You give as you are blessed.
There is no mandate on how much.
The most impoortant thing is to give.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 24, 2007
The sad thing is all these pastors that now encourage you to tithe and give with a credit card.
Borrowing money at 21% interest and above to pay what they tell you ,you owe.
People we have to be wise,If you cannot afford 10% of your salary or if after giving it,you and your kids will starve for the later part of the month,God accepts 2,3,4 percent and will bless you and not curse you.
His yoke is easy and his burden is light

If you can afford to give 20% cheerfully,by all means do so.We are not under any bondage.
I believe in giving cheerfully and sowing seeds of faith and I have not regretted the results it's yielded me.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 2:31am On Mar 24, 2007
@Babyosisi,

You are putting forth a lot of human argument which sound good to the reason but in my estimation, don't hold up to the light of divine revelation.

Giving, whether in a time of plenty or a time of need, is never an easy thing in most cases. You can always think of a thousand and one things to do with that money.

I think you are the second person I have heard talk about some Pastors requiring their members to pay tithes from their credit cards. Needless to say, that is not the Bible. Tithes are a percentage of your increase and not a percentage of a want. God is not a task-master and will never have you go into debt to pay up what He expects from an increase.

I am often perplexed by people's argument that our needs should take priority over God's. God said if you do not pay tithe, you are robbing Him. When did He turn over the ownership of the tithe to us? He already promised in His Word that He will give seed to the Sower. If you have no seed to give, perhaps it is because you are always fond of eating them.

While I have disproved everything that trini_girl has tabled as argument against the tithe, I am yet to find anyone show me where the N.T. says the tithe is done away with. Please do not say we are not under the law anymore because Abraham and Jacob were not under the law and yet paid tithes as a matter of covenant relationship with God.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Ndipe(m): 2:59am On Mar 24, 2007
I dont know if Tithe is a shadow of former things, but I dont think it would make any difference to some of us folks, if we donate a certain percentage of our income as tithes in the Church. God's Blessings in our life is so greater that we cant measure it with any dollar. Give from the heart, in secret and cheerfully. I have also noticed this in certain Churches, that when you put your tithe in your envelope, you are required to write your name, so that at the end of the year you can claim deduction? Abeg, is it really true? Cos if it is so, then it is very, very ridiculous.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 11:20am On Mar 24, 2007
TayoD:

@Babyosisi,

You are putting forth a lot of human argument which sound good to the reason but in my estimation, don't hold up to the light of divine revelation.

Giving, whether in a time of plenty or a time of need, is never an easy thing in most cases. You can always think of a thousand and one things to do with that money.

I think you are the second person I have heard talk about some Pastors requiring their members to pay tithes from their credit cards. Needless to say, that is not the Bible. Tithes are a percentage of your increase and not a percentage of a want. God is not a task-master and will never have you go into debt to pay up what He expects from an increase.

I am often perplexed by people's argument that our needs should take priority over God's. God said if you do not pay tithe, you are robbing Him. When did He turn over the ownership of the tithe to us? He already promised in His Word that He will give seed to the Sower. If you have no seed to give, perhaps it is because you are always fond of eating them.

While I have disproved everything that trini_girl has tabled as argument against the tithe, I am yet to find anyone show me where the N.T. says the tithe is done away with. Please do not say we are not under the law anymore because Abraham and Jacob were not under the law and yet paid tithes as a matter of covenant relationship with God.

@tayoD

Disproved ke? In your mind.  So because I choose not to partake in your theological back and forth on this matter you think you have disproved the truth by dead letter reasoning.  Don't mistake my silence for your victory.  wink

If your revelation was divine my friend, it would certainly have showed you that according to Hebrews 7, we have a glorious new covenant for whosover will accept, so that we no longer have to live according to the law as the PHARISEES mentioned in the new testament were still doing.

They had not accepted Jesus Christ as the messiah, and obviously the status quo before his resurrection would have been to continue following the law, including the practice of tithing

What did Paul say about the law? In Romans 7 he did not condemn the law, but gave credence to it, because without it, he would not have known what sin is.  However, there is a better way.

Romans 7, one of my favourite passages from Paul.  It says

"Do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to men who know the law—that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives? For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage.

So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.

For when we were controlled by the sinful naturethe sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. "

Thank God we are no longer under the bondage of the written code!  grin

He continues:-

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."

But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.

, We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.
,  I agree that the law is good.  "

Paul was saying that the law was good ONLY because it made him aware of his sinful "wretched" nature, which made him feel condemned.

