Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,673 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Serious Marriage Interference By In Law - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Serious Marriage Interference By In Law (2573 Views)

Woman Slams Her Husband's Side Chick, Her Brother -In-Law Supports Side Chick / Man Impregnates His Mother-In-Law In Nasarawa (Photo) / Man Impregnates Sister-In-Law In Lagos. His Wife Got Impregnated By Another Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Serious Marriage Interference By In Law by chii8(f): 2:12pm On Jun 05, 2018
But, Acidosis is it proper for newlyweds to have family member around few months after wedding?

Op,where was this guy before you married your husband? I lived with my husband's younger brother for a year after our wedding though(they have been living together beforehand),but he used to give us a lot of space and I also enjoyed his company too.(I managed those days because he was never in my way and vice versa).
If I were you, I would just take time to study him and learn how to relate with him,as in look for his strength and ignore his weakness because he's not going to be there forever.
Nigerian marriages is too tasking, our mothers were more patient.
Re: Serious Marriage Interference By In Law by Acidosis(m): 2:25pm On Jun 05, 2018
Orchid45:
I have read a few of your comments on issues pertaining to marital problems, especially when the OP is a woman.

These are serious allegations bro.

The earlier you start understanding that women are generally hostile towards "strangers", the better. My point is this, OP's husband would probably have maintained same stance if that "intruder" was OP's elder or younger brother.
Re: Serious Marriage Interference By In Law by Acidosis(m): 2:55pm On Jun 05, 2018
chii8:
But, Acidosis is it proper for newlyweds to have family member around few months after wedding?

I'll say Yes and No. If a family member from a different state needs to pass the night in my house for an interview, I will allow him/her regardless of whether I just got married or not. But live in for as long as he/she wants? No I won't, especially when there are no extra rooms or food for guests.

Op,where was this guy before you married your husband? I lived with my husband's younger brother for a year after our wedding though(they have been living together beforehand),but he used to give us a lot of space and I also enjoyed his company too.(I managed those days because he was never in my way and vice versa).
If I were you, I would just take time to study him and learn how to relate with him,as in look for his strength and ignore his weakness because he's not going to be there forever.
Way to go! You're wise ma'am.

Nigerian marriages is too tasking, our mothers were more patient.

I agree to be honest. My only concern is that the cycle will likely continue especially with the increasing cost of weddings. Just go on Instagram and see how photographers, decor pages, makeup artistes, etc, have proliferated the cyberspace. A photographer recently gave a friend a N298k quote for wedding photographs only! N298k to just take photos and get likes on Facebook or Bellanaija. I'm sorry to say this photography used to be one of the most ridiculed professions back in the days but what do we have today? The trend has changed. Makeup artistes are everywhere all looking for the next bride to charge their ridiculous painting fees.

Of course, in-laws are fully aware, they know how much their 'buroda' spent on his wedding, they're aware their 'buroda' has never spent a quarter of the wedding expenses on the family so they lay the aggression on who? The sweet bride whose only crime was falling in love with buroda (frustration-aggression theory). Even if it isn't true, they believe their buroda has spent so much on bride price and engagement lists so someone got to pay.

These have been the trend lately and it isn't going to get better as different forces seem to have hijacked the whole marriage concept.

To change the trend, emerging and new generation parents must learn to imbibe in their children the right culture.
Re: Serious Marriage Interference By In Law by Acidosis(m): 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2018
Look at what I found on Quora

There isn't a societal mechanism by which a bride price would be paid in the United States. Instead, the newlyweds’ families may give gifts of money and property to the couple upon wedding.

In America, if parents asked for a bride price, it would reflect negatively upon that family, and a tremendous amount of approval/respect/social status would be lost. Assimilated Americans reject the idea that an extended family would financially benefit from the marriage of a child, as to do so is perceived as ungracious and unfortunate.

Before the 20th century, U.S. states had property rules that would assign a woman’s property to her spouse at marriage, but only to him - not to his extended family. From the country’s founding, there was no formal mechanism in America for a bride price, as opposed to a dowry, which is a gift given to benefit the bride/couple and not their parents.

So, what do American parents get when their children marry? In the best scenarios, they receive joy and thanks, and continued relationship with the couple and future grandchildren.

All African families should reflect on this piece. Not only have we commercialized and radicalized the marriage concept, we have also made a merchandise of the whole idea of marriage. The negative foundation of marriage in Africa is the basis of your problem.
Re: Serious Marriage Interference By In Law by babeosisi: 4:29pm On Jun 05, 2018
ahnie:
my husby stated it clearly to his people/mine that none of them shud disturb us.no body shud stay with us.but you're allowed to come visit..highest 2-3weeks pack your bag gage and leave.

Even when my lazy sister in law came and
was stressing me to cook another soup,simply because she does not eat ogbono
soup and ice fish.

Husby called her out in my presence told her
That sinc she's in his house,that what he eats z what she wiii eat.and told her not to ever ever bug me again,and warned me sternly in her presence to send her out whenever she tries that rubbish n that I shud learnt to take charge of my home.

Till today..no body tries that nonsence with me both from my side too.

I love your husband already.
Everyman needs to set that boundary with his people from day one
Mine did
It didn't go down well with some but they respect it
I'm glad he did
The OP is talking about brother inlaw,the greatest pain in marriage often comes from sisters of the man especially an older unmarried sister
The married ones will want to also control their brother''s home
Thankfully I don't have that issue maybe distance helped so every time we meet it's a happy short reunion grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's Your Thought About Changing My Surname From... / Thanks / Rest In Peace Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.