Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,792 members, 7,813,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo (2695 Views)

Real Hausa Native Names And Their Meanings / "Amebo" In Nigeria Parlance: Its Origin And Meaning / List Of Obas Of The Benin Empire ( 1180 -present) And History Of Benin Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 8:57am On Nov 04, 2021
My NL name is Isusugbaghada meaning BIG DEVIL/EVIL In Edo language gotten from the first OBA N IKHUENE Y EDO (the oba of ikhuen that never enter benin) of Evekoi

I have made my research for long and I have come to understand that the names and meaning of Benin obas are not given directly in most case and it take several understanding to really know it meaning even if you understand Edo language for example EREDIAUWA is interpreted "I came to settle my people" (.IREDIAUWA), EWUARE, is interpreted "trouble has stop" ( OWORAE).

So in most cases I have come understand that the Oba of Benin derive their names from
1) the kingdom present condition
2) the kingdom future condition
3) their capacity as a person

For example Oba orhogbua is interpreted as " prophecy came true"( OROGBUA) ORO is another word for secret/ prophecy in Edo language and GBUA means "for something to come out" now let's not forget how orhogbua came to be king as he was given the option of being a missionary or king

2) again oba Esigie is interpreted "don't challenge my right of royalty"
This is a perfect word of warming to his brother Arhuanhuan( the giant)

3) oba ore_ oghene is interpreted "God own here" ORE means compound/place OGHENE means God
Now let's not forget that first problem benin had with European was with the Dutch so the name is like a warming to the Dutch

4)Oba Ohen discribe personality and it means "wise one" in Edo language Ohen is a Native doctor

5) oba Ewuare is interpreted "trouble has stop" this is a name given in reference to the trouble of all the four sons of Oba Ohen ( Oba Egbeka, Oba orobiru, oba uwaifiokun and Ewuare) whereby oba Ewuare junior brothers became king instead of him
The Ogidigan attach to Ewuares name is actually not a coronation name but a word people used in reference to the things he was doing
Ogidigan as a word does not literally mean GREAT but shock. But lets not forget that for something to shock you then it most be great...
I think that will give us the reason for the word great.

Note: mostly in Benin people only make use of the word OGIDIGAN when they are surprise or shock and the N ( ie N' OGIDIGAN) Is just a letter for description.

Lastly

Oba Ovoranmwen is interpreted "the rising son "Ovenranmwen this name refer to both present and future

1) present because of the saga of princes through Benin and Ewohimi and his rising after the saga
2)future simply deal with the British
So the Nogbaisi was a word attach to ovoranmwen after the British saga and the word has to do with his name spreading ( fame)

But I would really say the ability to decipher most word in Benin you must understand most ancient words in Edo language

Oba names are Edoid and are done in form of puzzle and top secret only to be explain normally after coronation

Understanding common Edo language cannot help with the names

* Eweka I (1180–1246)
Meaning__ I complete/ did it myself

* Uwuakhuahen (1246–1250)
Meaning__am endowed with wisdom

* Henmihen (1250–1260)
Meaning ___struggle of two forces

* Ewedo (1260–1274)
Meaning__ I fought for my progress

* Oguola (1274–1287)
Meaning__I came through a hard path

* Edoni (1287–1292)
Meaning__progress has come

* Udagbedo (1292–1329)
Meaning__success never stops progress

* Ohen (1329–1366)
Meaning..... Healer/ wise one

* Egbeka (1366–1397)
Meaning__ am complete/fit

* Orobiru (1397–1434)
Meaning__it's in a steady/peaceful hands

* Uwaifiokun (1434–1440)
Meaning __ wealth can't divide sea

* Ewuare the Great (1440–1473)
Meaning__Trouble has ended

* Ezoti (1473–1475)
Meaning __ Bringer of joy/ happiness

* Olua (1475–1480)
Meaning__It was difficult

* Ozolua (1480–1504)
Meaning __ He/ I choose the hard path

* Esigie (1504–1547)
Meaning__Don't challenge my royalty

* Orhogbua (1547–1580)
Meaning__ prophecy has come true

* Ehengbuda (1580–1602)
Meaning__ knowledge don't stop success

* Ohuan (1602–1656)
Meaning __He is wise

* Ohenzae (1656–1661)
Meaning__wise one was responsible

* Akenzae (1661–1669)
Meaning__ I am responsible

* Akengboi (1669–1675)
Meaning__I have cause surprises

* Akenkpaye (1675–1684)
Meaning__I am one in this world

* Akengbedo (1684–1689)
Meaning__ I will not stop the progress

* Ore-Oghene (1689–1701)
Meaning__ God owns here

* Ewuakpe (1701–1712)
Meaning __ Trouble loom

* Ozuere (1712–1713)
Meaning__He is the savior

* Akenzua I (1713–1740)
Meaning__ I choose my people

* Eresoyen (1740–1750)
Meaning__ I am pleased

* Akengbuda (1750–1804)
Meaning __I will not stop the success

* Obanosa (1804–1816)
Meaning __ king that's God

* Ogbebo (1816)
Meaning__I / home can prophesy

* Osemwende (1816–1848)
Meaning __ everything has it day

* Adolo (1848–1888)
Meaning ___peace

* Ovonramwen Nogbaisi (1888–1914)
Meaning __ the rising sun

* Eweka II (1914–1933)