However, he goes on to say:-

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. "

Therefore, tayoD, we live by the law of the Spirit and not the law of the flesh that only brings condemnation. For example,
people who feel GUILTY if they don't TITHE  grin

1 Like

Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 11:57am On Mar 24, 2007
@TayoD

Instead of trying to deliberate the who did what where whens of the tithe, let's focus on why the tithe is not relevant to Christ's church (meaning the followers of christ, not a building). 

I mentioned Hebrews 7 above (another one of my favs), it speaks the better way to live apart from the law, confirming Jesus Christ as our new great High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, but with a much better covenant  wink

Let's see what it says shall we?
-------
"This Melchizedek was king of Salem and priest of God Most High. He met Abraham returning from the defeat of the kings and blessed him, and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything. First, his name means "king of righteousness"; then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace." Without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, like the Son of God he remains a priest forever.

Just think how great he was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder! (hmmm, not money? no cash? , 1/10 of ALL spoils? interesting)

Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, their brothers—even though their brothers are descended from Abraham.

This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.

In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.

One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor. "

NOW THE GOOD PART  grin

"If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?

For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law!"

WAIT! STOP HERE! READ THAT LINE ABOVE AGAIN! grin

"The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
   "The Lord has sworn
      and will not change his mind:
   'You are a priest forever.' "

Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant. "

"Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because[b] Jesus lives forever[/b], he has a permanent priesthood

Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.

Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people.

He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.

For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever."
---------------------------------------
See that? Jesus Christ meets our needs! period! Not Jesus Christ meets our needs when we pay titheundecided

Therefore since we are under NEW and BETTER law, the tithe is now DEFUNCT!

What stands is obedience, love, faithfulness, oh and it just came to me again, BUT THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE!   grin

Giving is a part of love is it not? Whether it be a dollar, a shirt, or a pot of egusi soup.

Don't make yourself bankrupt because of this tithing bondage folks. Embrace the law of liberty.

Break free from the bondage of tithing - Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.

If you observe one law, you have to observe them ALL, OR ELSE! - Gal 3:10  All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 11:59am On Mar 24, 2007
babyosisi:

let the tithers carry on with it.
It is not a Christian command and I'm at peace with that decision.
tayod every church needs money,that I choose to call my contributions free will offerings does not make it unusable.
The Pastor has never returned my offerings to me till date.
God does not curse anyone,let's not be deceived by this.

Any pastor that tells anyone to forget paying their rent and household bills and give 10 percent of their salary to the Church is very unfair.
Some people simply cannot even survive from month to month on all their salary.
Christians have common sense and ought to use it.
You give as you are blessed.
There is no mandate on how much.
The most impoortant thing is to give.

babyosisi

I agree with you 10, I mean 100% grin
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 12:07pm On Mar 24, 2007
babyosisi:

The sad thing is all these pastors that now encourage you to tithe and give with a credit card.
Borrowing money at 21% interest and above to pay what they tell you ,you owe.
People we have to be wise,If you cannot afford 10% of your salary or if after giving it,you and your kids will starve for the later part of the month,God accepts 2,3,4 percent and will bless you and not curse you.
[b]His yoke is easy and his burden is light[/b]

If you can afford to give 20% cheerfully,by all means do so.We are not under any bondage.
I believe in giving cheerfully and sowing seeds of faith and I have not regretted the results it's yielded me.

amen to that babyosisi.

I didnt know that the church has stooped so law as to now put people in debt in the name of tithe. How is your credit card a part of your increase it's sad how gullible people are, and it angers me what men in positions of leadership and influence do to fill their own pockets in the name of christianity and obedience to God.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 1:04pm On Mar 24, 2007
One more, and this is especially for dear mr. TayoD

Deuteronomy 14:22-29

"Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.  Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose.

Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice

And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns,  so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns[b] may come and eat and be satisfied[/b], and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."

People, this is serious.  The tithe was never meant for a building, a pastor or a prophet.  It was always meant for the people.  The tithe was worship to God as reverence for blessing the work of your hands.  

I wonder, when Malachi said "will a man rob god, yet you rob him with tithes and offerings" if he meant that they were robbing God of worship and reverence for the things he has done for them.  Does God have need of any material thing?No. All things were made by him.  But he requires obedience, reverence and worship.

In Malachi 3 we see God speaking directly to the house of Jacob, rebuking them because they turned away from Him, and as such turned away from the law of tithing which was required at the time.

Malachi 3:6-11

"I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.  Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.

"But you ask, 'How are we to return?'

"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.

"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'

"In tithes and offerings.
       You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me.

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty.

