Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,069 members, 7,828,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

How to handle finances in Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How to handle finances in Marriage (5987 Views)

My Husband Wants To Know Everything About My Finances. / Does Living Among The Rich Affect One's Social Mobility, Finances Etc? / 61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 7:46am On Jun 15, 2018
bukatyne:

You are making my case for me.

In theory, (practical life is much more complex) women are to do chores and men are to finance the home.

Shouldn't it occur to anyone that it would be natural for a woman to feel 'bitter' when she is financing the home because she is expected to do the chores + finance the home?

Why do people behave as if the 'bitterness' is a vice especially when the husband is still traditionally inclined?

On the flip side, would a husband be happy picking up most of the domestic work after financing the home?

You're right, a woman who's a co-provider, footing 50% or even more would feel bitter and resentful doing most of the chores. But my point is, in majority of the cases, even in the so called civilized countries, women who contribute more end up doing MOST of the house chores. Point is even when faced with cultural evolution, most men will still be men.

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 8:52am On Jun 15, 2018
Elder001:

Hey.
This is Shìt, you know?

What exactly are you trying to say with this post?
When did men start breast feeding babies?.

With a comprehension ability this shallow, I don't think you possess the basic cognitive requirements to participate in this debate. My elementary employment of satire should fall within the purview of your intellectual circumference.

Elder001:

for the big heart stuff ..
man stop saying shìt, things ain't so anymore .

I don't think any Self conscious and intelligent man will want to marry a wife that can't co-provide alongside him.
Even the so called traditional men or alpha males want women who'll contribute too.
While women folks are encouraging one another to "get that money" and be INDEPENDENT, most 21st century pussy-fied males like you are thinking of how to put their lazy, greasy hands on their wives' purses, shame on you!

Elder001:

65% or more of married American ladies share bills(co-provide) with their husbands... so wtf is your point?

Times have changed.. men do the chores too you know.

That's why it's called a civilized world ,yeah?

You follow?
I stagger at the weight of your gross inferiority complex and bemoan your ever eroding self-identity. Oh, America and her host of Western minions can serve as pointers in many areas of human endeavours, but not quite when it comes to morals and family values. Overwhelming statistical evidence shows a near-breakdown in family values in these cultures.

While I appreciate the fact that the demise of REAL MEN is looming, real men have always helped around the house with domestic chores, but it's always on voluntary basis and never on an obligatory criteria.

Your definition of civilization stems from a weak and pliant mindset, persuaded by the flickering lusters of the promise of an easy life.

3 Likes

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 9:40am On Jun 15, 2018
Elder001:

do yourself good by posting links to this statistics .

Nature indeed.. You must be living in a delusional world
I'm forced to ask. ..are you married?

They're all over the place. Do yourself some good and engage google.

If you're a real man, those assertions by me would drive home. It is basic.

No, the delusionist is you who ladens a woman with extra burden aside the natural stress and challenges being a woman entails.

Until you are one weaker in strength and can take in semen in your uterus and go through 9 months of gestation, push a baby out and nurse it while undergoing physical, emotional and psychlogical healing then can you comfortably sit your lazy ass down and EXPECT her to be a co-financial burden bearer as you.

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 15, 2018
postmann:

With a comprehension ability this shallow, I don't think you possess the basic cognitive requirements to participate in this debate. My elementary employment of satire should fall within the purview your intellectual circumference.

While women folks are encouraging one another to "get that money" and be INDEPENDENT, most 21st century pussy-fied males like you are thinking of how to put their lazy, greasy hands on their wives' purses, shame on you!

I stagger at the weight of your gross inferiority complex and bemoan your ever eroding self-identity. Oh, America and her host of Western minions can serve as pointers in many areas of human endeavours, but not quite when it comes to morals and family values. Overwhelming statistical evidence shows a near-breakdown in family values in these cultures.

While I appreciate the fact that the demise of REAL MEN is looming, real men have always helped around the house with domestic chores, but it's always on voluntary basis and never on an obligatory criteria.

Your definition of civilization stems from a weak and pliant mindset, persuaded by the flickering lusters of the promise of an easy life.

First of all, Do I know you from anywhere? Why quote me
with insults, clearly there’s something wrong with you. You
can argue and disagree without being ridiculous.