* Akenzua II (1933–1978)

* Erediauwa I (1979–2016)
Meaning__I came to settle my people

*Ewuare 11( 2016_ present

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by gregyboy(m): 11:08am On Nov 04, 2021
Wow kudos you have giving we edos a bonus on this your thread to a further deep understanding on benin history

Etinosa123
Samuk
Valirex
Areafada1
Areafada2
Etinosa1234
KingOkon

My NL name is Isusugbaghada meaning BIG DEVIL/EVIL In Edo language gotten from the first OBA N IKHUENE Y EDO (the oba of ikhuen that never enter benin) of Evekoi

Can you tell the story behind the bolded

4 Likes

Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 11:25am On Nov 04, 2021
gregyboy:
Wow kudos you have giving we edos a bonus on this your thread to a further deep understanding on benin history

Etinosa123
Samuk
Valirex
Areafada1
Areafada2
Etinosa1234

KingOkon

I truly appreciate you
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by valirex: 11:51am On Nov 04, 2021
Nice one, I just learnt something new.

Ẹdorisiagbọn
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Etrusen(m): 12:44pm On Nov 04, 2021
Personally I appreciate this and I really understand the write up

Thank you
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Etrusen(m): 12:49pm On Nov 04, 2021
valirex:
Nice one, just something new.

Ẹdorisiagbọn

Bro it can't be said to be new because nobody have taken time to explain all this except when a new king is crown the particular name is explain

For me I appreciate him

Anyway long time bro
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 2:03pm On Nov 04, 2021
valirex:
Nice one, just something new.

Ẹdorisiagbọn

Thank you man

But if you need any clarification you can ask

It will go a long way
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by valirex: 2:21pm On Nov 04, 2021
Etrusen:

Bro it can't be said to be new because nobody have taken time to explain all this except when a new king is crown the particular name is explain

For me I appreciate him

Anyway long time bro

Bro it's a mistake, I meant to say I just learnt something new
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by valirex: 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Thank you man

But if you need any clarification you can ask

It will go a long way

Bro your knowledge is very vast, and it's properly explained. If you have more please share with us and tag me.
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2021
valirex:

Bro your knowledge is very vast, and it's properly explained. If you have more please share with us and tag me.

Thanks a million bro

It very important to share knowledge for the proper advancement of our people

But I would really say the ability to discipher most word in Benin you must understand most ancient words in Edo language

Oba names are Edoid and are done in form of puzzle and top secret only to be explain normally after coronation

One love bro

2 Likes

Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by gregyboy(m): 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2021
Etrusen:
Personally I appreciate this and I really understand the write up

Thank you

I forgot to quote your name, we nor dey see your post again
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Etrusen(m): 8:57pm On Nov 04, 2021
gregyboy:

I forgot to quote your name, we nor dey see your post again

Yeah Bro !! Nowadays is a very tight time for me trying to always put things in place my bro although I do come online but the urge and time to comment is always not there especially when most things said are the same
But this caught my attention and the dude really did well I must say.
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Etrusen(m): 8:58pm On Nov 04, 2021
valirex:

Bro it's a mistake, I meant to say I just learnt something new

Ok
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 5:49am On Nov 06, 2021
gregyboy:

Etinosa123
Samuk
Valirex
Areafada1
Areafada2
Etinosa1234
KingOkon

Can you tell the story behind the bolded

Isusugbaghada was one of the magician that lived and worked for Oba Ewuare the great just like the great Esan magician Okpota

Isusugbaghada was a very powerful man who worship the deity Okhuaihe and at this period there nothing like Oba n ikhuen as the title was created by Oba Ewuare

Reason..