As seen above in Deutronomy, the tithe was enjoyed in the presence of God.  So what he was saying was that if they turned their hearts to Him again, and OBEY him but giving the tithe according to Deut 14:22, he will restore their land.  

When he said "I will prevent pests from devouring your crops", that's what He meant, it was not a spiritual parallel for anything.
He literally meant.  I will save your crops, so that they can have food.

Many pastors use this as a parallel to life today saying that it means  God will bless you if you pay the tithe.  The storehouse being the church, and many people have suffered because of this lie.

Sometimes I wonder if christians are poor because they tithe but do not follow other parts of the law, and therefore have put themselves under a curse.  I know it sounds like a paradox, but consider what the scripture says in Galatians concerning following the law.

Go read Malachi 3:6-17 and see the full context of this prophetic word from God through Malachi and decide for yourselves.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Backslider(m): 1:08pm On Mar 24, 2007
@ issue and babyosisi

God does not want the Money of a Sinner.

He wants the soul to be given over

God wants more than 10%

Your 10% + Offering (anything you can add) is Not Salvation ( Go and ask Job he will Tell you)

You are not supposed to borrow or steal money to give anything to "god"

This is the right picture

*You are born Again pure within and without.
*Pay more than ten percent From your earnings.
* give to the poor
* prayer for those that hate you
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Tornadoz(m): 7:02pm On Mar 24, 2007
Where does all this tithe go? To any pastor here or friends of pastors, please what do you do with the money?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 7:08pm On Mar 24, 2007
@trini_girl,

You are making one obvious and unintended mistake in your reading and explanation regarding this tithing issue.  Tithing has nothing to do with the law.  Tithing was brought into the law and did not originate from the law.

Abraham and Jacob were not under the law and still paid tithe. I am not under the law, so why should I not pay?

Your rendering of Hebrews 7 isn't really refering to tithing per se.  Our need that Jesus fulfilled as a High Priest is not to give us permission to eat that which God says belongs to Him.  Tithes belong to God mcuh before the law came into effect and a transient law does not remove an eternal fact.

Abraham did not offer agricultural products as tithe and neither did Jacob.  How you claim the tithe is only agricultural products is still beyond me.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2007
Where does all this tithe go? To any pastor here or friends of pastors, please what do you do with the money?

I can't recall Abraham asking Melchizedek the same question. We say our faith is patterned after Abraham and yet we do not do his works. What kind of children are we?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 7:39pm On Mar 24, 2007
TayoD:

@trini_girl,

You are making one obvious and unintended mistake in your reading and explanation regarding this tithing issue.  Tithing has nothing to do with the law.  Tithing was brought into the law and did not originate from the law.

I am making no mistake. However I'm beginning to understand your error in reasoning.  The "law" was not just the 10 commandments. I understand that you're trying to seperate law from tithe, and it is impossible.  Mosaic Law covered commandments, ordinances and judgements.

Regardless of its origin, it was under the ERA of law. I agree that tithing post dates Abraham and Jacob, however, the tithe was a form of worship to and celebration of God.  If, according to your "divine reasoning", God still requires this form of worship, then we also need to sacrifice burnt offerings to please/appease God.

TayoD:

Abraham and Jacob were not under the law and still paid tithe. I am not under the law, so why should I not pay?

The mention of this was clearly to show that Melchizedek, a type of christ, was so great the EVEN Abraham CHOSE to pay give a tenth of his plunder, at that time, not every month or on a regualr basis, to the order of the priesthood.  So in a way you are endorsing my point.  If Abraham CHOSE to pay a tithe at that point in time to Melchizedec pre law, then why does the modern church under a completely new law make it mandatory?

TayoD:

Your rendering of Hebrews 7 isn't really refering to tithing per se.  Our need that Jesus fulfilled as a High Priest is not to give us permission to eat that which God says belongs to Him.  Tithes belong to God mcuh before the law came into effect and a transient law does not remove an eternal fact.

I beg to differ.  Hebrew 7 is the pivotal point between those who lived under law, and what the resurrection of Christ represents to the modern day church.  You don't see it, because you don't see tithing as falling under the era of law. Which is where your error lies.

TayoD:

Abraham did not offer agricultural products as tithe and neither did Jacob.  How you claim the tithe is only agricultural products is still beyond me.

Let me bring it within your grasp then.  wink  That statement was neither all inclusive nor blanket.  I'm surprised you did not comment on how the tithe was order to be used according to Deuteronomy 14:22-29

Even if we now choose to subscribe to the tithe, we should do it the way the did it in the old testament, not so? One tenth to a place where EVERYONE can enjoy it as a form of worship to God and thanksgiving for his goodness.