With a comprehension ability this shallow, I don't think you possess the basic cognitive requirements to participate in this debate. My elementary employment of satire should fall within the purview your intellectual circumference.

You can't manipulate me, okay?
That post meant that if a man expects his wife to provide financially then he should breast feed a child to the fullest to see how it looks like. No matter how you try to twist it even a madman will understand what you meant by that post.

If my wife can get her hands on my purse why shouldn't I get my hands on her purse too?

You clearly aren't as intelligent as you claim. There's not about inferiority complex about what I just said.
This is the 21st century not 1910 and family values have been redefined.

There's nothing real about being an alpha male. That you prefer to be a traditional or alpha male is a choice don't force it on others. Other men mustn't be like you.
There are men who prefer to share the house chores with their wives. It's only a matter of choice /preference.

Now ,who doesn't want an easy life?

There are two types of men in this world; the alpha males and the beta males.
again, that you prefer being an alpha male doesn't mean all men must be alpha.

Men now do house chores. women also provide financially.

Alpha males are men who don't share bills with their wives and won't help domestically and will always want their approval before anything is done in the home

while
beta males are men who share bills with their wives and also share house chores with their wives.

The alpha males are already declining in numbers globally.
Most of them have already embraced the beta ideology.

Africa is the only continent where alpha males are still dominant.

Enough said.

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 15, 2018
postmann:

They're all over the place. Do yourself some good and engage google.

If you're a real man, those assertions by me would drive home. It is basic.

No, the delusionist is you who ladens a woman with extra burden aside the natural stress and challenges being a woman entails.

Until you are one weaker in strength and can take in semen in your uterus and go through 9 months of gestation, push a baby out and nurse it while undergoing physical, emotional and psychlogical healing then can you comfortably sit your lazy ass down and EXPECT her to be a co-financial burden bearer as you.

I've been wasting my time with an absurd individual ever since.

Man you know what? nobody is forcing you to share bills with your wife.

Your life, your choice.

A time wasted can never be recovered -Abraham Lincoln [1837]

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 3:59am On Jun 16, 2018

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 4:00am On Jun 16, 2018
Elder001:

First of all, Do I know you from anywhere? Why quote me
with insults, clearly there’s something wrong with you. You
can argue and disagree without being ridiculous.

Funny how you seem incapable of taking one back in the chin.

Below is an earlier post from you in reference to me. This is NL, you punch and get punched. If you can't take it then walk away. But crying foul after being served with your own medicine is just another sad pointer to your intellectual hypocrisy.

Elder001:

The funny thing is he hasn't met up to 1% of the world's female population but he's making that useless generalization.

What I denoted from that post is that he's a guy or man with skewed 18th century mentality and probably living in a cave.

Elder001:

You can't manipulate me, okay?
That post meant that if a man expects his wife to provide financially then he should breast feed a child to the fullest to see how it looks like. No matter how you try to twist it even a madman will understand what you meant by that post.

Wrong! Too bad your comprehension ability is below par.

Elder001:

If my wife can get her hands on my purse why shouldn't I get my hands on her purse too?
There's a vacuum in between her "thighs", you're meant to fill her up and not to deplete her.

Elder001:

You clearly aren't as intelligent as you claim. There's not about inferiority complex about what I just said.
This is the 21st century not 1910 and family values have been redefined.
Values? Redefined? By who? By those whose culture and ideology you have swallowed whole like a sex-starved nympho mouths down a còck!

Elder001:

There's nothing real about being an alpha male. That you prefer to be a traditional or alpha male is a choice don't force it on others. Other men mustn't be like you.
There are men who prefer to share the house chores with their wives. It's only a matter of choice /preference.
Stop being a clown for once. You proposed your own idea of how you think "civilized" men should conduct themselves in matrimony and I expressed a contrary view. So stop being that emotionally imbalanced male with your cheap blackmail. You're just as guilty.

Elder001:

Now ,who doesn't want an easy life?
Before you stands this great barrier restricting your effectiveness in debating effectively -- basic comprehension of the English language.

Elder001:

There are two types of men in this world; the alpha males and the beta males.
again, that you prefer being an alpha male doesn't mean all men must be alpha.

Men now do house chores. women also provide financially.

