Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? (9500 Views)

Uniben Dpt. Of Enl Lacks A Library; See What's Left Of Their Past Projects! / What Do I Do With A Degree In Library And Information Science / Siwes (it) Report For Library And Information Science Department (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Gerald620: 9:57am On Jun 10, 2018
These two terms seem familiar. I had a serious argument with someone yesterday regarding this. I tried to make him understand the two terms are clearly different, I even cited examples. But, he instead they are the same.

Please, intelligent people in the house, your answers are needed to end this puzzle. Thanks.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Viralkid: 10:13am On Jun 10, 2018
There's various differences between archive and library, major differences are
archives possess information of unpublished documents while libraries have published works, mostly archives are more like files kept in a folder while the library books are in hard cover, archives may not be read without permission from the person in charge of storing them.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Gerald620: 11:31am On Jun 10, 2018
Viralkid:
There's various differences between archive and library, major differences are
archives possess information of unpublished documents while libraries have published works, mostly archives are more like files kept in a folder while the library books are in hard cover, archives may not be read without permission from the person in charge of storing them.
Archives are not for immediate use while libraries are accessible 24/7.

7 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Gerald620: 11:33am On Jun 10, 2018
More contributions pls.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by olametrix(m): 7:56am On Jun 11, 2018
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]d
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by dafeyankee: 7:57am On Jun 11, 2018
None.

Both contain books.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by lonelydora: 7:57am On Jun 11, 2018
I'm here to read comments. Let me bring seat for others like me.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 11, 2018
THE DIFFERENCE IS SCHOOL
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Celestyn8213: 7:58am On Jun 11, 2018
Let's google it

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by olametrix(m): 7:59am On Jun 11, 2018
GOD FORGIVE THEM

Bajjahgfx:
grin
lonelydora:
dafeyankee:
None.
Both contain books.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by nony43(m): 7:59am On Jun 11, 2018
F
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Jasperro(m): 8:00am On Jun 11, 2018
Archives are restricted while everyone can access a library

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by oreslaw: 8:00am On Jun 11, 2018
Thank u my sister as if u no I need d seat.
lonelydora:

3 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by olowobaba10: 8:03am On Jun 11, 2018
a
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:03am On Jun 11, 2018
Archive is a place for storing earlier, and often historical, material. An archive usually contains documents (letters, records, newspapers, etc.) or other types of media kept for historical interest.
For one to assess an archive material he/she needs a permission

while library is an institution which holds books and/or other forms of stored information for use by the public or qualified people. It is usual, but not a defining feature of a library, for it to be housed in rooms of a building, to lend items of its collection to members either with or without payment, and to provide various other services for its community of users.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Wallade(m): 8:04am On Jun 11, 2018
Documents and books in the library are often on display: they are offered to library users and open to the public.

Documents and books in Archives are stacked or packed into cartons or bulks and the archives aren't open to the piblic; the archives are maintained privately.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by peacockremi(m): 8:14am On Jun 11, 2018
Jasperro:
Archives are restricted while everyone can access a library
every one including mad man?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by MrCork: 8:18am On Jun 11, 2018
Gerald620:
These two terms seem familiar. I had a serious argument with someone yesterday regarding this. I tried to make him understand the two terms are clearly different, I even cited examples. But, he instead they are the same.

Please, intelligent people in the house, your answers are needed to end this puzzle. Thanks.

...we chase chicks in library....we archive things in archive(wot ever that means) >
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by oratorOdunayo1(m): 8:19am On Jun 11, 2018
Gerald620:
More contributions pls.

Let us wake up now , I will comment when I reach my duty post .

But when will I hit the FTC space ?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by lastempero: 8:22am On Jun 11, 2018
It's obvious,the spelling amd pronounciation grin
Wishing all ya nairalanders a productive week ahead and lets try and eschew tribal war this week abeg.last week wasnt easy i want retire from this war i beg una.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by DonFreshmoney(m): 8:22am On Jun 11, 2018
Library contains old and recent books, magazines, articles and media.

Archive contains only historical materials for reading and viewing pleasure.

God give me plenty sense walahi.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by lastempero: 8:24am On Jun 11, 2018
It's obvious,the spelling and pronounciation grin
Wishing all ya nairalanders a productive week ahead and lets try and eschew tribal war this week abeg.last week wasnt easy i want retire from this war i beg una.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 11, 2018
The major difference is that Archives are stores for ancient books or resources, they mostly contain resources you can't find in the library probably because of its old status. While Libraries are stores of recent resources... as a librarian, one of the qualities you look out for before you stock your library is 'currency' (not money o grin) but how current the materials you are purchasing are while the older ones move to the archive.. I see people saying archives are restricted, same goes for libraries as there are various types of libraries and users,

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by ElsonMorali: 8:47am On Jun 11, 2018
I think a library is only one of the many types of an archive.

Of course I stand to be corrected.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by potent5(m): 8:48am On Jun 11, 2018
Archives are mainly for keeping records of events, important state/government publications like gazettes, maps, treaties, etc. while libraries are mainly places where books are are kept for studying. Archives are often not accessible to the public except you have a particular material in mind that you are looking for. Libraries on the other hand are open to the public and you can actually go there before deciding what books you want to read. Archives are not a place you can take your own books to and read unlike the libraries where you can take your own books to read. Archives are not places where you go to study, but the libraries are.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by iamdapsyj(m): 9:05am On Jun 11, 2018
Op. self!! Open dictionary to check the difference na!!!
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 9:23am On Jun 11, 2018
Why recycling the same answer over and over again, archives is a place where files are kept,it may contain some vital information that needs authorization before accessing to it, while a library is a place already arranged and prepared for you to read more books and increase your zero IQ.

Thank you.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? by Dollabiz: 9:29am On Jun 11, 2018
hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Have Better Job Opportunities, Biochemistry Or Microbiology? / Free Standard Cover Page For Term Papers / OMG! Where These Students Were Caught Studying Will Shock You (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.