Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit (5402 Views)

10 Health Benefits Of Garlic You Should Know / 10 Health Benefits Of Cucumber You Should Know / 10 Health Benefits Of Wild Lettuce (efo Yanrin In Yoruba) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Rekyz(m): 9:50am On Jun 04, 2018
Jackfruit (popularly known as Ukwa in Igbo) is a tree species belonging to the mulberry family and is native to parts of Southern (e.g. India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) and Southeast Asia (e.g. Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia) but it also found in Africa as well as Brazil.
Jackfruit is mainly cultivated in tropical or close to tropical climates. It considered as the largest tree-borne fruit in the world which could reach 36 kg in weight, 90 cm long and 50 cm in diameter.
Jackfruit is very sweet and tasty, when the jackfruit is opened, you will find the bright yellow pods (when ripe) which can be eaten raw or cooked. When unripe its flesh is green, and it can be made into a delicious vegetable dish.
Apart from its delightful taste, jackfruit is also rich in important nutrient like vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium and many other nutrients.

1. Boost immune system
Jackfruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, a powerful nutrient which helps protect against viral and bacterial infections. Vitamin C helps to boost immune system by supporting the white blood cells function. One cup of jackfruit can supply the body with a very good amount of this powerful antioxidant.

2. Protect against cancer
In addition to containing vitamin C, jackfruit is also rich in phytonutrients, such as lignans, isoflavones and saponins, which are have anti-cancer and anti-aging properties. These phytonutrients may help eliminate cancer-causing free radicals from the body and slow the degeneration of cells that can lead to degenerative diseases.

3. Aids in healthy digestion
Jackfruit is also known to contain anti-ulcer properties which help cure ulcers and digestive disorders. In addition, the present of high fiber in the jackfruit prevents constipation and helps in smooth bowel movements. These fibers also offer protection against colon mucous membrane by removing the carcinogenic chemicals from the large intestine (colon).

4. Maintain a healthy eye and skin
Jackfruit contains vitamin A, a powerful nutrient which is known to maintain a healthy eye and skin. It also helps prevent vision-related problems such as macular degeneration and night blindness.

5. Lower blood pressure
The potassium contained in jackfruit has been found to be helpful in lowering blood pressure and thus reducing the risk of heart attack as well as stroke.

6. Energy boost
Jackfruit is considered as an energy boosting fruit due to the presence of simple sugars like fructose and sucrose which give you an almost immediate energy boost. Although jackfruit is an energy boosting fruit, it contains no saturated fats or cholesterol, making it one of the healthy fruits to savor.

7. Treat asthma
The root of jackfruit has been found useful in helping those who suffer from asthma. To treat this condition, you need to boil the jackfruit root and drink it. Alternatively, you may use the extract of jackfruit root orally to treat asthma.

8. Prevent anemia
The iron in jackfruit helps to prevent anemia and also helps in proper blood circulation in the body.

9. Strengthen the bones
Jackfruit is rich in magnesium, a nutrient which is important in the absorption of calcium and work with calcium to help strengthen the bone and prevent bone related disorders such as osteoporosis.

10. Maintain a healthy thyroid
Copper plays an important role in the thyroid metabolism, especially in hormone production and absorption. Also, copper is required for the synthesis of phospholipids, which are needed for the stimulation of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Therefore, correct levels are vital to prevent thyroid problems, and jackfruit is loaded with this important micromineral.
https://www.ehealthzine.com/health-benefits-of-jackfruit.html

1 Like

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Rekyz(m): 9:54am On Jun 04, 2018
I got these from northern Cross River (Boki LGA)

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by manitobor(m): 1:09pm On Jun 04, 2018
I thought it's called breadfruit.
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Rekyz(m): 8:14pm On Jun 04, 2018
manitobor:
I thought it's called breadfruit.
I think people mistake these two. But jackfruit is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family. Breadfruit and jackfruit are similar
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by sayo147(f): 9:29pm On Jun 04, 2018
This is Breadfruit sir. You may like to check for pictures of jackfruit on Google, never seen jackfruit in Nigeria.
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Rekyz(m): 10:46pm On Jun 04, 2018
sayo147:
This is Breadfruit sir. You may like to check for pictures of jackfruit on Google, never seen jackfruit in Nigeria.
Ok, thanks so much. I'd checked for the pictures on Google, both are similar. I just couldn't differentiate them.
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Ugojoe11: 9:51am On Nov 16, 2019
[b][/b]
Rekyz:
I got these from northern Cross River (Boki LGA)

oga that thing you got from northern cross River State isn't jackfruit....the only similar thing between jackfruit and breadfruit is just the fruit in their spelling...
I haven't seen jackfruit in Nigeria but I saw it in Kampala Uganda , jackfruit seed is way bigger than breadfruit and as am typing these am enjoying my jackfruit now like it's nobody's business, thank you
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by frankpro27(m): 6:39am On Jul 22, 2021
Ugojoe11:
[b][/b]

oga that thing you got from northern cross River State isn't jackfruit....the only similar thing between jackfruit and breadfruit is just the fruit in their spelling...
I haven't seen jackfruit in Nigeria but I saw it in Kampala Uganda , jackfruit seed is way bigger than breadfruit and as am typing these am enjoying my jackfruit now like it's nobody's business, thank you

Jackfruit is in Nigeria. Have it in my compound In Anambra state. The fruit is edible. Not the seed like in breadfruit. Very sweet
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by sagitariusbaby(m): 9:07pm On Jan 25, 2022
sayo147:
we have the tree in our compound, jackfruit can be grown here

Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by Isokoboy(m): 2:51pm On Apr 09, 2022
I ate this fruit another when I was young
Re: 10 Health Benefits Of Jackfruit by NLegendforte: 7:25pm On Feb 18, 2023
Just ate it today, very sweet.

(1) (Reply)

How To Ease Back Pain During Pregnancy / Help I'm A One Minute Man! / Does Hypo Bleach The Skin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.