Alpha males are men who don't share bills with their wives and won't help domestically and will always want their approval before anything is done in the home

while
beta males are men who share bills with their wives and also share house chores with their wives.

The alpha males are already declining in numbers globally.
Most of them have already embraced the beta ideology.

Africa is the only continent where alpha males are still dominant.

Enough said.

Wrong once again! The alpha male is every woman's dream as long as she's mentally and psychologically healthy. We ARE the last man standing, the warrior, the defender, the stand up guy.

Like in the movie Titanic, in the face of great danger to life we say WOMEN AND CHILDREN first to safety. But sissies like would SHARE everything! From finance to physical threats and dangers.

You need your testosterone level checked!

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 16, 2018
postmann:

Below is an earlier post from you in reference to me. This is NL, you punch and get punched. If you can't take it then walk away. But crying foul after being served with your own medicine is just another sad pointer to your intellectual hypocrisy.

There's a vacuum in between her "thighs", you're meant to fill her up and not to deplete her.

Values? Redefined? By who? By those whose culture and ideology you have swallowed whole like a sex-starved nympho mouths down a còck!

Stop being a clown for once. You proposed your own idea of how you think "civilized" men should conduct themselves in matrimony and I expressed a contrary view. So stop being that emotionally imbalanced male with your cheap blackmail. You're just as guilty.

Before you stands this great barrier restricting your effectiveness in debating effectively -- basic comprehension of the English language.

Wrong once again! The alpha male is every woman's dream as long as she's mentally and psychologically healthy. We ARE the last man standing, the warrior, the defender, the stand up guy.

Like in the movie Titanic, in the face of great danger to life we say WOMEN AND CHILDREN first to safety. But sissies like would SHARE everything! From finance to physical threats and dangers.

