Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? (12855 Views)

What Is Pastured Poultry? What Is Free Range Chicken? What Is Cage Free Chicken? / Between Rabbit Farming And Poultry, What Can You Suggest For A Student / Are U Afraid of loss in Poultry Biz ??Think Noiler! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Mutemenot(m): 10:40am On Jun 08, 2018
op, What your Aunt faces in her biz is what almost all naija entrepreneurs see daily. Dose saying farm workers re wicked. have they spoken to hotel owners, supermarket or even petrol station owners? Falz says we re all thief shocked Just tell ur Aunt to invoke shrine, Okija shrine can serve better if u re within d East

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:42am On Jun 08, 2018
[quote author=shamecurls post=68289008]Just go occultic so you have access to fortified charms.

When 3 out the thieves crow before they die, the rest will come and plead with you.[/quote.......
Hmmmmm is that your final Answer?....just because of a poultry farm?..... And they said Buhari is wicked..... Many more Buhari are still roaming in the streets cheiii]
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by babadey(m): 10:42am On Jun 08, 2018
She should pay her Tithes from now on.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by YelloweWest: 10:48am On Jun 08, 2018
DEBJOCH1:
The only solution is to invoke the spirit of Ayilala, Songo, Obatanla, Shokpono, Amadioha, Ngene Ukwenu into your poultry farm. Poultry Farm attendants are the most wicked set of human on earth, they sent me parking, I had a farm, started with 1,200 layers, had my job going on for me and put farm attendant to man the farm for me while I visit farm on weekend, infact the guys dealt with me, I fired them and managed to get other one, those ones where even the worst, at the end I sold off the remaining, made a total lost. I hate poultry farm attendants to the call. My advise, never should any one be an absentee farmer.
Na wa o. I'm about opening a farm but now I'm scared.
How was the production level pls?
Outside the theft would you say it was a good business?
I intend to start with 2,000
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Maket: 10:50am On Jun 08, 2018
Employ someone for 24 hours to be in charge and compare the numbers of eggs Gotten to your previous one. After this, know how to handle your workers.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 08, 2018
donestk:
Greetings farmlanders,

I write on behalf of my aunt who's on the verge of shutting down her farm due to eggs theft by her workers.

The more she put in checks, the more the workers devise new means.

I promise to provide advisory to her on a lasting solution.

Farmlanders please proffer workable solutions to save a business on the verge of collapse.

Mod please move to FP.

Thanks!

Get an RF scanner, not barcode scanner. RF scanner please.

Separate the Broilers from the Layers. Let the Layers be groomed in special compartments.

Make sure only a trusted relative or staff have access to the layers unit in the morning, then use the RF scanners to code the eggs and install scan trackers at gate of the poultry.

When someone takes any egg, the scanner will set off an alarm and the thieves will be caught red-handed. Also add CCTV and keep an eye on each of them layers unit.

Now, what you do with the thieves, caught red handed will determine how the others will react.

When you catch the thief, put that thief through initial jungle justice of slaps and kick-boxing before handing over to the police. And at the Police Station, push the case to the court, customary court system is great as they will stay on awaiting trial for months, and follow the case through until the person faces institutional justice. I do not care if it is one egg.

This is how to hold down the thieves. And again, do not take this lightly, install scanners and teach these people a lesson.

I have hired over 10 cleaners this year, and I have lost valuables and cash up to 1m this year alone. Today, I am calling for 2 staff to be supplied and no one knows why people steal this much in the country even when they cry of joblessness and when you hire these fucckers, all they do is steal.

Stay tough and tell your aunt that the times have changed and you need to use technologies to catch these sophisticated thieves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Okadalifestyle(m): 10:52am On Jun 08, 2018
Install CCTV with solar systems to ensure efficiency. Use maximum security at entry and exit points. A farmer friend had similar encounter to the extent of staffs suffing eggs inside poultry droppings before moving them out of the pen. CCTV will make the dishonest staffs resgn within two months. Trust me.

2 Likes

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Cuteamigo1(m): 10:52am On Jun 08, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:
sack all the workers on that farm. put vacancies on church boards or bulletin or announcements to Godfearing staff. the golden rule is u must pay dem on time and train them. if u can install CCTV also in. farm.it will scare d life out of them
sense will not kill you.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by tofolo(m): 10:53am On Jun 08, 2018
grayht:
She should just ask each chicken how many eggs they laid per day
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by obembet(f): 10:53am On Jun 08, 2018
I need this info
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by YelloweWest: 10:53am On Jun 08, 2018
kenny714433:
This is 21st century abegi
CCTV answers it all after honest workers.
Can cctv work without light ?
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by afolayangs(m): 10:54am On Jun 08, 2018
also give them eggs on weekly basis as part of staff benefit.
kestephen:
My opinion might sound funny bt first put jus 1 or 2 persons in charge of d store were d crates of eggs are kept and they should b arrange in a way that could easily be counted on daily bases with ur record boy, number sold that day. Gve them strict warning that if any gets missing u would sack or deduct it 4rm their payment and as such no body is allowed inside d store apart 4rm them. If it still gets missing dismise all it means they are corrupt. secondly u could meet sum1 to do sumtin like charm with fowl feathers and hang in a way that only d workers can see make sure customers dnt come across it else u may lose some of them. Bside let ur workers knw that if any1 steals anything from d shop they will run mad afta 7days. Find d name of 1 strong native doctor 4rm ur side and tell them he was d one that prepared the charm. Thanks.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Ewamide(m): 10:54am On Jun 08, 2018
Am a farmer, I was also a victim of that too but what I did was that I lock the pen and go home with the key, they feed the chicken when am there and also pick the egg when am around until I gradually sack all of them, then employ anoda set of staff. Now I have rest of mind

