Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? (51057 Views)

Why Is The Programming Language Called "Java" Based On A Coffee Type Name? / Any Job Prospect For One Who Studies Software Engineering At NIIT Please? / Nigerians Who Studied Abroad, Do You Have Any Regrets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:44pm On Jun 11, 2018
DECENCY3:
A person who studies English is ENGLISH STUDENT

A person who studied English is ENGLISH GRADUATE

chai! I really tried

This ur post means another thing entirely

You must suffix 'Language' to the English so as pass ur message across.

is the person is from England??
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by mannobi(m): 9:46pm On Jun 11, 2018
]A linguistic is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistic in English, linguistic in French , linguistic in Yoruba, Linguistic in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist[/quote]
It's Linguistics is the scientific study of language. Not linguistic. Don't massacre the course if you don't know it's a big error to omit the S
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 9:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
[s]Obviously, the tone in which you wrote with doesn't require exclamation mark, and more especially, your last statement. A full stop would've done justice[/s].
What tone, dear? Tones are named. So, what tone?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:50pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...find an error...

Or

...find errors...

The second is better in the context of your sentence.

The Grammatic Prof. I dey hail you oh! grin
I hope say you can read and understand pidgin English grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

So, I should now write the tone in which you used an exclamation mark for?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 9:52pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

Ok ok...ok.. BinaTone stabiliser you mean
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:01pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, I should now write the tone in which you used an exclamation mark for?
Since you know the tone of my sentence, name it. If you can't name it, you can't say the exclamation mark was abused.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:02pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

Ok ok...ok.. BinaTone stabiliser you mean
grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

The Grammatic Prof. I dey hail you oh! grin
I hope say you can read and understand pidgin English grin
Pidgin English na we own.

wink
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

Since you know the tone of my sentence, name it. If you can't name it, you can't say the exclamation mark was abused.
I see that you want to justify yourself by claiming I don't know the tone you used. Now to you, which tone did you actually use? Screaming, Surprise, disgust, awe, and any other you know of?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by writeprof(m): 10:08pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englitician
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Iamzik: 10:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
BadmanBinLaden:
An englishcian

Hahaha I opened this thread expecting someone to type this... And you didn't disappoint
grin grin grin grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Platony(m): 10:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
If Mathematics is Mathematician,...why won't English be Englishian. angry
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by saintkeppy(m): 10:10pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

Pidgin English na we own.

wink

Wow! The Prof. Don ConFam am!
Case klosed cool
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:21pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
I see that you want to justify yourself by claiming I don't know the tone you used. Now to you, which tone did you actually use? Screaming, Surprise, disgust, awe, and any other you know of?
Did you now type this to show you were never sure of the tone? If you were never sure, why did you then say the exclamation mark was abused?
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by GrammarNazi1(m): 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:

Wow! The Prof. Don ConFam am!
Case klosed cool
cool
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jun 11, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

Did you now type this to show you were never sure of the tone? If you were never sure, why did you then say the exclamation mark was abused?
From those sentences, being a reply to an earlier post, none of the aforementioned tones should've been used. But if you think otherwise, tell me which you used then we can continue this conversation from there. Goodnight.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Paul112(m): 10:43pm On Jun 11, 2018
An englist hahahaha
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Tonimordred(m): 10:46pm On Jun 11, 2018
Go ask OLAMIDE what is english....emi ku gbo inglis,kowo sha ti pe kowo le oti finish
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Tonimordred(m): 10:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
kimbraa:
So, months back while in my friend's room, her room mate asked a question and it goes; "A person who studies/studied English language is called what? Well, I said he/she is a linguist, and she asked if I was sure. Told her to check on google, but she said she couldn't find the answer to it on google. Just this night, I remembered to ask a linguist in my room the same question, and she said I was wrong as studying a language doesn't make one a linguist, but she can't answer the question. Where are my English and Literature students? What's a person who studies/studied English Language called?
Go ask OLAMIDE what is english....emi ku gbo inglis,kowo sha ti pe kowo le oti finish
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Teaveapoet(f): 10:49pm On Jun 11, 2018
Grammarian
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Slimsly100(f): 10:59pm On Jun 11, 2018
Linguistian

grin
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by John636: 11:25pm On Jun 11, 2018
Englishee
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by ImaIma1(f): 11:45pm On Jun 11, 2018
Grammarian now.
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by MrGerald(m): 11:47pm On Jun 11, 2018
asuustrike2009:
A linguistic is the scientific study of language and its structure, including the study of grammar, syntax, and phonetics. We have various type of linguistics. They include linguistic in English, linguistic in French , linguistic in Yoruba, Linguistic in Efik and among others. A person who studies a language is called a linguist. Hence if I study French or English I am a linguist
The question is about a person who studies /studied English and not linguist, Ina ako ogologo akuko!
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Taku555(m): 11:48pm On Jun 11, 2018
saintkeppy:
Studied English: English Language Graduate

Studies English: English Language Student

Ok, wait a minute!

English Language Trainee grin
it is called a graduate of language not language graduate

It is a student of language not language student.

Take note...
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Nobody: 12:05am On Jun 12, 2018
MrGerald:
The question is about a person who studies /studied English and not linguist, Ina ako ogologo akuko!
Probably you didn't digest piece I wrote. If you did, you wouldn't quote me
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by MarieSucre(f): 12:20am On Jun 12, 2018
femi4:
A grammarian is a person who believes that they have some type of mastery over the English
Mastery over grammar not English. Grammar can be under any language i.e French, Spanish, Deutsch etc
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Jimmy231: 1:25am On Jun 12, 2018
BadmanBinLaden:
An englishcian
Walai elopolo
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Jimmy231: 1:27am On Jun 12, 2018
kimbraa:
Are you sure? I couldn't get much on this on google. grin
why u they take this kind person serious
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Jimmy231: 1:35am On Jun 12, 2018
ObservantFellow:
Linguist nah
linguist is a person who study different foreign language or who study linguistic
Re: What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? by Jimmy231: 1:42am On Jun 12, 2018
jusRadical:

An Englisher.
Next please.
ayele Oooo ibosioooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Which Federal University is the cheapest in Nigeria / Endsars: Students Create Lecture Timetable In Case ASUU Calls Off / I Scored 300 In My JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.