The Rise of the Beta Male
The alpha male, the iconic bad boy, has been making girl’s
hearts throb for years. But recently, despite all their chest
pounding, attention seeking, in your face behavior, their
appeal has been on the decline. .
Who exactly are the beta and alpha males? The alpha male is
commonly described as a powerful, aggressive, and
dominant man. He exudes confidence and is very physically
fit. Alphas display masculine qualities, such as a deep voice,
defined bone structure, and muscular physique. They are
often pictured as the “ladies’ man.” The beta on the other
hand is very introverted, and will avoid confrontation. He is
extremely intelligent, thoughtful, capable, and driven. Unlike
the alpha male he is smaller in stature and possibly even
scrawny. Essentially they are contrasting versions of each
other, and society is now favoring the beta version of the
male over the alpha.
This preference makes perfect sense from an evolutionary
prospective, and is supported by countless studies and
centuries of human behavior. Men cannot contribute
physiologically to parental investment. Women have to take
on the full burden of gestation, child birth, and lactation, so
when females look for long term mates they do not
necessarily put emphasis on physical appearance, but more
so on a man’s economic status or the resources he can
provide. Evolutionarily the male’s role is to provide his mate
with resources such as shelter and food, because he cannot
offer any physical contribution to the development of the
child. Women are therefore in a way evolutionarily
programmed to desire males who can provide them with
these resources. Early on in men’s evolutionary history the
physical prowess and domineering behavior of the alpha was
important in attaining basic and necessary resources. In
today’s society it is financial wealth that is needed to gain
these resources, and in this aspect it is the traits of the beta
that are more advantageous compared to the alpha. A recent
study was conducted analyzing personal advertisements of
over 1,100 heterosexual people. The results of the study
showed that for every one man who mentioned financial
resources as an important criterion for a mate, eleven women
did (Putts 190)! Alpha male behavior is on the decline in the
business world, it has even been shown to be detrimental to
the work place environment. Studies have been done that
illustrate “testosterone-choked males” actually struggle to
cooperate and act more egocentrically in groups. Bossy, in
your face alpha males can hinder the progress of projects
and intimidate fellow employees (“Testosterone”). Females
will not choose a resource deprived male for long term
relationships because they receive almost no benefits from
this association. Betas on the other hand are extremely
intelligent, capable, and often very successful so they can
provide females with the resources they desire.
Alpha males are also often pictured as a “ladies’ man,”
someone who can have their way with as many women as
they want. In nature the alpha male usually has the sole
mating rights to any female he wishes. This behavior has
somewhat translated to human alpha male behavior, and can
be explained by evolutionary mating choice patterns. Women
only put emphasis on physical attractiveness when it comes
to one night stands. Women know that the only contribution
they could obtain from this man is good genes, and physical
attractiveness and masculine qualities are two indicators of
good genes (Putts 197). Alpha males can further their own
reproductive success by taking advantage of this
evolutionary mating behavior of women, and reproducing with
as many women as possible. This kind of behavior can be
very beneficial to the alpha male, but females will receive no
economic benefit. Beta males ,on the other hand, offer
females the economic benefits they are looking for and in
some cases can also contribute good genes, and are there
for a more desirable long term mate.
The image of a desirable mate also began to shift when
women started to ardently fight for their rights and equality.
women have made tremendous progress in gaining equal
rights and opportunities in all aspects of their lives. .
With this movement toward women’s equality females do not
want a macho alpha male who acts superior to them; they do
not need a man to take care of them any longer. Women
comprise 46% of the total U.S. labor force, and women
business owners employ 35% more people than all the
Fortune 500 companies combined. There are about 9.1
million women-owned businesses in the U.S., a number that
encompasses nearly 40% of all businesses (“10 Surprising”).
The stereotypical image from the fifties, of a mother in an
apron tending to her children and cooking dinner for her
husband before he returns home from work is no longer the
norm. Women are almost expected to get a job today; it has
become the social norm to be a working mother. Women now
want an intelligent man who can share in their success and
also have success of his own. The beta male is the perfect
man for the “new women.” Beta males are successful but are
also more reserved and sensitive then alpha males. They are
not intimidated by a women’s success. Alpha males on the
other hand tend to overcompensate to prove their
masculinity. A successful woman could jeopardize their role
as the sole provider and diminish their masculinity.
The alpha male’s overcompensating masculine behavior is
believed to be due to homophobia. Alpha males displayed
such over bearing, loud, dominant, macho behavior because
they feel the need to prove there heterosexuality. When
homosexuals first started to fervently petition for gay rights,
there was little acceptance of their sexuality, and a large
amount of disapproval and discrimination. Even in 2001 fifty
three percent of the population thought relations were
morally wrong. Now fifty three percent of men think it is
morally acceptable and fifty one percent of women. If you
look at the statistics by generation, the younger generations
are even more accepting. Men eighteen to forty nine showed
that sixty nine percent think it is morally acceptable and fifty
nine percent of women in this age range did as well (Saad).
With these present trends, as time goes on homosexuality
will only become further accepted. With the acceptance of
homosexuality comes the decline in the alpha male behavior.
Heterosexual males feel less of a need to prove their
sexuality, and do not need to display such exaggerated
“straight” behavior. The term metrosexual has also allowed
straight males to relax their alpha behavior and display a
more beta male behavior. Men can now take care of
themselves, dress fashionably, and express a softer more
emotional side without being considered a homosexual.
Another social movement that has seriously affected the
male hierarchy is campaigns against bullying. Most people
do not think of bullying as a problem in the work environment
but this has been alpha male territory for years. And as I
previously stated, studies have shown that alpha male
behavior may actually be counter-productive when pertaining
to the business world. Beta males are not interested in
dominating others and are more likely to understand the
importance of encouragement and motivation over demands
and domination. Alpha male behavior does not provide an
efficient, healthy work environment. There has also been
legislation passed against harassment and discrimination in
the workplace to try and prevent this type of behavior.
However, the biggest influence on the downfall of the alpha
male is the bullying among teens.
Evolutionarily speaking he was always destined to be at the
top because of his abilities to provide resources and invest
faithfully in his mate, but social practices and behaviors
hindered this rise in the male hierarchy. Women have now
gained equality among men and no longer need alphas to
take care of them. Females are no longer obliged to tolerate
the alpha’s oppressive actions, and betas now have their
chance to prove themselves as desirable mates. With the
growing acceptance of homosexuality, and the establishment
of the term metrosexual, men do not have to try and
overcompensate to prove their heterosexuality. A male can
express a more sensitive introverted personality without
being considered gay. The tragedies of the past few years
with school shootings, and studies on the effects of bullying
have also become a stimulus for the fall of the alpha male.
Beta behavior is more appropriate as a role model for
impressionable kids and teens. Television shows and movies
have taken full advantage of this and have shown the beta is
now on top. Females are now drooling over little timid nerds,
and boys are looking up to them as their new role models.
The beta has successfully risen to the top of the male
hierarchy.
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 16, 2018
postmann:

]

You know what? you're way more stupid than I thought.