3 Likes

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by twinskenny(m): 11:10am On Jun 08, 2018
donestk:
Greetings farmlanders,

I write on behalf of my aunt who's on the verge of shutting down her farm due to eggs theft by her workers.

Farmlanders please proffer workable solutions to save a business on the verge of collapse.

Mod please move to FP.

Thanks!

Install CCTV cameras..
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by 1nigeriamyfoot: 11:10am On Jun 08, 2018
knowledge4:
There is no control system that can be 100% effective which an absentee farmer can put in place to avoid egg thefts as long as the staffers are not honest.The best way to go is for the farmer who will not always be on the farm is to do the following:

When the chickens start egg production and have attained the peak of production and are laying consistently, the farmer must be present on the farm with the staff on daily basis for a week or two and determine the average egg production per day and per week. If the farmer is an absentee farmer, having determined the average egg production per week, let the staff know that that average is what must be delivered on daily or weekly basis.

If the chickens produce higher than the average, the staff can take the excess but the daily or weekly return must not fall below the average per day or week as the case may be. If it falls, they have to pay for the difference.Then when the chickens egg production enters the diminishing phase, the farmer has to set a new average egg production per day or per week.

If the farmer wants to see every egg laid, then he must be there 24 hours. If he cannot be there and has dishonest staffers, then this method is better. This means the farmer must understand the laying pattern of layers chickens over a period to be able to determine the average per day or week.

well said, besides we dont know if the chicken are well fed and the formulation of their feed is ok to have good production

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by 1nigeriamyfoot: 11:11am On Jun 08, 2018
afolayangs:
also give them eggs on weekly basis as part of staff benefit.
You are on point,although na monthly basis i dey do at 1crate per staff reminding them that RDA is 1egg per day grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Grupo(m): 11:13am On Jun 08, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:
sack all the workers on that farm. put vacancies on church boards or bulletin or announcements to Godfearing staff. the golden rule is u must pay dem on time and train them. if u can install CCTV also in. farm.it will scare d life out of them

Did I hear you say God fearing people? Those ones are even the worst thieves. Moreover, doesn't everyone in Nigeria claim to be God fearing?

The God fearing people that their daddy G O already told that this year is their year will steal your things and say it is the unmerited favor of God. They will even go to church, pay tithe with the stolen money and also give testimony of how God is blessing them in their workplace.

2 Likes

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by ConcernedNL: 11:18am On Jun 08, 2018
donestk:
Greetings farmlanders,

Mod please move to FP.

Thanks!

You need few people to be accountable for the eggs, maybe 1 person. One store person. So if there are thefts, you know who to hold. install cctv, No bags allowed on entry to the poultry. install a cctv at the poultry and at the entrance or exit. randomly check whoever disobeys, sack them.

Dont hesitate to sack people, or else they would sack you
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Uniqueaccountant(m): 11:19am On Jun 08, 2018
donestk:
Greetings farmlanders,

Mod please move to FP.
Good
Thanks!
estimate the number of eggs to be collected in a week...mploy workers n give them target based on that estimate...no stories
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by sp2002(m): 11:20am On Jun 08, 2018
Ewamide:
Am a farmer, I was also a victim of that too but what I did was that I lock the pen and go home with the key, they feed the chicken when am there and also pick the egg when am around until I gradually sack all of them, then employ anoda set of staff. Now I have rest of mind
absolutely, this is the best method if you cant install a CCTV on the farm
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by onatisi(m): 11:20am On Jun 08, 2018
knowledge4:
There is no control system that can be 100% effective which an absentee farmer can put in place to avoid egg thefts as long as the staffers are not honest.The best way to go is for the farmer who will not always be on the farm is to do the following:

When the chickens start egg production and have attained the peak of production and are laying consistently, the farmer must be present on the farm with the staff on daily basis for a week or two and determine the average egg production per day and per week. If the farmer is an absentee farmer, having determined the average egg production per week, let the staff know that that average is what must be delivered on daily or weekly basis.

If the chickens produce higher than the average, the staff can take the excess but the daily or weekly return must not fall below the average per day or week as the case may be. If it falls, they have to pay for the difference.Then when the chickens egg production enters the diminishing phase, the farmer has to set a new average egg production per day or per week.

