Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,404 members, 7,861,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:55 AM

Consequences Of Being Successful In Nigeria And Solutions. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Consequences Of Being Successful In Nigeria And Solutions. (448 Views)

The Consequences Of Nigerian Civil Servants Retiring At Age 65 / Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable And Solutions To The Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Consequences Of Being Successful In Nigeria And Solutions. by Ubijus1(m): 9:16am On Jun 12, 2018
I've heard it said that some people fear success. Well, that might hold true in some climes. However, I'll centre my thoughts around Nigeria where I was born and raised.

Ask a native of the 1st world whether they'd like a billion dollars and you'd get mixed responses.

Some would say yes, some would say they don't need it to be happy, and the rest would ask for some time to think about it.

Ask Nigerians and the answer is mostly an overwhelming yes. Ask them what they would do with it and they would say, "Bring it first".

So most Nigerians don't fear success. What is felt by some, is a fear of the CONSEQUENCES OF BEING SUCCESSFUL IN NIGERIA!

This fear exists in many people here in the most subconscious forms. This is why many people self-sabotage when they're on the brink of a breakthrough.

I've seen people take courses on how to become influencers, but they never practice because they have a secret fear of being seen by many.

Do not worry.

It is my hope that this post brings these hidden demons to the light, gives you fresh armour with which to conquer them and provides you the audacity to shine like the star that you are.

These Consequences of being Successful In Nigeria are real, but not without their antidotes. Here goes.

====
CONSEQUENCE 1
====

In Nigeria, you will be TAXED HEAVILY for prosperity, not only by the government, but also by family, friends, artisans and domestic workers.

You just spent an arm and a leg to move into a new house or purchase a new vehicle and they ask you to 'wash it'.

Your extended family will summon you to build a house in a village you have no intention of living in.

When you take your car to a mechanic, the quality of your wristwatch will determine how much he will charge you or the problems he will manufacture in the car.

Your gateman will make up stories about sick parents he needs money to help.

It's like the system resents you for making it out alive and seeks to take from you with every chance it gets.

====
SOLUTION
====

Listen, do not be ashamed or afraid of disappointing people.

Sometimes you're forced into debt and other difficult situations just because you don't want to lose face.

Ehn yes, a whole you does not have 'common 30k' to lend them.

They are free to goan tweet about it.

"But we heard that Ikenna is doing very well in the city. A man that has not built at least one mansion in his village, is that one a man?"

Ehn, leave it like that. Shebi when you do your midnight dance with your wife, she confirms that you're a man. That's all the validation you need.

Fire dey go.

====
CONSEQUENCE 2
====

POOR PEOPLE will hate you!

Pocket Poverty is understandable and can be reasoned with, but Poverty of the Brain is a deadly disease.

People who suffer this are in such misery, that they wish for 'The Rich Also Cry' to be made manifest in your life.

Ask bloggers. Whenever something negative or sorrowful happens to a successful person, that article will get a lot of views.

"She's making so much money, why can't she give to charity"

When she gives, they'll say, "Only 100k? I'm disappointed"

If a member of your family isn't financially prosperous, they'll use them against you.

"With all the money she's making, her parents are living in a common 2 bedroom flat in Ikeja. Why not move them to Banana Island. We know she can afford it"

They don't know your internal family dynamics and they don't care to know.

If you lose a loved one, they'll say you used their blood to blow.

It's like they want that reassurance that there's nothing special about you.

====
SOLUTION
====

There's no solution.

Just remember that the only pat on the back you need is God telling you "Well Done" for a life well lived.

Trust me, the mob doesn't matter.

====
CONSEQUENCE 3
====

Your PERSONAL LIFE WILL COME UNDER HEAVY SCRUTINY.
If you were used to a quiet existence before, you can kiss that lifestyle goodbye.

There are people who will insist on visiting you at home just to satisfy their curiosity. They'll look out for chinks in your armour that they can use to fuel gossip.

They'll make mental notes of the food you eat, how you spend money, even how you relate with your spouse.

Some will have recording devices on them so they can quote you verbatim on issues personal to you.

What do you think bloggers mean when they say "We were reliably informed by a source close to the family that her husband has been unfaithful"?

====
SOLUTION
====

I've made long posts here on this point alone. Rigorously vet your circle.
Guard yourself and private matters from unnecessary exposure.

If you're the sort of person who needs to be around a lot of random people in order to feel happy, cure that sickness AS A MATTER OF SUPREME URGENCY!

Hire a security firm to make periodic sweeps of your home and office to find out if you've been bugged. If you can't afford to, research on Youtube. There are ways to do this yourself.

I personally know one successful person who won't talk to you unless you consent to a full body scan.

====
CONSEQUENCE 4
====

You'll often be held hostage to standards even they cannot uphold.

Now, this is a tricky one that affects a lot of people, especially those dealing with some secret issues from a past or current life situation.

You have inadequacies you'd rather keep private and so you do just enough good work, not the great ones that will expose you to the public eye.

You keep your own self down, even though you're capable of so much more.

You didn't ask to be famous.

You were poor before. You worked hard to make money and now you're expected to be Mother Theresa.

"That one that could not keep her marriage, she cannot tell me anything about entrepreneurship"

"See his daughter insulting him on Instagram. How can he talk to me about leadership when he cannot lead his own home?"

"Look at her. Today New York, tomorrow Geneva. Na sugar daddy o jare. Make we hear word."

====
SOLUTION
====

Remember that song by Usher and T.I.?

"My life, your entertainment
You watch it while I live it"

Listen. Enjoy the show.

Keep walking in your purpose.

Keep making headlines, while they rage in the comments section.

Keep stacking those accomplishments and making bold statements, while they fulfill their own purpose in the comments section of life.

====

Can you now see that the devil is a liar?

There's no reason to NOT live your best life.

YOU WERE BORN FOR THIS!

Don't hide. Don't be shy about compliments.
Never stutter. Stand straight and tall.

Feel grateful, but entitled to every good thing that comes your way.

It's God's will for you.

Every road traveled, everything you've been through and grown through, every situation you survived... they've all prepared you for this ultimate dance.

Step into THE LIMELIGHT AND GIVE US A GREAT SHOW!

Credit; John Obidi.

https://wakanda.ng/consequences-successful-nigeria-solutions/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consequences Of Being Successful In Nigeria And Solutions. by Ubijus1(m): 9:21am On Jun 12, 2018
quite a lot of lessons for all of us.
cc: lalasticlala, mynd44, CrazyMan, 1forall

(1) (Reply)

Oil And Gas Employment Training / Which Would You Prefer, To Be A Poor Free Man Or A Rich Prisoner? / I Need Your Help About Taxi Business In Ph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.