Your life ,your choice. I didn't marry to to all burden on my shoulders.

You're probably a village tout that has never left the chores of Africa.

Your mind is made up, I won't do anything to convince you.

[s]Before you stands this great barrier restricting your effectiveness in debating effectively -- basic comprehension of the English language.[/s]

Wrong once again! The alpha male is every woman's dream is long as she's mentally and psychologically healthy. We ARE the last man standing, the warrior, the defender, the stand up guy.

The only women that find interests in alpha males are African women and some Asian women.

Sorry I can't risk my life for anybody irrespective of the gender. You're a woman or whatever doesn't mean you're important than men.
You're equal to men so save yourself.
and as for the finance I'll continue to share bills with my wife even if I'm a billionaire.

You need your testosterone level checked

You're just a fool.. I'm done with you
Don't disturb my mentions because I won't reply.

I hate idiots.
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by postmann: 3:11pm On Jun 16, 2018
[s]
Elder001:

You know what? you're way more stupid than I thought.

Your life ,your choice. I didn't marry to to all burden on my shoulders.

You're probably a village tout that has never left the chores of Africa.

Your mind is made up, I won't do anything to convince you

The only women that find interests in alpha males are African women and some Asian women.

Sorry I can't risk my life for anybody irrespective of the gender. You're a woman or whatever doesn't mean you're important than men.
You're equal to men so save yourself.
and as for the finance I'll continue to share bills with my wife even if I'm a billionaire.

You're just a fool.. I'm done with you
Don't disturb my mentions because I won't reply.

I hate idiots.
[/s]

You're a piece of human dross from a skewed cultural experiment; a bio-cultural casualty and a victim of gender identification crisis. An epicene klutz who sacrificed his gender responsibility on the altar of a false promise. A modern day woman slave driver.

Those loud cheers that greeted your birth, the drinks that flowed in celebration of your sex, that hope that your father's legacy has been secured in the strength of your loins all colapsed on the fragility of your sick mind.

You have made a poor bargain, trading your self-dignity for a fool's promise, that you're wise and civilized when you adopt a modern fad and culture. What a loosed cùnt you are.

Lazy wuzzbag, anti-brideprize idiot. You love freebies so much, don't you? You should have gone full fledged parasitic and be a gigolo! Shameless waste of male headcount.

You found a canopy in "modern civilization" to hide from the rays of the true test of being a man.

When real men look at those feminine virtues in women when considering a potential lover, an underperforming sissy like you with low financial expectation has his greedy, bulbous eyes fixed on the size of her purse. Shameless he goat!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by MMotimo: 5:05pm On Jun 16, 2018
What this section really needs is one good HAPPILY MARRIED husband that can testify to marrying for love without regrets and having a spouse that he trusts completely, even in the weighty matter of finance. It takes spending time to assess compatibility during courtship.

As a couple, all of our assets and liabilities are joint even though right now, I only make half of what he makes. The disparity in our incomes has varied through the years with him making more but never once has there been a suggestion of this allotment of accounts. There are no "private accounts" we sink or swim together. Frankly, he has no interest in being the one managing the finances, it's just an added burden.

Before we got married, we each had our individual salary accounts but even then, we mentally pooled our money together and planned with it. Financial autonomy in marriage is over-rated. Ask my husband and he would tell you that peace of mind is at the top of his list. He probably has more peace than I do because he doesn't worry his head about what is happening to the money. I am the one that has to add and subtract and decide what goes where. Sometimes I ask for his input but often don't. Nobody is siphoning money to other people or secret projects.

We are one INDEED not just what the marriage certificate states.

Epistle looming LOL I will stop now. . . . .

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 16, 2018
MMotimo:
What this section really needs is one good HAPPILY MARRIED husband that can testify to marrying for love without regrets and having a spouse that he trusts completely, even in the weighty matter of finance. It takes spending time to assess compatibility during courtship.

