Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) (2707 Views)

Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend / 70th Birthday: Etsu Nupe Alhaji Abubakar Receives VIP Magazine Publisher In Abuj / The Invasion Of Oyo Empire By Tsoede,The King Of Nupe In 1457 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by Almusty6060(m): 5:46am On Jun 14, 2018
The Nupe Kingdom occupies the northern part of the Igala Kingdom, an ethnic group located primarily in the Middle Belt and northern Nigeria. The Nupe call themselves Nupeci and refer to their language as Nupe and are the dominant group in Niger State, an important minority in Kwara State and present in Kogi State as well. Traditionally called the Tapa by the Yorubas, the Nupes trace their origin to Tsoede who fled the court of Idah and established towns along the Niger in the 15th century. The Nupe are divided into different subgroups, including Batau, Kyedye, Eghagi, Ebe, and Benu, along with several others that speak related languages. Some Nupe have always lived outside the group's boundaries, and others have lived in Nupeland. There are probably about 3.5 million Nupes, mostly in Niger State, although a small but growing diaspora of Nupe can be found in Knowle in the West Midlands of England. The Nupe language is also spoken in Kwara and Kogi States. They are primarily Muslims, with a few Christians and followers of African Traditional Religion. The Nupe people have several local, traditional rulers. The Etsu Nupe (Bida) is not Nupe and is actually part of the Fula tribe but they came to rule the Bida in 1806. Many Nupe people often have tribal scars on their faces (similar to an old Yoruba tradition), some to identify their prestige and the family of which they belong as well as for protection, as well as jewellery adornment. But these traditions are dying out in certain areas. Their art is often abstract. They are well known for their wooden stools with patterns carved onto the surface. Nupe brass smiths (tswata muku) are found mostly in Bida. The woodcarving tradition of the Nupe does not depend on the ceremonial or ritual use of artifacts but is almost entirely "art for art's sake." In Nupe communities religious rituals are relegated
to different officials. At Doko the Dibo Saba ritual addressed to an ancestor chief is performed by the chief, while the sako ritual, which involves a small group of hereditary hunters, is performed by the head of that group. The gunnu priest is known as Gunnuko (Great gunnu) or, more specifically, Ndazo, "the rare man." In Jebba the Ejuko is the guardian of the lineage of Tsoede. The importance of these rituals has not shielded them from the impact of cultural change. After Islamization these activities were curtailed, and they now are regarded as Satanic worship. Most Nupe's are farmers, and the staple crops are millet, guinea-corn, yams, rice, and groundnuts. Cattle rearing is engaged in by the Bororo Fulani, who move their herds from one pasture to another
as necessity dictates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvR1g4qUvDc&itct=CAYQpDAYCCITCNOh3Jyr0tsCFdVF4AoduywPLjIHcmVsYXRlZEjfkaPt1NbWzrcB&gl=NG&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t51atU2oyN8&itct=CAYQpDAYCyITCJe8pdqs0tsCFQagVQod7RcJODIHcmVsYXRlZEi3-NLUuLCd-jI%3D&gl=NG&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google
Re: I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by youngest85(m): 5:48am On Jun 14, 2018
Kun be tun
Re: I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by OoshaRe: 5:48am On Jun 14, 2018
I'm half Nupe myself and I'm proud of the culture. This is an interesting thread

@OP. Kindly elaborate on the topic, this deserves to be on the front page

Cc : lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by Anigreat: 5:50am On Jun 14, 2018
shocked

Every human with sense should be proud of his/her culture.
Re: I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by MikeBetty(m): 6:05am On Jun 14, 2018
If You Are Not Proud Of Your Culture, Na Who For Be?
Re: I Am Very Proud Of My Culture (nupe) by 9jakool: 7:46am On Jun 14, 2018
Interesting! Be proud of your ethnic group!
Nupes and Yorubas have always had a history that goes back centuries, especially with the Kyedye, Gbedegi, and Eghagi.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Dutch Return Head Of Ghana King / The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo / Amazing Photos: See How Prison In Norway Looks Like

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.