If you focus on the spirit of tithing and not the act itself, you'll see that God does not need or require money. He requires obedience and worship. The tithe was a form of worship and celebration to God.

To obey is better than sacrifice, correct? We dont rob God of money if we don't give, we rob him of worship, reverence that is DUE to His name.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 7:48pm On Mar 24, 2007
TayoD:

I can't recall Abraham asking Melchizedek the same question. We say our faith is patterned after Abraham and yet we do not do his works. What kind of children are we?

I think it's a valid question. Since the children of Israel knew EXACTLY what the tithe was used for, not supernaturally but in their bellies. cheesy So then if we follow tithing now, should it not be the same?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 7:59pm On Mar 24, 2007
TayoD:

@trini_girl,
Tithes belong to God mcuh before the law came into effect and a transient law does not remove an eternal fact.

Im compelled to comment more on this statement, since I was almost offended by the word "transient". It makes what christ did sound so trite.

When Abraham offered a tithe to Melchizidek it wasn't really tithe in the strictest sense according to Deut. 14, it was more like a tribute, homage, to one who is greater, even than he was.

However, for those who were under the law, it was like the greater, giving to the lesser (levites, homeless, widows), since Levi owned no land or wordly possessions.

Both had the same intent of charity (love), homage and obedience.

Tayo, you can't possibly believe that giving 10% of your income is tithing in it's truest sense.

I even question that, because 10% of my "increase" could be interpreted as 10% of anything extra I get, like a bonus, and we all know how hard those are to come by. grin
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 24, 2007
trini_girl:

Tayo, you can't possibly believe that giving 10% of your income is tithing in it's truest sense.

I even question that, because 10% of my "increase" could be interpreted as 10% of anything extra I get, like a bonus, and we all know how hard those are to come by. grin

You took that right out of my mouth.Abraham gave spoils of war.
All of it, he kept none.Those were not his property but his increase,conquered in war.
To a salaried person like me,my increase are my bonuses and raises,if I gave 10% of that I'll be giving almost nothing.
And if we wanted truly to give as Abraham did to Mechizedek and the king of Salem if that is the gold standard as some claim,you give away[b] ALL[/b].

TayoD you cannot pick and choose,if tithing predated the law,so did burnt offering.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by adconline(m): 8:23pm On Mar 24, 2007
OMG. So we pay tithe without knowing what our pastors do with the money? Unbelievable.  That's why Church is a big form of investment.  I give to the needy not to pastors. These folks forget that Jesus recognised a widow's might, so it does not have to be 10% of what you have. Also God does not take gold or silver but a contrite and broken heart. God does not want a gift of a sinner, but his soul. I wonder if tithe is part of the ten commandment.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 24, 2007
2Cr 9:5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation
2Cr 9:6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.

2Cr 9:7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

2Cr 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

2Cr 9:9 As it is written:

"He has dispersed abroad,
He has given to the poor;
His righteousness endures forever."*

2Cr 9:10 Now may* He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness,
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Enigma(m): 10:45pm On Mar 24, 2007
@Trini girl

You put your finger on an important point in passing in one of your posts earlier.

Indeed, there is an argument that when Malachi said "Will a man rob God" he was addressing that statement to (I think, at least in part to) the priests who were abusing the ancient Israelite/Jewish tithe. Read in particular the beginning of Malachi 2 or indeed the whole of Malachi 1 and 2 carefully.

The "tithes" preachers do not usually refer to those passages of course. Neither do they usually refer to Deuteronomy 14: 22 et seq that you referred to especially as the emphasis was to share the tithe with the poor and to enjoy some of it yourself by spending it on whatever your soul desires, .
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by sage(m): 12:27pm On Mar 25, 2007
People should stop beign enslaved to designes men have made to exploit them of their hard earned living. Tithe ko, tithe ni.

Left for me all these tithe preaching pastors(thieves) should be in jail cooling of their heels. Harsh i know, but so is exploiting the faith and vunurability of the poor
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 25, 2007
@ trini girl,
i dey trip for you o!
you seem well enlightened on this issue
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Glamourgal(f): 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2007
giving to the needy.
who knws, the pastor might pocket ur thithe
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 2:52pm On Mar 25, 2007
@bennygee

lol! hi bennygee, how now? wink

Thanks much. I think we all need to do our own searching and find truth in all things.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by trinigirl1(f): 3:05pm On Mar 25, 2007
Enigma:

@Trini girl

You put your finger on an important point in passing in one of your posts earlier.