As a couple, all of our assets and liabilities are joint even though right now, I only make half of what he makes. The disparity in our incomes has varied through the years with him making more but never once has there been a suggestion of this allotment of accounts. There are no "private accounts" we sink or swim together. Frankly, he has no interest in being the one managing the finances, it's just an added burden.

Before we got married, we each had our individual salary accounts but even then, we mentally pooled our money together and planned with it. Financial autonomy in marriage is over-rated. Ask my husband and he would tell you that peace of mind is at the top of his list. He probably has more peace than I do because he doesn't worry his head about what is happening to the money. I am the one that has to add and subtract and decide what goes where. Sometimes I ask for his input but often don't. Nobody is siphoning money to other people or secret projects.

We are one INDEED not just what the marriage certificate states.

Epistle looming LOL I will stop now. . . . .

smh

I hope you're contributing financially to the home and you didn't allow him bear all the burden?

Sorry I've I sound impolite ,okay? .

?
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by reciprokal: 2:03pm On Jun 17, 2018
Elder001:

smh

I hope you're contributing financially to the home and you didn't allow him bear all the burden?

Sorry I've I sound impolite ,okay? .

?
Mumu. Everyone is avoiding your madness. Manwhore!
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Fhemmmy: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2018
JupiterGeekVII:
I don't think they're many. People already have their own accounts before marriage. With marriage, they open a joint account where they pay bills from, and a savings account that remains untouched, so the only accounts that get opened upon marriage are just two: the joint and savings.

Why the new savings again during the marriage since according to you, they are both with accounts before the marriage?
Why cant they use the already opened account before marriage for the savings and is there any reason why the joint account can't be used for saving as well and just ONLY for paying BILLS
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by 2buffagain(m): 4:33pm On Jun 18, 2018
Fhemmmy:

Why the new savings again during the marriage since according to you, they are both with accounts before the marriage?
Why cant they use the already opened account before marriage for the savings and is there any reason why the joint account can't be used for saving as well and just ONLY for paying BILLS

That way the "Family Savings" is kept seperate from "Family Operations" money and isn't sitting in anyone's own singular account and there can be constraints.

I know structure isn't a typically valued thing in Naija, but it is a good practice to prevent future arguments and maintain financial harmony.

If you've ever run a business before you'd understand.
A family is basically like a joint venture.

Also, It is very hard to be fiscal or financially sensible if you are using your checking account as a savings account as well.
After 3-months worth of operational money, all other family ops money contributions should go to a savings account that can be locked down appropriately. Releasable by both, or one person only if the other is incapacitated or critically unavailable in some way.

All these things can be automated.
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Fhemmmy: 5:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
2buffagain:

That way the "Family Savings" is kept seperate from "Family Operations" money and isn't sitting in anyone's own singular account and there can be constraints.

I know structure isn't a typically valued thing in Naija, but it is a good practice to prevent future arguments and maintain financial harmony.

If you've ever run a business before you'd understand.
A family is basically like a joint venture.

Also, It is very hard to be fiscal or financially sensible if you are using your checking account as a savings account as well.
After 3-months worth of operational money, all other family ops money contributions should go to a savings account that can be locked down appropriately. Releasable by both, or one person only if the other is incapacitated or critically unavailable in some way.

All these things can be automated.

I have nothing against savings or all your theory . . .Anyways, i can't say much about what i dont know . . . BUT there are millions of people that are able to use same account where operations is being done as savings and they are doing well
Only when one of the party is overspending that you will need to now separate to prevent trouble
At the end of the day, one cap doesn't fit all heads
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by 2buffagain(m): 6:12pm On Jun 18, 2018
Fhemmmy:

I have nothing against savings or all your theory . . .Anyways, i can't say much about what i dont know . . . BUT there are millions of people that are able to use same account where operations is being done as savings and they are doing well
Only when one of the party is overspending that you will need to now separate to prevent trouble
At the end of the day, one cap doesn't fit all heads

I am sure.

But clearly you are still not getting what "Structure" means (Must be a naija thing).
It means things are set in place BEFORE any of all that happens so there is no need for any argumentative adjustments later in the future if anything happens.

It's a no-brainer.
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Fhemmmy: 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2018
2buffagain:

I am sure.