If the farmer wants to see every egg laid, then he must be there 24 hours. If he cannot be there and has dishonest staffers, then this method is better. This means the farmer must understand the laying pattern of layers chickens over a period to be able to determine the average per day or week.
Very good suggestion
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Jasperro(m): 11:22am On Jun 08, 2018
CCTV IS A GOAL
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by mejai(m): 11:41am On Jun 08, 2018
let her ask d chickens
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by anidat77(m): 11:41am On Jun 08, 2018
Very easy solution.
In the middle of the night, Install some motion activated hidden cameras , position them at different points in the place to view the eggs during collection. Get only three people to have access to the collection points. When fully charged they can record to 4 days on motion activated mode only and should tell you total number of eggs picked for 4 or more days depending on battery capacity. It has a small memory card you can swap to review videos.

My Brother had a similar problem with his game cafe, always getting N2,500.00 total access ticket sales for games played for a full day.
I kept telling him his staff sit around after close of work eating Suya and roasted chicken daily hin no dey hear my own.

Finally he installed a camera at the payment point and from that day ticket sales jumped to N9,000.00 daily.
So mitigate theft with cheap technology....you'll soon see that the gains outweigh the costs.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by babestella: 11:54am On Jun 08, 2018
You hardly find honest people in Nigeria, this is one major problem in running a business in Nigeria. Even in corporate world, you see them steal with their pen.

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by tosinet(m): 12:10pm On Jun 08, 2018
NotComplaining:
CCTV, offer staff bonuses with targets, audit entry and exit; use rf access cards, allocate sections to individual or teams of staff to manage.

Create problems to see how staff respond.

Employing a bit of technology will go a long way in curbing crime on the farm.

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by mamatwiny(f): 12:24pm On Jun 08, 2018
YelloweWest:

Can cctv work without light ?

Exactly.
You need advise of practical farmers.
A female nairalander that owns a poultry farm somewhere in lagos( i think ajah or lbeju lekki area) encountered this problem. You can use your search button to see how he solved the issue. When she installed cctv, the attendants learnt to be doing the stealing at night and farm areas with lighting issue issues were hit,they also crack the eggs and put in feeder bottles and sell to mai shai and bakers around. The smaller farms around were buying her poultry feed from her workers.

The way you handle the first person caught goes a long way in solving the issue. Use police yo deal with the thief and make sure the case is delayed , if possible, get the buyers involved in the case. After that, they will ear to buy stolen goods

Another solution is to employ foreigners or honest hausa ppl on a 2 year contract basis. Change them after a while.

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by Drwyz: 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
She should get a CCTV with an IP installed, if possible, one with 8 camera at strategic point, she will be able to view activities in her poultry via her phone or any internet enabled device, the cost of installation will be less than her loses in the long run. This is 95%. Try it and thank me later

1 Like

Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by CoolAmbience(m): 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2018
HRHQueenPhil:

Lol!

Church boards.....God-fearing.....that made me laugh.

I think the CCTV thing makes sense though.
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by olushowunm(m): 12:34pm On Jun 08, 2018
donestk:
Greetings farmlanders,

Mod please move to FP.

Thanks!
she can get vigilante as security and with strict warning to his superiors that if any egg or chicken miss.. Na him go pay... Everybody will comport..
Re: Eggs Theft In Poultry: What Is The Way Out? by mikolam(m): 12:46pm On Jun 08, 2018
Luciferan369:

Get an RF scanner, not barcode scanner. RF scanner please.

Separate the Broilers from the Layers. Let the Layers be groomed in special compartments.

Make sure only a trusted relative or staff have access to the layers unit in the morning, then use the RF scanners to code the eggs and install scan trackers at gate of the poultry.

When someone takes any egg, the scanner will set off an alarm and the thieves will be caught red-handed. Also add CCTV and keep an eye on each of them layers unit.

Now, what you do with the thieves, caught red handed will determine how the others will react.

When you catch the thief, put that thief through initial jungle justice of slaps and kick-boxing before handing over to the police. And at the Police Station, push the case to the court, customary court system is great as they will stay on awaiting trial for months, and follow the case through until the person faces institutional justice. I do not care if it is one egg.

This is how to hold down the thieves. And again, do not take this lightly, install scanners and teach these people a lesson.

I have hired over 10 cleaners this year, and I have lost valuables and cash up to 1m this year alone. Today, I am calling for 2 staff to be supplied and no one knows why people steal this much in the country even when they cry of joblessness and when you hire these fucckers, all they do is steal.

Stay tough and tell your aunt that the times have changed and you need to use technologies to catch these sophisticated thieves.

I have a question. CCTV Needs electricity to operate. With power in Nigeria, that is not feasible without Generator. This leads to fuel expense, or another problem if fuel is scarce. How do you manage these costs for the farm?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Poultry Farming Business Setup In Nigeria, Africa / Ebonyi Acquires Bulldozers To Boost Rice Production With / Catfish Fingerling And Juvenile Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.