Indeed, there is an argument that when Malachi said "Will a man rob God" he was addressing that statement to (I think, at least in part to) the priests who were abusing the ancient Israelite/Jewish tithe. Read in particular the beginning of Malachi 2 or indeed the whole of Malachi 1 and 2 carefully.

The "tithes" preachers do not usually refer to those passages of course. Neither do they usually refer to Deuteronomy 14: 22 et seq that you referred to especially as the emphasis was to share the tithe with the poor and to enjoy some of it yourself by spending it on whatever your soul desires, .

Hi Enigma,

You're correct. If we read Malachi in its entirety we see the contextual truth of it.

It's unfortunate that people refuse to release themselves for fear of being "put under a curse".

Even further on in Deuteronomy we see things that contradict this monthly so called tithe

Deut 26:12-13

When you have made an end of tithing all the tithes of your increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and have given it to the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within your gates, and be filled,

Then you shall say before the LORD your God, I have brought away the hallowed things out of my house, and also have given them to the Levite, and to the stranger, to the fatherless, and to the widow, according to all your commandments which you have commanded me; I have not transgressed your commandments, neither have I forgotten them

But pastors, bishops and other so called Men Of God conveniently focus on the misinterpretation (or perhaps manipulation) of Malachi. undecided
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 25, 2007
Having said all this,we ought to give generously to the works of God and to charitable organizations.
It is more blessed to give.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by TayoD(m): 4:29am On Mar 26, 2007
@trin_girl,

Again, you are refering to tithing as practiced under the Law of Moses. How was it done before the Law of Moses ever came into being?
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by ishmael(m): 7:45am On Mar 26, 2007
@TayoD
Abraham was not under any law as you said; no wonder he slept with his wife's maid in order to have a son, and God did not see it as sin. You can as well take a second wife if you are married or sleep with your wife's maid for a child, abi?? Leave abraham out of this tithe issue and him not being under the law. it will amount to a BIG sin for you to do what Abraham did then.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by abioye(m): 9:52am On Mar 26, 2007
The truth is that old testament and New testament are part of the bible. if the Old testament is not that important to us it will not be part of the scripture. The Bible is not complete without these two books.

Malachi 3: Vs 7 - 12 says it all about tithing.
"Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the windows of heaven and pour out so much blessing".

The truth is if u dont pay tithe, you will pay to the devil. Either through hospital bills, devourers and paying ur way out from one problem to another. Ur 10% from ur earnings will not kill you but rather bring blessings upon u.

Giving to the needy is a voluntary thing. I pray devourers will not enter into our finances.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by ishmael(m): 10:08am On Mar 26, 2007
Why do you people always emphasize on some and not all of the old testament laws?? what about keeping the sabbath day holy?? Why do christians ignore keeping the sabbath day holy?? If Tithes must be paid then the sabbath day must be kept holy too.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by georgies(m): 11:03am On Mar 26, 2007
TITHE AND GIVING OF ALMS ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THING AND SHOULD NOT BE PUT TOGETHER.WHILE TITHE IS COMPULSORY,THE OTHER IS FREEWILL.TITHE IS AT LEAST ONE TENTH OF EVERY OF YOUR INCOME AND ALMS GIVING IS DONE IN THE POSITION OF YOUR HEART AND ACCORDING TO GODS FAVOUR IN YOUR LIFE.
IF YOU ARE ASKING OF THE MOST VITAL:TALK OF TITHE.SCRIPTURE DECLARES THAT YOU SHOULD PAY YOUR TITHE AND NOT GIVE YOUR TITHE.THIS MAKES IT AN OBLIGATION.WHEN YOU SAY GIVE TO THE NEEDY,ITS OPTIONAL.HENCE,NOT FORGETTING:"GIVE,AND IT SHALL BE GIVING UNTO U,FULL MEASURE,PRESSED DOWN, SHALL MEN GIVE UNTO U.
Re: Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? by busygirl(f): 11:42am On Mar 26, 2007
God commanded payin tithe in malachi, nd not payin God likened it 2 robbing him, while givin 2 d needy is not mandatory. If God has blessed u nd u're concerned about givin 2 d needy, GO AHEAD! each of them av their own rewards but they are 2 different things. If u ask me, I'll tell u dat it's extremely important 2 pay tithe. Tithe payers can all testify 2 dat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

MMM: 10 Things That Will Happen To Churches That Promoted Scheme– Pastor Adelaja / $1k Seed: Kasali To Funke Adejumo "Judgement Is Coming On You Soon" / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.