But clearly you are still not getting what "Structure" means (Must be a naija thing).
It means things are set in place BEFORE any of all that happens so there is no need for any argumentative adjustments later in the future if anything happens.

It's a no-brainer.

Bros or Madam, research me well . . . Maybe it will help you let go of "Must be Nija thing" sland
Inasmuch as you might be out of Nigeria, there are many in Nigeria doing better than we do in western world when it comes to marriage and finances . . . .
I like to hear of mankind thing and not hearing of something to be "Nija thing" again, just because it works for you whereever you are doesn't mean it will work for Mama Chioma in Aba.
Stop making it look like one cap fits all head
Because you are not able to run your account and be able to leave the rest in the account in USA or wherever you are doesn't mean that someone else in Kaduna can't . . . .
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Fhemmmy: 6:33pm On Jun 18, 2018
2buffagain:

I am sure.

It's a no-brainer.

And i am putting it to you sir, that NOT all things are set . . .Some things work well because you have to adjust to some unexpected . . .
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
I thought the write up was good advice.

I think the point of this post was to plan ahead. At least have a basic discussion about how finances will be handled. Every couple should customize the plan to their own unique circumstances.

A plan is better than no plan. A plan can be altered later.

1 Like

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by Naija4lifeYank: 7:58pm On May 14, 2019
Reminds me of a doctor lady here in the USA that stated that although she is willing to share and have accounts set up like you enumerated, she wanted control over the guy's account as well. I was like, you want the guy to come ask permission to spend his own money? Are you his wife or mother? Even mothers don't try to control spending after a certain age, which the hubby is way past.
All kinds of weird stuff.
At least she was better than another woman who said "my money is my own". In America? GTFOH!

2buffagain:

I see people not liking that I put love as number 4.
Here is the thing, love is an emotion. Emotions are like the sea. They rise and fall. During it's rise, it augments everything and makes all things sweeter, but during it's fall it wipes everything out. This is where STRUCTURE comes in.

Emotions are like a muscle. A Muscle without a skeletal structure to back it is a muscle that is sometimes impotent. ( Imagine if your arms worked like joysticks! grin )

It is these structures that keep the family operations together when +ve emotions aren't all that high between the couple.
This is why every establishment that has ever stood the test of time has "A Code" or "A Creed". It is a matter of sustenability.

On a side note, and totally unrelated from this topic.... Another example of a well recomended family creed would be "No matter how mad we are with each other, we do NOT let the sun set on our anger". Some people have woken up in hell because of that particular one...
But I digress. My point is, structure is needed for times of low emotion to keep things going as they must. And everyone must be commited to the Creed for peace of mind.

This is what kills men today. An inability to adapt to current realities.
If you have any plans of living anywhere else besides Nigeria, I humbly ask that you reconsider your disturbance to this 21st century mindset.
That said not even Nigeria is safe from this.

All societies are being setup in such a way that most homes may require income from both spouses. When that time comes, that is not the time when you want to start having that conversation with your spouse. Many men have falsely entered marriage with this mindset and are paying for it right now, while their wife considers finance "not her business" while she shovels and hides her own money to the detriment of the family, talking about "Remove your eyes from MY money. Go and find how to pay all the things you've been paying without me" .

Again, this is what happens when you place emotion over structure.

Fellas, No be only you waka come. Stop digging your early graves with this obsolete way of thinking. Put structures in place as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by 2buffagain(m): 5:58am On May 16, 2019
Naija4lifeYank:
Reminds me of a doctor lady here in the USA that stated that although she is willing to share and have accounts set up like you enumerated, she wanted control over the guy's account as well. I was like, you want the guy to come ask permission to spend his own money? Are you his wife or mother? Even mothers don't try to control spending after a certain age, which the hubby is way past.
All kinds of weird stuff.
At least she was better than another woman who said "my money is my own". In America? GTFOH!

That female doctor is either silly or does not trust the guy.

The "my money is my own, your money is ours" type are the female equivalents of the unattractive african caveman. They can go and find their intellectual mates.

A well adjusted young man cannot wife such a purely-id-driven creature...not if he values his sanity in this 21st century.
Re: How to handle finances in Marriage by 2buffagain(m): 1:31pm On Jul 09, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nairalanders Lie So Much? / Help My Brother Is Frustrating Me / Importance Of Having A Car Tracker In You Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.