As it's known in old Benin, when an individual becomes too powerful he will be restricted from seeing the Oba for security reason

2) the title Was to thank him for service rendered

Till today the Oba of Benin and the Oba n ikhuen only see each other once in their life time ( ie the Oba most visit the palace of the Oba n ikhuen ) before ascending the throne for fortification purpose and after that they are not permited to see again in order to follow the existing principle set by Oba Ewuare

This current Oba also did it and previous Oba also did it that's when you will hear people saying that will be visiting Evekoi today

Evekoi as a word actually means "deep secret or strong words" and the Oba of ikhuen is an Oba with function only to the Oba of Benin

If not for these today's society, there are individuals that are not permitted to just enter Benin like that eg
Oba n ikhuen
Ohen olokun urhonigbe
Ohen ukoni
Ohen olokun ughoton Asonmwenriri

I greet you bro

4 Likes

Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by valirex: 8:06am On Nov 06, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Isusugbaghada was one of the magician that lived and worked for Oba Ewuare the great just like the great Esan magician Okpota

Isusugbaghada was a very powerful man who worship the deity Okhuaihe and at this period there nothing like Oba n ikhuen as the title was created by Oba Ewuare

Reason..

As it's known in old Benin, when an individual becomes too powerful he will be restricted from seeing the Oba for security reason

Till today the Oba of Benin and the Oba n ikhuen only see each other once in their life time ( ie the Oba most visit the palace of the Oba n ikhuen ) before ascending the throne for fortification purpose and after that they are not permited to see again in order to follow the existing principle set by Oba Ewuare

This current Oba also did it and previous Oba also did it that's when you will hear people saying that will be visiting Evekoi today

Evekoi as a word actually means "deep secret or strong words" and the Oba of ikhuen is an Oba with function only to the Oba of Benin

If not for these today's society, there are individuals that are not permitted to just enter Benin like that eg
Oba n ikhuen
Ohen olokun urhonigbe
Ohen ukoni

I greet you bro

What an Epitome of Knowledge you're
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 8:50am On Nov 06, 2021
valirex:

What an Epitome of Knowledge you're

Thanks a million

1 Like

Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by samuk: 9:50am On Nov 07, 2021
Nice one, it's about time the Benin start to write their history. Another nail in the coffin of those that keep claiming that the oba of Benin is yoruba. The Benin culture and monarchical system is very unique and uncomparable to none in Nigeria, although there are several imitations.

Name of crown princes are also carefully selected.

I believe there are actually three other traditional personalities that are forbidden to enter the city of Benin after coronation of an Oba.
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by samuk: 10:07am On Nov 07, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Reason..

Oba n ikhuen
Ohen olokun urhonigbe
Ohen ukoni

I greet you bro

I already commented before I saw this. You are on point.

Benin history is so exciting when the researches are done by Benin themselves.

I was also looking at the reasons why the Iyoba or Queen mother palaces were traditionally stationed in lower Uselu outside of the old Benin city proper, I believe someone did a research on the old addresses of Iyoba Palaces along the Uselu Lagos Road. While most of these Iyoba palaces no longer existed, the traditional council should erect plaques with brief inscriptions in these locations.

The Iyobas were also allowed to have her own chiefs.

We are drag here and spend so much time debunking lies about our history instead of writing our own.
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by Isusugbaghada: 7:15pm On Nov 08, 2021
My brother personality I don't have time to argue with outsiders about my own history

Anyway thank you very much
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by sotall(m): 7:52am On Nov 11, 2021
Edo nimose
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by NaijaphiliaBlog: 5:05pm On Nov 13, 2021
Very informative write-up. Thanks!

For the detailed history of the invasion of Benin Kingdom in 1897, see the link below:

https://naijaphilia.com/2021/11/13/naija-history-1897-invasion-of-benin-kingdom/
Re: The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo by AreaFada2: 11:41pm On Nov 15, 2021
samuk:

I already commented before I saw this. You are on point.

Benin history is so exciting when the researches are done by Benin themselves.

I was also looking at the reasons why the Iyoba or Queen mother palaces were traditionally stationed in lower Uselu outside of the old Benin city proper, I believe someone did a research on the old addresses of Iyoba Palaces along the Uselu Lagos Road. While most of these Iyoba palaces no longer existed, the traditional council should erect plaques with brief inscriptions in these locations.

The Iyobas were also allowed to have her own chiefs.

We are drag here and spend so much time debunking lies about our history instead of writing our own.
As far as I can recollect, the Iyoba still has her own royal court with chiefs.

In addition, the Iyoba is number 5 among the town chiefs (Eghaevbo n'Ore) led by the Iyase/Prime minister. Of course the list of town chiefs is longer than below. The first 4 are called Ikadele n'Ene or the Four Pillars.
Iyase
Esogban
Eson
Osuma
Iy’Oba (Iye-Oba)
Esama
Ologbose (Ologbosere)
Osula
Ima (Imaran)
Obobaifo
Obarisiagbon
Obaraye
Obasuyi-Noghaevho
Obaseki

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Ajegun Todaju / Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo / How Are You Spending Your Saturday..?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.